PDA

View Full Version : refused evolutions

Ojkoj
2nd December 2005, 5:53 PM
does anyohne else refuse to evolve a certain pokemon? i just hate typhlosians but love quilavas, so i keep a quilava. does anyone else do that?

Altmer
2nd December 2005, 8:13 PM
I refuse to evolve stone-evolving Pokemon until they have all the level-up moves I want them to have. Does that count?

Other than that, no. Evolved Pokemon are usually stronger, and I want the strongest team available.

Ojkoj
2nd December 2005, 11:33 PM
yeah like i wasnt gonna evolve growlithe till it learned flamethrower. i just love the way quilava looks but i hate the way typhlosion is. i was just wondering if anyone does that.

Altmer
2nd December 2005, 11:34 PM
I disagree, Typhlosion is badass. \m/

Trillian
2nd December 2005, 11:57 PM
Heh, I never evolve growlithe! If I have to, I catch another growlithe and evolve it, but I always keep the one in my party in its first form. Other than that, I like to evolve pokémon once they've learned all the level-up moves that I want them to learn.

blaze boy
3rd December 2005, 12:12 AM
If you keep them unevolve then a fully evolved team can wipe you out because there stats will be better than your unevolved team. And I am talking about link battle not ingame because they have been program to lose.

Ojkoj
3rd December 2005, 12:19 AM
i very rarley dont evolve. im not sure if i wnat to evolve growlithe or not. im a little obsessed. lately ive been to lazy on my gold as it is.:0

Ojkoj
3rd December 2005, 12:21 AM
I disagree, Typhlosion is badass. \m/
i kno thats what most people say. im a little wierd so whatever.

Trillian
3rd December 2005, 12:27 AM
Well, they're not programmed to lose, but I'll agree they're pretty easy. But I don't really battle with 'teh 0ober-strong team of do0m' that consists of a metagross, starmie/alakazam, tyranboah, skarmbliss, curselax et al, because that spoils the game for me. I prefer using a team that I chose to make and I have fun with them. When I battle over link/WA it's not competitive battle seeing as barely anyone around battles at all. I despise the idea that pokémon are only tools - get the strongest and you win. It defeats the originality and variety of teams, so I prefer to go with my favourites, treat them like team mates despite the fact (and I know) that they are pixellated images, and play the game the way I want to play it, with a team that is completely my own. I don't care if my opponent's charizard's wing attack takes growlithe out (it doesn't, btw) because I chose to keep it like that and I love it being a growlithe. I just wouldn't like it as much if it were an arcanine.

pikadon92
3rd December 2005, 12:47 AM
Press the B button if while your quilava is in the evoultion process. Or let it hold an everstone. I alway use that method on four of my pokemons.

blaze boy
3rd December 2005, 1:06 AM
Well, they're not programmed to lose, but I'll agree they're pretty easy. But I don't really battle with 'teh 0ober-strong team of do0m' that consists of a metagross, starmie/alakazam, tyranboah, skarmbliss, curselax et al, because that spoils the game for me. I prefer using a team that I chose to make and I have fun with them. When I battle over link/WA it's not competitive battle seeing as barely anyone around battles at all. I despise the idea that pokémon are only tools - get the strongest and you win. It defeats the originality and variety of teams, so I prefer to go with my favourites, treat them like team mates despite the fact (and I know) that they are pixellated images, and play the game the way I want to play it, with a team that is completely my own. I don't care if my opponent's charizard's wing attack takes growlithe out (it doesn't, btw) because I chose to keep it like that and I love it being a growlithe. I just wouldn't like it as much if it were an arcanine.

I spelt programmed wrong didn't I?

Anyway I am not saying that not letting your pokemon evolving to is bad because I was the same because my Charmander stayed as a Charmander but I let it evolve because I felt it for the best to be stornger but at the end the day it is your choice.

Also Pikachu in yellow didn't evolve because it didn't want to evolve as it was his choice.

Would this be better in pokepoll?

Ojkoj
3rd December 2005, 1:10 AM
Press the B button if while your quilava is in the evoultion process. Or let it hold an everstone. I alway use that method on four of my pokemons.
yup my quilava holds an everstone. whats nice about growlithe is that i can take my time and choose. i like growlithes better, but the strength of an arcanoine is excelent and growlithe is out of move to learn so thats not a problem. im kinda in the middle. but im lazy so my growlithe will probably stay a growlithe.;058; ;059; hmmmmmmmmm.......... hard choice. yeah it would be a better poll........... i never thot of that.... my bad. thanks for teh idea.

blaze boy
3rd December 2005, 1:20 AM
yup my quilava holds an everstone. whats nice about growlithe is that i can take my time and choose. i like growlithes better, but the strength of an arcanoine is excelent and growlithe is out of move to learn so thats not a problem. im kinda in the middle. but im lazy so my growlithe will probably stay a growlithe.;058; ;059; hmmmmmmmmm.......... hard choice. yeah it would be a better poll........... i never thot of that.... my bad. thanks for teh idea.

You can PM a mod to move it if you want.

Guy
3rd December 2005, 3:24 AM
i always evolve. imo evolved forms of Pokemon look cooler anyway.

Ojkoj
3rd December 2005, 4:05 AM
nah its no big deal. i just have to remember polls in kthe future. i always forget about polls

Ultra_Espeon
3rd December 2005, 4:59 AM
I borrowed my friend's silver (i have gold) and he had an everstone attached to his cindaquil. I took it off for another item and you should have seen him when i gave it back and he had a tyflosion (sp??).

Angeling
3rd December 2005, 5:15 AM
Well, I would want to do that.. but then they kind of go down easier than if they had evolved during battles. But they are still the same Pokémon, even if they evolve or not.

But I would stop an evolution if that Pokémon learns a move at the first form and not the second.. i.e.; Numel for Flamethrower, Mudkip for Hydro Pump.. and aware of the skill(s) they will miss for cancelling the 'normal' evolution.

All in all, I usually evolve my Pokémon because of that stats and moves.. except Teddiursa in XD. I will never evolve it. <_< At least not there. And I took him out of my party because of the fear that I will accidently let it evolve, and to wait for when I beat the game to trade for an Everstone.

Trillian
3rd December 2005, 9:20 PM
I spelt programmed wrong didn't I?

Oh no, that's not what I was implying! I was only trying to put stress on the word 'programmed', for emphasis. Oops!

Anyway, I get what you're saying. I just prefer growlithe over arcanine because growlithe's my favourite pok&#233;mon, but I understand the opinion of a lot of people in this thread. I evolve just about any other pok&#233;mon eventually, but I like to keep them unevolved until they learn the last of the moves I want them to learn at that stage. It can help, especially if you're restricted on what level your pok&#233;mon can be. Say you have a badge that allows pok&#233;mon up to level 50 to obey you, but the move you want your final evolved form pok&#233;mon to learn is at lv.55. But the basic form learns it at lv.45. Then you can teach it the attack in its basic form, and evolve it into its fully-evolved pok&#233;mon under level 50 with the move you want it to learn. It's come in dead handy for me on more than one occasion.

XSilverStarboyX
3rd December 2005, 9:55 PM
Agreed, but I did keep Pidgeotto because I like it better than Pidgeot. I feel the same way about Chikorita and Pikachu;152;

Wooster
4th December 2005, 1:20 AM
I always end up fully evolving my pokemon, and I evolve them generally as soon as possible. that way I get to spend time training all forms of a pokemon. for example evolve belsprout ASAP, so that I can use weepinbell untill it learns razor leaf and its time to evolve.

but leaving pokemon unevolved is silly. except in the case of pikachu, and thats ONLY if you get your hands on a lightball....

indigestible_wad
4th December 2005, 3:49 AM
Sometimes pokemon might have a better stat from their evolved forms, like scyther's speed or vigoroth's vital spirit. Also, like said before me, pikachu's light ball stance. There are a few other pokeomn like that. Then there are the pokemon that only learn moves when in the unevolved form. But usually you still evolve those later.

Flame Sabre
4th December 2005, 8:06 AM
I guess only Pikachu from Yellow would count. That damned thing refused to evolve anyway. :X

Other than that, no. I always evolve my Pokemon, mainly from Pokedex purposes. I mean, suppose I have a Pidgeotto, and I need Pidgeot's data in my dex; so I evolve it.

Besides, I like evolved forms anyway. 8D

MidnightScott
4th December 2005, 8:09 AM
Pikachu is about it. It's the only Pokémon I never evolved because I like Pikachu better than Raichu.

~Scott;229;

Chilled2m7
6th December 2005, 10:27 PM
Sometimes, in order to make in-game challanging, I don't let my starter evolve. It gets pretty interesting (hard) when your facing off the elite 4 with a level 50 totodile.

Skiks
6th December 2005, 11:55 PM
I guess only Pikachu from Yellow would count. That damned thing refused to evolve anyway. :X

If you trade the pikachu from Yellow it would evolve. Why would you though because when traded to GSC it has a Lightball. =D I usually evolve all my pokemon except for the likes of pikachu.

Torchic23
6th December 2005, 11:59 PM
This should probably be in General Pokemon discussion because not everyone has a Gold/Silver/Crystal version.
Anyways it's been so long since I've played those games I've forgotten.I never evolve Bulbasuars.They're just so cute the way they are

king krab kingler
7th December 2005, 12:10 AM
I never evolve Gastly untill it learns good moves,I always catch one in sprout tower every game I restart!!:D

Yuusha
7th December 2005, 1:20 AM
I really only do that to Stone Evolve pokemon as most of them are just plain horrible without some of the latter moves learned by their first or second forms.

Otherwise I let them evolve as soon as possible.

Kasaioni
7th December 2005, 1:45 PM
I never don't evolve my pokemon, the evolved froms are better!

poke_life
7th December 2005, 10:15 PM
Id never not evolve a pokemon, like people have said before me, i want the strongest team possible

kidumbreon
8th December 2005, 1:39 AM
lol.fully evovled poke are always better.TYRANITAR...DRAGONITE...CHARIZARD...AMPHARO S...well there are more and a lot powerfull than puny little pre-evolved poke. Yeah they are cute but come on...there is no place for weaklings in the poke world.keep the cute ones in your box cause the ones that push you forward to become the champion are the strong ones.
-pCe

DJ Panic!
8th December 2005, 2:18 AM
fully evovled poke are always better.TYRANITAR...DRAGONITE...CHARIZARD...AMPHARO S...well there are more and a lot powerfull than puny little pre-evolved poke. Yeah they are cute but come on...there is no place for weaklings in the poke world.keep the cute ones in your box cause the ones that push you forward to become the champion are the strong ones.
-pCe
Not necessarily(Spelling) A lot of un-evolved pokemon are strong,so are Evolved Forms.But,a lot of people keep their pokemon un-evolved.
Have you ever Read Manga(Yellow Series) or seen Anime?
They keep their pokemon un-evolved and they still win battles.
So,a lot of un-evolved pokemon are strong.

Ojkoj
8th December 2005, 4:03 AM
This should probably be in General Pokemon discussion because not everyone has a Gold/Silver/Crystal version.
Anyways it's been so long since I've played those games I've forgotten.I never evolve Bulbasuars.They're just so cute the way they are
Sorry about that, iwas in thke gold and silver place, and i thot about how i dont evolve quilava

Wooster
8th December 2005, 4:31 AM
actually I'm starting to agree with ojikoj.... I mean who cares what you do with your pokemon ingame... you can still overlevel untill your pikachu destroys the elite four... I mean... ingame you can use moves like hyperbeam to feel sweet... I mean its a move called hyper beam.... >_>... when you start getting into netbattle and link battles, then its when things get serious. and you focus on the power of pokemon and movesets and balance. and in a competitive environment, alot of cool pokemon just find no place... like lets say I love natu, and don't want to evolve them ever so I don't, then I decide to have a link battle, so I evolve it for power. hey good job me, but Xatu still gets destroyed in competitive play. its just the way things go .___. so you may as well do whatever you want ingame and enjoy the pokemon and moves you enjoy and not worry about the power of individual pokemon unless you plan on BATALHARing against real opponents.

thats why my developing gold ingame team is
Piloswine
Xatu
Chinchou (just caught)
Houndour (just hatched)
Miltank.... untill it learns heal bell then I'll swap it out for Granbull.

with the exception of houndoom and my current Miltank none of these will be terribly usefull in a GSC ou match. xatu and swine can do allright in uu. but thats about it.

well those are my 2 cents. do what ya like. it doesn't matter unless your going to BATALHAR for real.

Ojkoj
8th December 2005, 9:37 PM
My lvl. 50(at the time) quilava beat a lvl. 50 typhlosion, yes they are stronger but it really doesnt matter to me. ne way, i also hate unevolved ones too, like sentret, but i love furrets

Master Mewtwo
8th December 2005, 10:10 PM
It all really depends on the Pok&#233;mon, eventually I will evolve them all, but I keep them unevolved to learn certain moves and if I just like them the way they are.

Master Mewtwo

Steely
10th December 2005, 6:48 AM
I don't evolve some mostly only because I like the way they are. Like Dragonair and Ivysaur, they're the only ones I can think of at the moment. I also usually keep pokemon that need a stone to evolve and level them up to get good moves. Since usually if you use a stone to evolve them at a low level they don't exactly have the best moveset.

Alastor DMc
12th December 2005, 4:05 AM
I've played many games without evolving anyone on my team, just to up the difficulty a bit. I rarely play competitivly, so that doesn't come up often, but playing and beating the game with Cyndaquil, Pidgey, Mareep, Bellsprout, Wooper and Sentret is a lot harder and more fun then with their evolved counterparts, expecially when you've played through 3 or 4 times already.

Finnmonster
12th December 2005, 4:33 PM
I haven't evolved my Growlithe yet because I haven't found any Fire Stones yet. And anyway, the reason to evolve it into Arcanine is Extremespeed. But actually, I like Growlithe. Haha, I want to see how well it battles against Red's Venusaur. Growlithe's been awesome, the only Pokémon in my team I haven't evolved.

ShadowAlakazam
13th December 2005, 10:11 AM
I rarely stop a pokemon from leveling up anyway. But sometimes I try to stop a pokemon like magikarp and metapod from evolving. Why magikarp? Theres this guy near the lake of rage so I try to get the biggest magikarp I can. So far I have a record of Level58 Magikarp. And metapod, you want to see the special attack stat skyrocket so sometimes I go get metapods in the bug catching contest and train them up a level just to see their special attack go up when they evolve into butterfree. But my team on gold, I never hesitate to evolve them since people usually prefer the final evolutions over some cutie pie. So in conclusion: looks < stats

Californian_DJ
19th December 2005, 1:11 AM
Well, call me crazy, but I rarely evolve my Pok&#233;mon right away, I mean, unless you count the first time I played Pok&#233;mon blue, but, well, I didn't realy know what I could and couldn't do just yet. but the truth is I have a certain liking for the unevolved Pok&#233;mon, and I usually keep them like that untill the are somewhere in their level 20's. don't ask me why, it has no strategical reason. it's just the way I like to play. hasn't been bad for my results either, I mean, so far, I've lost anly a few times. when my Pok&#233;mon evolve, thewy usually are strong anyway, so some people might evolve them just for good stats, I just don't...'might just be me and beiong silly, I dunno

;133; Californian DJ ;133;

SealElement
19th December 2005, 11:07 PM
I trained my Eevee up until it learned Baton Pass and got good stats, then started loving it and all that
for an Espeon.

Kyptointe Krunch
30th December 2005, 7:56 AM
I have to agree with you there I always evolve immedately,unless its a stone or through trade.

Ben Kenobi
30th December 2005, 2:34 PM
I always evolve my Pokemon as soon as possible except if it's through use of a stone, I always make them learn certain moves before evolving as they won't be able to learn them 'naturally'.

Wert_the_Wolf
30th December 2005, 5:53 PM
i just hate typhlosians but love quilavas, so i keep a quilava. does anyone else do that?
I really can't think of a single time i did that...except when i was beating yellow version to get the pokemon not on Crystal, i didnt evolve Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle...or Omanyte...

Mew Two
1st January 2006, 10:42 PM
I would keep the pokemon I would trade from yellow to sliver unevloved and low levels so I could fill up my poedex on silver and so they can learn better moves. other than that I evlove them as soon as possible.

Munchlax --> Snorlax
5th January 2006, 12:02 AM
Lol this might sound sad but on silver i kept a croconaw up until lvel 65, by which time i was fed up of the game so i started it again, also, on the same topic, in my sapphire i wanted to keep mudkip a mudkip forever, and i also hatched a cyndaquil and cheated it up to lv.100!

Munchlax --> Snorlax
5th January 2006, 12:05 AM
Lol it can be fun to keep a plain old pikachu in your team and not evolve it for the sake of Ash on the show having one :P

Vampiryyn
7th January 2006, 2:12 AM
I refuse to let my Chikorita evolve, because he's my pal, and I like him the way he is. I don't use him for Competition battles, but he's with me 24/7 while I'm playing the game.

Cataclysmic
15th January 2006, 7:24 PM
Well let's see ...
I never evolve Pikachu period.
I used to refuse to evolve Totodile.
I hardly ever evolve Scythers (they look way cooler than Scizor to me).
Probably some others, I just cant think of them lol.

Axel
15th January 2006, 8:15 PM
I used to refuse to evolve a Quilava. Now I have a bunch.

If a Pokemon evolves by leveling up, then I usually let them evolve.

But when one evolves by a stone, I make sure it learns certain moves first, then it evolves.

I don't evolve any that evolve by trading simply because I don't have the patience to get my games set up, only for one trade. And the only trade evolution Pokemon I like is Alakazam anyway, but it's still not worth it.

Kthleen
15th January 2006, 8:57 PM
In Silver, I have an Eevee team whose names are based on a story* I had thought up before. I have all six forms and refuse to evolve Carmen.

Also, in Gold, I couldn't evolve my Onix Oracle because I planned on using him in a Rock monotype challenge. (However, I learned that neither Onix nor Steelix can learn Rollout, so I replaced him with the Geodude I caught earlier.)

*It involved an Eevee village, a "misunderstood" sibling Espy/Umby pair who was taking and/or killing some Eevees from the village for reasons I still have yet to work out, the three oddly-colored Jolt/Flar/Vaporeon "guardians" whose jobs I'm not sure about anymore, and a trio of young Eevees (Carmen was the one who decided to go and find pair, his girlfriend came along [or maybe it was the other way around?], and they met the third later) who went out to find the killers/abductors of their parents. Yeah, it was strange.

Shiny Heracross
17th January 2006, 3:09 AM
Well it's not exactly a refused evolution but one time I was reading a guide on how to evolve Tyrogue because I had a Hitmonlee and didn't know how I got it. I wanted a Hitmontop, but the guy that wrote it screwed up bad. He said I needed to have defense higher than attack for Hitmontop, and it began to evolve into Hitmonchan. So I cancelled, and did what he said for Hitmonchan (attack higher than defense) and it began to evolve into another Hitmonlee! After I cancelled, me and my cousin (who was with me) were real mad now and tried to do what it said for Hitmonlee (attack equals defense) and finally got a Hitmontop. My cousin then wrote a hate e-mail to the guy that wrote it. It was funny.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
17th January 2006, 8:25 PM
in sapphire, I didn't let my grovyle evolve until level 65

but in my crystal, I didn't let my shiny elekid evolve until it learnt all it's moves

and on silver, I had a level 55 Totodile...

Capnshap
18th January 2006, 1:34 AM
I dont evolve Pikachu, but i usually level up a starter like chickorita (currently lvl. 25 bayleef from restarted game) cuz theyre stats are good, and the delayed moves are worth the stronger stats all around. And I think most evolved forms look cooler.

So, no i usually evolve. Sorry. =D