PDA

View Full Version : ***READ: What you can't post here :READ***

Dragonfree
4th December 2005, 4:33 AM
If random people can come and post stuff at it, you can't link to it here.

Okay?

Now, if THAT isn't the very epitome of simple, I don't know what is.

charlizard
4th December 2005, 5:08 AM
so...what's the purpose of this thread???

ArteMagica
4th December 2005, 5:22 AM
She means advertising forums.If you can post at the link the thread starter linked to then it's a forum(or other non website things).And forum links aren't allowed here.

Dragonfree
4th December 2005, 2:25 PM
The purpose of this thread is to try to make it clear for even the most dim-witted members that they can not link to their forums, RPGs or whatever here.

Guitar dude bill
4th December 2005, 5:30 PM
Are you allowed to advertise on your sig? Just need to check again. It was fine at the signature check I just need to know

Dragonfree
4th December 2005, 7:41 PM
It's fine in sigs, just not posting it in here.

Gutsman
10th June 2006, 6:38 AM
I'm just curious, but why can't we post forums? Just wondering.

NightwolfAA2k5
23rd June 2006, 8:27 AM
All I'm going to say is this is a forum, and it is not general practice to put links to other forums on your forum anyway (in most cases)

It would be like nintendo putting ads for sony playstations on the gamecube, you just don't do it.

Rufinito18
23rd June 2006, 6:57 PM
All I'm going to say is this is a forum, and it is not general practice to put links to other forums on your forum anyway (in most cases)

It would be like nintendo putting ads for sony playstations on the gamecube, you just don't do it.

Yea, thats how it usually works....

Magma Leader Maxie
23rd June 2006, 7:14 PM
As well as not promoting other forums on a forum (except in sigs) being a standard rule, anyone can take a stroll down to invisionfree.net and create a forum in a fraction of a second.

It takes more effort to make a site, for one thing. And people randmoly chatting isn't really useful information that people want...

Rufinito18
23rd June 2006, 7:25 PM
As well as not promoting other forums on a forum (except in sigs) being a standard rule, anyone can take a stroll down to invisionfree.net and create a forum in a fraction of a second.

It takes more effort to make a site, for one thing. And people randmoly chatting isn't really useful information that people want...

A succesful forum is also alot of work, don't dismiss it like that.

1. Finding a skin/making one
2.Pips
3.Macros
4.Topbanner
5.Modifications
6.Advertizing.

It's not allowed not because forums are easy to make, but because they might remove members from this very forum.

Dragonfree
26th June 2006, 4:15 PM
There is only one purpose in linking to a forum here: advertising to get more members.

Meanwhile, when you link to a website here, you can receive comments and criticism, people can point out bugs, etc. It has a point. People with real websites would have a very hard time if all their threads were drowned in blatant forum advertisements.

It's very difficult to "criticize" a forum. Yeah, you can criticize the forum banner, but then just go to Fan Art and have it criticized there. Because the content of the forum is not created by you - it's created by every registered member - you can't just go "Oh, fix this member's spelling" or "This member is wrong when he says this".

AgentChronon
12th July 2006, 11:29 PM
There is only one purpose in linking to a forum here: advertising to get more members.

Meanwhile, when you link to a website here, you can receive comments and criticism, people can point out bugs, etc. It has a point. People with real websites would have a very hard time if all their threads were drowned in blatant forum advertisements.

It's very difficult to "criticize" a forum. Yeah, you can criticize the forum banner, but then just go to Fan Art and have it criticized there. Because the content of the forum is not created by you - it's created by every registered member - you can't just go "Oh, fix this member's spelling" or "This member is wrong when he says this".

That was perfect. But no one is giving comments to my site...

Gutsman
15th July 2006, 5:06 AM
I'm sounding really n00bish saying this but are we allowed to post sites that link to a forum somewhere in the site?

blazemxx
15th July 2006, 5:31 AM
Yes we are, as long as we do not link a forum.

Jetx
15th July 2006, 10:32 AM
Actually, you're not allowed to link to a site with a forum if the forum is pretty mcuh the only content on the site.

AgentChronon
19th July 2006, 1:54 PM
So this is basically outruling Guestbooks, Wikis, Oekakis, Forums, and RPGs.

I see.

The4400
27th July 2006, 8:26 AM
What about refferel sites?

Like, www.url.comu=namehere

bassically a free site thats based on points, if i get people to sign up under me i get points.

The site also has a forum but the main purpose of the site is to get points and prizes.

The way to get points is to do polls, read news articles, do trivia, invite other members, etc.

nashie1
27th July 2006, 12:31 PM
Can we make threads to ask for stuff for forums like pips or skins and stuff like that or is that against the rules to?

AgentChronon
27th July 2006, 3:18 PM
I THINK you can ask but you cant advertise.

NightWalker
10th August 2006, 8:15 PM
What if you actually CREATED the forum code and not just used a pre-made template to set it up?

Then it would make sense since you can show/get help for the mechanisms you used in its design... =/

AgentChronon
10th August 2006, 8:41 PM
What if you actually CREATED the forum code and not just used a pre-made template to set it up?

Then it would make sense since you can show/get help for the mechanisms you used in its design... =/

That's very rare indeed. I suppose that would be an exception... Dragon/Butterfree's the boss though.

Virtual Headache
10th August 2006, 9:19 PM
There is no exception.
You can't advertsie forums here, no matter how much work you've put in them.

NightWalker
11th August 2006, 5:03 AM
There is no exception.
You can't advertsie forums here, no matter how much work you've put in them.I'm not talking about something like: "hey this is my forum come visit it and join in" more like "Hey I'm DEVELOPING a forum TOOL from scratch, check it out" that's way different than grabbing vbulleting or any other of the 1000's of forum tools out there and SET UP a forum.

Anyone with a limited knowledge about software can set up a forum using one of these tools, create the actual tool is a different story...

Rather than advertising the content of a forum that case is more like showing a forum tool you created, the same thing as showing a web page IMHO.

AgentChronon
11th August 2006, 2:19 PM
I have to agree with you, NightWalker.

NightwolfAA2k5
25th October 2006, 6:37 AM
If you really want a forum, do it similar to the way I've done it, look at the "forums" link on https://nwpps2k6.sourceforge.net/ click it (the forums link) to go to a page which will redirect you to my forums...

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Have a basic website with a link to a page which redirects to a forum on a sidebar or something similar...

I did the redirect like so;
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="5; URL=http://www.vf11.com/nwpps/nwpps.html">
</head>

SEGAMew
24th December 2006, 4:34 AM
So I guess I can't put up a test forum to show people a skin I made and try to get some suggestions on it? o.o;

pokemonelite4leader
24th December 2006, 3:57 PM
So I guess I can't put up a test forum to show people a skin I made and try to get some suggestions on it? o.o;

thats not advertising but i dont know if its allowed

Minun2
28th December 2006, 4:46 PM
Im not sure, but until you know exactly if its allowed, you could take a screenshot (to do so, press Prnt Screen and it should be copied to the clipboard) and then post it on the approriate board

bassface
10th July 2007, 7:33 PM
I think this may have already been asked but what if we posted a website with a link to the forum we made? Would that be allowed?

legendofFire
1st August 2007, 9:55 PM
dangit! i was going to advertise a friends site here as its the biggest forum i know and my friend needs extra ppl

kevind23
17th August 2007, 1:30 AM
You start by posting things once then you learn (X)HTML and CSS.

Link3710
28th September 2007, 11:21 PM
Can you ask for help if you are making a pokemon game? I am running one but all the information is on a forum server. It's not for chat though... so is it ok?

tkdkbw
22nd May 2009, 1:07 AM
I have website that i made, it has a forum, can i post the address?

Surfing_Pikachu
10th July 2009, 3:40 AM
I'm still a bit confused as to the rules of this. Can you give specific examples of wrong and right? From what I hear, you can't post things just to get more members or posting a thread like "check out this site!! [link goes here]" So you can only post if you have a question about it or need help with it? And no forums whatsoever.

EDIT: I read your other rules thread and I get it now. Thanks! But why is this still open when you have a much better rule thread?

Giratina101
10th July 2009, 8:16 AM
i have a questin how can you make a website

If your new to making websites the best place to learn is webs.com its the best way to learn!

Ri-Chan
11th July 2009, 1:00 AM
Haha, Thanks, When I posted here first, I though it was for advertising sites.

Wormow
17th October 2009, 12:44 AM
With vBulletin 4 coming out soon, and me upgrading my license, ya know that new front page look kinda thing? Can I use that to advertise here, or is that still counted as a forum?

RedStarWarrior
17th October 2009, 1:50 AM
With vBulletin 4 coming out soon, and me upgrading my license, ya know that new front page look kinda thing? Can I use that to advertise here, or is that still counted as a forum?
If it is a forum, it's a forum. It's that simple.

oboy170
13th November 2009, 12:57 AM
Can we post links to adoptable sites we made?

(s.i.e)
15th November 2009, 8:35 PM
i don't understand the point, we have report buttons on this site plus mods who should be looking out for it, what happened to that? =/

RedStarWarrior
16th November 2009, 4:23 PM
i don't understand the point, we have report buttons on this site plus mods who should be looking out for it, what happened to that? =/
This is old and outdated. I need to revamp this forum soon.

Geddon
2nd August 2010, 11:25 AM
whatabout asking for help with banner designs and stuff? is that allowed? i didnt see this topic, and i amde one asking fro help with the banners, so i want to know if its allowed

Silverwindstudios
16th February 2012, 9:50 PM
Just checking, but if we make a website that has a forum attached to it, is it against the rules to link to the site? ^^

legend_trainer
17th February 2012, 2:35 PM
I think the deal is that as long as your site can run independant of the forum (i.e. your site doesn't link to the forum for page content) and you aren't advertising the forum (i.e. sign up here, or check out our new cool forum; but not a link in the navbar), you should be fine.

nicse4
14th August 2012, 7:14 PM
here is my interpretation of the rule:

1) No putting COMES HERES in a link to a forum, and only a forum
2) You can link your website if it has a forum, but only if the website runs without the forum

i still has one question though, can i link my hand coded forums, and ask for constructive criticism(like the registration system isn't open, the post system doesn't work yet) but criticism on the style, how it is layed out, etc...