PDA

View Full Version : Help starting a fic- Most Definately Needed!!!

Smish
6th December 2005, 10:39 PM
Hi everyone, hope you're having fun here!
Anyway, I just got a brilliant idea for a fic but I can't figure out how to start it (I've written chapter 2 but it needs a proper beginning to make it make sense).

So...the basic idea;
A girl wants to set out on a pokemon journey (boring), but she runs away from an orphanage where she was being maltreated and kept in the dark about her past and -to add extra surprise- she's mute and can't explain why she left to the police who are after her. (exciting twist) So basically she has to try to acomplish her dream while being on the run from the law, and she has to find out what really happened to her family as she's lived in the orphanage since she was 3.

It doesn't sound much, eh? Trust me, the plot thickens later on.

I need help deciding on a name for the main character too, thanks everyone!

~Smish (I used to be Tanka for anyone who knew me)

T.W. North
7th December 2005, 9:23 AM
For a name, just skim through a baby name dictionary, your sure to find something you like. As for the beggining, I'd say start off with her having an ordinary day at the orphanage, just before she makes a break for it. Then, have her excitement building up as she gets ready for the run and then have her run.

Just one thing - how will she communicate to her pokemon?

Pinecone Tortoise
7th December 2005, 11:51 AM
Hmm, I'd be very careful about starting a fic with the main character being such a victim. It lends itself very easily to Sues. And using the number three isn't a good idea. Using a number as opposed to writing the word makes any bit of writing look unprofessional. Just a hint. ^^

Anyway, think there's a whole bunch of baby name sites to browse through to find a name.

Good luck. It sounds like you've got a real challenge there. Have fun!

Pinecone Tortoise.
;204;;324;

PDL
7th December 2005, 3:52 PM
lesse...

- trainer fic, check
- tragic past, check
- sympathetic flaw, check

well, I wouldn't say it's an original idea, you already have 3 of the most used cliches in pokemon fics, I'd try to think of something more original.

Smish
7th December 2005, 5:33 PM
Thanks, I'm just describing what i'm starting out with- Quest For The Legends started off as an average trainer fic you know. Anyway, whether she's a Mary Sue or not depends on your definition. If you mean a character who's like the author, probably not but if you mean a cliched character then I guess you're right.
Oh, and how she comunicates with her Pokemon is explained when she gets her first Pokemon in Chapter Three. (It's kinda strange)

Minako
7th December 2005, 5:40 PM
A 'Sue only has one definition, and that is a perfect character. Usually, a 'Sue is a gorgeous, flawless girl with a tragic past and a fiesty -- or overly-sweet -- disposition. While I'm not here to knock your fic idea, you may want to be careful about where you go with that plot.

Anyway, if you're still looking for name ideas, Natasha comes to mind; not sure why. XD Baby name books work too. Sometimes it's better to decide a name for yourself.

Smish
7th December 2005, 6:08 PM
While i can't say she's perfect in any way, I'm thinking of a tomboy character who's depressed and has few friends. She's clumsy and has hardly any self-confidence, running away is the first thing she's ever really done to help herself. I guess I should have given the profile earlier... but it says on Dragonfree's website that there are a few different opinions on Mary-Sue's, I've been using her fic guide for help.

PDL
7th December 2005, 6:25 PM
While i can't say she's perfect in any way, I'm thinking of a tomboy character who's depressed and has few friends. She's clumsy and has hardly any self-confidence, running away is the first thing she's ever really done to help herself. I guess I should have given the profile earlier... but it says on Dragonfree's website that there are a few different opinions on Mary-Sue's, I've been using her fic guide for help.

having character flaws are fine, but one thing you should try avoiding is having sympatheic flaws, flaws that make the reader feel sorry for the character. However, it may not be such a bad thing, just don't over do the tragic angle your character has and it will be fine.

Smish
7th December 2005, 6:38 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone! I've thought of a name and i'm writing the first chapter right now (literally as i've got my writing pad by the monitor)
I'd like to keep some things a surprise but for now we'll use this thread for answering fic questions.

Sooo.. anyone?

pisces_beedrill
13th December 2005, 10:58 AM
does the name mean anything?

like the name of my characters means something-run=secret arma=weapons raviola=named after a veela of greek mythology.