PDA

View Full Version : Your Recipe For a Good Ship

Tropical Spirit
7th December 2005, 10:00 PM
...Hi. o.o I know that there's already a thread like this, but I'm pretty sure it's too old to post in now. o.o;

So, like the title suggests, what makes a ship good in your opinion?

Now I'm gonna post my opinion that everyone will read for some reason, even if they don't care 8D

For me, a ship needs to be fanon. Period. ALL, and I *MEAN* all of the canon ships are boring and overly cliché.
Minor characters are also a BIG bonus. Main characters tend to be plain and common characters that you'll most likely find in any anime or franchise in general, with no depth at all. I, however, tend to take a liking for some main characters as long as they are interesting and/or ignored, even if they are a little cliché'd. (Like Tails (Sonic), Max, Edward Elric (FMA), Knuckles (Sonic), Hermione (Harry Potter))

I also like shonen-ai/shoujo-ai. >__> It's certainly hotter and... I yanno, more appealing? XD It certainly isn't as boring imho. I don't have problems with het ships, but I generally tend to dislike them, mostly because they're generally cliché'd. :0

The characters also need to have chemestry. But not a stupid one like love/hate or opposite/identical personalities. I like when they'll make a good couple, either a cute couple who care about each other or a cute couple who constantly argues but love eachother deep inside. =3

And another thing, I tend to *hate* a character if they got a n00bish and gigantic fanbase, even if they're good characters.

*ahem*
I could go on for hours. XP

Anyways, it's your turn now. :0 Post or I'll kill a kitten. <3

Encyclopika
7th December 2005, 10:14 PM
=O Don't kill kittens! XP
Hm...what makes a good ship. Well, I think what really counts, if we're going with ships that have a possibility to be canon, if they actually appear to like each other. If they bicker a lot, spend a lot of time together, help each other out, or have a good time with each other. Having cutsey scenes of the two is also an awsome bonus.
They have to look cute together, IMO. Who wants to support a ship that isn't appealing?
They need to have some chemistry, or personalities that support each other.
They need to have something in common to talk about. If two characters have nothing in common, then they won't feel comfortable around each other.

That's all I have to say.

psilocybin
7th December 2005, 11:08 PM
I like fluffy, possibly goofy pairs. Angst is alright, but not really my cup o' tea.
Normally they're equal in dominance. I usually don't like one being "higher" than the other. Of course, there are some exceptions, like a female dominating a male. Though, that's not really my thing either.

I generally go for non-het couples. Gah, I pair up men like crazy, but I'm more obsessive over the estrogen filled ships. If that makes sense. +pets RiraKogo+ D:

Toran Frostbite
8th December 2005, 6:23 AM
The best ships are the ones no one draws/writes for (or they're 1/a million). 9_9 Because those tend to be the ones I fall head-over-heels in-farkin'-love! with. And it's not fair. And then, there are the pairings-that-I-adore which are written for (the very few canon ones); I've no desire to hunt them down. Not because I think they're bad, but there really is no desire.

:D And those are the best ships you could possibly have: the ones no one will mess up but yourself.

Orion-Sama
9th December 2005, 3:16 AM
:D And those are the best ships you could possibly have: the ones no one will mess up but yourself.
I completely and entirely agree. :D

My favorite Ships? Besides the things said by Toraphi, I like non-canon, non-straight and non-popular Ships the most. I like a few in each category, but not many. =o

I also favor... no... promote Yaoi and Yuri. Especially Yuri. Girl x Girl is hot as hell. And as my trusty friend said, MUCH more fun than boring and usual straight. :rolleyes:

I also like unconventional shippings a lot, but we better don't get into that. ;) I also like real person x fiction character ships, somehow. :p

I also like to pair characters that look alike in one way or another, or that would get along very well without falling into the usual cliché.

That'd be it. ^^

hikari_blaze
9th December 2005, 3:20 AM
I like a pair that's... cute together (of course)

I always seem to be attracted to opposite attracts. I mean: Look at Sakura and Syaoran, Kyo and Tohru, Sana and Akito, and Ruki and Takato (Yes, I do support this) ._.

I'm a fan of shojo relationships but mostly straight.

Power Shot
9th December 2005, 3:34 AM
I have only shipped once, in After Hoenn, but I used Ash and May for that one.

When I do a story, it has to be different, something no one has done for a long time, if ever. That's why I had May and Drew married at the beginning with Ash as a nomad. Doing something new is my favorite thing, even if a ship is old, it can always be redone into something new.

Sweet May
10th December 2005, 1:06 AM
cuteness, rivalry, friendship, lots of stuff are in my recipe. I guess canon is my absolute recipe. Fanon is okay, but it doesn't speak to me. >.>

taitofan
10th December 2005, 2:35 AM
...I like crack. X3 Actually, I like just about anything, though my OTPs are generally odd to say the least.

Some of the only couples I don't like are (most) het canon couples. I tend to like canon yaoi and yuri ships. I like friendship, rivalry, enemy, and nevermet ships. I like yaoi, yuri, het, incest, twincest, crossbreeding, pedophilia (within reason), polygamy (geez, I have an OT4 in the Pokemon fandom...)... Yeah, I'm not picky. If it's cute and has chemistry, I like it. Angsty couples are okay, but I'll probably make them happier in my mind. ^.^

As for my OTPs, they're mostly yaoi, and really out there. But I like it that way. ^.^

Amadeus
10th December 2005, 3:55 AM
My favorite ships are one's where there is something of a personality clash, or personalities that play off each other. For example, the calm cliff with the wave. Something that would fit that would be Jin and Fuu from Samurai Champloo.

I can see the characters arguing, but I prefer when it doesn't deviate from playful for the most part. I like the little backhanded joke, I guess, but not the heated shouting match.

Is it stupid that BB/Rae from Teen Titans is my favorite ship? I haven't really shipped much before...

hikari_blaze
10th December 2005, 4:03 AM
It's not stupid, Amadeus. I also favors that ship. ^_^

Amadeus
10th December 2005, 4:25 AM
It's not stupid, Amadeus. I also favors that ship. ^_^
Thanks. I think I'll actually write a fic for that. Hopefully, that fic will fare better than me losing interest in my othe fic and letting it die off.

Another ingredient in a good ship, in my opinion, is that there not be age issues. Demons/ghosts/gods, etc. don't really count, as they transcend age, but, for example, Tenchi/Sasami strikes me as repulsive.

Also, I can't say I like incestious relationships. I never feel comfortable with that...

I love when their looks compliment each other. One of the reasons I love BB/RAe, although pretty much any TT couple works good. I am not a fan of Robin paired with BB, though. Not because of the slash, but because I think they just don't mesh well.

Kanta-chan
10th December 2005, 5:57 AM
Oh. =X

It has to be cute for one thing (looks-wise). And it also has to have arguments/chemistry. I don't like boring couples that go goo-goo-ga-ga over each other. >___>

I don't like shippings with big fandom. x-x; It kills me. I like quiet small ships. (I'm so~ convinced of Draco/Cho from one little story that someone wrote n.n; Don't see that couple a lot... lol).

Amadeus
11th December 2005, 4:40 AM
I like ships don't start under false pretenses. I've always disliked the story of faked love becoming true. It just doesn't make my heart feel warm, and I just don't feel myself behind the ships. A good example would be if you watch pretty much any romantic comedy.

Phantom_Bugsy
11th December 2005, 4:25 PM
Pretty boys with either similar personalities or something that could happen that could bring them together, OR something that would be interesting to see. Examples:

Benji x Shingo- A boy who lives up in the mountains with only an old radio as his technology, and a boy who's all WHOAMG COMPUTERS!!!111. It wins 8D

Feuilly x Joly- Feuilly is an orphan. Orphans don't have very good medical care as it is, and especially in 1830's France. Get sick a lot. Joly is a hypochondriac and studying to be a doctor. He's also apparently generous because he lets Bossuet live with him. I could totally see him showing his love by taking care of Feuilly 'cause he can't afford medical care of any kind.

Combeferre x Prouvaire- Another Les Mis one. Combeferre is a philosopher and has a way with words. Prouvaire is a poet and has a way with words. Both are similar, relatively soft-spoken, and when Prouvaire was shot by that firing squad, Combeferre was the first to say anything about it and the first to show concern. It would be cute ; ;

Eusine x Will- ...another category of shipping, Oos-logic. I'm of the belief that Eusine and Will are brothers. I think two sexy brothers getting it on is f*cking hot. I gave them a backstory, too, but I'm too lazy to put it up 83

Just a few examples of how I 'ship. <3