PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Ships

Kasumi-chan
11th December 2005, 4:44 PM
Lets debate on which Harry Potter ships are the best! Please include reasons why you like/dislike certain shippings. NO FLAMING! and if a thread like this already exisits i am sorry to annoy everybody.

Meganium Ex
11th December 2005, 4:47 PM
I'm sure this dosen't exist ^^

Anyways, I support Harry ♥ Hermonie, but that's the only one

I support it because I just think it's cute, even though there's those hyper Victor ♥ Hermonie shippers...Urrr....

Kasumi-chan
11th December 2005, 4:52 PM
I agree with Harry+Hermione. In the movies there is a lot of reasons why they should be together. I dislike Ron+Hermione, Viktor+Hermione, Ginny/Harry and Cho+Harry. They all make no sense whatsoever (no offense to the people that like tose ships).

2bcelebi320
11th December 2005, 4:53 PM
I'm kinda going for a Ron x Hermione ship, because I think that those two were made for each other...

Meganium Ex
11th December 2005, 4:54 PM
Yeah, it was cute when in the foruth movie When they hugged :D

Put it in spoiler so other people won't be spoiled ^^

Kasumi-chan
11th December 2005, 5:03 PM
I just cannot see ron+hermione actually dating each other. sorry. i know that ron confesses his feelings to hermione in the 6th book but when i first read the 1st book i assumed that harry+hermione would become canon. never mind. i guess i can learn to like ron+hermione.

Phantom_Bugsy
11th December 2005, 5:09 PM
...lol, het-fest 2005.

I like Bill x Charlie, Fred x George, Oliver x Marcus and Oliver x Cedric. :3

Kasumi-chan
11th December 2005, 5:13 PM
some other ships that i like:
Hagrid+Madam Maxime
Dumbledore+Professor McGonagall
Ron+Luna Lovegood
Colin Creevey+Ginny (no real reason here, but they both practically worshiped harry in Chamber of secrets)

+Chaos Blade+
11th December 2005, 5:14 PM
Harry-Ron-Hermione: Love Triangle

Harry-Ginny, of course.

Lupin-Tonks, although that isn't too important.

Tropical Spirit
11th December 2005, 5:20 PM
...lol, het-fest 2005.
:(

Anyways:
Hermione x Fleur-I like their clashing personalities. That's all. D: Plus, it would be HOTTTT...
Harry x Cedric-Watch GoF and then come back. :< Not to mention it is one of the hottest shippings EVER.
Rony x Hagrid-Yanno?
Krum x Cedric-Just 'coz.
Fred x George-8D *Shot*
Ginny x Hermione-Read HBP plz. :<
Remus x Sirius-That's classical.
Luna x Ginny-Canon.
Neville -> Rony-It would be... interesting.
Uhh... yeah. o_0;;

Kasumi-chan
11th December 2005, 5:23 PM
Some more i like..
Lupin and Tonks
Neville and Ginny (I like pairing Ginny with people that arent harry!)
Draco and Ginny (Wierd..)
Dean and Ginny (they were dating in HBP)

Tropical Spirit
11th December 2005, 5:24 PM
Oh yeah. :3 Draco x Crabbe and Draco -> Hermione (OMFG HET SHIP!! :0:0:0) are love.

Kasumi-chan
11th December 2005, 5:29 PM
True. Draco and Hermione would be &#237;nteresting. Filch+Dolores Umbridge, Harry+Draco (wierd but they are rivals/enemys, and that sometimes is a hint. take May and Drew from pokemon as an example.)

Jo-Jo
11th December 2005, 6:04 PM
Ron/Hermione is love. <3

Other favs: Harry/Cho, Bill/Fleur, Remus/Sirius, Hagrid/Madame Maxime, Neville/Ginny, Viktor/Cho, Hermione/Cho, Lily/James and probably some others I can't remember.

Kveran
11th December 2005, 6:37 PM
"The pairing (Snape 'n Granger) that still makes some people SQUICK"
- TextualSphinx

Yep, I support Snape x Hermione. (-waves flag-) Their personalities are actually pretty similar; if Hermione weren't trying to be the "good girl" her inner core of snark would show through a whole lot more often. They're also both highly intellectual, to the detriment of their social lives (more in Snape's case than in Hermione's, since Hermione has the boys to pull her out of the library) and gutsy. The age difference is also less than one might think, given Hermione's gratuitous use of the Time-Turner and the fact that wizards have extraordinarily long lifespans (case in point: Dumbledore.) Given these factors a 30-year age gap isn't really that important.

I also support Remus x Sirius, Harry x Luna, and a whole bunch of others.

Draco and Hermione would be &#237;nteresting.
Fanfic recommendation for that... www.witchfics.org and go to Anna's page. The fic you want is "Roman Holiday." Good plot and good writing- nothing hugely spectacular, but definitely more than adequate, and it's an enjoyable read. It does carry an R rating, though.

clown_buggy
11th December 2005, 6:58 PM
1. Bellatrix X Narcissa: Read HBP. They were made for each other.

2. Crabbe X Goyle: Old OTP of mine. IMO, it's the most obvious ship in all of Harry Potter.

3. Hermione X Ginny: They look cute together and already share a sweet friendship. I just find it flat out adorable.

4. Dumbledore X Harry: I think their relationship was well developed and they shared excellent chemistry throughout the series. Too bad it'll never happen, since Dumbledore's dead and Harry's going to end up with Ginny.

5. Fred X George: Yeah :)

6. Fleur X Hermione: I like ships that involve characters with clashing personalities, and this one's no exception. It's highly interesting and great to write fanfiction about.

7. Professor McGonagall X Madam Hooch: I just do :D

8. Fleur X Cho: It's hot.

9. Draco X Harry: Anyone who can't see the sexual tension between them is blind.

10. Hagrid X Madam Maxime: Teh aww.

11. Harry X Hermione: I'm mostly on-and-off about this, but I think it would be a hell of a lot more interesting than the cliched Ron X Hermione romance.

12. Cho X Harry: Well, I thought the build up for it was good. Can't say I'm much of a fan, though.

Shadowcat
12th December 2005, 1:31 AM
OMG! *runs into thread with a remote control and a television, which shows the picture of Hermione and Krum in the Yule Ball*

*Faints*

Wolf Goddess knows that I'm a diehard Hermione Granger X Viktor Krum supporter. Heck! My Sig tells you that!

Others I support:

Nothing... Plain Nothing.

*Goes around, looking for pics on Viktor and Hermione*

Wolf Goddess
12th December 2005, 7:07 AM
OMG! *runs into thread with a remote control and a television, which shows the picture of Hermione and Krum in the Yule Ball*

*Faints*

Wolf Goddess knows that I'm a diehard Hermione Granger X Viktor Krum supporter. Heck! My Sig tells you that!

Others I support:

Nothing... Plain Nothing.

*Goes around, looking for pics on Viktor and Hermione*

Hey, did you ever see the Korean posters? They're all pictures from the Yule Ball, and one has Hermione x Krum. :D

Aside from Hermione x Victor:

Hermione x Harry: I just like the way they get along. I see a lasting relationship as being more getting along and less fighting IRL anyway. Fighting ships got old when Star Wars was new.

Sirius x Remus: This is canon. :<

Fleur x Hermione: Hehe, I love the clashing personalities too. <3

Harry x Cedric: It's canon. Just watch the GoF movie.

I'm not too fond of Hermione x Ron; it's just too cliche. And Harry x Ginny was out of nowhere, despite all of the ways that Harry describes Ginny's hair as being red. :/

Shadowcat
12th December 2005, 7:12 AM
Hey, did you ever see the Korean posters? They're all pictures from the Yule Ball, and one has Hermione x Krum. :D

Aside from Hermione x Victor:

Hermione x Harry: I just like the way they get along. I see a lasting relationship as being more getting along and less fighting IRL anyway. Fighting ships got old when Star Wars was new.

Sirius x Remus: This is canon. :<

Fleur x Hermione: Hehe, I love the clashing personalities too. <3

Harry x Cedric: It's canon. Just watch the GoF movie.

I'm not too fond of Hermione x Ron; it's just too cliche. And Harry x Ginny was out of nowhere, despite all of the ways that Harry describes Ginny's hair as being red. :/

Really?! I'll look for them. Anyways, I supported Harry X Cedric, and the thing's coming back to me, I guess.

Also, Ginny X Harry was not out of nowhere as Ginny had a crush on Harry at first. But I still hate the shipping.

Ron X Hermione is too clinche like WG said, I hate. I loathe it. Anyways, I have a pic where Viktor kisses Hermione's hand in the Yule Ball, and a pic of Hermione entering the hall wearing her dress, and where Harry looks at her, after Pavarti told him to.

Wolf Goddess
12th December 2005, 7:16 AM
Really?! I'll look for them. Anyways, I supported Harry X Cedric, and the thing's coming back to me, I guess.

Also, Ginny X Harry was not out of nowhere as Ginny had a crush on Harry at first. But I still hate the shipping.

Ron X Hermione is too clinche like WG said, I hate. I loathe it. Anyways, I have a pic where Viktor kisses Hermione's hand in the Yule Ball, and a pic of Hermione entering the hall wearing her dress, and where Harry looks at her, after Pavarti told him to.

I'll send them to you. ^^

Yes, but Harry never showed any real indication of being interested in her. And for him to be the one to start suddenly pining after her...roflcopter.

I loved that too. <3

Shadowcat
12th December 2005, 7:31 AM
Thanks, WG. Actually, Harry tried breaking up with her at the ending of Book 6. But she insisted that she wanted to be his girlfriend. Something like that.....

Maybe YKW will kill Ginny due to the two of them being BF and GF. Bleah! But Ron has like... treated Hermione for granted. I know the JKR may make Hermione and Ron get together in her book. Hermione still communicates with Viktor, if I'm not wrong. It was mentioned in the 5th Book. So maybe, the romance between Hermione and Krum will be stretched a little.

Tropical Spirit
12th December 2005, 3:22 PM
...You guys know that Harry x Hermione is officially fanon, don't you? o_0;; Not that's a bad thing, but you talk like it could happen.

Arrow
12th December 2005, 5:26 PM
I like H/Hr and H/G (conflicting ships, I know. I'm weird.) I perfer H/Hr though.

Kasumi-chan
12th December 2005, 6:09 PM
My favourite ship in harry potter is harry x Hermione. some other wierd ones that i like are:
Lockhart x hermione
Ron x lavender
parvarti x lavender (they seem almost INSEPERABLE)

Kveran
12th December 2005, 9:19 PM
...You guys know that Harry x Hermione is officially fanon, don't you? o_0;; Not that's a bad thing, but you talk like it could happen.

It ain't over until the Fat Lady sings her goodbyes after seventh year. Of course it could happen. It's not officially fanon until the seventh book proves it to be.

I'm hoping Ron gets bumped off in the seventh book, personally.

STJ
12th December 2005, 9:47 PM
Oh well, my turn XD

Harry/hermione - Meh, Don't mind if it does happen, it would pove that the obvious answer isin't always the right one, so who knows?

Ron/Hermione - I don't mind this one either, and wouldn't be surprised if it ends up happening. I DO agree with those, however, who say that it is cliche however (ESPECIALLY in her latest book *sigh*). Love/Hate relationships are becoming incredibly mundane and predictable and that's NOT a good thing -_-

You know, A part of me is hoping that Rowling will have an open ending so neither shippers will have bragging rights and become stuck-up, oh well...

Harry/Cho - *sigh* I really like the way J.k Rowling wrote Harry's crush, especially in the fifth book, why she then broke them up I will never know.

Wolf Goddess
13th December 2005, 1:40 AM

I know, but I still love it to death.

Jo-Jo
13th December 2005, 2:26 AM
It ain't over until the Fat Lady sings her goodbyes after seventh year. Of course it could happen. It's not officially fanon until the seventh book proves it to be.
Actually, JKR's officially said she's not writing H/Hr, most notably in this interview (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extras/aa-jointerview1.html).

Fluppy
13th December 2005, 6:29 AM
I loved when she said the anvil-sized hints part in a different interview. Burn!

Hermione/Ron: I used to think it was horribly cliched, but after reading HBP, I'm fine with it.
Harry/Ginny: Cute, I think she's probably the best match for Harry.
Hermione/Viktor: Cute factor.
Snape/Lily: Angst.

Kveran
14th December 2005, 3:45 AM
Actually, JKR's officially said she's not writing H/Hr, most notably in this interview.

Well, pox.

pokéfan176
14th December 2005, 3:54 AM
I think Harry and Ron's little sister (Jenny or something like that) are a good match.

Misty-Fan-Forever
14th December 2005, 8:47 AM
^ Her names Ginny btw :)

Anyway my favourite ship would definantly be Ron/Hermione. Yeah people might think that it's too predictable but I love it. They bicker a lot (which I love, I don't know why though) and they have a few caring moments (Hermione crying and Ron stroking her hair, anyone?) So yeah It's my fave ship.

Ginny/Harry - I liked this ship is CoS and I still loved it but it seemed like it wouldn't happen. Then suddenly when book 6 came out it happened instantaniously and I didn't like how that happened but I still like the ship.

Luna/Harry - Hrmm..In book 5 I though this might be what JK was leading to and I began to like it. I don't know if I prefer Luna with Harry or Ginny with Harry best but I like them both. I like how Luna is the quiet type and I just feel she would go well with Harry.

And um... theres maybe some more but that's about all i can think of for the moment.

rinygrin
14th December 2005, 10:28 AM
Usually I like:
Snape x Harry
Draco x Ron
Lupin x Snape
Ginny x Luna
and of course, anything out of the blue.

Shadowcat
15th December 2005, 5:24 AM
That is utterly weird.

Anyways, people can still like the shipping, even though it's not going to be true. And why do people support Hermione X Draco. That is utterly weird. Really, XD! Anyways, we know for one:

Harry X Hermione is not gonna happen (Though there were cute scenes of them)
Harry X Cho too... (This was so good *kills JKR)

And every single weird shipping, including Hermione X Krum and Hermione X Draco and Ron X Harry, because we know JKR is not gonna let that happen, due to the interview Jo-Jo linked us to. (Weird that shippers can come up with Draco X Ginny)

♥Princess Ketchum♥
16th December 2005, 7:46 PM
i think Harry and Hermione should be together, because they are meant to be

Fullmetal_Alchemist
16th December 2005, 9:41 PM
I'm just wondering something - isn't Harry/Hermione ie main hero and main heroine - as cliched an idea as Ron/Hermione?

I'm not much of a HP shipper, I'm too scared of the really rabid faction of the fandom though I'd have to say that the 4th movie has made me something of a Harry/Cedric shipper.

Shadowfaith
16th December 2005, 10:00 PM
Snape/ Lupin: The more they hate eachother the better in my oppinion, just give more options >=D I am not a Sirius/ Remus shipper at all...I am really not a Cannon person.

Snape/ Lucius: Yeah...my bad habbit shipping XP

Voldemort/ Snape: Another bad habbit.

Lucius/ Lupin: ...and another...

Voldemort/ Lucius: ...and another...

Voldemort/ Lucius/ Snape: ...and another...

Okay...thats about it XD

Kasumi Christie
16th December 2005, 10:21 PM
I'm a huge HermionexSeverus shipper as if that wasn't obvious enough. -And I agree with many of the reasons which Kveran stated. I just can't stand those who continuously bash the ship, I actually had some 'guy' on this forum (to put it in the nicest way possible) that sent me a PM, the main point being to ask me whether I actually supported HermionexSeverus or if I was just taking the piss...the nerve... ¬¬

Fullmetal_Alchemist
16th December 2005, 10:37 PM
I think it's because of the whole idea of a student/teacher sexual relationship that squicks people. That and the fact that Snape does seem to really hate her, for both her friendship with Harry and her Muggle background.

Kasumi Christie
16th December 2005, 11:00 PM
I think it's because of the whole idea of a student/teacher sexual relationship that squicks people. That and the fact that Snape does seem to really hate her, for both her friendship with Harry and her Muggle background.

Yes I'm well aware of why some oppose it. I was merely stating that I couldn't stand it (I don't bash their ships >>; ) and how it annoyed me that just because some people couldn't believe in said ship that this 'had' to mean that I 'didn't really support HGxSS', I was just taking the piss..

Fullmetal_Alchemist
17th December 2005, 12:43 AM
cough I knew that

*runs off*

Wolf Goddess
17th December 2005, 1:30 AM
I'm just wondering something - isn't Harry/Hermione ie main hero and main heroine - as cliched an idea as Ron/Hermione?

While main hero/main heroine is indeed cliched, love/hate relationships are even more cliched.

twilightespeon
17th December 2005, 1:58 AM
While main hero/main heroine is indeed cliched, love/hate relationships are even more cliched.

God, I can't agree more. ESPECIALLY in the ficworld. e_e; That's the main reason why Draco/Harry makes my brain hurt. At least a lot of Hero/Heroine ships are more plausible, if not more boring. I suppose you just have to pick the lesser of two evils and run with it, or ignore them altogether XD

My Ships:
Sirius/Remus: OTP. It's canon. >.> You can't convince me otherwise. Even JKR can't.
Harry/Hermione/Ron: OT3. I love Harry/Hermione, Harry/Ron, and Ron/Hermione, so I'm just sticking with this.
George/Ginny/Fred: ...OT3...2. :| I saw it drawn ONCE, and totally latched onto it. >.> She deserves better than...<i>him</i>.
Snape/Hermione: Crackshipping :3
Lucius/Snape: UGH lapdog <3
Lucius/Draco: ........>_> Daddy's boy. *solemn nod*
Cedric/Anything male: Movie!Cedric totally screamed Greek Youth. e_e; He needs to be slashed.
Bellatrix/Narcissa: Mmffgh. femslash plz.

XD Wow, I originally thought I didn't ship Harry Potter anymore, but I aparently do. I, however, REFUSE to write fics until she's done with the books. ; ; My fannon totally got my F'd in the A by OOTP.

Shadowfaith
17th December 2005, 8:32 AM
...But who cares! XD

I am not a Snape x Hermionie fan (mainly because I don't ship het, but...meh), but everyone has their own taste...it just so happens not to be mine =X

Shadowcat
17th December 2005, 8:54 AM
LOL Shadowfaith, nobody cares about it.

Anyways, there were Hermione/Harry scenes in the movie though. My desktop's wallpaper turns out to be Hermione Granger, and pictures from the movie, which are showing Harry. So, *Sapphire starts believing in Harry X Hermione*

But, even though I start supporting it, I shall always love Krum and Hermione. *Starts re-reading 4th Book, as Krum was in it and had scenes with Hermione. Stares at a 'Krum kissing Hermione's hand' picture in the Yule Ball from the movie*

Kanta-chan
18th December 2005, 5:33 PM
The 6th book, just killed me. x_x; Ugh.

I didn't like the Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermoine pairings a lot. =/

Anyhoo, I like Draco/Cho, Draco/Hermoine, Draco/Ron, Draco/Harry . . . o-o; I like pairings with Draco. Draco/Cho is the best even though there was never anything like this in the story, but I didn't like Harry/Cho a lot so . . . yeah. I just paired Cho up with Harry's enemy/rival and got such a cute pairing. Oo;

cold_katanagirl
18th December 2005, 5:59 PM
Can't believe I didn't see this topic. x___X

Harry x Luna, Harry x Hermione, Ron x Hermione, Harry x Cho... And I think I support one with Neville.

My shipping interest for Harry Potter has dwindled since HBP. I was sickened by the drama between Ron and Hermione, and I support the blasted pairing. Harry x Ginny just sucked. D:

Kanta-chan
18th December 2005, 6:06 PM
My shipping interest for Harry Potter has dwindled since HBP. I was sickened by the drama between Ron and Hermione, and I support the blasted pairing. Harry x Ginny just sucked. D:
Me too and I agree about Harry/Ginny. -_-

I liked Ron/Hermoine until HBP and stopped supporting it. O_o;

Wolf Goddess
19th December 2005, 12:20 AM
Me too. >_> Hermione was just so b*tchy to him it turned me off from the shipping and the character in general. The way she treated Harry was abysmal too. "oh noez ur doing better in a subject than MEEEEE!!!!111"

Shadowfaith
19th December 2005, 12:27 AM
I'm just waiting for Lupin to die in the next book...that will ruin my no one shipping...I will be doomed ;-;

Lil Brother
19th December 2005, 12:38 AM
Believe it or not, I've supported Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermoine ever since PoA the book came out. :P I was really excited when they both became canon. But Harry, stop pretending you're Spider-Man and get her back. Seriously.

Favorite fanon ship would have to be...Snape x Dumbeldore. Come on, there has to be a reason why Albus trusted him! :P

cold_katanagirl
19th December 2005, 12:48 AM
I suspected Harry x Ginny from the beginning actually. I didn't really like the way it was brought about. Harry seemed so obsessed with actually getting together with her, he didn't really consider if Ginny would even like him. I was almost hoping Ginny wouldn't like Harry and he'd be crushed. But oh well, no use crying over spilt milk I suppose.

As for Ron x Hermione, I still support it and whatnot. I only hope in the next book they won't have as much drama. I want the old Ron x Hermione, not this cheesy love thing. D:

Eh, maybe I'm overreacting. Hopefully.

Kasumi-chan
3rd January 2006, 6:12 PM
ehh, this thread is kinda dead. should i make v2 of it, or just not bother?
this is seriously off topic, but has anybody watched potter puppet pals?

Jo-Jo
3rd January 2006, 6:18 PM
^ :D YES!

"Bother!"

"I am Snape, the Potions master."

"Naked time!"

Brilliant. ^_^

Kagome Higurashi
4th January 2006, 1:04 AM
I've seen puppet pals!!!

By the way, can someone translate what this means:

Snape est il ou non un traitre?

cold_katanagirl
4th January 2006, 1:05 AM
Puppets? wtf? o____O

And a literal translate of that would be: Snape is he or not a traitor?

But it'd make more sense if it were: Snape: Is he a traitor or not?

Meh, French one sucks.

Kasumi-chan
10th January 2006, 8:43 AM
If anybody hasn't seen potter puppet pals, here's the link! click here! (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/potter.php)

Andromache
15th January 2006, 11:25 AM
I haven't read this entire thread, which is unusual because I generally read threads before posting, but here are comments so far.

I can actually see where Draco/Ginny comes from. It's sort of a Romeo/Juliet deal - two people from families who hate each other. Could also be rich guy/poor girl. The personalities I think would clash, but I can see the reasoning. Draco/Hermione is a bit harder to justify, except perhaps the attraction to complete opposites.

My OTP is Snape/McGonagall. And I don't want to hear, "But she's too old for him." Grrrrrr. True, after HBP, this ship is difficult to justify, but who knows. Neither character is dead...yet. It's just that they're often together when solving problems and they treat their students similarly, though McGonagall is definitely much more fair. I can see them having lively debates on whether Potions or Transfig takes more skill or whether cats or snakes are better creatures, all the while sarcastically barbing each other but respecting each other's ability and intellect at the same time. ;)

I also support Harry/Hermione and I thought Viktor/Hermione was cute, too. To the person who said it makes no sense, I would respectfully remind you that Hermione was writing a novella-length letter to Viktor, which proceeded to make Ron jealous, and there's canon evidence Viktor was crushing on Hermione.

I dislike Ron with anybody. He's too immature, IMO.

I *hated* Lupin/Tonks. Where the *hell* did that come from? There was no canon build-up that I could see except maybe in HBP, and that's simply not good enough. At least, Ron/Hermione could be seen a mile away, even though I hate the ship.

Bill/Fleur is teh awesome.

That is all. For now.

Edit: I've seen Potter Puppet Pals. It's hilarious!

Edit 2: I completely forgot about Harry/Ginny. Boooooo! Cliche, cliche, and more cliche. Oh, and Oedipus complex. -_-

Snape/Lily: *chokes* Nooooo. If we find that to be true, I will stop reading and officially declare HP as a huge waste of time, all the while berating myself for ever having cared enough to rant in the first place.

Edit 3: The "romance" in HBP was atrocious. Absolutely horrible. OMG! It was so annoying and boring. It took away from the nice backstory on Riddle and Snape. Drama does not equal romance. It did not help that I hated practically every ship. The only irony is that HBP made me love Fleur. If those icky, shallow scenes were cut out, it would have been a much better book. Note to Rowling: Fantasy books should not focus on romance...ever. It can be hinted at quite subtly and still be romantic. Aragorn/Arwen.

The_Dark_Angel_87
15th January 2006, 5:28 PM
I like harryxhermione, and ronxluna.

In the books, you can see slight hints that hermione likes harry. I hate ronxhermione because it was just so.....i cant describe it.

I like RonxLuna well enough, it seems a bit strange but nice.

STJ
15th January 2006, 10:23 PM
Edit 2: I completely forgot about Harry/Ginny. Boooooo! Cliche, cliche, and more cliche. Oh, and Oedipus complex. -_-
Can you explain? The Oedipus complex part, I mean....

Edit 3: The "romance" in HBP was atrocious. Absolutely horrible. OMG! It was so annoying and boring. It took away from the nice backstory on Riddle and Snape. Drama does not equal romance. It did not help that I hated practically every ship. The only irony is that HBP made me love Fleur. If those icky, shallow scenes were cut out, it would have been a much better book. Note to Rowling: Fantasy books should not focus on romance...ever. It can be hinted at quite subtly and still be romantic. Aragorn/Arwen.

I agree XD

Magus
16th January 2006, 12:45 AM
I agree too. There's a reason the minor character ships are the only canon ones I can stand in Harry Potter: they're safely in the background where they can't intrude on the real story with. Some authors just aren't good at romance, and from reading HBP I think Rowling is one of them. With the previous books it wasn't obvious because all the romance was in the background where it belongs for this kind of story.

I think the "Oedipus complex" comment comes from how Harry/Ginny fans like to compare her to Harry's mom, but really she just has the same hair color as Lily and that's it.

cold_katanagirl
16th January 2006, 12:48 AM
If anybody hasn't seen potter puppet pals, here's the link! click here! (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/potter.php)... Well that was weird.

About Harry and Ginny... I never really cared about Ginny, so HBP was an annoying change.

But I expected the ship all along. Meh.

STJ
16th January 2006, 12:54 AM
Does anybody think that they'll break up as well?

That is, if they are actually together at this point...

cold_katanagirl
16th January 2006, 12:56 AM
Harry and Ginny or Ron and Hermione?

STJ
16th January 2006, 12:57 AM
Harry and Ginny..

I really need to start being more specific XD

cold_katanagirl
16th January 2006, 1:01 AM
Harry and Ginny "broke up" at the end of HBP. But it sounded like a cheesy Spiderman thing to me.

They'll get back together eventually.

Magus
16th January 2006, 1:01 AM
Harry and Ginny "broke up" at the end of HBP. But it sounded like a cheesy Spiderman thing to me.

They'll get back together eventually.
I sort of hope Ginny dies, just because she was such an annoying Mary-Sue in HBP.

Jo-Jo
16th January 2006, 2:19 AM
So am I the only one who likes the romance in HBP?

*crickets chirp*

I think it's strange so many Pokeshippers seem to hate Ron/Hermione. They're essentially the same ship.

Wolf Goddess
16th January 2006, 2:21 AM
So am I the only one who likes the romance in HBP?

Meh, I like Pink Werewolf, I just would have liked more of an indication for it in OotP.

cold_katanagirl
16th January 2006, 2:31 AM
... I'll just assume Pink Werewolf is Lupin x Tonks. Yeah. o_o
I think it's strange so many Pokeshippers seem to hate Ron/Hermione. They're essentially the same ship.I think there's strange there are so many Harmony folk... Woo go fanon. Or whatever. I like Heron though so... Canon is halfway awesome. D:

Maybe it's because Misty and Hermione are different or something.

Heron bothered me in HBP because it was so much drama. I thought it was due to making where JK was headed perfectly clear though, so I understand why. But it was still pretty annoying.

I always thought Chocolate sucked, so there ya go.
I sort of hope Ginny dies, just because she was such an annoying Mary-Sue in HBP.o_o

Jo-Jo
16th January 2006, 2:48 AM
Maybe it's because Misty and Hermione are different or something.

I think Misty makes a rather nice cross between Hermione and Ginny. Like Hermione, she's the female sidekick, and she's quite bossy and opinionated - a bit of a know-it-all. She's got a strong social conscience (e.g. Tentacool and Tentacruel - "there's a girl who can't be bought"), feels insecure about her appearance at times, and is often the practical one of the group as opposed to Ash's reckless approach to problems and Brock's more philosophical one. And Ash/Misty = Ron/Hermione. While Misty is like Ginny in that she's a fiesty redhead who isn't afraid to knock some sense into Ash's thick head. She's a tomboy, the youngest in the family, has to make do with hand-me-downs, and gets a huge crush on the hero.

Then again, she's also a bit like Ron... quick to anger, insecure about her family, jealous and sometimes violent. Hmm.

In fanon terms, though, May is Hermione and Misty is Ginny. Nobody gets bashed worse than Misty and Ginny. Poor girls.

Magus
16th January 2006, 4:18 AM
I look at Ron/Hermione as a Pok&#233;shipping type romance done wrong. Their whole interaction always seemed boring to me and for half the series Hermione was totally obvious to Ron's crush. That's believable for a character whose defining trait is cluelessness to everything except his "quest", but think about if it was Ash who had an obvious crush on Misty for years and Misty never clued in. If everything else about their characters was exactly the same, would you buy that scenario? Casting Hermione in the "Ash" role of the ship doesn't work.

Ginny was okay, until Rowling apparently decided she had to be Super-Ginny, good at everything and admired by every remotely sympathetic character (and even by some of the evil characters!), to be worthy of dating the hero.

STJ
16th January 2006, 4:57 AM
Heron bothered me in HBP because it was so much drama. I thought it was due to making where JK was headed perfectly clear though, so I understand why. But it was still pretty annoying

My sentiments exactly.

It's one thing to make it clear, it's another to shove it in your face. and I didn't like the drama either - that's what Soap Operas are for ;)

Jo-Jo
16th January 2006, 9:53 AM
I look at Ron/Hermione as a Pokéshipping type romance done wrong.
Considering Misty ended up buggering off back to Cerulean, I think Pokeshipping turned out to be a Pokeshipping type romance done wrong. :p

Their whole interaction always seemed boring to me and for half the series Hermione was totally obvious to Ron's crush. That's believable for a character whose defining trait is cluelessness to everything except his "quest", but think about if it was Ash who had an obvious crush on Misty for years and Misty never clued in. If everything else about their characters was exactly the same, would you buy that scenario? Casting Hermione in the "Ash" role of the ship doesn't work.
*blink* Waaaaaaait a minute. Hermione? Oblivious? What do you think her yelling out "If you don't like it, you know what the solution is, don't you? ... Next time there's a ball, ask me before someone else does, and not as a last resort!" was all about? Hermione totally got that Ron liked her.

There's no gender-swapping necessary to make AAML a R/Hr parallel. In both ships, you have a dumb clueless boy who's too entrenched in denial to realise that he likes the girl and constantly puts his foot in his mouth around her, while she grows steadily more frustrated with him. The main difference is that Misty didn't believe that Ash liked her back, whereas Hermione was well aware of Ron's feelings ever since book 4.

Ginny was okay, until Rowling apparently decided she had to be Super-Ginny, good at everything and admired by every remotely sympathetic character (and even by some of the evil characters!), to be worthy of dating the hero.
Ginny was given a lot of the traits she has - such as warmth, cheerfulness and toughness - because they make her compatible with Harry. She was designed to be the perfect girl for Harry, basically. Arguably that does make her a Sue, but I can see why it was done.

What evil characters admired her? I can't think of one unless you're counting Blaise Zabini. And he only thought she was good-looking - he still said he'd never date "a filthy little blood traitor like her".

It's one thing to make it clear, it's another to shove it in your face.
........Yeah, canon ships tend to be shoved in your face. That's kinda why they're canon.

I wonder if anyone ever reads books like HP and says, "God am I sick of Rowling shoving that blasted Harry vs. Voldemort plot in my face. Hello, Good vs. Evil has sooo been done." :p

STJ
16th January 2006, 10:31 AM
........Yeah, canon ships tend to be shoved in your face. That's kinda why they're canon.

I wonder if anyone ever reads books like HP and says, "God am I sick of Rowling shoving that blasted Harry vs. Voldemort plot in my face. Hello, Good vs. Evil has sooo been done." :p

Hey, It is possible to have a canon pairing without the writer having to repeatedly remind us to the point where it's insulting to our intelligence, you know.... The Lord of the Rings is a pretty good example :p

Jo-Jo
16th January 2006, 11:03 AM
Yeah, but the romance in LotR was a minor background thing that was incidental to the plot - going on what I've heard from fandomers and the movies, that is (haven't read the books). Whereas HP is a coming of age story. If we're going to follow these kids and watch them grow up, then it makes much more sense for us to see them experiencing romance.

Plus, love is one of the main themes of the series, and that includes all kinds of love. JKR wasn't putting in all that shippy stuff because she thought we all needed to be beat over the head with the shipping in order to get that something was going on. In fact, she was under the impression that everyone got it - or should get it - after GoF. She put it in because it's important to the characterisation and the theme and... well, she wanted to. Why wouldn't she? Writing romance is fun. Ask a number of people on the forums. ;)

Magus
16th January 2006, 11:33 AM
Considering Misty ended up buggering off back to Cerulean, I think Pokeshipping turned out to be a Pokeshipping type romance done wrong. :p
Better for Ash and Misty to not get together yet than to get together in an poorly-written over-the-top soap opera scenario.

Ginny was given a lot of the traits she has - such as warmth, cheerfulness and toughness - because they make her compatible with Harry.
Those are traits she had before she became Super-Ginny. There was no need to suddenly make her a great athlete, stunningly beautiful, one of the most popular girls in the school, etc. It makes the whole thing seem shallower, like Rowling is saying Ginny wouldn't be good enough to date the hero without adding those elements.

STJ
16th January 2006, 12:42 PM
I always thought Chocolate sucked, so there ya go. o_o

Just out of curiosity, is that a name of a ship?

Andromache
16th January 2006, 1:50 PM
I'm with Magus on Ginny. She evolved from sweet, timid, and relatively naive to loud, conspiring, mischievous, and sporty. Essentially, she's a girl version of Fred and George. Oh yeah, and the Oedipus complex - both Lily and Ginny are cheeky b*tches. Oh, and the thing that really killed me - Ginny said she was acting like herself on Hermione's advice so Harry'd notice her. The whole thing smacks of, "I need a man to complete me." Ugh. And before anyone points it out, I'm aware that Rowling has said Ginny never shuts up in CoS; however, saying something versus what I saw even in GoF contradicts each other, and we all know that what a character does is more important than what the author says. :) Even if we do take that into account, it just means Ginny's talkative, which is different from being loud and sociable. Meh, methinks the character was changed midway at the spur of the moment. Can you tell I don't like her or Lily?

I think the thing that bugs me about the romances is that I really can't...buy them. I mean, it's so melodramatic. It's like the romance brings out all the bad characteristics of the pairings involved rather than the good ones. Case in point: Tonks. What was she doing after the end battle? Whining to Lupin that Fleur doesn't care that Bill's part werewolf or completely werewolf. I'm sort of confused on that point. Bill's life is changed forever and DD's out of commission, and all Tonks can do is pout about the fact she isn't getting what she wants? In fact, HBP seems to be saying, "Don't fall in love, because if you do, you'll become an unrecognizable monster." The romances might have been cute if the newfound love brought out previously unseen good things, or maybe enhanced the good characteristics we've already seen in previous books. Instead, it was just pages I felt like skipping, except that it was my first reading of the book and that would be cheating.

Jo-Jo
16th January 2006, 6:05 PM
Better for Ash and Misty to not get together yet than to get together in an poorly-written over-the-top soap opera scenario.
What was so soap opera-ish about the Hermione/Ron/Lavender triangle? I thought it was hilarious. And it gave me my favourite R/Hr moment ever (the bit where Hermione attacked Ron with canaries).

Those are traits she had before she became Super-Ginny. There was no need to suddenly make her a great athlete, stunningly beautiful, one of the most popular girls in the school, etc.
She wasn't a great athlete - a good one, but not a superstar. She was, in Angelina's words, no Harry in OotP when she was playing Seeker. And when she made Chaser, she was good, but I don't think it was implied she was any better than Katie or Demelza. And the original three Chasers, Angelina, Alicia and Katie, were all "superb" (Oliver Wood).

As for stunningly beautiful, where is that stated? She was described as good looking by, I think, Pansy Parkinson, and Harry's descriptions of her are positive, but that's all. Her popularity with the boys seemed to be largely due to her being confident and outgoing rather than merely pretty. And she's only had three significant love-affairs - that's the same as Hermione and Cho. Harry and Ron might consider her "too popular for her own good", but considering that Harry wants her for himself and Ron is her over-protective big brother, that doesn't mean that she's hugely popular by a neutral party's standards.

It makes the whole thing seem shallower, like Rowling is saying Ginny wouldn't be good enough to date the hero without adding those elements.
But it's common to give the hero's love interest lots of desirable traits. And the fact that Harry fancies Ginny and the books are in his POV is naturally going to make her seem even more attractive. It's narrator bias.

Just out of curiosity, is that a name of a ship?
Yes, Chocolate is one of the names for Harry/Ginny. It's named for the scene in OotP where Ginny brought Harry chocolate in the library. For some reason about a year ago, the Harry/Hermione, Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny shippers on Mugglenet all came up with different names for their ships. I don't know why. Originally it was HMS Pumpkin Pie (H/Hr), The Good Ship R/Hr and the HMS Orange Crush (H/G). Then the shippers came up with Harmony (H/Hr), Heron (R/Hr) and Chocolate (H/G).

To be honest, I think all of the names suck. :p The only ones I like are the SS Sssssssss (Harry/Tom Riddle) and The Goverment Stole My Toad (Neville/Luna).

I'm with Magus on Ginny. She evolved from sweet, timid, and relatively naive to loud, conspiring, mischievous, and sporty.
Yeah, but that happens all the time. The whiny little tagalong grows up and suddenly all the boys who thought she was just a quiet little girl are falling over themselves to win her over.

Oh yeah, and the Oedipus complex - both Lily and Ginny are cheeky b*tches.
And Lily and Hermione are both intelligent Muggle-borns. It isn't like Harry's ever compared Lily to Ginny. If there is a parallel, it's likely a symbolic one, not Harry having an Oedipus complex.

Oh, and the thing that really killed me - Ginny said she was acting like herself on Hermione's advice so Harry'd notice her. The whole thing smacks of, "I need a man to complete me."
But if she hadn't taken Hermione's advice, she would have carried on silently pining! Ginny was miserable when she was crushing on Harry. At least the way she did things, she was moving on and having some fun. All Hermione told her to do was be herself - isn't that the best advice anyone can get when it comes to love?

Meh, methinks the character was changed midway at the spur of the moment.
I think JKR must have known all along what Ginny was really like - in fact, I vaguely remember reading an interview where she says it.

Hmm, some day I'm going to have to go through the first four books and find moments where OotP!HBP!Ginny was in evidence. :p

It's like the romance brings out all the bad characteristics of the pairings involved rather than the good ones.
:D Just like in real life! "Love makes you do the whacky", to quote Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny behave badly in HBP - especially Ron/Hermione - because they aren't together yet. The sexual tension is ticking over. They're frustrated, and that's what's bringing out the worst in them. When they get together, though, all of their issues will be resolved. They won't need to be jealous of Viktor or Lavender; Hermione won't need to be insecure about her looks; Ron won't need to be insecure about his Quidditch ability. That's when romance will start to bring out the best in them. They were making good progress towards the end, when Ron held Hermione and stroked her hair at Dumbledore's funeral.

You can see that with Harry and Ginny, too. When they're a couple, they're so sweet to each other. They have a really easy, natural rapport. And Harry does a very noble (if Peter Parker-ish :D) thing in breaking up with her to protect her, and she does a selfless thing in letting him go without making it hard for him.

Case in point: Tonks. What was she doing after the end battle? Whining to Lupin that Fleur doesn't care that Bill's part werewolf or completely werewolf. I'm sort of confused on that point. Bill's life is changed forever and DD's out of commission, and all Tonks can do is pout about the fact she isn't getting what she wants?
Tonks and Remus had been arguing all year about marriage. Remus was doing the same thing as Harry and pushing Tonks away to protect her, because he feels he is "too old, too poor and too dangerous". Tonks didn't understand this because she didn't care about any of those things. When Fleur said she'd still marry Bill even though he had been bitten by a werewolf, that caused Tonks to snap and yell at Remus that it was the exact same case with them. Fleur loves Bill despite what happened to him, and Tonks loves Remus in spite of his lycanthropy.

Admittedly her timing was a little unfortunate, but where else was Rowling supposed to put that scene? It would have been even more inappropriate at Dumbledore's funeral.

Mysty
16th January 2006, 9:50 PM
Has anyone here mentioned Dumbledore x McGonagall yet?

Magus
16th January 2006, 11:26 PM
But it's common to give the hero's love interest lots of desirable traits. And the fact that Harry fancies Ginny and the books are in his POV is naturally going to make her seem even more attractive. It's narrator bias.
It still smacks of Sue-ification to have a character suddenly become popular, athletic, and desired by half the boys in the school right at the same time the hero notices her as a love interest. Again it makes the whole thing seem more superficial, because it gives the impression that the hero wouldn't have noticed her otherwise. I know Rowling doesn't want to portray Harry as a shallow guy who only cares about looks and popularity (that's why the whole Cho thing crashed and burned), which is why Sue-ifying Ginny is so unfortunate.

HBP coming as the followup to OOTP doesn't help either. OOTP had large roles for Neville and Luna, showing readers that people seen by their peers as "weird" and "losers" can be heroes too. But then in the shippier HBP those characters disappeared into background. I guess in Rowling's world romance is only an option if you're pretty and popular.

Wolf Goddess
17th January 2006, 3:09 AM
She wasn't a great athlete - a good one, but not a superstar. She was, in Angelina's words, no Harry in OotP when she was playing Seeker. And when she made Chaser, she was good, but I don't think it was implied she was any better than Katie or Demelza. And the original three Chasers, Angelina, Alicia and Katie, were all "superb" (Oliver Wood).

Just popping in here for a moment, but I remember it being said that she scored something like six out of eight goals.

Andromache
13th February 2006, 10:22 AM
I know this is exceedingly late and the thread is probably dead, but whatever. It's still under a month since the last person posted. :P

What was so soap opera-ish about the Hermione/Ron/Lavender triangle? I thought it was hilarious. And it gave me my favourite R/Hr moment ever (the bit where Hermione attacked Ron with canaries).

I'm with Magus that all these romances were terribly overdramatic. Heck, I even dislike romances like this - I'm talking those paperback novels, not romance within fantasy. It can be argued that over-dramatization is a literary convention and it would hardly be fun to read about normal characters, which is true to some extent, but romance in fantasy tends to take away from the main plot - in this case, Harry's fight with Voldemort. Anyway, romance isn't fun when it's dysfunctional. Eh, but I actually found most of HBP to be rather dull, aside from the Slytherin things like Riddle's history, Spinner's End, Draco's development, and of course, the Horcruxes.

And the canaries were not funny to me - my first thought was, "OMG! Ron could get his eyes pecked out." Canaries aren't very big, so perhaps the first reaction was a bit melodramatic in itself, but small birds have painful beaks, too.

As for stunningly beautiful, where is that stated? She was described as good looking by, I think, Pansy Parkinson, and Harry's descriptions of her are positive, but that's all. Her popularity with the boys seemed to be largely due to her being confident and outgoing rather than merely pretty. And she's only had three significant love-affairs - that's the same as Hermione and Cho. Harry and Ron might consider her "too popular for her own good", but considering that Harry wants her for himself and Ron is her over-protective big brother, that doesn't mean that she's hugely popular by a neutral party's standards.

True, it's probably not outright stated that she's gorgeous, but come on. It's implied. Also, seeing as she's on the Quidditch team, I'd assume she's popular. Generally, athletes are.

As for the love affairs, they'd be okay if not for the fact it was stated she only went out with the guys to make Harry jealous. Somehow, I don't think Hermione's date with Viktor or Cedric/Cho was done for the same reason. In Viktor's case, Ron was simply too slow.

Yeah, but that happens all the time. The whiny little tagalong grows up and suddenly all the boys who thought she was just a quiet little girl are falling over themselves to win her over.

And that's why she comes off as something of a Sue. I guess she could have gone from timid to super-sociable or from a background character who had a cute crush on Harry to a foreground love interest, but it was really the way it was pulled off that's the problem. Everything seemed to happen overnight, as it were, and such a *rapid* change isn't realistic., especially when no hints to said propensity for sociability or even Quidditch interest were in evidence. It's easy to say she was suppressing these characteristics to try to appeal to Harry, but for all the time Harry's been at the Burrow, there was nothing to say Ginny wasn't what she appeared to be. In CoS, she was holding her mom's hand. I thought she was six, not ten. Then we don't really see her till GoF, and at that point, she's realistically nervous and stammering around Harry, but unrealistically so given that she's naturally easygoing and shouldn't actually have such problems.

And Lily and Hermione are both intelligent Muggle-borns. It isn't like Harry's ever compared Lily to Ginny. If there is a parallel, it's likely a symbolic one, not Harry having an Oedipus complex.

Oh, but Hermione and Lily are definitely different people. For instance, I think Hermione tends to avoid conflict, and if she gets involved, her influence is covert and in the background, whereas Lily seems more direct and in-your-face, like Ginny. The hidden jinx in the DA contract in OotP, which she didn't tell anyone about, as well as the coins, were her ideas. Hermione seems more choosy with her battles, being unwilling to get into conflict with Snape and just taking his abuse. Sure, she slapped Draco, but she was running on very little sleep so it wasn't really a normal thing. Also, she's unwilling to call Snape evil or disparage him overtly, as Ron and Harry do repeatedly.

Lily publicly stood up to James out of moral outrage, as well as refusing to surrender baby Harry to Voldemort and giving her life instead. There isn't any example for Ginny's conflict-management style, but it's clear she's turned into "one of the guys," so I'd imagine she'd be fairly aggressive if something was going on that she didn't like. Look how she treated poor Fleur, who was in a foreign land and who should have been treated with at least more civility than she was. I suspect Lily was just as arrogant as James in her own way, if Petunia bares a grudge against her to this day.

But if she hadn't taken Hermione's advice, she would have carried on silently pining! Ginny was miserable when she was crushing on Harry. At least the way she did things, she was moving on and having some fun. All Hermione told her to do was be herself - isn't that the best advice anyone can get when it comes to love?

This is definitely true.

:D Just like in real life! "Love makes you do the whacky", to quote Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny behave badly in HBP - especially Ron/Hermione - because they aren't together yet. The sexual tension is ticking over. They're frustrated, and that's what's bringing out the worst in them. When they get together, though, all of their issues will be resolved. They won't need to be jealous of Viktor or Lavender; Hermione won't need to be insecure about her looks; Ron won't need to be insecure about his Quidditch ability. That's when romance will start to bring out the best in them. They were making good progress towards the end, when Ron held Hermione and stroked her hair at Dumbledore's funeral.

Ha. Forgot that scene. How cute, even though I don't like the ship. I accept this explanation.

You can see that with Harry and Ginny, too. When they're a couple, they're so sweet to each other. They have a really easy, natural rapport. And Harry does a very noble (if Peter Parker-ish :D) thing in breaking up with her to protect her, and she does a selfless thing in letting him go without making it hard for him.

Well, that's definitely an example of romance bringing out the best in people. Still a bit disappointed H/Hr didn't happen, but at least Harry/Ginny wasn't portrayed as cruel, vindictive, or otherwise maladapted.

Tonks and Remus had been arguing all year about marriage. Remus was doing the same thing as Harry and pushing Tonks away to protect her, because he feels he is "too old, too poor and too dangerous". Tonks didn't understand this because she didn't care about any of those things. When Fleur said she'd still marry Bill even though he had been bitten by a werewolf, that caused Tonks to snap and yell at Remus that it was the exact same case with them. Fleur loves Bill despite what happened to him, and Tonks loves Remus in spite of his lycanthropy.

Admittedly her timing was a little unfortunate, but where else was Rowling supposed to put that scene? It would have been even more inappropriate at Dumbledore's funeral.

Can't argue here. But Lupin's right. And where's he gonna get Wolfsbane now that Snape is on the DE side and DD's not around to compel Snape to brew it for him? Idealistic love is sweet and all. I used to be that way, too. Still, it can truly be life-threatening for Tonks.

DarkDeoxys
13th February 2006, 12:09 PM
I'll always be a Harry/Hermoine Shipper- i just think They mold together so well compared to Hr/R. I m a huge fan of the fics that have been written there's over 10,000 H/Hr Fics been written about the 6th Year and Beyond.

Other Ships:

Draco/Ginny : Conflicting yet they would be nice together who knows JK might include this in Book7?

Luna/ Ron- Ron is a idoit just leave it at that. Luna has pined over ron for 2 books now for god sakes though Harry does take her to slughorns party as a firend.

Tonks/Lpuin- Great Ship

here are the ships i support in every book/tv show/anime ive watched:

Harry Potter: Main Ship: H/Hr

Pokemon: Ash and Misty - It's destiny! (Misty's Songs Proves she Loves Ash and Ash has been Jealous on numerous Occasions)

Smallville: Chloe/Clark or Lois and Clark- 2 Great Ships with a lot of evidence to back the 2 up.
Dragonball Z/GT : Videl/Gohan
Beyblade: Hilary/ Tyson too bad they didnt finish the show with a lil clip at the end of these two married .
X Files: Mulder/Scully Happened Yay!
Digimon: Sora/Tai

Arrow
13th February 2006, 10:23 PM
Wherever I tend to go, for some reason I like conflicting ships. Harry/Ginny, Harry/Hermione, Lupin/Tonks, to name a few.

Draco Malfoy
17th February 2006, 11:06 AM
Bof! C'est nul! That's what the French will say if they see this thread. First let me clear up some conflict. *stands up at the podium and addresses everyone* First of all, Mary-Sue-ing Ginny is so NOT right! J.K.R. has officially declared Ginny a definately NON-Mary Sue. If I know correctly, J.K. has tried to expose the many flaws of Ginny, the biggest being the fact Ginny has a BIG temper, I mean BIG. And academically, Ginny is just above average, not extraordinary like Herminone, in fact the only extraordinary thing about Ginny in terms of academics is her infamous bag-boogey-hex! And J.K.R. had specifically designed Ginny to be Harry's partner. Reasons.

1.) Harry prefers girls who firmly trust him and have a big of ferosity in them rather than less trusting girls such as Cho and Marietta

2.) Ginny had a crush on Harry in CoS that blinded her. This was purposely made irony as Harrry had a crush on Ginny in HBP that also blinded him (to an extent)

3.) The main reason is because of this. James Potter has amber eyes and Lily Potter has green eyes. James likes Lily. Harry looks VERY similar to James exceot his green eyes. Ginny looks VERY similar to Lily except her amber eyes. *Gasps sarcastically* I wonder if Harry likes Ginny? J.K. Rowling had purposely done this to create a ironical relationship. J.K. likes irony, she says it fitts her witty nature.

So that is why I support Harry x Ginny all the way.

cold_katanagirl
17th February 2006, 11:44 PM
J.K.R. has officially declared Ginny a definately NON-Mary Sue. ... How many authors would admit one of their characters is a Mary Sue?

Not saying Ginny is, just pointing that out. And I'm being dead serious.

Torrey_the_Demon_Trainer
23rd February 2006, 6:57 PM
I'm for a Hermione+Victor relationship, and a Hermione+Brock relationship. Hermione is going to be so HOT in the next movie.

Magus
24th February 2006, 1:14 AM
First of all, Mary-Sue-ing Ginny is so NOT right! J.K.R. has officially declared Ginny a definately NON-Mary Sue.
As cold_katanagirl said, how many authors are going to admit one of their characters is a Mary-Sue?

If I know correctly, J.K. has tried to expose the many flaws of Ginny, the biggest being the fact Ginny has a BIG temper, I mean BIG.
The problem is, Ginny's temper wasn't actually treated like a flaw. She sufferred no apparent consequences when she had an inappropriate outburst, and the other characters acted as if she was always in the right. Even Fleur, who Ginny was extremely nasty to, seems to love her. That is the hallmark of a Mary-Sue: all the protagonists automatically agree with her, not because she's right but because she's Ginny.

And academically, Ginny is just above average, not extraordinary like Herminone, in fact the only extraordinary thing about Ginny in terms of academics is her infamous bag-boogey-hex!
Yet Professor Slughorn invites her to his exclusive club. He invited Harry because he's the celebrity of the Wizarding world. He invited Hermoine because she's the most brilliant student Hogwarts has seen in decades. He invited Cormac McLaggen, Blaise Zabini, and Melinda Bobbin because they have wealthy and/or powerful relatives. He invited Ginny because...she knows the bat-boogey hex. See a discrepency?

3.) The main reason is because of this. James Potter has amber eyes and Lily Potter has green eyes. James likes Lily. Harry looks VERY similar to James exceot his green eyes. Ginny looks VERY similar to Lily except her amber eyes. *Gasps sarcastically* I wonder if Harry likes Ginny? J.K. Rowling had purposely done this to create a ironical relationship. J.K. likes irony, she says it fitts her witty nature.
That kind of weak reasoning is a massive turn-off to the ship. Like the Sue-ification that Ginny went through so that Harry would notice her, it makes the relationship seem extremely superficial.

Jo-Jo
24th February 2006, 1:22 AM
At one point, Ginny's temper led to a huge, ugly screaming match with Ron, in which neither of them came off looking so good. As I recall, the fight led to Ron making out with Lavender and becoming estranged from Hermione. Not one of Ginny's shining moments. Especially since I doubt Hermione gave Ginny permission to tell Ron and Harry that she'd kissed Viktor Krum.

Ginny's nastiness to Fleur also paints her in a bad light, considering that Fleur ended up being given extremely positive treatment by JKR at the end of the book. And her use of the Bat Bogey Hex on the train results in her getting stuck in a compartment with Slughorn, which she certainly didn't see as a treat, even if he did.

I still think Ginny's inclusion in the Slug Club along with Harry and Hermione was more of a device to make Ron feel ostracised than a way of making Ginny look good. It's not like she enjoyed it there.

Brandon-kun
24th February 2006, 1:51 AM
[QUOTE=masterwannabe]Bof! C'est nul! That's what the French will say if they see this thread. First let me clear up some conflict. *stands up at the podium and addresses everyone* First of all, Mary-Sue-ing Ginny is so NOT right! J.K.R. has officially declared Ginny a definately NON-Mary Sue. If I know correctly, J.K. has tried to expose the many flaws of Ginny, the biggest being the fact Ginny has a BIG temper, I mean BIG. And academically, Ginny is just above average, not extraordinary like Herminone, in fact the only extraordinary thing about Ginny in terms of academics is her infamous bag-boogey-hex! And J.K.R. had specifically designed Ginny to be Harry's partner. Reasons.

1.) Harry prefers girls who firmly trust him and have a big of ferosity in them rather than less trusting girls such as Cho and Marietta

doesn't Hermione trust him?

Magus
24th February 2006, 2:15 AM
Ginny's nastiness to Fleur also paints her in a bad light, considering that Fleur ended up being given extremely positive treatment by JKR at the end of the book.
Yet, we have the other characters acting as if there was nothing wrong with Ginny's nastiness. Nobody ever calls her out on it, and even Fleur, who IMHO would almost be justified if she transmuted Ginny into a toad, treats her as if she's the most wonderful person on earth. It's not just Ginny's actions that make her a Mary-Sue, it's how the other characters react to her.

I still think Ginny's inclusion in the Slug Club along with Harry and Hermione was more of a device to make Ron feel ostracised than a way of making Ginny look good. It's not like she enjoyed it there.
It's still bad writing, seeing as there wasn't any logical reason for her to be there.

Rowling did a lot of things right with HBP (Voldemort and Snape's backstories were brilliant), but the romance and Ginny's portrayal were lacking.

Andromache
25th February 2006, 2:50 AM
I'm for a Hermione+Victor relationship, and a Hermione+Brock relationship. Hermione is going to be so HOT in the next movie.
I don't know about Brock/Hermione, since I'm not really a crossover fan, but I did think Viktor/Hermione was cute. A shame it is now officially fanon. Oh well. I'll still like it. Canon never stopped me dreaming.

Magus, once again I agree with you. The histories were wonderful, but HP often has the problem of characters being written to suit plot and not the other way around. I think plot should work around characters. It's harder to write that way, but it's ultimately a more cohesive and logical whole.

intergalactic platypus
25th February 2006, 4:13 AM
I'll contribute to the debate. Ginny was so Sue-ified because every single character seemed to adore her. She ran around with all the males at Hogwarts without being seen as a tramp, treated certain people *coughFluercough* like crap and no one ever called her on it, became a very good athlete without anyone really leading up to it, and was implied to be quite popular even though previously she had been a tagalong. Plus she pulled wit out of her arse all of a sudden, which is hard to believe. I think it was all done to lead up to some obnoxious romance between her and Harry

cold_katanagirl
25th February 2006, 6:04 PM
She ran around with all the males at Hogwarts without being seen as a tramp,... tf?

How in the world did Ginny around with all the males at Hogwarts and is anywhere near a tramp? She's gone out with Michael, Dean, and Harry. That's it.

For someone her age, that's pretty damn admirable, comparing to girls in real life, especially since she was still attached to Harry and was trying to move on from him. I actually find that mature.

... Not that I like Ginny or anything. D:

Jo-Jo
25th February 2006, 6:53 PM
THANK YOU. Three boyfriends in three years =/= ****.

Andromache
25th February 2006, 9:02 PM
... tf?

How in the world did Ginny around with all the males at Hogwarts and is anywhere near a tramp? She's gone out with Michael, Dean, and Harry. That's it.

For someone her age, that's pretty damn admirable, comparing to girls in real life, especially since she was still attached to Harry and was trying to move on from him. I actually find that mature.

I would contend that Ginny was not going out with those guys because she liked them but to either make Harry jealous or get him to notice her. Not very mature...I don't like insincerity, from girls or guys. That could be like those guys that break girls' hearts and don't care.

As for her being a tramp, I made the same mistake as well. It's just sort of the implication that she's popular with guys, which overshadows the fact that she's only been with three of them. It probably goes back to a hidden assumption that men and women tend to have most friends of the same sex. They do have friends of opposite sexes, but same-sex friends tend to vastly outnumber opposite-sex ones. The fact that Ginny is popular with guys carries a connotation that the guys must like her or she must like all of them, not that they are harmless friends.

intergalactic platypus
25th February 2006, 9:07 PM
... tf?

Its just that it seems in HBP we see a lot of scenes involving her making out with guys and such, which makes it seem like shes bouncing around with males. Plus the fact that shes using them to make Harry jealous

Jo-Jo
25th February 2006, 9:29 PM
I don't think she was using Michael and Dean to make Harry jealous. She didn't think that Harry would ever like her back. After all, she hooked up with Michael at the Yule Ball, after hearing about Harry's failed attempt to ask out Cho.

As for the tramp business, how is it Ginny's fault that society passes judgement over girls for being 'too friendly' with boys? There was nothing wrong with her conduct. Three boyfriends in three years is positively restrained. I've known girls who went through that many in one month.

cold_katanagirl
26th February 2006, 1:59 AM
Its just that it seems in HBP we see a lot of scenes involving her making out with guys and such, which makes it seem like shes bouncing around with males. Plus the fact that shes using them to make Harry jealousWasn't there only one scene where it was shown she was making out with Dean, which is fine because he's her boyfriend? o_o

I didn't really get the impression she used the other boys to make Harry jealous. It seemed she wanted to get over him because she thought he would never like her back instead of pining over him forever.

In short, she was trying to move on. Better to try and do something instead of sitting on your arse whining all day.
As for the tramp business, how is it Ginny's fault that society passes judgement over girls for being 'too friendly' with boys? There was nothing wrong with her conduct. Three boyfriends in three years is positively restrained. I've known girls who went through that many in one month.I've known girls who've gone through more in a matter of hours. :x

intergalactic platypus
26th February 2006, 3:36 AM
I only read it once (I know I'm bad), so I think I'm remembering this wrong. I could have sworn we saw her sucking face more then once...yeah I totally need to reread this

Andromache
26th February 2006, 12:23 PM
for the tramp business, how is it Ginny's fault that society passes judgement over girls for being 'too friendly' with boys? There was nothing wrong with her conduct. Three boyfriends in three years is positively restrained. I've known girls who went through that many in one month.
No, I wasn't implying it was her fault, just trying to make sense of why I overlooked the fact she's had three boyfriends when Ron and Harry didn't have girlfriends at a similar point in their lives.

I know at the end of HBP, Ginny says she went out with those guys to let Harry know she was desirable. She never gave up on him, even when she was going with Michael and Dean. So maybe she didn't go out with them to make Harry jealous, but it's debatable whether she liked those guys for them, and I say she didn't.

Jo-Jo
26th February 2006, 3:22 PM
I only read it once (I know I'm bad), so I think I'm remembering this wrong. I could have sworn we saw her sucking face more then once...yeah I totally need to reread this
If you count the time Harry kissed Ginny in the common room, then technically she got two 'onpage' kisses. But the second time she was the, uh, kissee, not the kisser. And the scene with Dean wasn't in public, for that matter - they were in a secluded corridor and it was an unlucky coincidence that Harry and Ron took that route as a shortcut.

If public displays of affection are the yardstick by which we measure promiscuity, though, then the biggest ****s in the series are Ron and Lavender, no contest. :p

I know at the end of HBP, Ginny says she went out with those guys to let Harry know she was desirable. She never gave up on him, even when she was going with Michael and Dean. So maybe she didn't go out with them to make Harry jealous, but it's debatable whether she liked those guys for them, and I say she didn't.
She never said anything about wanting Harry to think she was desirable. She said she never gave up hope, but she knew there would be no point in pining away forever. So she decided to take Hermione's advice and be herself, have some fun and try to put Harry out of her mind. I don't think she was using either of her first two boyfriends to get Harry jealous. For one thing, she didn't tell anyone (that we know of) except Hermione that she was dating Michael, and Harry didn't find out about that until nearly a year after Ginny and Michael started going out.

Andromache
27th February 2006, 1:48 AM
She never said anything about wanting Harry to think she was desirable. She said she never gave up hope, but she knew there would be no point in pining away forever. So she decided to take Hermione's advice and be herself, have some fun and try to put Harry out of her mind. I don't think she was using either of her first two boyfriends to get Harry jealous. For one thing, she didn't tell anyone (that we know of) except Hermione that she was dating Michael, and Harry didn't find out about that until nearly a year after Ginny and Michael started going out.
I see what you're saying. Ginny hadn't been blatantly obvious about her boyfriends. Still, it's arguable whether she was going out with them because she liked them and was honestly attracted to them or if she was secretly comparing them to Harry and they came up short. On top of that, Harry *was* jealous in HBP, and it could be said that if Ginny kept her boyfriends quiet, it was because she knew Ron and the twins would either tease her or yell at her. So the fact that Harry realized his feelings for Ginny because she was with another man doesn't help the case that Ginny might have gone with Dean, at least, for honest reasons. After all, if Ginny never gave up hope, then she certainly may have hoped that Harry would see she was liked by other men and think differently about her.

(Off topic, but why is it that this discussion is civil and has gone on with no hint of flamewar in sight and the discussion over in the "May VS Brock" thread has become tense? ;) )

Draco Malfoy
27th February 2006, 12:35 PM
Guys, guys, calm down! Okay, Ginny might have been a bit "perfect" but heck, aren't nearly all heroines who are the heros' love interest like that? In fact I've much bigger Mary-Sues in other heroines and seriously, it's a miracle Hermione is one of the unique characters in our world that has not been Mary-Sue-fied. J.K, is doing a good job in preventing Mary-Sues. See, she wanted every character in Hogwarts to be different from one another in one way or other. They each probably represent the different people who exist in our present world. Hermione and Luna are DEFINATELY not Mary-Sues (Hermione may have the brains but her anxiety, not so great popularity and her "plain" looks balance it out while Luna's "loony" beliefs, strange habits and her obvious unpopularity is balanced out by her strong faith in others (including her wacko father who promotes the loony beliefs. It's so faithful of Luna when she bluntly rejects that her father is "around the twist" according to Ron), her fairly okay intelligence and her extraordinary kindness and sympathy towards other who even hurt her before. And Ginny is flawed, she isn't THAT perfect. I think you guys have forgot how poor Ginny and the rest of the Weasleys are. I remember in CoS when she had to buy second hand books (like her other family members before her), her anxieties and her fear of rejection from Harry that made her an easy target to Riddle. And even though Mr Weasley has now been promoted, Ginny and her brothers' childroom was still not the best, having to be "bloodtraitors" and filthy poor "scum" according to the much richer pure blood families. Ginny was exceedingly poor and probably still is, in HBP, it is evidenced as Ron and Ginny still received the usual Christmas Presents and still had to severely restrain and save their money as usual. Ginny may have the popularity and the looks but for nearly all her life, she had to use second hand things and plus she kept on suffering from her anxiety until she was told by Hermione in the GoF to "get on with her life" and hooked up with Michael, ending her anxiety and "talking" again. Ginny probably didn't gain her popularity until the OoTP where she actually "spoke" for the first time. Ginny didn't play Quidditch officially as a Chaser until after she lost the anxiety problem. So therefore, this futher proves Ginny wasn't exactly popular until the later books. Yes, Ron may have suffered more than Ginny I know, but still ALL the Weasleys suffered and probably still are.

Magus
27th February 2006, 10:57 PM
The problem, again, is that making Ginny so "perfect" when she wasn't before makes the romance seem really superficial. Harry doesn't notice Ginny for 4 years, then suddenly she's pretty, popular, and athletic, and he's head over heels for her. It gives us the impression that Harry fell for her because of those things, that if Ginny had a more average appearance, wasn't super popular, and wasn't a Quidditch star, he'd still think of her as just Ron's little sister (on the occassions that he actually thought about her at all).

Jo-Jo
27th February 2006, 11:57 PM
I got the impression that the main reason Harry was drawn to Ginny was because she's funny. She's associated with laughter quite a lot - in the earlier books, there were a few moments where she and Harry would both notice something funny and share a private laugh over it. They seem to have the same kind of sense of humour - dry and rather biting.

There are a couple of quotes that I remember that show that laughter is really, really important to Harry where romance is concerned. One is from book 4, when Harry is estranged from Ron: 'Harry liked Hermione very much, but she just wasn't the same as Ron. There was a lot less laughter and a lot more hanging around in the library when Hermione was your best friend'. And one near the end of book 5, when the group finds out about Harry and Cho's breakup - '"You're well out of it, mate," Ron said. "I mean, she was quite good looking and all, but you need someone a bit more cheerful." He shot Ginny an oddly furtive look as he said it'.

It's clear: Harry needs a cheerful, optimistic person who can make him laugh. Hermione, Cho and Luna don't fit those requirements, but Ginny does. I don't see that her looks, popularity or athletic ability has much to do with it. Harry doesn't go around thinking how gorgeous she is; I don't think she's ever described as 'pretty', except in dialogue. We can tell he's attracted to her because of the positive and striking descriptions she gets in the narrative, but she's been getting those ever since book 2 - they aren't a new development. As for her popularity, if anything, Harry wishes she were less so, so he wouldn't have to cope with the competition. And her athleticism seems to me to be nothing more than a device to allow her and Harry to spend more time together, since Quidditch is such a huge part of his life.

Ginny is given desireable traits like popularity, Quidditch ability and a big loving family to make her seem like an attractive goal to the reader. But that doesn't mean that Harry's after her for her looks, talent or family. It's an authorial trick that works on the meta-level, not the character-level.

Magus
28th February 2006, 1:58 AM
Which further highlights why Sue-ifying Ginny was totally unnecessary. There was no need to do it, unless Rowling somehow thinks Ginny wouldn't be good enough for Harry unless she was popular, beautiful, and a star athlete. If that's the case, it's not Harry being superficial, it's Rowling.

Jo-Jo
28th February 2006, 4:39 AM
Well, as I said, I think the reason Ginny was made good at Quidditch was to provide an excuse for Harry to have to spend more time with her. She isn't described as being beautiful - Harry never calls her pretty in the narrative, and no other characters say anything more positive about her appearance than 'good looking' (I think). Pansy Parkinson says that "lots of boys like her", but that is probably largely due to her outgoing nature. We can infer that Harry finds Ginny attractive, but we have no data to suggest that she's stunningly gorgeous by average standards. I got the impression from the last two books that Ginny is striking in appearance, probably quite attractive, but not a beauty on the same level as Fleur or even Cho.

As for her popularity, it's common for writers to put a certain amount of emphasis on the lovelives of love interests. It gets the audience to think of the character in a romantic context. Misty and Drew both get that treatment. I wouldn't say this implies that Pokeshipping and Contestshipping are shallow romances.

Magus
28th February 2006, 5:23 AM
Suppose the next time they meet, Misty has the body of her manga counterpart and a crowd of fanboys constantly trying to ask her out, and Ash suddenly starts acting like Brock whenever he meets a Nurse Joy. If that happened, it would give the impression that if Misty still looked she did when they were travelling together, Ash wouldn't be interested.

As far as being on the Quidditch team being an excuse for Harry to spend time with her, why did Rowling have to resort to cheap plot devices? Why not just have them spend time together in the Common Room and leave it at that? Ron and Hermoine manage to spend time together, and they have no common activities other than being Harry's friends.

Jo-Jo
28th February 2006, 5:32 AM
But... Ginny doesn't have the body of Misty's manga counterpart or have a crowd of fanboys constantly trying to ask her out. How does that comparison work?

The reason why the Quidditch was needed is because the Harry Potter series is largely plot-driven. I can't see Rowling devoting entire scenes to Harry and Ginny holding conversations in the common room. Putting Ginny on the Quidditch team lets her be inserted into an already-existing subplot. It's a far more elegant way of organising the important scenes in the book.

Magus
28th February 2006, 6:44 AM
But... Ginny doesn't have the body of Misty's manga counterpart or have a crowd of fanboys constantly trying to ask her out. How does that comparison work?
Okay, that was an exaggeration on my part, but Ginny is suddenly very pretty (which she was never indicated to be before; from the previous books the impression I got was that her appearance was fairly average) and popular. But the fact remains that if Ash suddenly fell for Misty at the same time she was shown to be noticably prettier and more popular than before, that would make things seem pretty shallow.

Draco Malfoy
28th February 2006, 10:49 AM
I'm sorry Magus but I got to say Ginny isn't that gorgeous or that pretty. The reason why Pansy Parkinson says Ginny is like by a lot of boys is because of the following reasons.

1.) She is VERY outgoing
2.) Ginny has a fierce personality streak that boys find very feisty. Note: She doesn't pick fights that easy and she isn't a mean person. She is friends with Luna (something VERY hard to achieve if you have a bad temper) and the only two known fights was with Fleur and Dean. Hermione said Ginny was rocky with Dean for ages and Ginny was really getting angry at Dean for touching her when she doesn't want to be touched. i.e. through the portrait hole and Hermione and Mrs Weasley hated Fleur for ages now anyway before Ginny's alledged Sue-fication in OoTP. Largely due to her attitude. She does get a bit annoying from time to time. I mean who would want a person who keeps repeatedly snog her future husband on the diner table, completely ignoring you and she is a bit full of herself (Quote from HBP: "Oh Bill, I'm so happy I'm beautiful enough for you! After all I am beautiful!" said Fleur as Mrs Weasley and Hermione looked in other directions while Ginny mimicked a puke) And Ginny fights repeatedly with Ron because he wouldn't understand that she was all grown up now, and other boys won't even approach Ginny with Ron within the fifty feet radius. He only person who qualified to be Ginny's Boyfriend according to Ron was Harry and that was only because he was his best friend.

3.) She was there at the Department of Mysteries when THAT happened.
4.) She was the ferocity that Hermione and Luna lack.
5.) She is funny and has a great sense of humour

The reason why Harry likes Ginny was because she had that extra something most girls lacked: the Humour, the Courage and the Trust. Harry isn't attracted to Ginny's attractiveness, popularity or athletic status, he isn't that shallow. Harry fell for Ginny because her flighty and fierce attitude with the warmth that vibrating from her that attracted Harry. And the whole Quidditch set-up was to give a bit of variety. If all the scenes are set at the Common Room or the Library, it gets a bit boring and Magus, even you would have said it lacks interest and has no depth. That's why and plus a part from Quidditch Practise, it will be nearly impossible to see Ginny properly appart from Meal Times as Ginny is in her fifth year, OWL year so she would spend most her time at the library studying. It even says after Ginny and Harry hooked up, their time together was awfully restricted due to Ginny being in another year and her being an OWL student. And many people DID disapprove of Ginny moving through boys at a fast pase. The people who dissapprove include: Mrs Weasley, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Fred and George (although they said it in a comical and funny way!), Tonks and Harry. Tonks only disapproving at the beggining. In the HBP, she was too busy with her own romances to bother with Ginny. See! Ginny is NOT a Mary-Sue!

intergalactic platypus
1st March 2006, 12:38 AM
Of course thats how Harry was written to feel about her. It had been intended from the beginning, and I doubt JK wants to make a rather noble character like Harry to be shallow. However, her sudden wonderfulness as a character makes her come across as sue-like, thats all

cold_katanagirl
1st March 2006, 12:39 AM
I don't recall Hermione being annoyed by Ginny dating other guys. I thought it was only her family and Harry for obvious reasons.

When in the world did Tonks care? o_o

Cloud Strife
3rd April 2006, 11:25 AM
I am bringing this back for one reason. I (the man who until last week still had "millitant harmony shipper" as his user title) have kinda switched sides. It did not happen from reading the books though, no, it happened by watching a music video of "What hurts the most" with Ron Hermione scenes in it. Wow that is weird, but I don't care, those two don't seem at all out of place anymore.

Omega Pirate
3rd April 2006, 11:28 AM
I hate the whole Harry and Ginny thing that went on. It should be Harry and Hermione.

Cloud Strife
3rd April 2006, 11:32 AM
I still hate Mary Sue(sorry, Ginny, keep getting that mixed up somehow :D) , that won't change. I can just be content with Ron Hermione or Harry Hermione now (pretty much the same as the begining, except now I have a slight favorite going the other way, but either would work out) Now for Ginny, I REALLY hope that she dies OR stays away from Harry, either will do, does not matter to me. Give her death meaning if you want, have it make Ron or Harry irate and be able to do an unforgivable curse on whoever they are fighting. I don't care, as long as her and Harry don't end up together.

cold_katanagirl
3rd April 2006, 3:53 PM
I still hate Mary Sue(sorry, Ginny, keep getting that mixed up somehow :D) , that won't change. I can just be content with Ron Hermione or Harry Hermione now (pretty much the same as the begining, except now I have a slight favorite going the other way, but either would work out) Now for Ginny, I REALLY hope that she dies OR stays away from Harry, either will do, does not matter to me. Give her death meaning if you want, have it make Ron or Harry irate and be able to do an unforgivable curse on whoever they are fighting. I don't care, as long as her and Harry don't end up together.Bit selfish, don't you think?

Cloud Strife
3rd April 2006, 9:50 PM
I domn't think so, I didn't say she had to die, I would just say that I would not mind if she did. You have to think of it like Harry and Ginny should have died years earlier anyway, so if Ginny dies, I don't mind.

Yggdrasill-sama
5th April 2006, 3:22 AM
My HP OTP is Crabbe X Goyle. If you ask me, Rowling made it even more obvious than Ron X Hermione =D Hermione X Ginny, Dumbledore X Harry, and Cedric X Harry are cool too, and Bill X Fleur and Hagrid X Madame Maxime are okay. I also like Cho X Harry (unlike Harry X Ginny, it was actually well written and had decent development) and (to some extent) Harry X Hermione.

cold_katanagirl
5th April 2006, 4:17 AM
I domn't think so, I didn't say she had to die, I would just say that I would not mind if she did. You have to think of it like Harry and Ginny should have died years earlier anyway, so if Ginny dies, I don't mind.After all of the stuff that happened in HBP, Ginny had better NOT die. I don't want to have had to deal with Ginny-Monster for nothing. <_<

Though the "We could have had years..." line may make it all worth it. I thought it was funny. :x

Cloud Strife
5th April 2006, 5:16 AM
You would rather keep a monther because of all the stuff it put you through, rather than kill the monster?

STJ
5th April 2006, 12:10 PM
I don't really want any characters to die, but I think that if Ginny and Harry DON'T get back together by the end of it all, then I'll be very happy

Andromache
5th April 2006, 2:32 PM
There actually seems to be more evidence for Harry/Hermione, or maybe it's just that I think Hermione is a better girl for Harry. I agree with STJ that no Harry/Ginny at the end of the series would suit me just fine.

Jo-Jo
5th April 2006, 4:34 PM
If Harry and Ginny both survive (which I imagine they will), it's a guarantee that they'll end up together. Why wouldn't they? They didn't want to break up in the first place; once Voldemort's gone there won't be any more barriers in place.

If either of them dies, though, it'll be Harry rather than Ginny. But I don't expect the series to have a sad ending.

Cloud Strife
5th April 2006, 10:00 PM
If Harry and Ginny both survive (which I imagine they will), it's a guarantee that they'll end up together. Why wouldn't they? They didn't want to break up in the first place; once Voldemort's gone there won't be any more barriers in place.

If either of them dies, though, it'll be Harry rather than Ginny. But I don't expect the series to have a sad ending.

Really, cause JK said more are going to die, so she all ready has a crossfire (am I the only one who thinks Luna is gone) I have got NO impression that we are going to get a "happy" ending. I am not even completely sure that any of the trinity survive, I see them all sacrificing themselves or being killed at some point in the book.

Jo-Jo
5th April 2006, 10:13 PM
It's a good vs. evil fantasy series aimed at children. *shrug* I assumed a happy ending was in the cards.

Ginny surviving seems more than likely because, well, what reason is there to kill her off? Pathos? Developing her as Harry's love interest in book 6 just for that seems daft to me. If JKR wanted to do something like that, she could have used Cho. Or any one of the numerous characters Harry already had an emotional attachment to - Hagrid, for instance, or Neville.

IMO, the whole reason for the H/G breakup in HBP - and possibly part of the reason why JKR chose to develop H/G so quickly - is because the bulk of the Harry/Ginny story is going to focus on them getting back together, rather than on them getting together in the first place. Eh, it's a theory.

Cloud Strife
5th April 2006, 10:56 PM
It's a good vs. evil fantasy series aimed at children. *shrug* I assumed a happy ending was in the cards.

Ginny surviving seems more than likely because, well, what reason is there to kill her off? Pathos? Developing her as Harry's love interest in book 6 just for that seems daft to me. If JKR wanted to do something like that, she could have used Cho. Or any one of the numerous characters Harry already had an emotional attachment to - Hagrid, for instance, or Neville.

IMO, the whole reason for the H/G breakup in HBP - and possibly part of the reason why JKR chose to develop H/G so quickly - is because the bulk of the Harry/Ginny story is going to focus on them getting back together, rather than on them getting together in the first place. Eh, it's a theory.

I think that is what she did actually (not that it will help much, since Harry will die anyway probably). Now, she couldn't do that with Neville, it just would not work, she could have with Hagrid, but I am thinking he is the one character that the fans can't stand to see die, Cho just wouldn't even make sense. I would say Ron or Hermione, but I think they might die anyway so a no go on that. Honestly, I really see NO way that Harry and Ginny live happily ever after, at least one of them is dead next book.

I really think of the 15 main characters

Harry
Ron
Hermione
Ginny
Lupin
Mr. Weasley
Mrs. Weasley
Moody
Snape
Voldemort
Beatrix
Draco
Hagrid
McGonagal
Tonks

That no more than 6 survive, and of the five children, I would say 2 if we are lucky.

Jo-Jo
5th April 2006, 11:08 PM
JKR planned out the entire series before the first book was even published, so the opinions of fans can't possibly have a bearing on who dies. Besides, she killed off Dumbledore, and he's more of a fan-favourite than Hagrid.

If the idea is just to bump off Harry's girlfriend, then Cho would have worked fine. The whole reason for writing Harry/Cho was for Harry to experience a failed relationship; what's the point of giving Harry two love-interests and then letting him end up with neither of them?

IMO, the H/G relationship blatantly exists to give Harry a happy ending. Ginny's tie to the Weasleys will link Harry to them thematically through marriage, thus allowing him to achieve his Mirror of Erised dream.

As for that list, errrr, I suspect more than six people are going to live. JKR's said that she thinks children aged eight and up should be able to read the series. I doubt she'd say that if she had a bloodbath on that scale planned. If any of the Trio die, especially Ron or Hermione, I'll be astonished.

Wolf Goddess
6th April 2006, 1:55 AM
You can have a pretty happy ending without all of the main characters living. :/ Look at the end of LOTR. It really wasn't a sad ending, though for all intensive purposes, Frodo did die. Of course, LOTR is aimed at an older audience than HP. I'm just saying that you can kill characters without making the ending all sad.

I was actually under the impression that all of the romance was shoved into HBP so JKR won't have to put so much focus on it into book seven.

Jo-Jo
6th April 2006, 1:57 AM
I never said no main characters would die, just that more than six would probably live. I still think that the three main characters are likely safe. Ginny, too - most of the Weasleys, in fact.

Magus
6th April 2006, 4:10 AM
Hasn't Rowling also said that she doesn't consider Harry Potter to be a children's series? Also, she hasn't shied away from killing people so far, and each book has been darker than the last. It seems pretty likely to me that at least one person who's close to Harry will die in book 7, if Harry himself doesn't die.

cold_katanagirl
6th April 2006, 4:23 AM
If Ginny dies, then half of HBP was completely pointless. Would Rowling do that? :O

Andromache
6th April 2006, 6:03 AM
I think something's got to happen to the Weasleys. They're such a big family that they're bound to lose people.

As for the ending, I think I'd prefer a somewhat bittersweet ending to a happy one, just because every character in HP is neither good nor evil. Well, perhaps Bella and Wormtail are evil, but Bella I think showed concern for Narcissa, in her own twisted way. Still, Bella's mostly evil. I see no good in Wormtail whatsoever. Besides, this is a war. Wars don't end happily. Of course, I want the good side to win, but I want them to win at a price. Otherwise, it's not realistic.

Cloud Strife
6th April 2006, 9:30 AM
You can have a pretty happy ending without all of the main characters living. :/ Look at the end of LOTR. It really wasn't a sad ending, though for all intensive purposes, Frodo did die. Of course, LOTR is aimed at an older audience than HP. I'm just saying that you can kill characters without making the ending all sad.

I was actually under the impression that all of the romance was shoved into HBP so JKR won't have to put so much focus on it into book seven.

It is intents and purposes. Lots of people get that wrong.
When Frodo "died" it was a epilouge, a long time had passed since the "real" end of the series. It was not like Ring destroyed, Frodo, Gandalf and the Elfs leave one right after the other.

Magus
6th April 2006, 10:11 AM
If Ginny dies, then half of HBP was completely pointless. Would Rowling do that? :O
Why is that? Harry falling for Ginny means that if she died, the impact to him (and by extension the story) would be far greater. In fact, she's now the only character aside from Ron or Hermione whose death could match the emotional impact of Sirius and Dumbledore's deaths.

Jo-Jo
6th April 2006, 2:09 PM
Rowling's said that she didn't set out to write a children's series; however, she believes that anyone aged eight and up should be okay with reading it. That basically amounts to the same thing. She isn't going to kill off the entire cast. A few more casualties are likely, but I don't think there'll be more than two or three 'good guy' deaths in book 7. One Weasley, maybe, possibly Hagrid, and Snape, assuming that he is a good guy. Peter Pettigrew I think might redeem himself, but whether or not he does, he's a goner. The rest I'm not sure about, but I'd put money on Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, Luna, McGonagall, Lupin and Tonks all surviving.

Why is that? Harry falling for Ginny means that if she died, the impact to him (and by extension the story) would be far greater. In fact, she's now the only character aside from Ron or Hermione whose death could match the emotional impact of Sirius and Dumbledore's deaths.
What about Hagrid?

I don't see any point in developing Ginny in the last book just for her to die, myself. If JKR was going to go down the route of killing off Harry's girlfriend, then why couldn't she have used Cho?

Ginny's death wouldn't be comparable to Sirius's or Dumbledore's, btw. Sirius was a link to the past - through him, Harry felt connected to his father. But one of the messages of the books is that it's unhealthy to cling to the past (Dumbledore: "it does not do, Harry, to dwell on dreams and forget to live"). Harry can remember his parents fondly, but he has to come to terms with the fact that they're dead, and he can't be with them. His acceptance into the Weasley family provides him with a means to move on and create his own family. Sirius's death has thematic significance. Ginny's death wouldn't do that, because she is a part of the new family that Harry needs to create. Killing her would be cruelty without meaning.

As for Dumbledore, what fantasy series doesn't bump off the wise old mentor figure? Again, his death had a purpose in Harry's character development. At some point, Harry has to stand alone, without parental figures. Dumbledore and Sirius are in fact similar in that regard - they both took on the role of a protective father to Harry. By removing the people who would shield him from harm, JKR is forcing Harry to become a leader. It's standard fare for a Hero's Journey story.

But again, Ginny dying wouldn't accomplish anything like that. I can't see how the series could have a happy ending if she died, to be honest. She represents Harry's chance for a family, the thing he wants more than anything else. What's more, according to JKR, she's his "ideal girl". He can't move on and find someone else, because for him, there is no-one else. You can't get any better than "ideal". (Not to mention that every other important female character in the series is totally incompatable with Harry, romantically speaking.)

Hmm, I'm waffling now. :p I guess I'm making this argument because I have a feeling that lots of people are setting themselves up for disappointment with book 7. There is of course a chance Ginny could die, like any other character, but assuming that she will die just because you (general 'you') want her to seems rather foolish to me. What's more, convincing yourself that Ginny's death is the only possible good outcome for the series is likely to impede your enjoyment of what ought to be a good book.

Haunt of the Vile
6th April 2006, 2:30 PM
The one and only HP shipping is Harry x Snape. Why? Because it's so OTP and you know it. I know you secretly love this pairing.
IF all this worlds peoples would hate this, there wouldn't be a fanlisting (http://fan.morsmordre.org/s+h/) for it.
You can say you don't like it, you can say you love it, but I'm standing in their side forever. Though, what Snape did in HBP was stupid and I hope that Harry won't kill him in the next book :P.
And if he does... well...uh.

If anyone is interested to chat with me about HxS, drop me a PM ;)

Andromache
6th April 2006, 6:30 PM
I would contend that what Snape did was not so much stupid as a snap decision, or maybe it was pre-arranged. There's evidence for both theories. What choice did he have? There were many witnesses, all of them Death Eaters. Sure, he could have chosen the alternative and not killed DD, but that's not very Slytherin, is it?

For the record, I prefer Snape/Draco for slash.

Cloud Strife
6th April 2006, 9:13 PM
I know this is shipping, but someone else brought it up, so I am going to finish it. The more I have reread the whole book, the more I have come to one conclusion. There is NO WAY that Snape is evil. So much just does not add up, he was told by Dumbledore what to do, Dumbledore knew what was going to happen, which brings me to something less likely, but after reading it enough, very believable. I really don't think that Dumbledore is gone Fawkes flying around like that and then abruptly leaving, the smoke from the White Tomb, the fact tha he was blasted IN THE AIR by the "avada kedrava" Come on, the book was about silent spells, than we get a spell acting differently than normal at the end of that book. How hard would it have been for Snape to shoot a stunner or something. All this comes from one thing though. Airborne. AK just kills you, than you fall, it is instant, there is no flying involved.
To make this relevant to shipping, um, I support no HP slash.

Magus
6th April 2006, 10:35 PM
But again, Ginny dying wouldn't accomplish anything like that. I can't see how the series could have a happy ending if she died, to be honest. She represents Harry's chance for a family, the thing he wants more than anything else. What's more, according to JKR, she's his "ideal girl". He can't move on and find someone else, because for him, there is no-one else. You can't get any better than "ideal".
Harry's a teenage boy. A couple of years ago, he considered Cho his "ideal girl". The idea that there can be no other girl for him if Ginny dies is extreme to say the least. Back in book 4, that's how he'd have felt if Cho had died, but it certainly wouldn't have been true.

Jo-Jo
6th April 2006, 11:09 PM
But JKR's described Ginny as Harry's ideal girl. She was basically tailor-made to be compatable with him. Surely you don't believe he's going to end up with anyone else?

cold_katanagirl
7th April 2006, 12:26 AM
Why is that? Harry falling for Ginny means that if she died, the impact to him (and by extension the story) would be far greater. In fact, she's now the only character aside from Ron or Hermione whose death could match the emotional impact of Sirius and Dumbledore's deaths.It was supposed to be a joke. :x
Harry's a teenage boy. A couple of years ago, he considered Cho his "ideal girl". The idea that there can be no other girl for him if Ginny dies is extreme to say the least. Back in book 4, that's how he'd have felt if Cho had died, but it certainly wouldn't have been true.Ginny was meant to be Harry's match from the beginning, which makes Ginny and Cho completely different. There could possibly be someone else who's compatible for Harry, but as far as know, they don't exist.

People say Harry x Ginny came from out of nowhere, but how bad would it be if he ended up with someone else? If he ended up alone, that really would make half of HBP useless since Harry wanted to get la - I mean Harry's hooking up with Ginny and breaking up fiasco.

And what would be the point of Ginny dying? I don't see it accomplishing anything except for making a couple of of the fans happy.

If Ginny's such a Mary Sue, she'll most likely use the Bat Bogey Hex - I mean her powers to help him out or something.

Magus
7th April 2006, 3:40 AM
But JKR's described Ginny as Harry's ideal girl. She was basically tailor-made to be compatable with him. Surely you don't believe he's going to end up with anyone else?
If Ginny died, or if she and Harry don't get back together for some other reason, there is indeed little chance that another canon pairing will be introduced to replace Harry/Ginny. But who says one is needed? This book will about Harry defeating Voldemort; we don't need to know who if anyone he ends up marrying.

Jo-Jo
7th April 2006, 3:50 AM
JKR's said there'll be an epilogue that tells what happens to the survivors. I got the impression it'd cover things like marriages, or at least pairings, depending how far into the future it stretches.

Even if there are no details given on Harry's fate post-Voldemort, though, I still don't see how any kind of happy ending would work with Ginny dead. She's supposed to be the perfect girl for him. That makes her irreplaceable.

Cloud Strife
7th April 2006, 5:01 AM
And what would be the point of Ginny dying? I don't see it accomplishing anything except for making a couple of of the fans happy.
Um, more than a couple, she seems to have more rabid fans hating her than Voldemort or Snape do.

Even if there are no details given on Harry's fate post-Voldemort, though, I still don't see how any kind of happy ending would work with Ginny dead. She's supposed to be the perfect girl for him. That makes her irreplaceable. ALL Mary Sues are irreplaceable, it is hard to work on perfection. That brings up a good point though, I don't agree with what you said about her needing to live for a happy ending, but there should be viceversa than. IF Harry dies, than it would be pointless to have Mary Sue NOT get killed, at least according to your (weak) reasoning.

Jo-Jo
7th April 2006, 5:14 AM
Um, more than a couple, she seems to have more rabid fans hating her than Voldemort or Snape do.
Well, JKR likes her. So there goes that reasoning.

That brings up a good point though, I don't agree with what you said about her needing to live for a happy ending, but there should be viceversa than. IF Harry dies, than it would be pointless to have Mary Sue NOT get killed, at least according to your (weak) reasoning.
If Harry dies (which I don't seriously expect to happen), then there'd still be no point in killing Ginny, because Harry's chance to create a family for himself - which is what Ginny symbolises - would already be destroyed by Harry being, y'know, dead and all.

cold_katanagirl
8th April 2006, 2:44 AM
Um, more than a couple, she seems to have more rabid fans hating her than Voldemort or Snape do.And? There are a ton of people who like her. It doesn't matter either way, because JK likes her.

Has JK ever listened to what the fans wanted?

Atoyont
8th April 2006, 2:52 AM
I know this is shipping, but someone else brought it up, so I am going to finish it. The more I have reread the whole book, the more I have come to one conclusion. There is NO WAY that Snape is evil. So much just does not add up, he was told by Dumbledore what to do, Dumbledore knew what was going to happen, which brings me to something less likely, but after reading it enough, very believable. I really don't think that Dumbledore is gone Fawkes flying around like that and then abruptly leaving, the smoke from the White Tomb, the fact tha he was blasted IN THE AIR by the "avada kedrava" Come on, the book was about silent spells, than we get a spell acting differently than normal at the end of that book. How hard would it have been for Snape to shoot a stunner or something. All this comes from one thing though. Airborne. AK just kills you, than you fall, it is instant, there is no flying involved.
To make this relevant to shipping, um, I support no HP slash.
1. The light flash was green. (Avada Kedavra)
2. The Full-Body Bind was lifted.
3. Snape would have died, owing to the Unbreakable Vow.

Back on subject. JKR has not listened to the fans, but she has not stated that Harry will die or that he will not. And Ginny is not a Mary Sue; remember in OoP where her leg was broken?

cold_katanagirl
8th April 2006, 2:54 AM
It's more that she appears to not care if people hate Ginny than who's going to die. That's sort of the impression I got from reading an interview, it was like she knew what she was getting herself into.

Diljabar
8th April 2006, 3:26 AM
Personally, I'm a fan of Emma Watson and myself, but that's just me :P

*~Puru-Ryuu~*
8th April 2006, 4:13 AM
Can I support this Shipping?

I like Dobby but that's just me
And 1 question in which book is Snape going to Die??

Cloud Strife
8th April 2006, 5:38 AM
Has JK ever listened to what the fans wanted?

Yeah, she has, it is called the living fan fiction that is the Half Blood Prince. :D.

1. The light flash was green. (Avada Kedavra)
2. The Full-Body Bind was lifted.
3. Snape would have died, owing to the Unbreakable Vow.
1 I did not mean it was a stunner (red) just an example, I am sure there is some other spell that is green.
2 Would you have to die, what if you are knocked out, does it ever say that? Also, he could have just ended the spell. Are we to believe that HE can't do wandless magic.
3 Is a bit more tricky, I read something for it once, but I can't remember what it was.

And Ginny is not a Mary Sue; remember in OoP where her leg was broken? How does that not make her a Mary Sue?

cold_katanagirl
8th April 2006, 6:02 PM
Yeah, she has, it is called the living fan fiction that is the Half Blood Prince. :D.Wouldn't she have stuck Harry and Hermione together then?

I always got the impression that was more popular than Ron x Hermione and especially Harry x Ginny, since people never seemed to care about Ginny in the first place. :x

Cloud Strife
8th April 2006, 8:48 PM
No, Harry Hermione just had more rabid fans (I should know, I was one of them) but Harmony was ALWAYS (at least since the second movie where the scripters apparently like Ron and Hermione) outnumbered about 1.5 to 1.

And if you don't put Harry with Hermione, I guess you had to put him with somebody. And there were all ready alot of (though I think they all liked Ron Hermione) Harry Ginny supporters.

Magus
9th April 2006, 2:09 AM
Yeah, she has, it is called the living fan fiction that is the Half Blood Prince. :D.
Be fair. It was only the Harry/Ginny stuff that read like a fanfic. The Snape and Voldemort backstories were downright brilliant.

Cloud Strife
9th April 2006, 2:16 AM
Yes, the main backstory was incredible. For both of them, and it was rather deep.

Jo-Jo
10th April 2006, 9:05 PM
I wonder how many of those who hated Ginny and H/G had a pre-existing bias against them before reading HBP? A lot of the people I've seen complaining about H/G are hardcore Harry/Hermione or Harry/Luna shippers. And Ginny's been loathed in the fandom for years, since long before OotP came out.

I can partially understand where people are coming from with the Ginny hate, but I can't help suspecting that a LOT of the bashing that gets heaped upon her is simply due to the fact that she's seen as a threat to other ships (look at the way May was treated when AG began for a comparison). I have no doubts that Ginny's character would have gone down much better if so many people hadn't been holding out for Harry to end up with someone else.

Cloud Strife
10th April 2006, 10:16 PM
And Ginny's been loathed in the fandom for years, since long before OotP came out.

^This statement speaks volumes.

The difference between May and Mary Sue (never though I'd write that statement :D) is that May actually grew on people, she was deserving of hate at the begining, but she has shown that she is at the very least not hateworthy (Now her sibling needs to DIE, but that is a whole other thread) and even likeable. Mary Sue however, went from bad (stupid, paranoid, nervous) to MUCH worse (Mary ****** Sue). So though May have been hated because of Pokeshippers, she has relatively little hate now, she earned that. Ginny not so much.

Jo-Jo
10th April 2006, 10:28 PM
^This statement speaks volumes.
Yeah, it speaks volumes about fandomers' lack of tolerance for any character who looks as though she might break up their precious OTP.

How was Ginny a Mary Sue in the beginning of the series? In the first four books she did things like stick her elbow in the butter dish, knock things over, send Harry an awful singing get-well card, and get possessed by an evil overlord. Not exactly what I'd call M-S-like qualities.

As for May, a fairly significant difference between her and Ginny is that Ginny actually did turn out to be the hero's love interest. :D I sometimes suspect that part of the reason the Pokemon writers paired May with Drew might have been to diffuse potential wrath from the segment of their fanbase that cares about such matters as shipping. You can't deny if Advanceshipping had been made canon instead of Contestshipping, there'd be a hell of a lot of people out there screaming for May's blood.

CyberCubed
10th April 2006, 10:36 PM
The difference between May and Mary Sue (never though I'd write that statement :D) is that May actually grew on people, she was deserving of hate at the begining, but she has shown that she is at the very least not hateworthy

Sorry to drive this thread slightly off topic, but May didn't deserve the hate she received when she first entered the show either.

Oh, she's a naive little girl who knows nothing about Pokemon and doesn't know how to battle. That's great, Ash was the same exact way. I see people bashing May for things while she improved a HELL of a lot faster than Ash, for some odd reason.

May grew on people because they eventually got over their "OMG MISTY IS GONE!" shock. She was always a great character, it's just people needed to get over their bias.

cold_katanagirl
11th April 2006, 12:36 AM
How was Ginny a Mary Sue in the beginning of the series? In the first four books she did things like stick her elbow in the butter dish, knock things over, send Harry an awful singing get-well card, and get possessed by an evil overlord. Not exactly what I'd call M-S-like qualities.People complained about Ginny being a Mary Sue before HBP? I thought alot of people believed she became on in HBP. o_o

Cloud Strife
12th April 2006, 10:31 PM
ow was Ginny a Mary Sue in the beginning of the series? In the first four books she did things like stick her elbow in the butter dish, knock things over, send Harry an awful singing get-well card, and get possessed by an evil overlord. Not exactly what I'd call M-S-like qualities.

If you would have read my reply,

Mary Sue however, went from bad (stupid, paranoid, nervous) to MUCH worse (Mary ****** Sue).
I was not saying that she was Mary Sue back than, I am just saying that as her name (i can see how that was confusing) Ginny went from bad to worse would be the correct phrasing.

Sorry to drive this thread slightly off topic, but May didn't deserve the hate she received when she first entered the show either.
Oh, she's a naive little girl who knows nothing about Pokemon and doesn't know how to battle. That's great, Ash was the same exact way. I see people bashing May for things while she improved a HELL of a lot faster than Ash, for some odd reason.

She made a TERRIBLE first impression. She did not LIKE Pokemon at first, that is why I hated her, nothing to do with Misty leaving. I know there had to be some other people like that. Also, her being an Ash clone sucked, when Ash went through it everything was new for us too, when May went through it and I had caught them all on 7 different cartridges and 2 stadiums and 2 puzzles and tooks pictures of the things, you just don't feel like you did with Ash. You know all the stuff, and a main character doesn't, than finally, she did CONTESTS. Most people HATE contests on the games (nothing more annoying) So she was working behind the 8 ball, and I think she deserved the hate early on (maybe not all the vitrol (sp) that she got) but at least some of the hate.

Magus
12th April 2006, 11:53 PM
People complained about Ginny being a Mary Sue before HBP? I thought alot of people believed she became on in HBP. o_o
Actually, it was just that she was fodder for "stealth" Mary Sue fanfics before HBP. Her character traits were largely undefined back then, so fanfic writers could make her as Sue-ish as they wanted and technically wouldn't be contradicting canon. The fanfic writers could then deny all accusations of writing a Sue-fic by pointing out that they were using a canon character, not an OC.

Most of us, though, didn't expect Rowling herself to Sue-ify Ginny.

Atoyont
13th April 2006, 12:08 AM
Is this thread going off topic a little bit? I had to go up 5 posts before I found one HP shipping related.
Anyways, I think that Harry-Ginny is canon; however, why/when did Harry start liking Ginny? Ron-Hermione, however- not so sure about that.

Minako
13th April 2006, 12:31 AM
omggg, people who support RL/SB <33

Moony x Padfoot is my absolute favorite shipping in this fandom [and overall, except for a ship in Pokemon]. It's just too sweet, expecially the wolf/dog thing. :'D Aww. [Though that probably isn't what you'd call a legal -hint-, but it's cute!] And there are alot of possibilities. It could have happened in the past, I think. </geeking>

Uh...Otherwise, I like Moony x Padfoot x Prongs, also. <3 And James x Lily, because it's too adorable. ;0; Canon is good.

Snape x Lucious is something else I like, and I'm not exactly sure why, either. It clicks somehow. D:

Dumbledore x Hagrid is cute to me. HBP was a heartbreaker in that aspect, but I think it only makes it stronger. The loyalty between those two is undeniable. X3 In a twisted, sick way, I also like Snape x Dumbledore. wtf!angstships

For the crackshippings, I like Cedric x Viktor and Hermione x Cho. Switch one person in both of those and I like it too. Fleur x Ron, Fleur x Harry, and Cho x Fleur are intresting. wtf. Cedric x Harry is angsty and all, but in some way, it's cute.

I have no real reasons for my shippings, it seems. o__O

Magus
13th April 2006, 1:29 AM
Anyways, I think that Harry-Ginny is canon; however, why/when did Harry start liking Ginny?
It seems to have just happened out of the blue in HBP, as near as I can tell. He never showed even a slight hint of romantic interest in her previously, and it wasn't until OOTP that he even showed platonic interest. The sudden, unforsahdowed nature of Harry falling for Ginny is a major part of why I thought the pairing's depiction seemed forced and unconvincing. If, as clearly seems to be the case, Rowling intending to pair them all along, she really should have done more to forshadow it on both sides. Showing that one character has a crush but not providing even a single vague hint that the other reciprocates is not sufficient forshadowing of them getting together.

Andromache
13th April 2006, 3:09 AM
Spamming to say I once again agree with Magus. I should just say I think like him/her on the H/G issue and be done with it. Whatever he/she says, I probably agree.

Snape/Lucius? Nice. :D I could kinda see SB/RL, too, but would not go hunting for that ship. Dumbledore should not be shipped with anyone, just like Voldie. Both of them are supposed to be the symbols for the good/bad side, so therefore, should stand alone. I sorta like Snape/Narcissa after HBP, too. And I'm still an SS/MM shipper, even if that one is very close to sunk at this point.

cold_katanagirl
5th May 2006, 2:08 AM
Good, not a month old quite yet...

I remember JK saying a few things about R/Hr and H/Hr long before HBP came out, calling Hermione and Harry platonic friends and things like that. Anyone happen to know the quotes and links to them? Or just the quotes? D:

Jo-Jo
5th May 2006, 3:35 AM
There's an ancient quote from a German magazine that was considered the OBHWF Holy Grail: "Harry ends up with a girl who was introduced in the very first book - but it's not Hermione." Although a few people swear they read this when it first came out, nobody's been able to track it down since, so I'm guessing it's either a mass delusion/rumour or there's a conspiracy afoot.

Other quotes of note are:

"'Do Harry and Hermione have a date?' No, they're very platonic friends. But I won't say the same for someone else, nudge nudge wink wink."

Q: Will Harry and Hermione be together?
A: Do you really think they're suited?

Q: Does Hermione like Ron as more than a friend?
A: The answer to that is in Goblet of Fire!

Q: Is it me, or was something going on between Ron and Hermione in the second half of Goblet of Fire?
A: Yes, something's going on, but Ron doesn't realise. Typical boy.

Katie Couric: And [Harry]'ll be snogging with Hermione?
JKR: *pulls face* Harry and Hermione? Do you really think so?
KC: No, I was just kidding.
JKR: Ron and Hermione, I would say, have - there's more tension there.

[/quote geekage]

*~Puru-Ryuu~*
5th May 2006, 4:10 AM
Thanx for the explenation and if we had to vote for what we think is the right you get my vote for each answer. I just finished reading the whole sereis so far and I agree.