PDA

View Full Version : should fillers be deleted?

RED1992
12th December 2005, 7:37 AM
okay i dunno why i made this thread but i think fillers shouldn't be translated; they just ain't worth watching and that's the only reason pokemon has 400 episodes. if it weren't for those motherf*cking pieces of sh*t it would be more interesting.

Chris
12th December 2005, 8:51 AM
That would mean Jouto would have been reduced HEAVILY. Sometimes filler episodes are good. Namely ones involving love between Pokémon. Those tend to be funny as hell and great. >_>

poke_life
12th December 2005, 1:51 PM
I see no problem with filer episodes, they always include little surprises and funny moments.

MondoTR
12th December 2005, 2:16 PM
So they shouldn't be translated because you don't like them? A lot of people do like them. Some even like them more than gym or contest eps.

DKzM0mA
12th December 2005, 2:25 PM
Fillers are not so bad. In my opinion, and I could be but it's just me, the writers make fillers cause they don't have good ideas for the gym battles/contests yet XD.

Judai Yuki
12th December 2005, 2:42 PM
They make fillers because they have to make an episode to show each pokemon that exists besides Porygon and Porygon2 <.<

Jesse GS the II
12th December 2005, 2:53 PM
Not all filler episodes are as pointless as they seem. Their primary function is to help pace the show properly, so it doesn't get ahead of itself. This is most readily evident in the long string of filler episodes that occured in the first year of the show, between the Sekichiku City and Guren Island gym battles. After that sixth badge, the anime producers realized that the show was a runaway hit, and they were going to be around for a good long while. Thus, they slowed down the pacing in order to not rush to the end too quickly. Furthermore, there are many filler episodes that allow the writers to stretch out and try new characters, revive old characters, or simply focus on the development of one of the main characters. When you watch the show and view it as a continuing soap opera-esque serial, then fillers can get annoying, but if you view it as simply an anime based on a video game, the impact of fillers is altered greatly.

CyberCubed
12th December 2005, 3:19 PM
A lot of fillers (especially AG fillers) are damn good. They're filled with comedy, excellent battle scenes, or great character development.

Just look at the recent Claydol episode, why would you want THAT gone? Or the Sharpedo episode from early Hoenn?

Some fillers in Hoenn are terrible like "Lights Camerupt Action", but thank goodness truly bad fillers like that are a rarity.

Chris
12th December 2005, 3:21 PM
Try a few of the Battle Frontier fillers. >_> Did we REALLY need ANOTHER episode involving Pippi?

Although, as I said, some of the better fillers tend to be comedy gold when they involve Pok&#233;mon falling in love.

CyberCubed
12th December 2005, 3:23 PM
Well they got rid of Misty in that episode, so it wasn't entirely filler. :p

Skitty#300
12th December 2005, 4:03 PM
I think some fillers are REALLY boring, like the episode "Stairway to Devon".
But some are really intresting.But here where i live,our tv-channel which host the Pokemon-program, sometimes jumps over about over 20-30 episodes. And useally they are,for example, all the intresting gym battle/contests-episodes.And i haven`t see movies 5,6 and 7 yet.=(
Fourth movie became to Finland last year...<_<
All after all,i say fillers shouldn`t be deleted.

Dogasu
12th December 2005, 4:14 PM
If it was decided not to dub filler episodes, then who would decide what's filler and what's not? I mean, we know that Gym episodes or pokemon capture episodes aren't filler, but beyond that? Do you think everyone would agree that episodes like "The Bicker the Better" or "Sharpedo Attack!" are filler? Do you think people wouldn't get pissed off if an episode they thought was important got the axe because 4Kids thought it wasn't worth it? Since there is no clear-cut definition of "filler," we'd have a lot of arguments among fans over what's filler and what isn't.

The best thing for 4Kids to do is to just dub every episode they can. Sure, that means we'll get some crappy episodes now and then, but it also means that the truly great episodes (like "Claydol Big and Tall") won't get left behind.

CyberCubed
12th December 2005, 4:19 PM
Not to mention people would be annoyed if a filler episode about their favorite Pokemon is removed. What most fillers do is debut new Pokemon not seen in the anime yet. If they take away so much filler, then there would be over 200+ Pokemon that would have never been shown in the anime.

Some people would never get to see their favorite Pokemon in the show if the fillers about said Pokemon aren't shown.

The Big Al
12th December 2005, 4:23 PM
Many fillers are alright. "Claydol, Big and Tall" and "Once in a Mawile" were brillant (despite 4Kids ruining the final battle in the latter). However, especially in Johto, you got the crap fillers with an easily forgettable guest character and the Team Rocket mech of the day. There's no attempt to develope characters or add humor, it's just showcase the Pokemon of the day. Those we could live without.

However, if they made more brilliant fillers like the first two I mentioned I'd be as happy as a Clampearl. But that's asking a but much from these writers.

MaskedManAbsolkid
12th December 2005, 6:33 PM
If there were no fillers, the characters would probably have most pokemon, the show wouldn't be as popular, the games would probably have to be made quicker or new regions would be made so that something important happens in each episode and there'd be a gym battle, evo or capture each episode which would get boring. Fillers are what they say; they fill the gap between important episodes.

BTW, 'Once in a Mawile' isn't a filler.

The Big Al
12th December 2005, 6:39 PM
The last minute of it is not a filler you mean.

Raziel
12th December 2005, 8:15 PM
Fillers are necessary for the plot to progress, and many of them are interesting and funny. It is trough fillers that we see interesting trainers and pokemon too.

IMO, the anime without fillers would be very boring.

intergalactic platypus
12th December 2005, 9:34 PM
i love the fillers that arent generic. like dont try to tell me that the duplica ep was worthless for example. nothing groundbreaking happened, but it was a great episode with a fun script and a very popular filler character being introduced. other fillers have been great too. the ghost of maidens peak, holiday at acupolo, the ep with the wierd guy who dressed as a zigzagoon *is stupid and forgets name*- give those to me over the pryce gym battle and ill be happy *is shot*

Phantom_Bugsy
12th December 2005, 9:50 PM
His name is Nikolai. :D

I hate the gym battle eps, myself. Unless the gym leader is one like Morty or Brawly and I get eye candy. 83

I love fillers. Love 'em to death. The best characters come from filler eps. Benji, Shingo, Zachary, Bucky, Brad Van Darn...yes.

Maybe you should be deleted instead D:

PlusleMinun
13th December 2005, 3:27 AM
I'll admit that fillers are pretty boring but sometimes they're funny and they also alot of times introduce new PKMN. One reason why they should not not translate fillers is because it would be like picking and choosing days of your life and deleting them each episode is a day in Ash's life so we have to see all of them just like you have to (unfortunately) live every single day of your life

Lil Brother
13th December 2005, 3:59 AM
Yada, yada.What would life be without Bugsy?

(Yes, I stole that idea from soemwhere. <.< )

Yeah, yeah, no episodes should be skipped. 'cept Porygon ep, of course. :o But even then they could have remade it to get rid of those pesky lights. Darn you, Japanese gov't.

Eternal Eievui
13th December 2005, 4:06 AM
You can't delete something just because you don't like it or it isn't interesting. If that were true, I would delete you.

Yamato-san
13th December 2005, 2:05 PM
I agree that 4kids shouldn't skip over any episodes.... as a person who had to wait years before finally seeing the Safari Zone episode with Hakuryuu, I understand how everyone would feel to know about their favorite Pokemon making an appearance, but not being able to because the episode wasn't dubbed in English. However, when it comes to episodes that the writers make.... you know, pre-production material.... the fans wouldn't even know if their favorite Pokemon was going to appear but didn't, because such info's not even released in neither Japan nor the rest of the world.... yeah, we could stand to have less fillers there.

I'm pretty sure several of us can agree that we could've done without some of the beginning of the Battle Frontier.... sure, it's picking up now, but it started out as crap, and instead of producing this crap, they could've focused on.... oh..... the league? Yeah, now's probably the time to move on from that, but still, such an important event, and it's horribly rushed. I didn't want to sacrifice that just to see a filler about Sweet Honey Koduck-chan proving to be the second biggest cheapa** in the entire series (you know who the first one is... both water-types, incidentally). Every episode counts when it comes to leagues, and in this case, there was just no excuse to rush as the Diamond/Pearl games were delayed. There are several other things that could've stand to use more fleshing out.... hell, I bet we all would've loved to see a mini-arc back in Jouto that could finally reveal what the hell that GS Ball was for, or perhaps Satoshi participating in the Battle Tower, or something else besides the numerous amounts of dull, repetitive fillers that saga had (several of which featured Pokemon that were already showcased anyway, or Pokemon that would be showcased later on in a much better situation, like Hellger being used in the league after its poor excuse for a debut).

The Big Al
13th December 2005, 2:50 PM
The "yada yada" is a Jason Alexander line.

Actually, I know this will piss off P_B to no end but that makes it even better to say, I didn't like many of the filler characters. Especially trainer x has Pokemon y who can('t) do z. It was fine with Duplica because she was the first but Johto had more of these than gym battle episodes. It got old.

I can remember most of the filler characters in Kanto because they were unique or at least funny. Yet beyond the Kimono Sisters (who technically aren't even filler characters) and the girl who was after Brock I only know a couple of the random characters of the day by name and a few more by their looks. The same with Hoenn. I see why as that all the filler characters except a few seem to meld together into this generic trainer (male or female) that the main characters have guest star almos every episode.

Geki
14th December 2005, 2:01 AM
Why the hell would you say that fillers shouldn't be traslated?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!? The anime NEEDS filler, in fact, every anime does. And believe it or not, I actually enjoy fillers, I just hated the Johto ones. At least the old Kanto and newer Hoenn ones have an interesting plot.

Dogasu
14th December 2005, 3:31 PM
I agree that 4kids shouldn't skip over any episodes.... as a person who had to wait years before finally seeing the Safari Zone episode with Hakuryuu, I understand how everyone would feel to know about their favorite Pokemon making an appearance, but not being able to because the episode wasn't dubbed in English.

Exactly. Everyone wants to see "The Legend of Miniryuu" and "The Ice Cave" because they're banned, even though both episodes are just "worthless fillers." If more fillers were "banned," fans would still want to see them just because they weren't translated.

intergalactic platypus
14th December 2005, 4:00 PM
Exactly. Everyone wants to see "The Legend of Miniryuu" and "The Ice Cave" because they're banned, even though both episodes are just "worthless fillers." If more fillers were "banned," fans would still want to see them just because they weren't translated.
legend of dratini has an actual event and wasnt a filler actually. it explains that all those tauros came from somewhere. on the dub one would think something like they fell out of the sky....but the porygon ep and the ice cave and even holiday at acupolo were filler eps

Dogasu
14th December 2005, 4:07 PM
Whoops. I meant to put "Electric Soldier Porygon" instead of "The Legend of Miniryuu."

CyberCubed
14th December 2005, 5:03 PM
The Ice Cave was a pretty good episode now that I've seen it. Seriously, Brock trying to kiss Jynx thinking she's Nurse Joy is one of the most hilarious moments in the Pokemon anime. :D

Chris
14th December 2005, 5:25 PM
That was about the only redeeming quality of the episode. >_> Aside from that, it was your standard boring Jouto filler.

The Big Al
14th December 2005, 6:35 PM
I guess it further proves the point that banning something makes it into an instant classic, even when it really stinks.

Chris
14th December 2005, 6:38 PM
Unfortunately for ET, the Atari game, such logic doesn't work for it. :P

Yamato-san
14th December 2005, 9:44 PM
That was about the only redeeming quality of the episode. >_> Aside from that, it was your standard boring Jouto filler.

I don't know.... I loved seeing Arbok really whoop a** for once, and brutally doing so to a human, as well as another Pokemon, at that.

AMiller
15th December 2005, 3:06 AM
I don't think they should be removed. They help everyone see more of the characters, and some of the stories with the Pokemon are entertaining and funny.

Torchic23
15th December 2005, 3:10 AM
fillers are cool cause it gives you a chance to see an ignored pokemon appear. Plus they usally make good eps. so I see no problems

RED1992
15th December 2005, 3:44 AM
If there were no fillers, the characters would probably have most pokemon, the show wouldn't be as popular, the games would probably have to be made quicker or new regions would be made so that something important happens in each episode and there'd be a gym battle, evo or capture each episode which would get boring. Fillers are what they say; they fill the gap between important episodes.

BTW, 'Once in a Mawile' isn't a filler.
i wouldnt have a problem with that, because i got tired of catching 200 pidgeys so i can take all my ru/sa pokemon and trasferring them tomy fr, then buying emerald and putting them in thre. i really want to get diamond soon.

RED1992
15th December 2005, 3:48 AM
I'll admit that fillers are pretty boring but sometimes they're funny and they also alot of times introduce new PKMN. One reason why they should not not translate fillers is because it would be like picking and choosing days of your life and deleting them each episode is a day in Ash's life so we have to see all of them just like you have to (unfortunately) live every single day of your life
ash is a loser, and his pokemon, despite having been on this tedious journey for like 50000000 years, are still ****ing weak.

Ketsuban
15th December 2005, 3:50 AM
If 4Kids didn't translate the filler, they'd overtake the Japanese episodes and we'd have to wait even longer for translations.

PDL
15th December 2005, 4:06 AM
ash is a loser, and his pokemon, despite having been on this tedious journey for like 50000000 years, are still ****ing weak.

and I'm very sure that you have pokemon that can beat his right :rolleyes:

just shut up and go away

CyberCubed
15th December 2005, 4:09 AM

Is that all you come to the anime section for? To bash Ash and say that he sucks? That's all you've done each time you posted in the anime section.

Seriously, go back to the Manga forum where you belong and don't bring your ignorance over here.

Dogasu
15th December 2005, 5:28 AM
RED1992, make any more character-bashing posts like that and you'll get a one-week ban.

Satoshi
17th December 2005, 12:50 AM
The anime *needs* fillers to fill in the gaps between important episodes (gyms, leagues, etc.). Most animes are like that, actually.

i wouldnt have a problem with that, because i got tired of catching 200 pidgeys so i can take all my ru/sa pokemon and trasferring them tomy fr, then buying emerald and putting them in thre. i really want to get diamond soon.
Yes, you'll get it soon, but it will be HORRIBLY rushed. If it wasn't for the "crappy" fillers, your precious handheld games wouldn't obtain the great subtances they have. >_>

Oh yeah. Winning over 500 battles in the whole series really makes them weaklings. Why don't you STFU and go back to the cave you came from.

You know, if you don't like the anime, then why do you care if it has crappy fillers or not?

Triforce007
19th December 2005, 11:40 PM
I think that the filler episodes that indroduce new pokemon never seen in the anime or fillers that help develop a character's character, huh? ;p Only the ones that have no point what so ever.

Kabuto
20th December 2005, 12:26 AM
Fillers are absolutely useless. They introduce a pokemon, Team Rocket tries to steal it the end. That is the summary of 7/8 of the fillers we get. Unfortunately, the show has nothing else to put where the fillers are. And like somebody said some peoples favorite pokemon won't get introduced. The solution get rid of Team Rocket. They've been useless since Johto and their jokes aren't even funny anymore. Of course, the writers can't get rid of them because they have too many fans. They need to limit them to once every ten episodes. Focus on other villains, like bandits, pirates, ninjas, or maybe even miror b lmao.

cold_katanagirl
20th December 2005, 12:53 AM
Oh no, we need fillers every once in awhile. Seeing a gym badge/contest/capture/evolution/whatever would drive me insane after awhile. You can't just delete them, and some of them are good (there are some crap ones though).

Pointless episodes having nothing to do with the plot make the world go round. The world not going around would be sad. D: