PDA

View Full Version : Do you try to get to your plot fast?

Willow's Tara
16th December 2005, 2:54 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering, do you guys try to rush the plot of your story to well the plot or do you stall before it for more then 10 pages?
I do that, not on purpose but I don't want to lose the idea min my head and I get excited so I want to get to that new plot and rush a little. But also try to make the story good, like not get to the plot in the next pargragh.

Or when you start in a fic, is it already in a plot?

So discuss and talk.

Avenger Angel
16th December 2005, 2:59 AM
Whenever you start a story, it really should already be in the exposition. I don't see why anyone would need to "stall" before they actually get into the thick of it, unless you're writing something like a prologue. Even though, your beginning exposition can be in the middle of a fierce battle...

I guess you're talking more about the main conflict. And I highly don't suggest rushing to that too quickly. Take your time with the exposition, that's something that shouldn't be rushed. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

Willow's Tara
16th December 2005, 3:04 AM
Yeah, I wasn't sure what to use so i just said stalling.
Good point, execpt in my story I describe my characters, and you know who's togther who's not, like in Dreams by Attractions you met the characters the first thing.

In Touched- It gets right to the plot and you also meet the characters along the way and who they mean to each other.

.Person.
16th December 2005, 3:13 AM
I'v tryed to make a story. I wate fore them to come in my bizzar dreams!

Ledian_X
16th December 2005, 3:18 AM
My story's plot was in motion before the first chapter of my story. But, in Chapter 3 things really starting to pick up. I needed to introduce everyone and start these subplots,first:

Aquita and Mateo's relationship
Manta and Jenna's relationship
Shrall's homesickness
Everyone else's characters.

Once the team had been introduced, it was time to start the plot in Chapter 3 by creating an event that would plague the Starbolts throughout the story. The death of Manta, Shrall and Aquita's father at the hands of Terra Nova.

I originally called for an organization that hated superpowered people and aliens. So, what better way to make a name for yourself than regicide? So, the plot was easy to make after that. It only took me a bit (Three chapters) because I needed to introduce the team and their themes.

Terra Nova as gonna kill King Sirak somehow. So, I tied it with Jenna's ex, creating a subplot there. Slowly but surely, that lead to different themes with the group. I even had some themes in chapter one starting. There's many things going on in the story. I don't want to explain and spoil it all. You'd have to read it yourselves.

LX

Keleri
16th December 2005, 7:09 AM
I try to let it out bit by bit as the story progresses... enough to keep people interested, but not so much that it's obvious what's going to happen: I like stories where there's a significant lead-up to what's really going on, they keep me interested liek whoah and I tend to burn through several hundred pages in a few hours...

It depends on the length of your 'fic, though--if it's just a few chapters long, then the reader should probably have a good inkling of what's going on by the first chapter... or not. Depends on what you're trying to achieve, as well. So... uh... GO WITH WHATEVER FEELS RIGHT, zomg. *nice-guy pose*

Dragonfree
16th December 2005, 7:22 AM
Somehow my fics always end up having a reeeeeeally slow start. Evil things.

Ash_Junior
16th December 2005, 7:41 AM
same here, Dragonfree.

but by the third chapter, they're usually going strong.

'course, that's 30 pages into it, usually....:D

Elemental Charizam
17th December 2005, 3:54 PM
The first part of the story hangs around for a while in my fics usually. Most of the action is away from the main characters early on, and we don't see how it effects them for a while.

Though the trrigger comes late, there's usually plenty going on after its been triggered :D

The reason for this? Well, characters are rarely ready for anything without dying at first, so they need toughening up, plus it gives time for basic establishing of characters before the pressures on. I find that makes their behaviour when the heat is on much more interesting.

Lady Myuu
17th December 2005, 4:49 PM
I stalled the plot for one of my fics, threw in a sub plot and everything... didn't really work, lost interested, HATED the new characters I created for and ect.

My new fic is only going to be five chapters o.O its a woozy of a thing to write but oh I love how it flows @.@ jumps right into the plot with out giving away to much mystery.

So yeah I like to be in the plot but not at the same time :P

Jetx
17th December 2005, 4:52 PM
Yes. I do, I haven't yet got to the plot on Shroomy's adventures and Claxia'll be a while. So my answer's yes :)

Guitar dude bill
17th December 2005, 5:01 PM
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Claxia does have a plot. The plot of Claxia is some girl is hearing signs. The plot is the basic storyline.
Personally. I like to start off with a small plot and develop it to a big plot. But I get into the main plot pretty quick. The plot of Cerinia will develop.

Jetx
17th December 2005, 5:13 PM
No the actual Claxia plot is: (this may be a spoiler) When they enter Claxia

Guitar dude bill
17th December 2005, 5:50 PM
That means the plot develops. Like I said I'd do mine. It ain't rare. Sometimes they do it when without noticing