PDA

View Full Version : The Fourth Wall and Fics.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
16th December 2005, 9:13 PM
I'm sitting here, looking at Chapter 10, and I saw that Ive broken the fourth wall a few times. I started thinking 'Is there a Limit to breaking the fourth wall, or should it not be broken at all?'

What do you think?

Zerodius
16th December 2005, 9:22 PM
It vary on the story.

In humoristic fics, breaking the fourth wall is a powerful tool... especially when only one or two characters are aware of it.

It can also be used in serious fics as well... but then, one has to be EXTREMELY careful at how it is used. The only serious fic I broke the fourth wall was Chronicles of Darkness and even then, the moments when I did were so few and far between that it people could totally ignore those moments.

Well, that's my opinion.

IceKing
16th December 2005, 9:29 PM
I feel stupid, what's the fourth wall XD?

Edit: Thanks Dilasc! I cross the Fourth Wall a lot in my fics, especially my old parody fic, Wanzewald Pokemon Contest. As everyone has been saying, if your fic is humorous and has a very light tone, then the fourth wall is good but still its best not to overdo it.

Dilasc
16th December 2005, 9:33 PM
The 4th wall is basically where your characters know they're being watched by an audience.

Basically, it should be reserved for only the funniest of moments, or simply for parody or humor fics. If not, then you've got a bad story that's not going to make much sense.

Burnt Flower
16th December 2005, 9:45 PM
Hmm, I never broke the fourth wall. I think breaking it wouldn't work for dark/horror stories unless it's done extremely well.

PDL
16th December 2005, 10:18 PM
breaking the forth wall... I've avoided doing that in my fics because in my experience, too much of it and the fic deteriorates into absolute random crap

Bu†cH
16th December 2005, 10:40 PM
I don't break the fourth wall for serious (drama/action/adventure/etc.) stories.

Here's some advice: Breaking the fourth wall works best in a true story.

Dragonfree
17th December 2005, 12:14 AM
Heh... I know what the fourth wall is, but I've never actually heard what the first three are. x3

Anyway, I've never broken it myself, unless you count Life of a Character, where they know they are characters in stories but that's what the whole thing is about.

Dilasc
17th December 2005, 12:39 AM
I've never actually heard what the first three are.

They the back wall, the right side of the screen and the left side of the screen, the fourth wall would be the screen itself. Basically, you just think of it as a box or a televsion with one wall as a one way viewing where you can see in, but they inside cannot see out. When this is broken, they can see out. The other three walls are entirely indestructable, and serve on the purpose of being the background we see. So... basically, the first three walls are the story, or at least the picture in our mind, if I'm not mistaken.

Faerie
17th December 2005, 12:39 AM
I never really cross the fourth wall in any of my fics. It's really something I hate to do, as it can ruin the mood for more serious stories like mine and make it seem silly. Some people do that, but I really don't. I don't write comedy, and those are really the only fics where crossing the fourth wall is accepted and works well.

+Chaos Blade+
17th December 2005, 2:44 AM
I've only crossed the fourth wall once, in one of my first fics, not even posted here on SPPf [because I didn't know about it]. It was okay, but, I overdid it so much, I overkilled it.

Kiyohime
17th December 2005, 6:36 AM
I made the fourth wall explode with my first attempt at a comedy parody. Anyone remember "Another Disgustingly Typical Journey?" Yeah, that one. XD I had those narrator-thingys make snide comments on the story itself throughout the story. o.o;;

Negrek
17th December 2005, 6:49 AM
I break the fourth wall a bit in my parody Here We Go Again for humorous purposes. In addition, I like to break the "fifth wall," if you will--some of the characters know that they are in a fanfiction and will make snide comments about the author.