PDA

View Full Version : Ashs Rival

Kabuto
17th December 2005, 9:55 PM
Is it just me or does Ash need a new rival desperately. He has nobody to compete with in AG Except Masamune and Tetsuya but they don't count May already has 2 rivals ( Harley and Drew ). It would be great to see Gary return but I'm afraid hes written out of the show permenantly. This is my 1st thread so tell me if I made errors. Your thoughts?

PDL
17th December 2005, 10:25 PM
why would Ash need a rivial in the first place? we only really saw Gary only a few times during the first 5 seasons of pokemon...

FabuVinny
17th December 2005, 10:28 PM
Gary may only have appeared rarely, but Ash was always focussed on doing better than him. With Hoenn, he doesn't really have anyone like that. Tetsuya and Masmune are just like Ritchie or Harrison of previous leagues. They don't keep Ash going through the region.

CyberCubed
17th December 2005, 11:52 PM
Ash doesn't need a new rival.

IMO rivals are only for newbie trainers to work hard and strive to beat. (Ash had Gary and May had Drew).

After all with some arrogant kid making fun of you and gloating how they're better, you'll be more determined to train and hard and do even better.

Ash now doesn't really need a new rival, his Pokemon are trained and they evolve. There's no point.

Kabuto
18th December 2005, 12:09 AM
Yea you make a good point. I guess Team Rocket is Ashs only rival now >__>

Rex Kamex
18th December 2005, 12:12 AM
Yea you make a good point. I guess Team Rocket is Ashs only rival now >__>

But they can't be rivals because Ash always beats them and they don't really make any worthy rivals to begin with.

EDIT: Speaking of rivals, though, the second opening Rival is a pretty catchy song.

Geki
18th December 2005, 4:01 AM
Ash needs a good rival.

Satoshi
18th December 2005, 4:53 AM
Ash needs a rival. Not for specific reasons, just for comic relief.

The sign thing in the first episodes was friggin hilarious :/

Jo-Jo
18th December 2005, 5:07 AM
Ash could do with a rival, I think. It'd make things more interesting. It wouldn't even need to be a childish, name-calling sort of rivalry, like Ash and Gary's; just so long as he has some sort of permanent, secondary goal. But perhaps the writers figured May vs. Drew would tide us over on that front. Still, one of the problems I have with AG is that Ash is so calm and hardly ever gets riled up or loses his cool like he did in past seasons. With both Gary and Misty gone, he has no-one left to argue with. Sigh.

Kabuto
18th December 2005, 5:50 AM
Its definitely wasted potential. However im not surprised.

CyberCubed
18th December 2005, 6:41 AM
How is it wasted potential when there is no demand for it? I would have liked Masamune to stick around for the Kanto saga, but I'm not going to cry over it.

Kabuto
19th December 2005, 12:55 AM
Wally would've been a great rival perhaps even better than Brendan. Its funny how in the game your pupil becomes your rival. And we could've seen some more of Gardevoir. But as of Brendan, Wallys time has past.

xXFallenButterflyXx
22nd December 2005, 12:38 AM
Ash definately needs a rival, a rival that ACTS like a rival. I'm tired of seeing some people saying that Drew is a Gary clone when the only thing they have in common is that they both insult their rivals. Gary, IMO, was more of a rival then Drew is. I mean, what kind of rival gives your Pokemon roses? Also, Gary insulted Ash in almost every way he could (The "Gary was here, Ash is a loser" writing on the sign part) where Drew merely insults May when he sees her. I can't help but wonder if Ash forgot about Gary... the only part he was mention is in that Advance episode about the movies they saw and that was it. Not even Professor Oak mentions his grandson. =|

~;173; Fallen

intergalactic platypus
22nd December 2005, 12:42 AM
drew isnt that mean to may, particularly at this point. not as bad as gary was at least. i dont see how he fills garys gap since him and may got pretty friendly relatively quickly. ash and gary hated each other for a reigon; may and drew got to be friends fairly quickly. i like drew a lot, i just wish a nastier rival could show up. thats what i like about harley; hes a true bad guy like gary was. i think ash could use one too since he never gets mad anymore