PDA

View Full Version : Does Pokemon Ranger Help or Hurt the Pokemon Name?

Chilled2m7
18th December 2005, 6:25 AM
I think the title sums it up quite nicely. These games are radical departures from the normal Pokemon hand-held. Alot of fans of the series are starting to tire of the "gotta catch em all" type of game where you also have to get badges from gym. It's entirely possible that this game could really draw in alot of people who are interested in a possible "new" adventure in the Pokemon world.
Then again, these games could possibly be viewed as "filler" games that are a waste of time and not worth the money. This could lead fans away from pokemon and thus no longer buy the merchandise as a result of these failed games.
What do you think?

Kez
18th December 2005, 10:19 AM
I think that they help the series because it shows that there are not only pokemon trainers in the world, and it just expandes the pokemon universe and attreacts more fans. That is my opinion anyway.

Jash Thor
18th December 2005, 4:40 PM
Pokemon ranger definitely looks to be an interesting installment into the franchise, and can't say that it "hurts" the series. In fact, I think it's a good foreshadowing of what to expect come Diamond and Pearl. Just seeing the new section added about the obstacles on the front page made me wonder if this is the kind of stuff we can expect come D/P.

Samayowa
18th December 2005, 5:03 PM
I think that it'll help the franchise a lot, because it's different then any other pokemon game out right now and people tend to get tired of the "Gotta Catch'em All!" concept and would like something fresh such as Pokemon Ranger.

Angelic Elf Ivy
18th December 2005, 6:04 PM
I don't think the Pokemon Rangers would hurt it at all! I know for sure that I'm interested (just have to look at my avvy to see that) and that I'd by one of the games for it. I mean who really wants to take part in the same old game where your goal is to get all of the Pokemon Badges, all the Pokmeon, and a few extras such as in R/S/E games with the contests and such. Anyway, it's a new prospective of Pokemon that will probably atract many buyers and not hurt the Pokemon name.

*~*Ivy*~*

Angel-FoX-crescent
18th December 2005, 6:59 PM
I don't think the Pokemon Rangers would hurt it at all! I know for sure that I'm interested (just have to look at my avvy to see that) and that I'd by one of the games for it. I mean who really wants to take part in the same old game where your goal is to get all of the Pokemon Badges, all the Pokmeon, and a few extras such as in R/S/E games with the contests and such. Anyway, it's a new prospective of Pokemon that will probably atract many buyers and not hurt the Pokemon name.

*~*Ivy*~*

I'm not sure what to think of poke rangers at the moment but I might grow to like it. Who knows.

Chilled2m7
19th December 2005, 5:03 AM

*~*Ivy*~*

The reason Pokemon got so popular was as a result of this simple, yet highly addicting formula. Iv'e looked into ranger a bit (as in reading the info on Serebii) and it seems to be a vast departure from this formula. The series has had some hits and misses when attempting to diverge from the original formula. For instance, Pokemon Pinball (R/S) was a pretty big hit while games such as "Hey you Pikachu!" failed miserably.

TOY MACHINE
19th December 2005, 5:37 AM
most of the spin offs well... suck this seems like a game the kids can play to wait for diamond and pearl to come out

Infinite Master Sceptile
19th December 2005, 9:46 AM
I really don't like it. I don't think it will catch on. The whole "Capture Stylus" thingybob is freaky. It's like a mind control device. Ugh.

MaskedManAbsolkid
21st December 2005, 12:13 PM
I really don't like it. I don't think it will catch on. The whole "Capture Stylus" thingybob is freaky. It's like a mind control device. Ugh.

It IS a mind-control device. You use it to control the pokemon.

I think it'll help the franchise. People say it'll kill Pokemon, but other failed games didn't kill it, did they?

Gravy
21st December 2005, 12:30 PM
Bah, I dislike how 'filler games' are branded as a waste of money, just because they're not the main RPG adventures.
Mysterious Dungeon, both Pinball games and the TCG game are all great fun to play. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Snap on the other hand was a pretty good concept, but it was let down by the lack of difficulty and the limited amount of things to do.

I'm not sure how I feel about Ranger at the moment though, as information about how the game works and what tasks have to be fullfilled is rather limited. But I'm open to the idea of new concepts in the pokémon world, because the series has so much potential. We have well over 300 characters here, so using them in multiple scenarios is a lot more interesting then simply going along the same battle > capture > train > fight Gym route constantly.

Raichu
22nd December 2005, 7:43 PM
I really like the concept of Pokemon Ranger. It's more unique than most of what you see in the Pokémon franchise nowadays, and I think it'll be a nice little refresher. Though I doubt it will be held in as high regards as the original games, I still think it's going to be successful.

bob799
23rd December 2005, 12:21 AM
funny thing is, once i was thinking of designing a game called pokemon ranger. And it turns out this pokemon ranger is a lot like theo ne i thought up 5 years ago. Im sure it will help the series.

mew183
23rd December 2005, 1:37 AM
click here find out>COOL (http://www.tagged.com/welcome.html?aa=4m786&a=1)

JazzJazz
23rd December 2005, 1:56 AM
I really like the concept of Pokemon Ranger. It's more unique than most of what you see in the Pokémon franchise nowadays, and I think it'll be a nice little refresher. Though I doubt it will be held in as high regards as the original games, I still think it's going to be successful.

I'm pretty much on the same page as you... I enjoy Pokemon in all of its forms, but the "spin-offs" will never match up to the original style of games.

Linoone
23rd December 2005, 1:58 AM
help, I think it's nice to see that the franchise is making some innovations, and most likely will attract more fans with the new game style*faints*

Naraku_Diabolos
27th December 2005, 8:15 PM
I think it'll help the franchise. People say it'll kill Pokemon, but other failed games didn't kill it, did they?

Well, I do remember in an article on Xbox.Ign.com said that they wanted to make an anti-Pikachu game on Xbox so that they could chase it around and shoot it to death. That was when Pokemon Channel was released and Xbox.Ign.com was making fun of it.

ghost master
28th December 2005, 7:03 PM
I will treat this as I did with other installments like R/S/E, G/S/C. I'll have different expectations though. Unlike the other spin offs Game freak is actually making it. The other spin offs I felt differently about but, this is Gamefreak's own franchise so I have higher expectations from them.

JazzJazz
28th December 2005, 8:32 PM
Unlike the other spin offs Game freak is actually making it. The other spin offs I felt differently about but, this is Gamefreak's own franchise so I have higher expectations from them.

If nothing else, this should ensure quality and adherence to the way that the Pokemon world has been established in the RPG games.

intergalactic platypus
28th December 2005, 10:02 PM
i think it does neither. the franchise can only be dealt a very severe blow by the main series or to a lesser extent the RPGs, so the side games like this arent as much of a gamble. still, i think its a creative idea for a pokemon game

indigestible_wad
28th December 2005, 11:36 PM
Pokemon is copyright nintendo. Any other system that makes a game based upon it will be violating any copyright laws and therefore is liable for suing.

As for pokemon ranger, I don't know much about it and am too lazy to look at anything about it, but from what I've heard, it looks interesting enough.

JazzJazz
28th December 2005, 11:40 PM
Pokemon is copyright nintendo. Any other system that makes a game based upon it will be violating any copyright laws and therefore is liable for suing.

Of course, that's obvious... but what prompted you to bring it up?

indigestible_wad
28th December 2005, 11:47 PM
This post. I should have quoted it.

Well, I do remember in an article on Xbox.Ign.com said that they wanted to make an anti-Pikachu game on Xbox so that they could chase it around and shoot it to death. That was when Pokemon Channel was released and Xbox.Ign.com was making fun of it.

AdvanceX
29th December 2005, 3:14 PM
I'll most likely'll get the game anyways.

The Power of Pika
30th December 2005, 10:43 AM
I think Pokemon Ranger is an interesting idea. If it's successful it'll attract more. If it's not then it won't hurt the Pokemon name. One person on the other forum said that after playing Pokemon Dash he has learned never to buy Pokemon games that don't have a colour/metal or whatever written afterwards. So it won't hurt the main franchise. Though it will hurt any other side games of Pokemon in the future. Though I think that damage has already been done with Pokemon Dash but it is repairable if you can convince people to give one more chance.

JazzJazz
30th December 2005, 8:53 PM
Though I think that damage has already been done with Pokemon Dash but it is repairable if you can convince people to give one more chance.

I'd put Pokemon Dash out of my mind (thanks God I didn't buy it)... but you bringing it up reminds me that, whatever Pokemon Ranger turns out to be, it can't possibly be any worse than Pokemon Dash.

Glowstick_cult
31st December 2005, 11:47 AM
I must admit, Ranger has me intrigued. I'm buying it for sure, but it's only out of sheer curiosity.

ŁańkaŃ
31st December 2005, 1:19 PM
It's something new..and much is expected...i like it..all

besides...the way the capture style works...it remind u of Beyblade...

which i never really liked..at all

JazzJazz
31st December 2005, 8:46 PM
besides...the way the capture style works...it remind u of Beyblade...

which i never really liked..at all

You should let your distaste for Beyblade get in the way of you possibly enjoying a Pokemon game... wait and see what Ranger is like before you rule it out because of the new gameplay mechanic.

Chilled2m7
4th January 2006, 7:15 AM
So it won't hurt the main franchise. Though it will hurt any other side games of Pokemon in the future. Though I think that damage has already been done with Pokemon Dash but it is repairable if you can convince people to give one more chance.

Ah, Isn't that the story of the Pokemon franchise... "just give it one more chance".. How much crap do we have to sift through in order to get a real game for God's sake. I have no desire to play "Pokemon Dash", or "Pokemon Torezei" or any other filler games that are poorly made.

a serious rpg like D/P will be the ONLY Pokemon game I get.

Serebii
4th January 2006, 10:28 AM
Im sorry, have you played Trozei? No then don't bloody judge it

Just because they arent the main games does not mean they are not any good. Lets look at spin offs shall we

Snap - Good & Relaxing...bit short
Puzzle Challenge & Puzzle League - Excellent Puzzle Games
TCG - A Very Good Game
Pinball & Pinball RS - Both Really Good Games
Stadium 1 & 2 - Not Main Games...still very good
Hey You, Pikachu - Ok this one was crap
Dash - Alright for the first few mins but crap
Trozei - A Good Different kind of puzzle game
Channel - Another relaxing game...like marmite...either love or hate
Mysterious Dungeon - A Set of excellent games bringing something different to the Pokémon Franchise

The good outweigh the bad so no Ranger doesnt hurt the franchise at all and from the looks of things is set to be a full RPG game just of a different style...why the hell does that make it bad, are you that afraid of different things?

They have had Genius Sonority, Ambrella & Hal to help make the spin-off games recently so that they have the opportunity to focus on DP mainly and still have good things coming out in the big gap

If you dont want to get them then fine, just dont be moaning that Nintendo & Gamefreak are putting lots of effort into DP to actually MAKE IT GOOD. WHat would you bloody rather, a very good game out a bit late or a **** game out now?

Chilled2m7
4th January 2006, 5:25 PM
Im sorry, have you played Trozei? No then don't bloody judge it

Just because they arent the main games does not mean they are not any good. Lets look at spin offs shall we

Snap - Good & Relaxing...bit short
Puzzle Challenge & Puzzle League - Excellent Puzzle Games
TCG - A Very Good Game
Pinball & Pinball RS - Both Really Good Games
Stadium 1 & 2 - Not Main Games...still very good
Hey You, Pikachu - Ok this one was crap
Dash - Alright for the first few mins but crap
Trozei - A Good Different kind of puzzle game
Channel - Another relaxing game...like marmite...either love or hate
Mysterious Dungeon - A Set of excellent games bringing something different to the Pokémon Franchise

The good outweigh the bad so no Ranger doesnt hurt the franchise at all and from the looks of things is set to be a full RPG game just of a different style...why the hell does that make it bad, are you that afraid of different things?

They have had Genius Sonority, Ambrella & Hal to help make the spin-off games recently so that they have the opportunity to focus on DP mainly and still have good things coming out in the big gap

If you dont want to get them then fine, just dont be moaning that Nintendo & Gamefreak are putting lots of effort into DP to actually MAKE IT GOOD. WHat would you bloody rather, a very good game out a bit late or a **** game out now?

Lol, hold on there, don't get so defensive!
To be honest with you, Pokemon is much like any other loved saga such as Star Wars. When fans hear of a new movie. They expect more-or-less a very familiar experience that will of course have a new plot and characters, but still retain the "essence" that Mr. Lucas KNOWS he must add to cater to the millions of fanboys. I've seen enough of Torezei to make my mind up. The divergence from the original RBY days is simply too much for me to actually enjoy. Rather than attempting to capture the essence and charm of Pokemon, this seems more to me like exploitation of the Pokemon characters.

Pokemon did not become popular through any of those puzzle games or "Hey you Pikachu!". It became what it is today because of the original RPG's and the "real" games that came after.

Hell, even the anime was based to some extent on the games (going on a journey to collect pokemon and win badges). Do you really think the show would have done HALF as well as it presently does if Ash say, started off his journey as a Pokemon breeder?

I happen to be a fan who knows what he wants, and is also on quite a tight budget. To be honest, HUGE, well playing games such as GTA San Andreas were programmed and on shelves within two years. When you say

"If you dont want to get them then fine, just dont be moaning that Nintendo & Gamefreak are putting lots of effort into DP to actually MAKE IT GOOD. WHat would you bloody rather, a very good game out a bit late or a **** game out now?

I just can't see the logic in this. Technically, Gamefreak has had more than enough time to develop a game along the lines of a polished, 2d, RPG for the DS. I suspect these "filler" games along the way have hindered this process (even if gamefreak didn't create these fillers) of making the games the fan's really want.

I'm guessing you responded harshly because you view this as a attack on your work and effort towards covering the new games.
That is simply not the case; as a Pokemon Webmaster, you have a duty to cover ALL the games, not just the ones you favor. So it makes complete sense to me.
I for one, can't stomach another puzzle game, and refuse to shell out 40 USD for it either.

Serebii
4th January 2006, 5:38 PM
I'm sorry but you program a game in 4 years for a new console to make use of a touch screen, two screens and all the other DS features with loads of added stuff

GTA took a short time because they used essentially the same models, the exact same engine and just changed maps, polished and added a new story, Gamefreak with DP are adding whole new areas with whole new graphics with over 100 new Pokémon aswell as adding loads to every aspect of Pokemon in one game

If you dont like the puzzle games just dont get them, don't moan about them as you still get the games you want

I dont have a duty to cover all the games or anything, this isnt an obligation im doing, its a hobby and what I dont like is people just dismissing good games for no reason except that it isnt a game which is coming out later

Darkliger
4th January 2006, 6:40 PM
To be honest, I would try. I'm not quite sure what to think about it's battle system, thought. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that they took a gamble and made it different from the normal series, but I'm not quite sure if it will be what I'm looking for in a battle system.

As far as GBA games go, my tastes in battles are more directed towards simple 2D battles, the Sonic Battle-style, or Kingdom Hearts: CoM's battle engine. Heck even the Battle Network had a strange lure to it.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to see for myself. I do know this: I actually like the fact that Pokemon talk in human language in the game and wear little outfits.

Chilled2m7
7th January 2006, 2:40 AM
I'm sorry but you program a game in 4 years for a new console to make use of a touch screen, two screens and all the other DS features with loads of added stuff

GTA took a short time because they used essentially the same models, the exact same engine and just changed maps, polished and added a new story, Gamefreak with DP are adding whole new areas with whole new graphics with over 100 new Pokémon aswell as adding loads to every aspect of Pokemon in one game

Funny how 100 odd D/S games have done JUST THAT in a shorter period. Do you hear yourself? 4 years isn't enough to program a game? Resident Evil 4 only took 3 years and it's infinitely more complicated then ANYTHING a Pokemon game could ever be. Four years is just inexcusable.

So basically what your saying is that the reason were getting all this filler crap like Torezei and such is because it's taking so long to program D/P? I think you have it the other way around. D/P is taking so long to come out because Gamefreak and Nintendo have every intention on selling as many fillers as possible in order get every single cent out of Pokemon fans.

Serebii
7th January 2006, 2:19 PM
Yes and how many of those 100 odd DS games actually have a lifespan of more than a few hours

They are taking their time to perfect it...stop moaning. You say Nintendo's doing it to get every cent possible? Who cares...if you dont want it...dont buy it. Don't forget the fact that Nintendo is running a business

ghost master
7th January 2006, 6:19 PM
Funny how 100 odd D/S games have done JUST THAT in a shorter period. Do you hear yourself? 4 years isn't enough to program a game? Resident Evil 4 only took 3 years and it's infinitely more complicated then ANYTHING a Pokemon game could ever be. Four years is just inexcusable.

So basically what your saying is that the reason were getting all this filler crap like Torezei and such is because it's taking so long to program D/P? I think you have it the other way around. D/P is taking so long to come out because Gamefreak and Nintendo have every intention on selling as many fillers as possible in order get every single cent out of Pokemon fans.
You should know some things first of all Gamefreak right after releasing R/S they dont start working on D/P. They anounced it in the end of 2004 so about a year and a few months ago and most of the time they anounce games when they are only past the thinking stage and not in the actual developing stage. Also Gamefreak makes other things than pokemon games. They havent created spin offs off of pokemon yet. Gamefreak also produced Fr/Lg/E to keep us busy until they release D/P. The fillers do make a quick buck and satisfy the fans. Ranger so far seems pretty good and is one of those better fillers and is gamefreaks first spin off so dont complain.

Chilled2m7
9th January 2006, 11:19 PM
Yes and how many of those 100 odd DS games actually have a lifespan of more than a few hours

They are taking their time to perfect it...stop moaning. You say Nintendo's doing it to get every cent possible? Who cares...if you dont want it...dont buy it. Don't forget the fact that Nintendo is running a business

It’s called a discussion; for the last time, I’m not moaning.
It appears you wish to remain combative. In the interest of still continuing to enjoy this site without feeling any ill will towards anyone, I will no longer discuss this issue since it seems as though I am going to be accused of “starting something”.
I've been around these forums for a good three 3 to 4 years. I'm not some ten year old whining about something without warrant. I made my points throughout this thread.
Good day.

ANinyMouse
13th January 2006, 6:22 PM
I'm not going to push the issue if C2M7 wants to drop it, but I do want to put my two cents in.

I'm not going to comment on how long it would reasonably take GameFreak to develope D/P. I'm not a game developer, and I can imagine that incorperating all that will be in D/P's final version takes a massive ammount of work. Keep in mind, an important part of finalizing any game (and especially a heavyweight franchise such as Pokemon) is to bug test. Heaven knows they still manage to miss a few. However, we're talking WORLDWIDE ONLINE battling, trading and/or various other types of interaction, here. That's a lot to test with Pokemon in particular, due to the complexities of the Pokemon themselves... not even counting the safeguards that must be put in place to assure a balanced metagame AND, if it is implemented, backwards transfers to D/P from the GBA games.

Don't forget, they've been making Drill Dozer through all this as well (which looks great btw)!

PHEW

Let's just say... I'm with Serebii. This game is going to be monumental, and fans expectations (especially in Japan) are going to be sky-high. Also, Nintendo's been on their "innovation and strong gameplay" podium for a while now. That said, if GameFreak doesn't take it's good time adding in as much as that DS card will allow...

Things could be disasterous.

Back on topic ( :p ), I'm looking forward to seeing how Ranger's final build will pan out. Looks slick so far. GameFreak's making it into a serious RPG by the looks of it, too. I hope it's impact on the D/P generation is nothing but positive!

Chilled2m7
14th January 2006, 7:24 AM
ANinyMouse, it’s actually really nice to hear from you! I didn’t think you were still a member of these forums. I’ve been a member since 01 I would imagine.

To be honest, if Game freak pulls out a "showstopper" I will retract any negative comments I have said thus far. It seems reasonable that they would take this much time IF and ONLY IF they actually come out with the definitive Pokemon game.

From what I've seen in the past, however, Pokemon RPG games are typically carbon copies of one another with some new Pokemon sprinkled in along with some gimmicks such as "contests" in the R/S era. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE all of the RPG's that have come out thus far, but I sincerely hope that after all this time I am completely rocked by D/P.
I certainly will not be satisfied with an unoriginal, re-hashed RPG that really does not serve to further the series.

The reason I have some worries about games like Ranger or Torezi is the fact that I fear Game freak is adopting the "quantity more than quality” type of attitude that has plagued several other game series.

So let us wait, and for everyone's sake; I hope I'm proven wrong in this thread!

DragoonS
17th January 2006, 9:01 PM
I have to remind someting.

There was a tool in the movie "Mewtwo Returns"; Domino, the woman Rocket Grunt, was throwing a circle to make Pokemon exhausted.

And the Beyblade of Pokemon Rangers need to turn around Pokemon to affect their mind.

It looks like it was shown that Pokemon Ranger is incoming

Brinstar
17th January 2006, 11:12 PM
From what I've seen in the past, however, Pokemon RPG games are typically carbon copies of one another with some new Pokemon sprinkled in along with some gimmicks such as "contests" in the R/S era. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE all of the RPG's that have come out thus far, but I sincerely hope that after all this time I am completely rocked by D/P.
I certainly will not be satisfied with an unoriginal, re-hashed RPG that really does not serve to further the series.

If you don't like the typical unoriginal Pokemon RPG set up, then shouldn't Pokemon Ranger be right up your alley? It offers something new, and it seems to be a pretty important game, important enough to have an entire movie based off of it.

smiley.
18th January 2006, 8:11 AM
If you don't like the typical unoriginal Pokemon RPG set up, then shouldn't Pokemon Ranger be right up your alley? It offers something new, and it seems to be a pretty important game, important enough to have an entire movie based off of it.
Is the movie based on it, or is it based on the movie?

I don't think these games do anything for the Pokemon name. I wish they'd stop making the fillers though, because most of the people on here come to talk about the RPG's, so they're the thing we really want.
(I still wish they'd make Snap 2...)

JazzJazz
18th January 2006, 6:13 PM
I don't think these games do anything for the Pokemon name. I wish they'd stop making the fillers though, because most of the people on here come to talk about the RPG's, so they're the thing we really want.
(I still wish they'd make Snap 2...)

Ranger is an RPG, just not a "normal" Pokemon one. The things is, they make these games because people want them. Fans are demanding Pokemon all the time and they can't keep releasing new "normal" RPGs so they try to fill the void with different examples of how the Pokemon world can be enjoyed.

marktheshark
19th January 2006, 12:01 AM
no offense but it hurts the pokemon name in fact this game is stupid there better off doing a pokemon power ragers game

Chilled2m7
21st January 2006, 5:38 AM

If you look at my post, you will see that I said I LOVE the RPG's.
Just because you get the same thing every generation doesn't mean im getting tired of it. Actually, I've come to expect that that is what a Pokemon game is supposed to be.

Ranger completely trashes this formula in favor of a very odd way to catch Pokemon as well as very unfamiliar graphics.

Gravy
21st January 2006, 1:01 PM
Ranger completely trashes this formula in favor of a very odd way to catch Pokemon as well as very unfamiliar graphics.
You say that like its a bad thing.
Variety is the spice of life. There's nothing wrong with it, especially if its being used in a series with so much potential. I can't say I can see the problem.

no offense but it hurts the pokemon name in fact this game is stupid there better off doing a pokemon power ragers game
Would help if you explained why.

CyberCubed
21st January 2006, 5:54 PM
I'd rather D/P be something new then the same old generic 8 Gym and Elite 4 quest. If anything the main series has gotten stale unless D/P revamp it, and I'll take Ranger or Mysterious Dungeon anyday over the same thing released for a 4th time.

Jigsaw
21st January 2006, 6:21 PM
Heck, the pokemon dungeon game hurts the pokemon game. That game wasn't fun at all and thats the only game i see them milking the series with

Serebii
21st January 2006, 6:35 PM
The dungeon games are good, but not if you have no idea whats going on

Nintendo tried changing the mold with Colosseum & XD, all they got was people moaning that it didnt have gyms, elite 4 etc. so what do you expect them to think

JazzJazz
21st January 2006, 8:51 PM
Nintendo tried changing the mold with Colosseum & XD, all they got was people moaning that it didnt have gyms, elite 4 etc. so what do you expect them to think

I think the biggest issue with those games (well, my biggest gripe) was the lack of wild pokemon... it just made the game seem quite bland and static.

Gravy
21st January 2006, 9:01 PM
That and the fact that most of the locations were pretty drab. And the total lack of freedom :/

Kyrouge Masta
21st January 2006, 11:51 PM
AS has been said it does nither. However it will be nice to play a game with a classic pokmon sort of style without having to be a trainer.

Jigsaw
23rd January 2006, 10:50 AM
The dungeon games are good, but not if you have no idea whats going on

Making a pokemon themed dungeon game was a bad idea. The pokemon game isn't good at all. It's total crap, it didn't need to be made. But it was made because people would buy it, which they did.

Serebii
23rd January 2006, 12:08 PM
And they bought it and enjoy it thats why it keeps getting bought

If you have a basic or non existant understanding of Japanese then I can see why you dont like it but if it ever gets translated into English, you would like it

Zorga
23rd January 2006, 2:08 PM
i think it is fun that pokemon ranger is coming, but it may slow down the progress of diamond/pearl and that is bad!

Serebii
23rd January 2006, 2:38 PM
i think it is fun that pokemon ranger is coming, but it may slow down the progress of diamond/pearl and that is bad!
No it wont

Jigsaw
24th January 2006, 3:42 AM
And they bought it and enjoy it thats why it keeps getting bought

If you have a basic or non existant understanding of Japanese then I can see why you dont like it but if it ever gets translated into English, you would like it

No i wouldn't. I can garentee that. It's the type of game i will play and try maybe one time. Just because i don't know japanese doesn't mean thats the reason i don't like the game. I don't have to understand a side story type thing to lik a game.

The basis of good games is Gameplay. Which that game lacks.

Chilled2m7
25th January 2006, 3:17 PM
I really think it all boils down to the fact that this was not what Pokemon Fan's expected. I don't think I would have had ANY problems with Ranger or any of thse other games if D/P had already come out. I can honestly say though, these games really don't fulfill my craving for a real RPG that is in my opinion,just a bit overdue.

The Power of Pika
26th January 2006, 12:09 AM
No i wouldn't. I can garentee that. It's the type of game i will play and try maybe one time. Just because i don't know japanese doesn't mean thats the reason i don't like the game. I don't have to understand a side story type thing to lik a game.

The basis of good games is Gameplay. Which that game lacks.

Well it was an RPG meaning you need to understand it to get thourough enjoyment. Tales of Symphonia got a bad review from a magazine I read because they couldn't understand the language. They said it lacked gameplay. Until it came out in English they really took it back then.

What's the big deal anyway. There were so many fillers that came around when Pokemon was popular in the past. Then it cut down. I used to enjoy all that and now it's back. I remember buying the Puzzle League game, the puzzle League Challenge, Pokemon Trading card game, Pokemon Pinball and Pokemon Snap.

It had been pretty dead when Ruby and Saphire came out. With only Pokemon Pinball: ruby saphire and Pokemon Channel. I can't think of anymore. During that time it really sucked. I can see why I was getting bored. lack of variety.

When Pokemon Coloseum and XD came out I was like okay that's a start. Then Pokemon Dash was like nice try but you really need to improve to get to the olden day standards. Now Pokemon trozei, Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger has been announced and I was like that's more like it.=)

To be honest I haven't played my Advance Pokemon games for over a month now. Which is not good. I feel that I'm overloaded with the old formula. I like the formula but I do want a break. I want it so bad that I was the unlucky person who bought Pokemon Dash. I tend to sidle back to my Nintendo 64 for Puzzle league. I have been playing Mario Kart more often than ever. More than Pokemon. Not having side games will only cost the franchise lots of people because they'll get sick of the old style because of being overloaded with it mostly. That's how my friends dropped out of Pokemon and it was during the Ruby and Sapphire Era.

Gosple
7th February 2006, 11:45 PM
i think it does neither. the franchise can only be dealt a very severe blow by the main series or to a lesser extent the RPGs, so the side games like this arent as much of a gamble. still, i think its a creative idea for a pokemon game

I agree , as long as they are making the same old formula , people will be happy . The fillers don't hurt it at all . But PR does look like an interesting and fun filler at that .