PDA

View Full Version : May has the Most Unoriginal Team ever.

Kabuto
21st December 2005, 2:14 AM
May is a great character with alot of potential to be a good trainer. But, why does she need clones of other pokemon we have seen mainly Ashs pokemon.

Beautifly- The Butterfree clone with less personality.

Bulbasaur- Ash already had a Bulbasaur.

Skitty- The popper out of pokeball. Shes like Psyduck/Wobbufet except not as funny.

Squirtle- Ash already had Squirtle. First Bulbasaur but then Squirtle!

Munchlax- Pre-evolved Snorlax that Ash already had

The way I see it, her only good pokemon is Combusken.

Puffs
21st December 2005, 2:17 AM
what about Richie? Except Zippo actually obeys him.

-_-

Kabuto
21st December 2005, 2:18 AM
Richie I'm ok with since hes like Ash's clone. But May is her own unique individual who has been around for over 120 episodes

S.Suikun
21st December 2005, 2:29 AM
Wait...Butterfree had personality? It had no distinguishing characteristics whatsoever. It also wasn't nearly as versatile in battle as Beautifly. As for Skitty, what do you mean it simply pops out of a Pokeball? In battle, it's Deus ex Machina to the extreme!

The others I'll agree with you on.

Kabuto
21st December 2005, 2:32 AM
Actually Butterfree had a sh*tload of personality in Bye Bye Butterfree. And it was just as good in battle as Beautifly if not better. Skitty had some personality though, but I didn't like it.

Jo-Jo
21st December 2005, 2:36 AM
Butterfree had personality when it was a Caterpie. But overall, May's Pokemon are a bit samey, though I like most of them. I guess their originality lies in the fact that they're used for contests rather than gym battles.

Kabuto
21st December 2005, 2:40 AM
I'd just like to see Pokemon that don't get limelight for a change like gardevoir/dunsparce

Gravy
21st December 2005, 2:41 AM
How is Beautifly a clone of Butterfree? All you're doing there is saying 'They're both based off Butterflies, thus they're the same thing'. And thats pretty much the only similarity they share with one another. Its just like saying Corphish is a rip-off of Kingler.
I also disagree with the statement suggesting that Butterfree was a better battling pokémon~

You've gotta love Combusken for being as awesome as it is http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Torchic23
21st December 2005, 2:47 AM
What about Combusken? Ash had no other pokemon like it! Beautifly is nothig like Ash's Butterfree. Beautifly is girly and has compassion for May. Ash's Butterfree only showed compassion for Ash in two episodes

Kabuto
21st December 2005, 2:49 AM
I said I like Combusken. And Mays Beautifly and Skitty that were a little original are at the Gym Mays team now has nothing but copies (except Combusken who is the best).

Torchic23
21st December 2005, 2:52 AM
They may be the same pokemon but they have completely different personilitys. May's Squirtle is a cute little baby pokemon that is scared of everything. May's Bulbasaur is also very girly and kinda cocky

Manene!
21st December 2005, 2:57 AM
*Looks at Join Date* Join Date: Dec 2005

That explains it.

Okay, Firstly, Ash has had both a Bulbasaur and Squirtle, I agree but, They act nothing alike.

Ash's Bulbasaur/=/May's Bulbasaur
Ash's Squirtle/=/May's Squirtle

Munchlax, Most likely will never evolve so, He doesn't count.

All of her Pokemon have their own personalities. It's what's on the inside that counts.

Gravy
21st December 2005, 2:58 AM
They may be the same pokemon but they have completely different personilitys.
Though battle wise, they're pretty much the same as Ash's pokémon, bar knowing at least one different attack. And thats what people tend to get irritated about. The fact that they're the exact same species doesn't particulary help the matter either.

Kabuto
21st December 2005, 3:00 AM
*Looks at Join Date* Join Date: Dec 2005

That explains it.

Okay, Firstly, Ash has had both a Bulbasaur and Squirtle, I agree but, They act nothing alike.

Ash's Bulbasaur/=/May's Bulbasaur
Ash's Squirtle/=/May's Squirtle

Munchlax, Most likely will never evolve so, He doesn't count.

All of her Pokemon have their own personalities. It's what's on the inside that counts.

I know and I'm experienced just cause I joined late, doesn't mean I don't know alot. I know they're different in personality but it'd be nice to see pokemon that aren't advertised so much. And if that egg is an eevee thats even more pokemon that are always shoved in our faces.

Torchic23
21st December 2005, 3:00 AM
Of course they're gonna have the same attacks! THe same species of pokemon learn the same attacks. And bedsides I never saw Ash's Bulbasaur use Petal Dance

Manene!
21st December 2005, 3:09 AM
Ash's Squirtle:
- Tackle
- Water Gun
- Bubble
- Withdraw
- Skull Bash
- Hydro Pump

May's Squirtle:
- Water Gun
- Bubble
- Tackle
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Bulbasaur:
- Tackle
- Leech Seed
- Razor Leaf
- Vine Whip
- Sleep Powder
- Solarbeam
- Take Down

Bulbasaur:
- Tackle
- Vine Whip
- Razor Leaf
- Petal Dance

They both know the basic moves, Otherwise completly different moves. And Munchlax, None of his moves are the same as Munchlax.

Gravy
21st December 2005, 3:09 AM
Of course they're gonna have the same attacks! THe same species of pokemon learn the same attacks.
...which is why they're seen as unoriginal.

And bedsides I never saw Ash's Bulbasaur use Petal Dance
Yes, I already pointed out that each of them already has one differing attack to their counterpart. But neither of those attacks significantly alters their battle style. I'm not going to count Haruka's Squirtles' Rapid Spin, because its just Squirtle's tackle with a different name.. They're still, essentially, the same thing. Just with a slightly different shade of color in the paint.

Geki
21st December 2005, 3:11 AM
May is a good character, and has a cool team. Who cares if she is copying a sort of Ash's old team.

CyberCubed
21st December 2005, 3:22 AM
I see no problem with May's Pokemon being like Ash's.

Especially her Bulbasaur. Despite being the same as one of Ash's, her Bulba's personality is vastly different. May's Bulba is really girly and nice, much like May. Ash's Bulba is really stubborn and aggressive, much like Ash is now. We basically have a male and female Bulba used for the two leads, what's the problem?

That and I love the fact that the writers have used the two Bulbasaur to directly parallel the two trainers. So much as having Ash's Bulbasaur mentoring May's Bulba back at Oaks.

Beautifly is a throwback to Ash's Butterfree sure, but Beautifly is a HELL of a lot different in battle. It's pretty good.

May's team may mirror Ash's, but that's probably because the writers want their two leads to have certain similarities and go through the same thing.

Oh, and May's next Pokemon assuming it's an Eevee is not one of Ash's, so the trend breaks there.

Torchic23
21st December 2005, 3:24 AM

Especially her Bulbasaur. Despite being the same as one of Ash's, her Bulba's personality is vastly different. May's Bulba is really girly and nice, much like May. Ash's Bulba is really stubborn and aggressive, much like Ash is now.

That and I love the fact that the writers have used the two Bulbasaur to directly parallel the two trainers. So much as having Ash's Bulbasaur mentoring May's Bulba back at Oaks.

Beautifly is a throwback to Ash's Butterfree sure, but Beautifly is a HELL of a lot different in battle. It's pretty good.

May's team may mirror Ash's, but that's probably because the writers want their two leads to have certain similarities and go through the same thing.

Oh, and May's next Pokemon assuming it's an Eevee is not one of Ash's, so the trend breaks there.

Coulden't have said it better myself

Flame Haze SnS
21st December 2005, 4:22 AM
Ash's Butterfree and May's Beautifly are different in attacks (except that they both are butterfly).
Ash's Squirtle and May's Squirtle are different because Ash's has sunglasses and is brave and May's is pretty much scared of everything (until he mature a little)
Ash's Bulbasaur and May's Bulbasaur are different because their genders are different.

I don't think May's egg is Eevee (my opinion).

Angeling
21st December 2005, 4:36 AM

Especially her Bulbasaur. Despite being the same as one of Ash's, her Bulba's personality is vastly different. May's Bulba is really girly and nice, much like May. Ash's Bulba is really stubborn and aggressive, much like Ash is now. We basically have a male and female Bulba used for the two leads, what's the problem?

Exactly. And I hope this isn't a thread started to bash on Haruka/May.. >_>; and I dun think that's exactly allowed.. The Pokémon do reflect on the personalities of the trainers. But really, who gives a crap that Haruka/May's Pokémon are somewhat similar to Satoshi/Ash's? >_>

Chris
21st December 2005, 4:36 AM
Obviously people forget characters can have Pokémon that other trainers have. e_e Neither of Haruka's Pokémon act like Satoshi's Pokémon. Maybe with the exception of Gonbe.

PDL
21st December 2005, 4:40 AM
Obviously people forget characters can have Pokémon that other trainers have. e_e Neither of Haruka's Pokémon act like Satoshi's Pokémon. Maybe with the exception of Gonbe.

I don't see how that pokemon acts like Ash's...

Snorlax is more interested in sleeping, only waking up to eat, while Munchlax tends to eat all the darn time, not once have I actually seen it sleep as heavly as Snorlax

♥Princess Ketchum♥
21st December 2005, 9:29 AM
i glad that she is gonna catch no pokemon the same as ash's but i dont mind her having bublasaur and squirtle but it would cool if the evolved!

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
21st December 2005, 11:20 AM
*yawn*

the name of the thread is kinda flaming May, but I do have to agree that the species of some of May's and Ash's Old pokemon are the same, the personallities are not

and by Ash's old pokemon, i mean he dosen't use them any more! they are just shuved at Oak's or with the squirtle squad, he hasn't used them in ages.

Like people have pointed out, Bulbasaur's and Squirtle's movesets have unique moves, but some of them have unique appearances/patterns like the two heart's on May's bulba's head *me and other advanceshippers going mad*.

Other then species, they are basically not alike at all, if anything Richie is the most unorigonal trainer:
Pikachu- sparky
Taillow/swellow- rose
charizard-zippo
Ash's old butterfree- Happy

Richie's only origonal pokemon is Cruz.........

Infinite Master Sceptile
21st December 2005, 11:24 AM
If May were a fanfic character, we'd all cry Mary Sue on her. But this stuff is normal in the anime.

PDL
21st December 2005, 2:12 PM
Richie's only origonal pokemon is Cruz.........

and if you streach it, Ash did have a Larvitar later...

Chris
21st December 2005, 2:52 PM
But neither of those acted anything alike. o_O

Puffs
21st December 2005, 9:52 PM
Cruz was barely shown at all, it never developed a ersonality like Sparky, Zippo, & Happy

Kamex
21st December 2005, 10:17 PM
May's Pokemon are similar, but have different personalities for the most part.

Cruz was barely shown at all, it never developed a ersonality like Sparky, Zippo, & Happy
They didn't get too much time to develop personalities themselves, really.

I also disagree with the statement suggesting that Butterfree was a better battling pokémon~
You sure? If you look back, whenever Butterfree was used, it did pretty well. For example, when it battled against Misty in the Cerulean Gym. Or the countless times it was reliable in helping defeat Team Rocket or some other random trainer. Of course, I don't quite remember Beautifly doing too bad itself, so it's a bit hard to call.

Yamato-san
22nd December 2005, 6:28 AM
all Butterfree could do was tackle, blow whirlwinds (both of which were roles already covered by Pigeon), and sprinkle powder. Agehunt, on the other hand, was much more versatile with its wind-based moves (which includes Gust and the powerful Silver Wind) and a String Shot that it could throw around like a lasso. Also, Agehunt would be a unique choice for Haruka to use in contests because, at the moment, she does not have any other Pokemon capable of flight. Bottom line is that Satoshi's Butterfree was hardly very useful, and should not be compared to Haruka's Agehunt. The only unique thing it could do was sprinkle powder, considering his grass-types never could do the same, but even that wasn't so great. The anime hardly emphasises status conditions over speed and heavy-hitting, plus the anime always made it so powder-based moves can easily be countered by blowing it away or being washed off. Now, if the anime could just let Butterfree use some psychic moves like it does in the games, it would seem a lot better, but for some reason, anime Butterfree have yet to do this (it did in the Dengeki Pikachu manga, though).

pikadon92
22nd December 2005, 6:44 AM
I thikn Agehunt doesn't sound like a pokemon to me :/
I think May's team is like an eddited version using Ash's team as a base. Don't just conclude that May is a copycat, because what matter is their personality. Who knows? May might get a charmander (Ash's charizard) that never wants to evolve, or had her egg swapped accidentaly for a pidgey's (Ash's pidgeotoo).

Chris
22nd December 2005, 8:44 AM
I thikn Agehunt doesn't sound like a pokemon to me :/
Agehunt = Beautifly. --;

Aikou Bupiggu
22nd December 2005, 10:30 AM
May is a great character with alot of potential to be a good trainer. But, why does she need clones of other pokemon we have seen mainly Ashs pokemon.

...So you're saying Haruka has clones of Satoshi's pokemon and you don't like her because of her being all clonish...

Richie I'm ok with since hes like Ash's clone

Now how does that work ?

So you're fine with Richie, the giver of bad nicknames yet you're not alright with Haruka?

Kabuto
22nd December 2005, 1:45 PM
Richie never appears. May on the other hand appears in every episode from AG. Its not that her team is bad, but I'd like to see new Pokemon that have been shafted in the show, thats all.

Nintendo Theatre
22nd December 2005, 3:16 PM

There ya go, the trend has broken. The egg was just confirmed to be an Eevee.

Kabuto
22nd December 2005, 8:34 PM
Ok May has Eevee That makes things worse. Eevee is another annoying pokemon who is shoved in our faces everyday. Did Ash have one ? Maybe not. But the fact is that it is another pokemon who we always see.

Serebii
22nd December 2005, 8:36 PM
Ok May has Eevee That makes things worse. Eevee is another annoying pokemon who is shoved in our faces everyday. Did Ash have one ? Maybe not. But the fact is that it is another pokemon who we always see.
What are you talking about? We havent seen an Eevee since Mid-Johto iirc

Kabuto
22nd December 2005, 8:40 PM
True I guess I'm going crazy because I didn't want Eevee. But Eevee and its evolutions have still gotten way more screentime then others. But I suppose you're right it definitely breaks the trend.

cold_katanagirl
22nd December 2005, 8:44 PM
True I guess I'm going crazy because I don't like Eevee. But Eevee and its evolutions have still gotten way more screentime then others. But I suppose you're right it definitely breaks the trend.That's because May is basically the marketing tool.

And at least the trend is broken. For now.

XDLord
22nd December 2005, 8:48 PM
Yes, the writers have gone brain dead and given May crap. Personality doesn't matter, it's the same Pokemon(or same evo line). From the way I see it, Combusken is the only original Pokemon on May's team, we haven't seen enough of Eevee to judge it.

Damn straight CTG. She's just a marketing tool.

Kabuto
22nd December 2005, 9:03 PM
That was my point. I don't hate her team but its unoriginal. Sure they add new attacks and personalities but they're the same pokemon. Also sorry for overreacting about that Eevee I'm ok with her team though just wanted to point out that shes a bit of a marketing tool.

Bling King
23rd December 2005, 3:44 AM
She's a marketing tool.

Edited to tell the sad, sad truth.

Chris
23rd December 2005, 4:26 AM
You people do realize that mentioning anything in Pokémon can be a marketing tool? Pokémon's based off of marketing skills and THRIVES off of it. o_O Hell, most movies are based on sneak peeks of what's to come to the handhelds and gets you to want to buy the games.

Chris-The-Scout
23rd December 2005, 10:46 AM
I don't care that May's team is copied from Ash's Old Team.

What I wish is that he kept his old team.

I loved the Pikachu, Pidgeot, Charizsard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Butterfeee team. I never liked his new teams.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
23rd December 2005, 3:02 PM
and if you streach it, Ash did have a Larvitar later...
well technically he didn't catch it, we never saw it in a monster ball did we?

Richie is more of Ash's clone then May like I said before, Pikachu and sparky are the same except for sparky's higher voice and funky hair do

Gravy
23rd December 2005, 3:39 PM
You people do realize that mentioning anything in Pokémon can be a marketing tool? Pokémon's based off of marketing skills and THRIVES off of it. o_O Hell, most movies are based on sneak peeks of what's to come to the handhelds and gets you to want to buy the games.
Yes, but concerning Haruka its a whole different matter. They're deliberatly giving her all these really cute and supposedly popular characters, of which have their faces smothering the bulk of all pokémon-based merchandise. 3 starters, Skitty, Eevee and Munchlax. The only ones that aren't in that catagory would be Beautifly and Combusken.
Compared to Ash's reserves/his current team and the stuff Brock is usually tagged with, there's quite a significant difference.

I'm not totally fond of the main characters owning similar, or the exact same species of pokémon, nor am I fond of, frankly crappy, marketting gimmick pokémon either. But if its keeping Ash's team clean and proventing it from going back to that awful 'catch all starters and have them do everything' rut, then its all good.

Yamato-san
25th December 2005, 9:28 AM
Yes, but concerning Haruka its a whole different matter. They're deliberatly giving her all these really cute and supposedly popular characters, of which have their faces smothering the bulk of all pokémon-based merchandise. 3 starters, Skitty, Eevee and Munchlax. The only ones that aren't in that catagory would be Beautifly and Combusken.
Compared to Ash's reserves/his current team and the stuff Brock is usually tagged with, there's quite a significant difference.

I'm not totally fond of the main characters owning similar, or the exact same species of pokémon, nor am I fond of, frankly crappy, marketting gimmick pokémon either. But if its keeping Ash's team clean and proventing it from going back to that awful 'catch all starters and have them do everything' rut, then its all good.

Um.... you say Wakashamo's not a marketting gimmick, but technically.... doesn't it count as one of the 3 starters you mentioned her getting? When you mention it, I'm reminded of the fact that she got Fushigidane to promote Fire Red/Leaf Green, Eneko because it was a token cute Pokemon for that generation, and even Gonbe makes sense for its Diamond/Pearl advertising. But, when it comes to Zenigame, I really gotta wonder, why? Do you honestly think there was a logical reasoning for that? Advertising Fire Red/Leaf Green, despite having already been released over a year ago at the time (for that matter, same probably goes for making Battle Frontier take place in Kantou.... but if Fire/Leaf advertising was the case for that, you'd think they'd take a moment to showcase actual stuff from the game, wouldn't you? Perhaps the Silph Co., which got shafted out of making any appearance in the past). I can guess old fans found it cute back when all three Kantou starters were obliged to be showcased anyway, but what about newer fans? And for that matter, is it such a great idea to be showing starter Pokemon that get non-natural moves, particularly at a ridiculously early point? Starters are meant to capture that early game experience for beginner players, but what's the point if new players can start up a game under the false impression that their new Fushigidane will start using Petal Dance, or a Zenigame with Ice Beam while you're barely past Mt. Moon and still far away from reaching that TM? But whatever, the anime's really been messing with my head lately in terms of what they're trying to advertise..... I thought that beginner player representation was a reason that at least Mizugorou was staying unevolved, but I turned up wrong.... ironically, though, I still see that evolution as having been rather pointless.

It is a relief that Satoshi's team is kept clean, but..... well, Haruka's a main character herself, with her own storyline and quest, like Satoshi. Contests may play a more major role in future games, too (then again, the fact that they only appear in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, with the latter having them shafted into one location, I'm left to wonder, now). I guess she is having to go through the same crap Satoshi had to deal with, but still.... it'd be nice if they stuck all the advertisement on a more minor, yet very popular, character. Kojirou got Manene, afterall (and actually doing a decent job with showcasing that, too.... it's being cute, and not in an annoying way ^^, yet also not giving gamers a false impression that it's gonna be something 00berly powerful when the game comes out.... not yet at least).