PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Limit?

Faerie
21st December 2005, 3:28 AM
Huh. Misleading title. >__< Couldn't think of a better one though.

I've seen people talking about the stories they're working on around here, and some people seem to be working on a lot of projects, while others only have one or two at a time. So how many stories do you usually like to work on at a time? Just a few, or do you even have a limit?

I prefer to limit the number of stories I'm doing to just a few at a time. Currently I have two large projects and one one-shot that I'm doing; I'm not going to start any more full-length stories until I finish one of the ones I'm working on right now. I don't do too much at once since I don't have a huge amount of time to work on them. I write during my free time, and I do it for fun, not as a job I feel I have to do. Although sometimes I feel pressured to get things done, I don't take it too seriously. Working on too much at once isn't a good idea, in my opinion, because it's a lot of pressure and it's much easier on an author to have just a few things to do at once.

So, post away, and please don't let this topic die. Heaven knows half of them do. >__<

Dragonfree
21st December 2005, 3:35 AM
*shrugs* Well, I don't mind working on many fics at a time, although I kinda only work on one chaptered fic at any given time - usually I take a break from The Quest for the Legends if I'm going to write The Type Chart, and so on. As for one-shots, they're usually written more or less in one or two sittings, so they're not exactly "in progress" for very long - I just get inspiration, write, maybe write some more the next day, and then I'm done.

billy5772
21st December 2005, 3:50 AM
My maximum is two things at a time. It was one, but now I'm working on The Drama of Serebii and Lost in the Haze, so it's two. I tried to do two things at once one time, but those fics ended up melding together into one project. It seems like, the more I think about two fic plotlines at once, the closer they become to each other. And the limit of their closeness is a merger. But maybe that was just because those two fics were of similar genre. I don't know. Well, hopefully, The Drama of Serebii won't turn into an action fic! Just kidding. I think the two that I'm working on now are inherently different and most likely stored in two very different compartments up there, so no worries.

But yeah, succinctly, two at a time only if they are of a different genre.

Eternal Daydreamer
21st December 2005, 3:55 AM
o.O I think that this was made because of me. But on topic, I can work on many at a time. But I stop at about four. Then I stop on a project or two. But Not So Sensational is my main project.

Carpetted!
21st December 2005, 3:56 AM
I can only work on one... the one that I am working on right now.

Dilasc
21st December 2005, 4:03 AM
I usually can take up a few projects, but I'm not exactly the most dedicated of writers. If I feel that a project is going down the tube, then I may just abandon it. I will never, hopefully, abandon Dust to Deceit. I've come too far to give up now. However, if a small, yet unsuccessful project arises, I may quit it due to its uselessness.

The way I see it, a few projects are useful. Mainly because if one is doing poorly and not winning the hearts of the audience, you have a backup project to fall back on until you have everyone liking it, or something. If the backup fails too, then you're in a pickle, aren't ya?

Kiyohime
21st December 2005, 4:22 AM
Apparently I can only do one at a time or it all goes down in flames. XD But I can do a chaptered fic and also do one-shots.

Psychic
21st December 2005, 4:34 AM
I think I can handle a good few, but I wouldn't know, as all I have up is my fic which I have no idea how to continue, and a long-dead One-Shot.

I have a large amount of fics/One-Shots in progress, though. I have seven on the computer, two on paper and maybe three in my head. I have no idea which I’ll be able to post first, because I rotate what I work on. But I’m able to keep them all in check, somehow.
I think that if, say, I got up two more chaptered fics, I might be able to handle them all. I think I have a Prologue/Preview that is presentable for the Author’s Caf&#233;, actually.

I actually want to know what my real limit is, so I’ll stick my Prologue up in the Caf&#233; and try to spit up another chapter for The Mutations, my only fic, for now, at least.

*rant post*

~Psychic

PDL
21st December 2005, 4:35 AM
I'm not particularly excellent at multitasking on different projects... the most I can seem to do is two... currently I'm writing a fanfic, and I'm also writing a guide for Colosseum/XD... I know that's not a fanfic, but it still demands attention...

Shadowcat
21st December 2005, 4:45 AM
Depending... But I'd say I'm working on a Chaptered Fic now, and two one-shots on my mind now. I just have a hard time typing... Now, I can't put my heart into writing. I have writer's block...

Willow's Tara
21st December 2005, 4:45 AM
Hmm well I write alot of stories, depending on which one I am inspire dtlo do, sometimes I migt write three at a time and a;ll, althought only a few gets lucky on being finished.

Joshua - Shadow Brigadier
21st December 2005, 5:25 AM
After a lot of stories going down the drain, it is official that if I try and handle more than one fic at a time, they all get screwed.

Joshua

CHeSHiRe-CaT
21st December 2005, 6:00 AM
Apparently I can only do one at a time or it all goes down in flames. XD But I can do a chaptered fic and also do one-shots.
Amen, sister XD

I'd say the same thing as Scrap, though now that holidays are finally coming over here, I want to get a giddy-up on a fan fiction I have so desperately wanted to recreate in the year of 2006. However, that would mean I may abandon the Noob Trials, which has been my best and most noticed fic ever on SPPf. However, the story of which I plan to recreate was actually the first fic I had ever posted on SPPf, called "The Pokemon Detective." I do plan on working at least the prologue of it, but deciding whether to write it and Serebeth at the same time, Serebeth all the time, or itself the whole time is a great question I ponder. I don't want to leave Trials in the ashes, but I don't want to keep TPD in its grave forever.

I believe I can work on more than one project if times to write each one are scheduled, though progress may slow down on either one if you divide the time up instead of dedicating it to one thing. Then again, I've known authors here who don't post from one to two months, but still have successful fics. I care too much for the audience, and whether I am leaving them in suspense for long XD

~RaikouRider243~
21st December 2005, 6:07 AM
I can only work on one fic at a time. That makes sure my work is of the best quality I can produce.

Negrek
21st December 2005, 7:12 AM
I can generally do chaptered 'fics at once, with a one-shot or two between updates (so that my readers can glare and wonder when I'll get around to the real thing). Currently, I'm trying to do three. It not work well. One of them has been dead for ages.

Quackerdrill
22nd December 2005, 12:15 AM
It differs between times of the year, I've found. In the summer I can take care of more than one chaptered fic, but the rate of chapters takes a toll on both sides. I prefer just working with one, that way I can focus real well... uh, pretty much what everyone else has said before me. I wish I had the drive to bring up a one-shot whenever a big patch of dryness appears in my fic, but then I would have an awful lot of one-shots. xP Just kidding, but I really dislike my lack of real good inspiration lately. Maybe I just need to take a brief look at all the holiday cheer outside...

purple_drake
22nd December 2005, 2:35 AM
Mostly I try to stick to one story at a time because I'm terrified that if I cross between fics, I'll lost interest in the main one and start getting into the world of the second. I don't like leaving things unfinished, so I tend to cling to the ones I'm working on... which is probably the reason it takes me so long to update, because I have too many stories I want to write, and only one I'm allowing myself to. Restraint of muse, I guess you should call it. Hmn, I should try something different, 'cause this sure ain't working...

katiekitten
22nd December 2005, 6:18 AM
Well, I have one. Phoenix. I tend to only do one at a time, although if I have inspiration I will write a Prologue or a one shot. I tend to spend ages thinking about what I will write in a chapter before actually getting down and writing it. I agree with Purple drake. Waters Deep will have to wait. The thing is, I have lots of ideas all of a sudden... :(

Elemental Charizam
22nd December 2005, 11:17 AM
I can do two at a time for chaptered fiction at a pinch, but one ususualy goes on hiatus as the other takes over... One-shots are different, I often have hundreds of one-shot ideas and write a paragraph or two before discontinuing them... so lots of one-shots are fine.

Ryano Ra
22nd December 2005, 1:48 PM
I'm the same as Tyranitar and Scrap.

When I first joined Serebiiforums, I used to write so many different stories at the same type. I've written about a good thirteen or fourteen stories here, trying to write two or three at the same time, and they went down in raging flames. ;_; So, I really try to stick to one story, as it is working for me (I NEVER got half-way through a story before until now, prewriting Rhapsody), because my main ideas and plot and characters only revolve around one thing, and my mind can focus on the main project. I write a few one-shots every now and then while writing my one fanfiction, just to switch up and spread out my idea for different things.

Some people can handle two fanfictions at once, and when I look back and saw how desperately I tried to attempt it, I wonder how they can. o.o And the reason I work on one fanfiction is because I can get the job done, rather than worrying which two stories to choose from when I get free time (which is like, every weekend, Friday to Sunday, and school breaks) and BOTH stories just instantly die. However, I do get lots of ideas for several new stories, but I simply jot down the ideas I have and wait until I finish one to start the other. It's a matter of choosing which one is worthy/ready to become a chaptered fanfiction.

pisces_beedrill
22nd December 2005, 2:11 PM
My maximum is two things at a time. It was one, but now I'm working on The Drama of Serebii and Lost in the Haze, so it's two. I tried to do two things at once one time, but those fics ended up melding together into one project. It seems like, the more I think about two fic plotlines at once, the closer they become to each other. And the limit of their closeness is a merger. But maybe that was just because those two fics were of similar genre. I don't know. Well, hopefully, The Drama of Serebii won't turn into an action fic! Just kidding. I think the two that I'm working on now are inherently different and most likely stored in two very different compartments up there, so no worries.

But yeah, succinctly, two at a time only if they are of a different genre.
same as him^

Sike Saner
22nd December 2005, 9:32 PM
Only one fic in progress at a time for me...I've seen how craptastic my stuff gets when I try to do more than one project at the same time. I initially tried writing Communication and the Origin sequel simultaneously, and the result was sub-par work. So, one fic goes on the backburner for now, while the other one proceeds with MASSIVE revision. Basically, my energy either all goes into one place, and one place only, or else it just goes...nowhere.

Yami Ryu
22nd December 2005, 9:44 PM
I multitask in fanfiction, I've got two *three actually* pokemon fanfiction stories I'm working on, as each gives me a different thing to write about, then a couple of other fanfictions on the backburners, just waiting for the writers block on them to go away, or atleast shift to something else. Writers Block is one reason why I write so much; it doesn't hit me for everything, just a few. So while I can't write one thing, I write another. Then I'm also working on an ficlette based on an RP I'm in.

Then a slew of other ideas, and yeah, you can see I don't just stick to one fanfic, even if they are long and chaptered. There are a few times when I've overloaded myself, but that's what breaks and haitus's are for.

Though I usually find some of my best works lay with oneshots and not chaptered fics XD

Sachiko
28th December 2005, 1:59 PM
Maybe three stories at a time, but I really want to have just one story I may be working on. I told myself I must finish my Episode Remake before I worked on Yuletide Yu- Gi- Oh. Now I'm only working on YY... This is because I like to make long stories. My ER was supposed to have 2- 3 chapters and well... it definitely exceeded that... ...which reminds me that another day has passed and now I can finally update it!! Yay!! *runs off*