PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Block. How do you get over it?

Shadowcat
21st December 2005, 4:47 AM
I'd like to ask everyone... Writer's Block. How do you get over it? I know some, who are lazybums like myself, waiting for it to go away and all... But I really need to post a fic (I can't remember the last time I posted mine that wasn't discontinued. About three months ago I guess...)

Anyways, what do you suggest on getting over it? Going for a walk, taking a breather?

Eternal Daydreamer
21st December 2005, 4:49 AM
Start a new story. I currently have writers block and when I do, I just start another story! It's much easier for me that way.

Joshua - Shadow Brigadier
21st December 2005, 4:50 AM
You can get over it?

Nah, seriously, I just do something I enjoy. If I've got writer's block (which is fairly often), I'll sit around and listen to some music, or draw, or just try and describe my surroundings or my feelings. The last one tends not to work, but music helps me.

Joshua

Shadowcat
21st December 2005, 5:07 AM
Well, I usually stay on the computer, with the television on or music is playing, trying to get inspiration.

Starting a new fic? Oh boy, that will take a much longer time I tell you...

Psychic
21st December 2005, 5:24 AM
Seriously, I use music. It's the reason I have over 13 story ideas running around my head.

But seriously, it doesn't automatically give inspiration for new stories. I think music sort of stimulates the brain and expands the mind, or something.

If you want inspriational music, I strongly suggest Enya. She's helped me a lot. For new ideas, go to Phil Collins, Elton John and Carole King. (Never heard of Carole? Neither did I until a month ago!)

Yea, just give it a try. Or go and read some books and watch tv. But music helps the most.

Good luck!

~Psychic

CHeSHiRe-CaT
21st December 2005, 5:25 AM
I do actually take walks if I want to remedy writer's block; gets my mind and body pumping into action so that I'll be ready to dive into anything. Another thing I do is read books that inspire me, or even watch movies that just shower me with hopes and ideas that push you to write to your fullest extent. Watching the Chronicles of Narnia in theatres slammed me into a non-stop writing FIT. XD Sometimes, I even sleep to get the old noggin some z's. My last method is laying out a spiderweb plot, where you can string together aspects of your story in or out from the main idea, to get some fresh clues as to what sort of thing you need to write about.

I don't listen to music to undo my writer's block, but I do listen to it continually on one track that fits the mood or feeling I am trying to place in my writing. For example, for the morbid screaming and cries of one of my characters and the resurrection of a terrible evil, I listen to the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire theme.

.Person.
21st December 2005, 5:35 AM
Ummmmmmmmmm... I... Hate... It... It's so hard to forget!

Eternal Daydreamer
21st December 2005, 5:36 AM
Yes, Enya's good. Her Fairytale song helps with fanasty writings a lot.

Starting a new fic is just something I do. *shrug*

High Commander Solomon
21st December 2005, 5:38 AM
Completely give up, convince myself that I suck, and basically destroy my own confidence.

Dilasc
21st December 2005, 5:51 AM
A great way to inspire yourself to write big stories is to write one-shots in your down time. After all, nothing says 'I'm still writing' like small outlets of your creativity that may just help reinspire yourself yet again.

Jeezum Junk Jenkins! It's like a vicious cycle, and is worth a try.

Eternal Daydreamer
21st December 2005, 5:54 AM
A great way to inspire yourself to write big stories is to write one-shots in your down time. After all, nothing says 'I'm still writing' like small outlets of your creativity that may just help reinspire yourself yet again.

Jeezum Junk Jenkins! It's like a vicious cycle, and is worth a try.
That's basically restating what I said but it's the same thing.

Writers block may stop a story for a while but it may give birth to a different but greater story.

High Commander Solomon
21st December 2005, 6:02 AM
Maybe. But I think my way works better. I haven't written a bad story since!

RaZoR LeAf
21st December 2005, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately I don't. That's why i've not written any new Zelda yet, am no where near completing a first chapter of Omega and haven't RP'd in ages. It's going away now though, as I've managed to write some of a humour fic, but i'm hoping i'll be back on track soon.

Silawen
21st December 2005, 1:12 PM
Like others said, Enya. Just any music that makes you dream.

Other good strategies are reading, watching, and doing the things that made you interested in the fandom to start with. This includes going through what made you think of the plot, what inspired you to start it.

I tend to read good fanfiction, listen to music, and play the game to get back into the mood. Good luck! :)

Knightblazer
21st December 2005, 1:14 PM
Gah. Writer's block- any author's nightmare.

What do I do when I have it? (Which is very often, since I have holiday HW pilied on top as well. GAHHH!!! Secondary School is ebil) I usually play a bit, chatter to any random people (Usually Bron or Felix XDXD) Or RP, or do a couple of available requests... or... hmm... well, virtually anything humanly possible to keep my mind off writing. ^^; I hardly listen to music, but it does help me from time to time. Umm... well, thing is, I have a whole line of events, and just can't connect em' together (Which would already call Writer's block for me) ^^;

Dragonfree
21st December 2005, 1:44 PM
Depends on what kind of writer's block it is.

Writer's block for one fic: Write another one, preferrably a different genre (having difficulties with The Quest for the Legends so I've been churning out humourous one-shots and Type Chart chapters).

Writer's block for everything: Do something else, like spriting or writing guides for my site.

Plot block (can't think of what's going to happen next as opposed to just not being able to write it properly): Abandon the fic. Thankfully, that's only happened once, and now I'm actually going to try that fic again.

Faerie
22nd December 2005, 8:02 PM
There's already a topic for this. A long dead topic, but it's exactly the same.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=82869

Basically what I said there. Yeah.

indigestible_wad
22nd December 2005, 8:42 PM
Last Minute Panic. Give yourself a deadline and follow it through. Or just start writing. That's all you really can do to ease the pain.

Faerie if anyone replied to that topic, they would be breaking the rules that state not to post a month after the last post.