PDA

View Full Version : 4Kids will no longer be dubbing Pokemon

Water Pokemon Master
23rd December 2005, 7:55 PM
From PPN:

NEW YORK (December 23, 2005) - 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE) and Pokémon USA, Inc., announced today that they have agreed not to renew the Pokémon representation agreement set to expire on December 31, 2005. Beginning in 2006, Pokémon USA, Inc.’s in-house licensing group will handle all Pokémon licensing outside of Asia.Pokemon USA

“We felt it was in the best interest of the Pokémon property for Pokémon USA, Inc., to assume all aspects of licensing,” said Akira Chiba, President of Pokémon USA, Inc. “This was a brand management decision. We would like to thank 4Kids for all of its great work over the last eight years in helping to establish Pokémon as one of the leading children’s brands in the world.”

“4Kids has had a successful eight-year exclusive relationship with the Pokémon property that will be expiring at year end,” said Alfred R. Kahn, Chairman and CEO of 4Kids Entertainment. “Over the next month, 4Kids will assist Pokémon USA, Inc., in its transition to in-house representation. We wish Pokémon USA much success going forward.”

Under the terms of the expiring Pokémon USA, Inc. - 4Kids representation agreement, 4Kids will continue to receive commissions for the next several years on payments made under existing Pokémon license agreements whose term expires after December 31, 2005. It is expected that commissions earned by 4Kids from the Pokémon property will decline over the course of the next several years. 4Kids will also continue next year to produce the current eighth season of Pokémon television episodes.

4Kids said it will still receive commissions over the next several years from existing Pokemon license deals that will expire after Dec. 31, 2005, but said commissions from Pokemon are expected to decline over the next several years.

Pokemon, first launched in Japan in 1996 on Nintendo's Game Boy video game console, was introduced in North America in 1998. The character has generated over $25 billion in worldwide retail sales, fueled by playing cards, a television show and other merchandise. 4Kids held the Pokemon license for eight years.

----------

EDIT: Nevermind, 4Kids is not losing their license to dub Pokemon. The dub will remain the same. PUSA is just going to take over merchandising, which 4Kids previously did.

Chris
23rd December 2005, 7:59 PM
...This is indeed a Merry Christmas.

Holy hell. Maybe now we'll see an even close to original dub. Let's pray the original music comes back and cuts and censors are next to none existant (since they're small, unnecessary ones to begin with). ;-;

Phantom_Bugsy
23rd December 2005, 8:02 PM
HALL-E-LUJAH!

Now maybe we won't keep hearing the SAME voices over and over. o____o AND maybe it won't suck :D

Swifty
23rd December 2005, 8:02 PM
I heard this over IRC. I was like "OH SHI-" after reading the press release.

I've grown rather attached to Rachel Lillis and Veronica Taylor. Here's hoping Pokemon USA will finally release subbed dual-track DVDs of Pokemon instead of dub-only volumes.

Magus
23rd December 2005, 8:04 PM
This is for real? :) Wow, it's about time.

Torchic23
23rd December 2005, 8:06 PM
I heard this over IRC. I was like "OH SHI-" after reading the press release.

I've grown rather attached to Rachel Lillis and Veronica Taylor. Here's hoping Pokemon USA will finally release subbed dual-track DVDs of Pokemon instead of dub-only volumes.

Getting a new company means new voices?!?!?!?!? I am so mad right now. I personally like 4kids. I don't really want anyhting to change! Nobody could possibly replace Veronica Taylor!

Feity
23rd December 2005, 8:07 PM
IS THIS FOR ALL ANIMES?

holy hell, this is ****ing awsome

Gravy
23rd December 2005, 8:08 PM
I doubt they're going to change the voice actors. The voice DIRECTION is most certain, but the actors themselves? Erm...no. We'll still be stuck with Lisa Ortiz ~:FOREVER:~ :P

I'm crossing my fingers, toes and kidneys in hopes that the original score for the show will now remain totally intact. If there's anything about the original version thats great, then its the background music. Apart from the lack of it in the dub, and some of the awful voices 4Kids assigned to some of the pokémon, that was really about the only thing wrong with it.
...though its a shame that they don't seem to be using the theme for Fortree anymore in the japanese version. Seems like that one is never going to make it to the western eardrums :/

Eh, I'm not really sure how to react to the news though. I mean, I'm not as fond of 4Kids work as the next guy, but its not like these people have ever dubbed a show before, correct? So we have absolutely no idea how they plan on handling this.

Chris
23rd December 2005, 8:10 PM
Just Pokémon ones.

Folks, do remember not all of the voices on Pokémon are bound to 4Kids. Veronica Taylor's done anime work OUTSIDE of 4Kids' licenses. As have a few others. There's a chance Nintendo may even rehire the current staff of VAs.

Although this leads to the possibility of better voice direction, original music, less cutting and censoring, NO STUPID ERRORS (I guess they MUST have heard about the "Arbok evolves into Seviper").

RandomCharizard
GOOD F*CKING GOD.

irw54i650uj5u
u670i76
i67
6i
76ki67
[u8ki76

Erm,this is truly amazing.
Just a question what other anime's has PUSA dubed?

PDL
this is pretty big...

but as long as they still air it on KidsWB, I wouldn't mind...

I guess the VAs needed a break from it anyway, since they're now dubbing a number of other shows, and being hired by Sega...

+Chaos Blade+
23rd December 2005, 8:11 PM
...This is indeed a Merry Christmas.

Holy hell. Maybe now we'll see an even close to original dub. Let's pray the original music comes back and cuts and censors are next to none existant (since they're small, unnecessary ones to begin with). ;-;

Yes it is, Chris.

And there were censors? You mean Pokémon in Japan is TV-PG or something? *confused*

HALL-E-LUJAH!

Now maybe we won't keep hearing the SAME voices over and over. o____o AND maybe it won't suck :D

AMEN!

Yes. Hopefully.

Torchic23
23rd December 2005, 8:12 PM
NO STUPID ERRORS (I guess they MUST have heard about the "Arbok evolves into Seviper").

Now that's something I'm not gonna miss

Heracross
23rd December 2005, 8:12 PM
Talk about a Christmas miracle. This is probably the best thing to ever happen to Pokémon's American branch. Maybe without 4Kids messing things up, we can have even some culture back in the original version again.

Chris
23rd December 2005, 8:14 PM
Just a question what other anime's has PUMA dubed?
PUSA is just handling the license. For all we know, they could be hiring a studio group to dub this, similar to how Viz would acquire the license to a show and have Oceans Group dub the voices.

And there were censors? You mean Pokémon in Japan is TV-PG or something? *confused*
Certainly not. However, 4Kids did feel the need to snip away at utterly ridiculous things either for time or just for the hell of it.

And yanno, this is gonna be a problem for 4Kids. All they've got now is YGO! to really bring in merchandise money and probably Sonic games. Without their biggest cash cow and the drop in their stocks, this could present a problem for them.

Swifty
23rd December 2005, 8:16 PM
I mean, I'm not as fond of 4Kids work as the next guy, but its not like these people have ever dubbed a show before, correct? So we have absolutely no idea how they plan on handling this.It really makes me wonder how Pokemon USA is going to localize and produce a motion picture production in-house when they're primarily a marketing company. :\

Something tells me that they're going to outsource and move production to some outside company while still managing to possess creative control over the project.

Haruka-chan
23rd December 2005, 8:17 PM
From PPN: NEW YORK (December 23, 2005) - 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE) and Pokémon USA, Inc., announced today that they have agreed not to renew the Pokémon representation agreement set to expire on December 31, 2005. Beginning in 2006, Pokémon USA, Inc.’s in-house licensing group will handle all Pokémon licensing outside of Asia.Pokemon USA “We felt it was in the best interest of the Pokémon property for Pokémon USA, Inc., to assume all aspects of licensing,” said Akira Chiba, President of Pokémon USA, Inc. “This was a brand management decision. We would like to thank 4Kids for all of its great work over the last eight years in helping to establish Pokémon as one of the leading children’s brands in the world.” “4Kids has had a successful eight-year exclusive relationship with the Pokémon property that will be expiring at year end,” said Alfred R. Kahn, Chairman and CEO of 4Kids Entertainment. “Over the next month, 4Kids will assist Pokémon USA, Inc., in its transition to in-house representation. We wish Pokémon USA much success going forward.” Under the terms of the expiring Pokémon USA, Inc. - 4Kids representation agreement, 4Kids will continue to receive commissions for the next several years on payments made under existing Pokémon license agreements whose term expires after December 31, 2005. It is expected that commissions earned by 4Kids from the Pokémon property will decline over the course of the next several years. 4Kids will also continue next year to produce the current eighth season of Pokémon television episodes. 4Kids said it will still receive commissions over the next several years from existing Pokemon license deals that will expire after Dec. 31, 2005, but said commissions from Pokemon are expected to decline over the next several years. Pokemon, first launched in Japan in 1996 on Nintendo's Game Boy video game console, was introduced in North America in 1998. The character has generated over $25 billion in worldwide retail sales, fueled by playing cards, a television show and other merchandise. 4Kids held the Pokemon license for eight years. PUSA also is taking control of the TCG on January 1st. Thus, this means PUSA will have control over ALL aspects of Pokemon. This might be a good thing. I hope we will still have the same VAs, but it is probably doubtful. Thank god! Praise the lord! Hallejuah! :D This is the greatest present yet. But I have one question. Will Pokemon still be on Kids!WB?

Torchic23
23rd December 2005, 8:20 PM
I'd hope so, where else would they put it?

Swifty
23rd December 2005, 8:21 PM
THank god! Praise the lord! Hallejuah! :D This is the greatest present yet. But I have one question. Will Pokemon still be on Kids!WB?
Dude, Time Warner is going to kick and scream if PUSA tries to move Pokemon on another network or tries to get it syndicated again.

Honestly, there's only two networks Pokemon can be on so it can be easily accessed by the broadcast Saturday Morning cartoon audience: Fox Studios and Warner Brothers. FoxKids is already dominated by 4Kid's which leaves Pokemon to be on Kid's WB, regardless of who owns it or not.

xXFallenButterflyXx
23rd December 2005, 8:22 PM
THANK YOU LORD! Maybe we'll be able to see rice balls instead of sandwiches now. -_-

~;173; Fallen

Torchic23
23rd December 2005, 8:23 PM
THANK YOU LORD! Maybe we'll be able to see rice balls instead of sandwiches now. -_-

~;173; Fallen

We do see rice balls [A Tail with a Twist]

Chris
23rd December 2005, 8:25 PM
We do see rice balls [A Tail with a Twist]
In a later episode, a riceball was edited into a penut butter and jelly sandwich.

PDL
23rd December 2005, 8:25 PM
when should we expect the change in the dubbing (if there is going to be a change) now that PUSA is taking over the anime from 4kids?

EDIT:

In a later episode, a riceball was edited into a penut butter and jelly sandwich.

we also saw a riceball intact in an episode after that...

Slypher
23rd December 2005, 8:27 PM
I wonder if these new dubbers won't screw up the dubbing process, considering they have no experince dubbing, they could easily screw it up. Meh, I don't care too much about the Anime, but this will be intersting, cause the 4kids dub of Pokemon was amazing compared to the other things they dubbed, it was one their better dubs...(Why coudn't it have been One Piece that could have left 4kids?). Also, 4kids just lost one of their most important franchise, 4kids is already losing alot of money and this is just the first major bullet for 4kids. It could go bankrupt if this continues.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
23rd December 2005, 8:28 PM
This be the second strain in the Nintendo-4Kids relationship: The first being 4Kids TV abruptly pulling F-Zero from the line-up.

Gravy
23rd December 2005, 8:28 PM
when should we expect the change in the dubbing (if there is going to be a change) now that PUSA is taking over the anime from 4kids?
It says somewhere in that block of text that 4Kids have it up until the 8th season. Which means Pokémon USA would take over a few episodes into the Frontier Saga. The Sneasel/Mr.Mime ep I think?

RandomCharizard
23rd December 2005, 8:29 PM
I wonder if these new dubbers won't screw up the dubbing process, considering they have no experince dubbing, they could easily screw it up. Meh, I don't care too much about the Anime, but this will be intersting, cause the 4kids dub of Pokemon was amazing compared to the other things they dubbed, it was one their better dubs...(Why coudn't it have been One Piece?)
EE Already said PUSA WON'T be dubbing it.
PUSA is just handling the license. For all we know, they could be hiring a studio group to dub this, similar to how Viz would acquire the license to a show and have Oceans Group dub the voices.

Haruka-chan
23rd December 2005, 8:29 PM
In a later episode, a riceball was edited into a penut butter and jelly sandwich. WTF is a penut, Elric? Anyway, would they put it on CN?

Chris
23rd December 2005, 8:30 PM
we also saw a riceball intact in an episode after that...
Although through out these 8 years, there have been few times where they've actually been refered to as riceballs rather than oddball foods.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
23rd December 2005, 8:30 PM
With 4Kids selling their interest in PUSA (they are a minority owner), maybe Pokemon could be part of a revitalized ABC Monday Night Line-up now that Monday Night Football is going to ESPN (cough)...

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 8:32 PM
OH GOD, this is DBZ ALL OVER AGAIN!

If this means all the voice actors will change, then I am finished with the dub.

After hearing the main characters have the same voices for the last 8 seasons, I cannot bare to hear them sound differently. This news is horrible.

Swifty
23rd December 2005, 8:33 PM
Although through out these 8 years, there have been few times where they've actually been refered to as riceballs rather than oddball foods.
Yeah, that's when they were backed into a corner in that Farfetch'd episode way back in Kanto when they actually showed Brock making the "donuts."

I can imagine the screenwriters while localizing that episode: "Oh... Shi-" :D

RandomCharizard
23rd December 2005, 8:36 PM

If this means all the voice actors will change, then I am finished with the dub.

After hearing the main characters have the same voices for the last 8 seasons, I cannot bare to hear them sound differently. This news is horrible.
CC,It'll be crazy if after 8 years they decide to change the VAs. Well for the Main Characters anyway. I wouldnt mind hearing diffrent voices for Misty and Tracy when Ash and co. goes back to pallet for a while.

Chris
23rd December 2005, 8:38 PM

Unlike DBZ, we may be seeing a BETTER dubbing company. Remember that with DBZ, it was ALWAYS under FUNimation. Just that they had Saban with them. Pokémon, however, has always been under just 4Kids. Now it's going under Nintendo's PUSA.

If you can tollerate listening to both language voices, then a third shouldn't be difficult. o_O Just hope it actually turns out BETTER than what DBZ suffered with Season 3 or better than what 4Kids can cook up.

Besides, Nintendo's acknowledged the voices for the cast. I'd think they're gonna play it smart and rehire the cast. Afterall, they have the cash to do it. FUNi didn't have the cash to rehire the Oceans Group cast for DBZ.

asia_catdog_blue
23rd December 2005, 8:39 PM
This it wonderful news. It's a MIRACLE! Are Prayers have answered. I got to give the nwes to the Rainbow Resort site. Now Kirby needs the miracle.

cold_katanagirl
23rd December 2005, 8:41 PM
HOLY CRAP.

I knew Christmas would be interesting this year, that I did. =0

It's going to be really odd hearing new voices, but we won't have to hear the same voices all over and over again. There might be... A VARIETY.

OMG.

Seriously though, about the voices... I'm not all that bothered about that.

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 8:42 PM
I just would not be able to tolerate hearing all the characters with different voices. I hope Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lilis, and Eric Stuart are rehired.

All they need is better voice direction, and these 3 will be as good as they ever were.

If all the voices change, this will be the worst thing to happen to the dub since ever. They'll pretty much kill the audience.

Chaka27
23rd December 2005, 8:47 PM
I hope they keep Taylor and the others^^

Chris
23rd December 2005, 8:47 PM
I certainly hope Mr. Stuart isn't rehired. He's the equivalency of Christopher Sabat..only..really bad. o_O; If he went back to his old style with James, I'd tollerate him. But his current direction is unacceptable, especially since he's using it for a lot of roles.

If all the voices change, this will be the worst thing to happen to the dub since ever. They'll pretty much kill the audience.
I'm sorry, but no. That's the biggest load of BS and nothing more than exaggeration. The WORST thing to happen to the dub was Legend of Thunder. Do remember that the audience is also composed of people who HATE some of the current voice casts. ;\

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 8:49 PM
I remember how alienated people were when DBZ Season 3 first started.

Although, this press release doesn't say anything about the actual dub does it? Hopefully the main VA's are carried over.

MasterJedi
23rd December 2005, 8:50 PM
As long as they keep the voices for the main characters (including Misty, Tracey, Proffesor Oak and Delia) I really don't care. If they do it will totally ruin the show.

Swifty
23rd December 2005, 8:51 PM
Do remember that the audience is also composed of people who HATE some of the current voice casts. ;\What, like the 10% of the current audience? ;|

Chris
23rd December 2005, 8:53 PM
If they do it will totally ruin the show.
Because we all know the edits and stupidity over the years that 4Kids has presented isn't ruining the show for some of us already. ;\ Right.

Again, there's absolutely NOTHING known except 4Kids no longer holds the license and now Nintendo's PUSA does and that the last of 4Kids' work will be Season 8.

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 8:53 PM
And do we know how the dub will be handled? How do you know Pokemon USA won't dumb the anime down even more? They could potentially edit out most impact scenes, shorten battle scenes, and have the characters say even more retarded lines.

You people assume that we'll get the original music now and everything will be gold, where is the proof? How do you know this won't be a horrible decision?

Well you people got your wish, I hope you can live with it now.

The Big Al
23rd December 2005, 8:54 PM
Pinch me I'm dreaming. *pinched*

Oh please let this be true. Right now, I'm just glad for the change.

Now I have hope Matt Millen will be kicked to the curb.

Orion-Sama
Interesting...

I really have no complaints about the current Dub. Whomever dubs it in Mexico makes a superb job. They imprint several tidbits, cultural references and awesome voices in pretty much every chapter. A fun factor the USA Dub would only dream to have... but maybe that's just me.

My only gripe was with things such as editing scenes, changing names (Like the infamous donuts here. I can't recall them being named other than Rice Balls in the Mexican Dub, though. Maybe only once...) and banning certain chapters (Three might have been fillers, but still... and the only one that should've been banned is the one that's also banned in Japan: Porygon's. Ohh well...). Still, those were few and far in-between. I can't help to notice how the Anime went even more stale lately, though. Here's hoping this allows cool things like japanese culture and rather surreal, yet great chapters to return more frequently.

It also means Hinata won't be edited in any way... :D though the NOA turds edited Rui. So... uncertain.

All in all, great news. :)

Chris
As far as I can see, no one said it was a definate thing. o_O All everyone's been saying was that they hope this'll now change things for the better.

jolteonjak
23rd December 2005, 8:55 PM
All I have to say is Adan and Noland better have a hot voice when their episodes air.

Heracross
23rd December 2005, 8:55 PM
At least with this decision there's a chance the dub will be good. Had they stuck with 4Kids there's no chance that they would have improved.

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 8:56 PM
Wonder what this implies for 4kids in general, and their 4kidsTV block. Why would they let go of the show that makes them the most money?

Chris
23rd December 2005, 8:58 PM
As I said, this'll be a big hit to the stomach for them. Their stocks already took a dive recently and now the only cow they have is YGO, and possibly Sonic.

Perhaps Nintendo didn't want anyone but themselves to hold the licenses or wasn't liking how 4Kids was handling the show.

Swifty
23rd December 2005, 8:58 PM
Wonder what this implies for 4kids in general, and their 4kidsTV block. Why would they let go of the show that makes them the most money?
They be expanding like crazy. I think they saw it in their best interests to stop production on the show while still receiving a trickle of commision payments from licensing the intellectual property. All the while they scarf down other licenses they can get their hands on. Mix this in with PUSA being unhappy with their priorities in doing the dub, and as a result, you get today's news.

RandomCharizard
23rd December 2005, 8:59 PM
Wonder what this implies for 4kids in general, and their 4kidsTV block. Why would they let go of the show that makes them the most money?Well they had to change the 8th Season intro,NOA probaly yelled at them for that. Arbok > Serviper,NOA probaly yelled at them. The change of rice balls,NOA might have yelled at them. And last weeks wrong trainer show, might have got NOA up to *points to top*

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 8:59 PM
Why would Nintendo care how 4kids is handling the show, as long as every episode is dubbed?

If 4kids pulled a One Piece with Pokemon, I can understand Nintendo pulling the rights.

But since nearly every episode of Pokemon was dubbed, and nearly every episode is uncut bar some minor edits and time cuts, what was the problem?

Manene!
23rd December 2005, 9:00 PM
I hope they give Ash the Yugi guy's voice from Yu-Gi-Oh!

In all seriousness, I hope they change Max's voice. His voice has always bugged me.

So, This is a good thing? I'm kind of lost so, Can someone explain to me how?

Swifty
23rd December 2005, 9:03 PM
I think they discussed this on the Bulbacast. Apparently, 4Kid's placed Pokemon as 4th on their priority list which was insulting to the Pokemon Company.

Porygandrew
23rd December 2005, 9:04 PM
I'm jumping on the "Hope they bring back the BGM" bandwagon. I played music from the pokemon series to friends who hate the show and, without knowing what it was, they liked the music.
(And hopefully we won't get intros that are horribly mutilated :P)

Jo-Jo
23rd December 2005, 9:07 PM
>_< Agh. This could be a disaster waiting to happen. PLEASE let them not hire new VAs, at least not for the main characters. It'll be really jarring hearing different voices for them all. I'll be especially sad if Rachel Lillis leaves; her Jessie and Misty are the best voices on the show, IMO.

Gravy
23rd December 2005, 9:09 PM
...I still don't get why people are concerned about the voices being altered, when Nintendo and the Pokémon company have already used the 4Kids voice actors in quite a few of the games already. Seriously, they're obviously not going to throw away the ones that have been used on the characters for years now. You're worrying about the wrong things here.

Kecleon Freak
23rd December 2005, 9:10 PM
Hmm... as much as I hate 4Shame, I must admit that they did an OK job on Pokemon. I think the voices are alright as they are, but they need to get rid of Max's. His voice is incredibly annoying.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
23rd December 2005, 9:10 PM
I still looking for someone who agrees that Pokemon should move to ABC...

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 9:12 PM

Why should Pokemon move to a Disney owned network? Just because Miramax handles the movies?

Pokemon should stay on KidsWB or Cartoon Network. That's where the new episodes of Season 9 better debut.

HoennMaster
23rd December 2005, 9:13 PM
As long as they keep the voices for the main characters (including Misty, Tracey, Proffesor Oak and Delia) I really don't care. If they do it will totally ruin the show.

I don't know since those are 4Kids Voice actors

The Big Al
>_< Agh. This could be a disaster waiting to happen. PLEASE let them not hire new VAs, at least not for the main characters. It'll be really jarring hearing different voices for them all. I'll be especially sad if Rachel Lillis leaves; her Jessie and Misty are the best voices on the show, IMO.
Well, 4Kids will finish season 8 according to the agreement. So any changes will occure next fall.

Still, we might now have a shot at Japanese subtitled DVD's now that Pokemon USA is taking over marketing.

Kabuto
WOAH MY GOD. Never thought this day would come. This is great. Now maybe we'll get better music and a more accurate dub. I wonder who will take over.

Jo-Jo
23rd December 2005, 9:15 PM
...I still don't get why people are concerned about the voices being altered, when Nintendo and the Pokémon company have already used the 4Kids voice actors in quite a few of the games already. Seriously, they're obviously not going to throw away the ones that have been used on the characters for years now. You're worrying about the wrong things here.
Eh, that's something, then. That was the only thing I was really worried about. (...Although I wouldn't object if Drew's voice changed a tiny bit...)

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
23rd December 2005, 9:16 PM
Why should Pokemon move to a Disney owned network? Just because Miramax handles the movies?

Pokemon should stay on KidsWB or Cartoon Network. That's where the new episodes of Season 9 better debut.

No-ABC needs to replace Monday Night Football with something

Chris
23rd December 2005, 9:16 PM
IIRC, KidsWB has an agreement with the licensers of Pok&#233;mon's dub to CONTINUE providing more seasons. o_O The license for 4Kids to dub has just about run out, but not for KidsWB to air them.

Revolutionary Destiny
23rd December 2005, 9:17 PM

I agree. It would be so weird to hear all of the main characters with different voices.

Hopefully, they do everything they can to make the dub better, not worse. *prays*

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 9:18 PM
So Season 9 starts with that Sneasel/Mr. Mime episode in the BF saga right?

Well, the voices better continue from that episode onward.

Swifty
23rd December 2005, 9:19 PM
No-ABC needs to replace Monday Night Football with something
WHAT? Why would ABC replace a prime time show with a show obviously meant for afternoon broadcast?

No, Monday Night Football will be replaced with Arrested Development, provided ABC manages to pry it from Fox's cold dead fingers.

Kabuto
23rd December 2005, 9:21 PM
Ok 4Kids is leaving that means we may get new voices (although I pray not since we've been hearing the same voices for nine years). However, if they do get replaced, Ash should get a slightly deeper voice, and May should sound less like a squeaky mouse XD.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
23rd December 2005, 9:22 PM
WHAT? Why would ABC replace a prime time show with a show obviously meant for afternoon broadcast?

No, Monday Night Football will be replaced with Arrested Development, provided ABC manages to pry it from Fox's cold dead fingers.

Monday was meant for a family audience-and that's where MNF came in, with that moving to ESPN, Pokemon can be a viable replacement keeping Monday nights family-friendly on ABC

Heracross
23rd December 2005, 9:22 PM
Ok 4Kids is leaving that means we may get new voices (although I pray not since we've been hearing the same voices for nine years). However, if they do get replaced, Ash should get a slightly deeper voice, and May should sound less like a squeaky mouse XD.
More than likely we'll have the same voice actors as always. I just hope they tell Eric Stuart that his new James sucks.

Kabuto
23rd December 2005, 9:23 PM
Agreed if 4Kids leaves, replace James voice immediately.

Locke-Kefka
23rd December 2005, 9:23 PM
why should it be moved to ABC?! i don't want pokemon to be owned by them

The Big Al
23rd December 2005, 9:24 PM
And I hope they tell Eric Stuart that his new James sucks.
No kidding. I hope they also tell Veronia Taylor her original Ash voice was better. You're voice is supposed to get lower, not higher as you mature.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
23rd December 2005, 9:24 PM
why should it be moved to ABC?! i don't want pokemon to be owned by them

To replace ESPN-bound Monday Night Football

Jo-Jo
23rd December 2005, 9:25 PM
The only main character who might possibly get away with a voice change is Ash. They could get a male VA and just say that his voice broke. :p

Gravy
Well, the voices better continue from that episode onward.
Except for Sneasel. Because its dub voice sucked serious Aipom butt~

And I hope they tell Eric Stuart that his new James sucks.
I bet they're going to LOVE the..*ahem*...'badass' Grovyle :P And let us not forget the ever...erm...'adorable' sounding Combusken.

CyberCubed
I would like Ash to have a deeper voice, as long as Taylor continues to play May.

Kijuna
23rd December 2005, 9:30 PM
No, nonononono!

Dammit. >< Harley had one of the best dub voices I'd ever heard, up there with Naruto and Ed, they translated all the songs and gave them English lyrics... the only bad things 4Kids ever did with the show were changing the music and Pok&#233;mon Live, and maybe those banned episodes. Pok&#233;mon of America better do a good job or I'll eat them.

Though the *******s deserve to die for killing Magical DoReMi.

Kabuto
23rd December 2005, 9:30 PM
Oh yeah that could mean Pokemon VA changes also. This will either be a miracle or a disaster.

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 9:31 PM
I'm leaning toward a disaster, this whole thing sounds like a trainwreak waiting to happen.

Heracross
23rd December 2005, 9:31 PM
No, nonononono!

Dammit. >< Harley had one of the best dub voices I'd ever heard, up there with Naruto and Ed, they translated all the songs and gave them English lyrics... the only bad things 4Kids ever did with the show were changing the music and Pokémon Live, and maybe those banned episodes. Pokémon of America better do a good job or I'll eat them.

Though the *******s deserve to die for killing Magical DoReMi.
The only song they ever translated was Chiisaki Mono. All the others they simply replaced. :P

Kabuto
23rd December 2005, 9:33 PM
At first I was happy but if the VAs are replaced the show is doomed.

Geki
23rd December 2005, 9:33 PM
Wow, I never thought I'd see the day the 4kids gives up Pokemon. Well, I hope the characters get different voices except Ash, I love his voice. I also hope that Corphish and Grovyle keep theirs too. And kidswb will always air Pokemon probably, either that or fox will. And it will always air on Saturday mornings.

It does kind of suck though, I don't want a show that I've been watching for years nearly every week to be changed into **** (Hopefully it won't). I just hope Pokemon still airs on wb or fox and that it will be better dubbed.

Geki
23rd December 2005, 9:34 PM
I'm leaning toward a disaster, this whole thing sounds like a trainwreak waiting to happen.

I agree with Cybercubed. The whole show can fall apart just like that if they do something wrong.

The Big Al
The only main character who might possibly get away with a voice change is Ash. They could get a male VA and just say that his voice broke. :p
Considering he's got to be thirteen by now, that would work.

Swifty
Well look on the bright side guys. At least the raws will never change... Right? :p

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 9:35 PM
Wonder what theme song Season 9 will use, since 4kids already used the BF theme.

Hopefully Pokemon USA won't screw up the theme songs either.

Kabuto
23rd December 2005, 9:35 PM
Yeah, We've been watching it for a really long time. I can't say I loved it all the time but I definietly don't want it ruined.

Geki
23rd December 2005, 9:36 PM
Yeah, the themes could be replaced with rap like One Piece's theme. Imagine that.

Heracross
23rd December 2005, 9:37 PM
Yeah, We've been watching it for a really long time. I can't say I loved it all the time but I definietly don't want it ruined.
Too late for that.

Gravy
23rd December 2005, 9:37 PM
Yeah...So I'll repeat myself shall I? :)

They won't change the voices. They'll re-hire all vital voice actors. They've used a good majority of the voices in the games. They won't tarnish 8 years of continuity. You're worrying about the wrong things.

Kabuto
23rd December 2005, 9:38 PM
Gravy has a point they probably won't replace voice actors that have been doing a good job for nine years. I'm just worried because they COULD.

Geki
23rd December 2005, 9:39 PM

They won't change the voices. They'll re-hire all vital voice actors. They've used a good majority of the voices in the games. They won't tarnish 8 years of continuity. You're worrying about the wrong things.

Are you positive they won't change the VA's? You never know, maybe the VA's don't even want to do the job anymore, like Gary's in Japan. And, people should be worrying about things like these. It's not going to be the same dub everyone's known for years.

Heracross
23rd December 2005, 9:40 PM
It's not going to be the same dub everyone's known for years.
I still don't see how that's bad. Sure, they would mess it up just as much as 4Kids, but there's also vast room for improvement.

Geki
23rd December 2005, 9:42 PM
I still don't see how that's bad. Sure, they would mess it up just as much as 4Kids, but there's also vast room for improvement.

You do have a good point. They could make more cultural reference's and things. They could also POSSIBLY show the Prof.Oak thing after the episodes over, like in Japan.

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 9:42 PM
Would you want all the Japanese VA's to be replaced someday? I think not.

All Eric Stuart needs is a better voice director and his James and Brock will be fine.

Rachael Lilis already does a perfect Misty and Jessie.

Veronica Taylor's Ash just needs a deeper voice. Her May is perfect, as it sounds similar to her Japanese voice and suits her character well.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
23rd December 2005, 9:43 PM
GOD DOES EXIST!!!

My only problems with this are:
Who will be the new VAs?
who will dub the show now?

how do you know that tho?

Geki
23rd December 2005, 9:45 PM
Would you want all the Japanese VA's to be replaced someday? I think not.

All Eric Stuart needs is a better voice director and his James and Brock will be fine.

Rachael Lilis already does a perfect Misty and Jessie.

Veronica Taylor's Ash just needs a deeper voice. Her May is perfect, as it sounds similar to her Japanese voice and suits her character well.

Sometimes I can't stand May's voice though, it's too high-pitched and sqeaky at times. I like Ash's though, but like you said, maybe a little deeper considering that he is a male and all. Brock's voice is awesome, I never want it to change, as well as James, even though everyone hates his voice. I've always loved his AG voice personally. Max's voice can change for all I care, I never even really pay attention to him anyway. Misty and Jessie's voices are great, possibly the best on the show. I'd also like to see Oak's voice remain the same as it always was.

V Faction
23rd December 2005, 9:47 PM
Wow. Jeez.... Ain't that something.

I'm a little sickened by most of the "Thank God! No more 4Kids!" posts. Put a sock in it people.

My only worry, as with others, was VA continuity. They keep the vast majority of voice actors in and I'll be happy dog.

What should we worry about then? I'm not exactly sure.

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 9:48 PM
I'm with V, as long as the major characters keep the same voice actors, then I don't care. I may want Ash to have a male VA now, but that's about it.

If they can keep the same VA's, give us the Japanese music, update the BF opening like the Japanese version is, and have correct Trainer's Choices or whatever all the time, then I'll be happy. Uncut DVDs are also a possibility.

The Big Al
23rd December 2005, 9:52 PM
I'd like it if they kept the Japanese eye catches.

V Faction
23rd December 2005, 9:54 PM
I don't care what they use as eyecatches, as long as they pick something that works.

Gravy
23rd December 2005, 9:56 PM
how do you know that tho?
Because Nintendo have already used them on a number of occassions, AS I ALREADY STATED =O

Mamoru
23rd December 2005, 9:57 PM
Alright everyone, stop celebrating.

This change in management concerns only marketing, distribution and licensing. This does not mean that 4Kids will stop dubbing the series. Indeed, the article confirms that they are ("4Kids will also continue next year to produce the current eighth season of Pok&#233;mon television episodes."). All that's happening is that 4Kids is handing back the rights to license the series (and its merchandise) outside of Asia.

Now, there is a ray of shining light in this however. This opens the way up for Pok&#233;mon USA to commission production of a subtitled version of the show for release outside of Asia. I don't think I need to say how good a thing this is.

MidnightScott
23rd December 2005, 9:59 PM
I hope they start showing openings and endings with translated music sung by the Japanese who do the Openings & Endings - they did that with a CD for Inuyasha and the songs sound pretty damn good. - Lets also hope for original music people - though they play the Japanese music its not the same music in the Japanese versions...

Anyway - this is great news. We shouldn't worry about the VA's because they will most definately be rehired back. We also need more variety so minor characters don't all sound like eachother.

Lets also hope the episodes won't be chopped up. I also knew one day Nintendo would take over the Show as they took over the TCG also...

Praise for us! ^_^

But 4Kids messed up with the 8th Season Opening - they used the 9th Season Opening mostly and showed the new Pok&#233;mon. (Nintendo probably got ****** about the new Pok&#233;mon being revealed already...)

~Scott;229;

Silver Ryu
23rd December 2005, 9:59 PM
Well, I guess this is a good thing. I guess it'll still be on Kid's WB then. Mmkay, I'm all right with it. Hey, I assume they'll be keeping their names, right? And I'm sure some of the VAs will be the same.

Well, I suppose it's a good thing. Even though I'm not one of those ZOMG 4kidz SUXORZZZ!!!!1 Tey ruin EVEREYTING!!!11one people, I'm still good with it. ^^

S.Suikun
23rd December 2005, 10:02 PM
Does this mean the James gay jokes will finally stop being run into the ground? Thank MF-ing God.

Although, I'm left to wonder how far into the series 4Kids has already dubbed? I'm hoping they haven't made it to the Hoenn League yet (Must...save...Kaede...)

The Big Al
23rd December 2005, 10:03 PM

This change in management concerns only marketing, distribution and licensing. This does not mean that 4Kids will stop dubbing the series. Indeed, the article confirms that they are ("4Kids will also continue next year to produce the current eighth season of Pokémon television episodes."). All that's happening is that 4Kids is handing back the rights to license the series (and its merchandise) outside of Asia.

Now, there is a ray of shining light in this however. This opens the way up for Pokémon USA to commission production of a subtitled version of the show for release outside of Asia. I don't think I need to say how good a thing this is.
A few of us have already stated the current season will be dubbed by 4Kids. Then that contract comes up and its likely they won't renew because of the expense they have dubbing the anime won't have the merchadise to back them up.

intergalactic platypus
23rd December 2005, 10:04 PM
dont be such an optomist cybercubed. your being too hopeful, the excitement is overwhelming the other users. seriously, i think james needs to return to old form and mays voice needs to go. it annoys the hell out of me. but other then that the voices are ok, so i wont mind if the main cast stays as long as they get new filler voices

CyberCubed
23rd December 2005, 10:06 PM
Does this mean the James gay jokes will finally stop being run into the ground? Thank MF-ing God.

Although, I'm left to wonder how far into the series 4Kids has already dubbed? I'm hoping they haven't made it to the Hoenn League yet (Must...save...Kaede...)

Well 4kids is dubbing the rest of Hoenn and the first 8 or so episodes of the BF. Season 8 is probably already nearly finished by now.

Light-Dragon_Ryu
23rd December 2005, 10:19 PM
I am so F-ing glad this has happened!
Maybe we can get some good dubbed titles!
And also...Dare I say it...Could we get...Japanese theme songs!?(I could only wish)

I hope that most of the voice actors stay the same but i am so glad that we could get a veriety of new voices.

Satoshi
23rd December 2005, 10:19 PM
Huh....what!?? O_o; Well, this is a good thing to wake up to. :)

Maybe now, we'll MIGHT get a more accurate and better dub, with original music left intact, no stereotypical voices, no crappy wtf-edits, and onigiri that's actually onigiri, not a pastry/donut/eclair/sandwich thingy. OMGS :P

I do hope they keep some of the old VA's though, but I hope they save Kojirou's voice and tell Eric Stuart that his James voice sucks. =/

Heck, they'll might even start making uncut DVDs with subtitles. wtf

....But those are just speculations. XD

Actually, the dub that we know right now isn't all that bad, it's just all the (dialogue)edits and replacing of the original music that was bad about it. But, now that 4kids assumingly gave up the lisense, we might get a decent and more better dub.

Mamoru
23rd December 2005, 10:40 PM
A few of us have already stated the current season will be dubbed by 4Kids. Then that contract comes up and its likely they won't renew because of the expense they have dubbing the anime won't have the merchadise to back them up.

A few of you have, but no one seemed to be listening.

In any case, never ***-u-me anything. They're not handling the arrangements, but they're still recieving some money from ones which only expire for a while, and it's likely that for the next year or two, without the expense of arranging new licensing deals, their net returns from the existing deals will actually be greater.

After that...it is simply too early to say. They don't manage merchandising anymore, but they still manage video/DVD sales, as well as the distribution/sale of the show to networks, and it's now in their best interests to milk those for all it's worth. Given that, I find it highly unlikely that they would drop the series. Even if it makes less money now, they're not going to drop a successful property that continues to give them brand recognition on this scale, especially when they're wanting to hold onto their rights to produce English versions of all Nintendo related anime series. In an absolute worst case scenario, they drop it, and then are simply re-employed under contract by Nintendo to continue further production, because Nintendo would recognise the value of having the property maintain continuity with VA's, and don't have their own facilities to do this sort of thing to begin with.

MugenKeiji
23rd December 2005, 11:10 PM
Hmmm...I don't know what to say, except for *Plays "Pure Na Kokoro" from Sailormoon OST, mark 4:48* TIME FOR A CELEBRATION!

Pokemon USA might be pulling a Cloverway here, Loeffler and all the crap synth guys that work with 4Kids would be getting the boot. I mean Hirokazu Tanaka makes a handful of the music and he's the President of Creatures, if he owns any stock in the USA branch of Pokemon USA do you think he'd allow that rat b**tard to have his job back? Not if it means missing out the chance to dub the openings. Heck what about Juniichi Masuda? I'm sure he's mad that we won't be hearing remixes of his work from the games on the anime which means less association between the anime and the game.

The change in license COULD affect the dub and that change is due to two factors

1. Nintendo no longer needs 4Kids since Pokemon has peaked way back in 1999 in ratings and the fact that Nintendo has enough money from Pokemon to make it a subsidary company.

2. It's politics. If Pokemon Encore is still running, the change will most likely produce an English dub consistent to the Japanese version. I'm sure a lot of Japanese kids that wanted to learn English were confused by the changes.

Pokemon USA's takeover of the series could be consistent with Nintendo's Anime House starting business in 2006/2007. I guess (guess is the keyword here folks) that Nintendo will use the Pokemon USA branch specifically to dub anime it produces under the license as well.

This change in management concerns only marketing, distribution and licensing. This does not mean that 4Kids will stop dubbing the series. Indeed, the article confirms that they are ("4Kids will also continue next year to produce the current eighth season of Pokémon television episodes."). All that's happening is that 4Kids is handing back the rights to license the series (and its merchandise) outside of Asia.

Wait, if 4Kids doesn't have the license doesn't that mean their dub expires? I mean it's not like Nintendo doesn't have people working in New York to come to get Taj working again. I would think that when Pioneer lost its Tenchi license that Pioneer would stop DUBBING Tenchi when FUNimation takes the reins, or when DiC lost its Sailormoon license that DiC would stop dubbing Sailormoon when Cloverway/Optimum stomps in. If the article mentions that Pokemon Season 8 will be dubbed by 4Kids and 4Kids license will soon expire and 4Kids does provide the job of dubbing some anime as part of a toy line-up then SOMETHING must be up right? Stop me if I'm wrong here.

Now, there is a ray of shining light in this however. This opens the way up for Pokémon USA to commission production of a subtitled version of the show for release outside of Asia. I don't think I need to say how good a thing this is.

No, that just seems impossible to me. Then again Beyblade ended up getting a subtitled version and that was aimed at children. Folding my hands in a relaxed posture, I simply breathe "perhaps".

I'm a little sickened by most of the "Thank God! No more 4Kids!" posts. Put a sock in it people.

Don't interfere with my moment. At least give me a chance to celebrate.

What should we worry about then? I'm not exactly sure.

The actors? HA! If they come back they come back, if they don't? Well...serves them right for effing over Sonic.

ProtoManEXE88
23rd December 2005, 11:10 PM
I've been too adjusted to the voices for 8 years now for them to change. That's the only thing I hope they keep... Japanese endings and openings would be great, but seeing as how Pokemon would still air on WB, probably means that they'll still make crappy songs (some of them are alright, but half of them are pretty bad).

The Big Al
23rd December 2005, 11:20 PM
Kid's WB only wants it to fit their rating of Y. Japanese openings and endings wouldn't hurt that and the show for the most part is family friendly and requires little true edits for a Y rating and almost none for CN's Y7 rating.

poke_girl
23rd December 2005, 11:23 PM
But what about the voices?
I don't think I could handle them suddenly totaly changing o__o;

Phantom Raichu
23rd December 2005, 11:23 PM
All right I think 4kids entertainment has got worse and worse over the years its the best for Pokemon

poke_girl
23rd December 2005, 11:28 PM
I'd laugh if it was worse then 4kids xD

Light-Dragon_Ryu
23rd December 2005, 11:30 PM
I'd laugh if it was worse then 4kids xD

Somehow I don't see it possible. The worst thing that they could do is drop Veronica Taylor.

Kamex
23rd December 2005, 11:30 PM
Wow, this is strange. I'm sorry, but if this did mean the voice actors would be replaced, then that would be terrible. I don't care how bad they were, they've been there for SO many years the VA's have practically fused with their main roles. Now if only the directors are changed, that could be the exact opposite. The voices would only get BETTER, and in some cases, that'd be a wild card. *coughJamescough*

But if the dubbing won't change at all, there really isn't much to be talking about.

Jesse GS the II
23rd December 2005, 11:31 PM
HAAA-LLELUJAH!

Could I have asked for a better Christmas present? Finally, the dark-hearted demon known to the masses as Alfred R. Kahn has loosened his grubby stranglehold on one of the most heavily mistreated anime shows of all time!

Maybe now I can watch the dub and not wince in pain.

Light-Dragon_Ryu
23rd December 2005, 11:33 PM
Maybe now I can watch the dub and not wince in pain.

We can only hope..

Lil Brother
23rd December 2005, 11:33 PM
Yeck. After the first post I was super-hyper but after reading six pages of intelligence saying "We don't know, this and this may happen!" I'm not so super-hyper anymore, meh. Aw well. Like someone who I forgot said it's better to be negative and "say I told you so!" and be pleasantly surprised when good things happen. XD

Light-Dragon_Ryu
23rd December 2005, 11:36 PM
Yeck. After the first post I was super-hyper but after reading six pages of intelligence saying "We don't know, this and this may happen!" I'm not so super-hyper anymore, meh. Aw well. Like someone who I forgot said it's better to be negative and "say I told you so!" and be pleasantly surprised when good things happen. XD

Unfortunetly I feel the same way. I'm still happy, but some change could be bad.

poke_girl
23rd December 2005, 11:38 PM
Somehow I don't see it possible. The worst thing that they could do is drop Veronica Taylor.
Yeah, it would be so weird for Ash to just change.. as well as everyone else.

Now I can only hope they do the same with Yu-gi-oh... tho it's abit late now, maybe if they'd restart it and do the begining all over again..

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
23rd December 2005, 11:41 PM
Wow. I saw this thread title and zoomed in at full speed. There is a god apperently...
I honestly hope they get new VAs, Ash is getting old (his voice)

Jesse GS the II
23rd December 2005, 11:50 PM
I genuinely do not care in the least if the voice cast changes (which it almost certainly won't - as numerous people have mentioned, it's probably only the voice DIRECTION that will change). If the post-4Kids episodes retain their Japanese cultural references, original background music, and full-length openings, closings, and eyecatches, all will be well.

And you know what else this means? If 4Kids isn't in charge of the dub any more, that means they won't be sending any more "do this, don't do that" notes to the Japanese production company...and the show would finally be allowed to be Japanese again. For all we know, this deal might just result in a return to the quality of the first year of the anime! And believe me, I've been waiting for that to happen for a long time.

poke_girl
23rd December 2005, 11:52 PM
Wow. I saw this thread title and zoomed in at full speed. There is a god apperently...
I honestly hope they get new VAs, Ash is getting old (his voice)
How can you hope such a thing o__o; of course it's going to get old after so many years, but peoples voices don't just change.. unless his voice is to break :P

Kamex
23rd December 2005, 11:54 PM
For all we know, this deal might just result in a return to the quality of the first year of the anime! And believe me, I've been waiting for that to happen for a long time.
So have I. IMO, the very BEST way things can turn out is if the voice actors (at least the main ones) remain, many new ones are also hired, and new voice directors are hired. Then leave in all the original music and don't make incompetent mistakes.

Other than that, the dub's been okay as far as I can see.

V Faction
23rd December 2005, 11:56 PM
Don't interfere with my moment. At least give me a chance to celebrate.
Your description fits you well.

Raziel
24th December 2005, 12:01 AM
Wow...

Well, since I don't watch the English dub, I don't care much for the voices, but it is so great that 4Kids isn't in charge of it anymore. Hopefully there will be no more pointless edits.

Water Pokemon Master
24th December 2005, 12:03 AM
I just talked to Mike Pollock and he said it's just the licensing of items. 4Kids used to handle the licensing when a company wanted to use Pokemon characters on a product, but now PUSA will. So, it really has nothing to do with the dub. It's just the company.

poke_girl
24th December 2005, 12:06 AM
I just talked to Mike Pollock and he said it's just the licensing of items. 4Kids used to handle the licensing when a company wanted to use Pokemon characters on a product, but now PUSA will. So, it really has nothing to do with the dub. It's just the company.
So... nothing is really going to change?

Celebration over then...

The Big Al
24th December 2005, 12:08 AM
So... nothing is really going to change?

Celebration over then...
We'll have to see when the dubbing contract expires.

Water Pokemon Master
24th December 2005, 12:11 AM
They aren't going to expire any sort of "dubbing contract." Nothing is going to change. I as well as others just misread the press release. The Pokemon anime will remain the same.

Light-Dragon_Ryu
24th December 2005, 12:16 AM
They aren't going to expire any sort of "dubbing contract." Nothing is going to change. I as well as others just misread the press release. The Pokemon anime will remain the same.
Hmm? Misread?

Team Rocket Admin
24th December 2005, 12:19 AM
This is great news. I guarantee you the Arbok<Seviper fiasco is what brought this whole deal into perspective.

DoctorOak
24th December 2005, 12:20 AM

All merchandise, however, will be under Nintendo's control under this change. Which means they have the access to release new toys/figures etc and more specifically, DVDs.

It's debatable if this will see subtitled Japanese releases though. Completely up to what Pokemon USA feel 'kids' could handle. In which case, Jirachi Wishmaker should be used as case-example.

I don't believe any young child converted to Satanism and burned down their houses because there were japanese lyrics in the credits.

Light-Dragon_Ryu
24th December 2005, 12:21 AM
This is great news. I guarantee you the Arbok<Seviper fiasco is what brought this whole deal into perspective.

When was this Arbok > Seviper fiasco?

Kanadian Kyuubi
24th December 2005, 12:23 AM
Finally, hopefully we have more original music, Symphonic Melody, better lines, and a much better experience for all of us! Merry Christmas, and may your 2006 be enlightened with better dubbing of One Piece (now that this pokiman stuff has been cleaned out of your head)!

Arbok>Seviper?
Season 7 debuted the Trainers Choice challenge to replace the "Who's That Pokemon?" eyecatch. This segment has been flamed on by many a Serebii members for its incorrect answers. In "A Fan with a Plan", the question goofed up and claimed that Arbok evolved into Seviper, the biggest goofup in 4Kids history (of dubbing Pokemon).

poke_girl
24th December 2005, 12:56 AM
It's not going to change everyone.. party is over ;-; we've all misread it.. so we can 'look forward' to more pointless edits, more pointless music switches.

Medea
24th December 2005, 1:02 AM
Oh crap, ran out of confetti...Hmm...*breaks some dishes*

Praise the Lord! I guess it's going to be a Merry Christmas afterall! This is some good news!

Light-Dragon_Ryu
24th December 2005, 1:03 AM
It's not going to change everyone.. party is over ;-; we've all misread it.. so we can 'look forward' to more pointless edits, more pointless music switches.
What do you mean Misread it??

poke_girl
24th December 2005, 1:16 AM
What do you mean Misread it??
Basicly, you all think it means other people are going to be dubbing Pokémon.. I don't think that's right, all it really means is people will have to go to PUSA and not 4kids to ask for permission to use Pokémon in a product.

Light-Dragon_Ryu
24th December 2005, 1:19 AM
Basicly, you all think it means other people are going to be dubbing Pok&#233;mon.. I don't think that's right, all it really means is people will have to go to PUSA and not 4kids to ask for permission to use Pok&#233;mon in a product.
Are you sure..?

Say it ain't so! I was sooo Happy to hear this!! T_T

Jesse GS the II
24th December 2005, 1:26 AM
Argh, yank the rug out from under me, why don't ya?

Well, it's really no skin off my nose either way, given that I don't even watch the dub, but it would have been nice for the American episodes to be decent for once.

Thriller
24th December 2005, 1:28 AM
Huh, when I first saw this thread I expected a whole bunch of "OMG! Tis meens Teh ShOw es Goin 2 get cancelld! Isle Comit SuIciDe if taht HaPpens!"

But like Archaic and a few others have been saying, I don't really expect much to change. Frankly I never really cared about how 4Kids was dubbing the show, I never minded the paint edits, James's "Gay" side, nor replacing the music. So long as it was dubbed in English I don't care what they'd do to it.

poke_girl
24th December 2005, 1:40 AM
Huh, when I first saw this thread I expected a whole bunch of "OMG! Tis meens Teh ShOw es Goin 2 get cancelld! Isle Comit SuIciDe if taht HaPpens!"

But like Archaic and a few others have been saying, I don't really expect much to change. Frankly I never really cared about how 4Kids was dubbing the show, I never minded the paint edits, James's "Gay" side, nor replacing the music. So long as it was dubbed in English I don't care what they'd do to it.
But the edits are so... so... Pointless!!!

The Big Al
24th December 2005, 1:44 AM
Alright people here's the deal.

4Kids has a contract to dub the Pokemon anime. So far, this has been unaffected by the license contract not being renewed. However, when the dub contract comes up for renewual is when we'll find out if 4Kids will give up the dubbing rights as well. Until then we're stuck with 4Kids (boo hiss).

I certainly believe Nintendo will be more willing to make subtitled DVD's if they see money to be made. So next year we should petition PUSA to release subtitled DVD's. It worked for Sailor Moon, it can work for Pokemon.

Light-Dragon_Ryu
24th December 2005, 1:52 AM
Alright people here's the deal.

4Kids has a contract to dub the Pokemon anime. So far, this has been unaffected by the license contract not being renewed. However, when the dub contract comes up for renewual is when we'll find out if 4Kids will give up the dubbing rights as well. Until then we're stuck with 4Kids (boo hiss).

I certainly believe Nintendo will be more willing to make subtitled DVD's if they see money to be made. So next year we should petition PUSA to release subtitled DVD's. It worked for Sailor Moon, it can work for Pokemon.
When exactly does their dub licence end?

The Big Al
24th December 2005, 1:56 AM
When exactly does their dub licence end?
Either this season or next season. I don't remeber which. However, when they fail to renew that is when we should really celebrate.

Phantom_Bugsy
24th December 2005, 2:01 AM
...they better not renew or I'll eat them alive. With ketchup, wut.

Chris
24th December 2005, 2:05 AM
You know, this might work out better. If Nintendo now has the marketing license for the show, they could add a little more to these DVDs. Since the movies are generally uncut, they could include dual audio on the DVDs. Heck, with 4Kids no longer bringing out DVDs, Nintendo could actually have them make uncut dubs for the DVDs. o_O

jolteonjak
24th December 2005, 2:18 AM

I'd say the worst thing they could do is keep Bonsly's original voice....

MugenKeiji
24th December 2005, 2:18 AM
Your description fits you well.
Thank you!

Light-Dragon_Ryu
24th December 2005, 2:26 AM
I'd say the worst thing they could do is keep Bonsly's original voice....
What's his voice sound like?

kingboo30
24th December 2005, 2:29 AM
What the hell?

This is a merry christmas indeed but as Al said, we should simply wait. Man, this show is where 4kids gets almost most of their money from. If they were to dump this......MAJOR slow downs for them.

rust
24th December 2005, 2:37 AM
Another nail in 4Kids coffin.

I hope they lose so much money they have to sell their licenses (Starting with One Piece and YGO/GX).

This is the best Christmas ever!

Thriller
24th December 2005, 2:45 AM
I wonder what Mr. "4Kids is Great!" Gaiash would have to say to this.

But the edits are so... so... Pointless!!!

I don't care, it doesn't affect me seeing a square instead of a Pokeball on Ash's badge case. Plus sometimes they have to paint edit if something like a toy is being used, example, in the Japanese counterpart of "Manectric Charge" May tried to win a Torchic doll, because of a law saying American Shows can't showcase any product for sale, 4Kids repainted it to show ribbon cases.

CyberCubed
24th December 2005, 2:47 AM
And how can that be blamed on 4kids? There's a law stating that shows cannot advertise real-life products, you honestly expect them to risk legal action?

The Big Al
24th December 2005, 3:02 AM
I think plushies are pushing it. I mean, dolls and stuffed animals are common prizes at state fairs. I think that was either the FCC being **** or 4Kids being overly cautious.

Though, I wonder if they could have had the original Pocket Monsters backgrounds to James' trading cards since they aren't sold in America.

Thriller
24th December 2005, 3:02 AM
Um, I was SUPPORTING 4Kids in that matter. I did say they had no real choice for edits like that.

BTW, see you in the Birthday Thread Cyber!

YoshiAngemon
24th December 2005, 4:08 AM
Well, once 4Kids loses Pokemon, Sonic X will be lost, and we might see Viz Media re-releasing the show, with the original music, and the ORIGINAL Game voices (Ryan Drummond as Sonic, with Mike Pollock as Dr. Eggman)! And One Piece's licence will expire early, and we'll end up getting a re-dub of One Piece by Viz Media, with Luffy sounding like Naruto Uzumaki. BELIEVE IT!

And if 4Kids loses its licence, and Al Khan's "glorious" empire gets crumbled, expect 4Kids to change to Shonen Jump Saturdays, with shows like Shonen Jump's BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo, Shonen Jump's One Piece, Shonen Jump's Naruto, Shonen Jump's Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, Shonen Jump's Hikaru no Go, Shonen Jump's DragonBall Z, and a few other Shonen Jump shows! All just to appease the TRUE Anime fans! And they'll put in some other Viz Media works as well, like Zatch Bell, and MegaMan: NT Warrior Stream! Doesn't that sound like a good piece of skill by Viz Media? The Shonen Jump manga will truly be the Cash Cow of Anime, so much that Uncut DVDs can be a bigger reality than we thought. BELIEVE IT!

PDL
24th December 2005, 4:21 AM
It be pretty crazy if PUSA decided to hire Sega's original Sonic voice cast for Pokemon... along with 4kids' original VAs...

but the chances of that are practically slim to nill... oh well, it's fun to dream...

YoshiAngemon
24th December 2005, 4:22 AM
I was talking about VIZ MEDIA hiring Sega's Sonic voices, for a re-release of "SONIC X," not Pokemon!

PDL
24th December 2005, 4:23 AM
I was talking about VIZ MEDIA hiring Sega's Sonic voices, for a re-release of "SONIC X," not Pokemon!

I know, I was suggesting how bizzare it would be though...

jolteonjak
24th December 2005, 4:24 AM
What's his voice sound like?

A dying animal crossed with a cat in heat...

shinneymeowth001
24th December 2005, 4:27 AM
MAYBE they'll finally give the old narator his job back; I hate the new one.

Heracross
24th December 2005, 4:30 AM
I thought the new one was fine. And it was obvious that he actually cared about fans' opinions since he used to be a member here.

CyberCubed
24th December 2005, 4:33 AM
Here's what Kahn has to say on the matter:

"4Kids has had a successful eight-year exclusive relationship with the Pokemon property that will be expiring at year end," said Alfred R. Kahn, Chairman and CEO of 4Kids Entertainment. "Over the next month, 4Kids will assist Pokemon USA, Inc., in its transition to in-house representation. We wish Pokemon USA much success going forward."

YoshiAngemon
24th December 2005, 4:38 AM
Well, it IS Mike Pollock, the Official Voice of Dr. Eggman (since Deem Bristow had died)! It could be better for Mike to just stick with Eggman.

UberSorcerer
24th December 2005, 4:57 AM
I really hope Sonic gets redubed, but segas using the 4kids actors, doughtful, but id be sad as I bought all the dvd's! THANK YOU MY LORD, THERE IS A GOD!, NO LONGER REPETITIVE SOUNDS TO POKEMON!

Light-Dragon_Ryu
24th December 2005, 5:07 AM
The dream is over. there will be NO change to the dubbing!

EDIT: I think someone should send this thread to 4kids. She the what we really think of them.

Heracross
24th December 2005, 5:12 AM
EDIT: I think someone should send this thread to 4kids. She the what we really think of them.
Wouldn't do any good. It would get sent straight to file thirteen and they'd never see the contents.

asia_catdog_blue
24th December 2005, 5:27 AM
Are you out of your DAMN mind?! I NEVER EVER want that to happen!!!

Disney owns WLS(ABC)?

asia_catdog_blue
24th December 2005, 5:42 AM
Anybody wish this miracle should happen to Kirby? I do.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
24th December 2005, 5:49 AM
Are you out of your DAMN mind?! I NEVER EVER want that to happen!!!

Disney owns WLS(ABC)?

Yes, WLS is an ABC O&O

Why Pokemon to ABC? The network needs a viable replacement for ESPN-bound Monday Night Football...

Chris
24th December 2005, 6:53 AM
And how can that be blamed on 4kids? There's a law stating that shows cannot advertise real-life products, you honestly expect them to risk legal action?
Despite the fact there's absolutely no exact proof on this and no one's actually given any evidence that such a law exists. The Pokémon Zukan are still around and even have electronic counterparts, those aren't edited. Watches with a Monster Ball design were left unaltered in a recent episode. YGO! Duel Discs are available to use as toys for the card game yet show all the time through out the show.

Baby_Biyomon
24th December 2005, 7:22 AM
true, even the tablets in the Memory arc dub have the same look as the real cards.

I hope 4kids loses the pokemon license, I'd love to see the old digimon VAs work on there just to slap Al Khan in the face

Water Pokemon Master
24th December 2005, 8:36 AM
You know, this might work out better. If Nintendo now has the marketing license for the show, they could add a little more to these DVDs. Since the movies are generally uncut, they could include dual audio on the DVDs. Heck, with 4Kids no longer bringing out DVDs, Nintendo could actually have them make uncut dubs for the DVDs. o_O

Problem with that is that 4Kids speeds up certain scenes in the movies. If you run the Japanese version and English version together, the English version eventually gets ahead of the Japanese version. So, the Japanese audio track wouldn't line up with what was going on, unless they sped that up as well.

Serebii
24th December 2005, 11:15 AM
Well since this thread is full of misinformed information (sorry WPM but you said it yourself, you misread it) i'm goin to close it

If you want to start a new thread about them losing the marketing and licensing rights then go ahead :)

Oh and that law against product placement, if it even existed, it doesn't anymore. What people have to do if they show products is negotiation of money with the company that owns the product. There is no law against this and if you actually watch other TV Shows you will see a lot of actual products being seen in tv shows such as Dr. Pepper, Guiness and other drinks aswell as random toys in tv shows and all that