Thread: Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Timeline - is it what it seems?

ThunderKanto93 Guest

Default Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Timeline - is it what it seems?

The dub is wrong in the timeline for yugioh. It is said a number of times that from the current season back its been four years. This is insane. This would mean that each duel pauses for 7 days and continues as normal. Another thing to disprove this is that in Battle City, Yugi says tomorrow is the finals. That is also crazy because the finals occur in 22+ episodes after this happens. This is the timeline that I think is possible. (I will also include the mysterious time change when the past is altered, though it will be hard to represent.)

5000 years ago - Egyptian times
    around 4998 years later - Duelist kingdom
    3 months later - dungendice/-----series
    5 months later - beggining of battle city
    2 days later - battle city (Kaiba's blimp)
    1 day later - Noah's virtual world
    1 day later - battle city (duel tower)
    4 months later - orichalcos saga
    3 months later - kc grand championship
    1 month later - beginning of dawn of the duel
    1-2 days later - altering the past
    a week later - ceremonial duel

As you can see, it all happens in at LEAST 1 1/2 years or around 2 if I am a little off.

Any thoughts, perhaps your timeline of events?

Years? I'd say months, judging that Yuugi is STILL in 10th grade like he was in the beginning. >_>

EDIT - MY timeline of events.

0 months| Putting together the Puzzle
    (40 days later| If including Death-T)
    3 months later| Duelist Kingdom
    24 days later| Dungeon Dice
    10 days later| Battle City
    (5 months later| If including the DOMA arc and Grand Prix arc.)
    1 month later| Memory arc
    Last edited by Satoshi; 29th December 2005 at 4:54 AM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

The DM only story takes less than a year. Starting from the beginning of the manga to the end while adding in the anime fillers takes close to a year and a half.

March, Year 1: School starts
    May/June, Year 1: Kaiba holds Death-T
    Sometime between June-November, Year 1: Bakura's Monster World thing.
    December, Year 1: Duelist Kingdom. DK takes 3 days to complete.
    March, Year 2: School starts again, Otogi DDM thing
    June, Year 2: Battle City. Battle City takes 2 days, Noah and the BC Finals all take place on the same day
    (probably)July, Year 2: Doma. Doma takes 7 days. KC Grand Prix occurs very soon afterwards. KC Grand Prix takes about 2 days.
    (probably)August, Year 2: Ancient Egypt stuff. 4 days for the Memory World stuff and one last day for the Ceremonial Battle. Longer in the manga since they still have to travel to Egypt.
    3DS Friend Code: 2466-1438-1624

5000 years ago - Yami's (    Spoiler:
    ) lifetime as child, teen and pharaoh and such...

Assuming the story starts that same year the anime premiered, then it would probably be:

May/June 1996 - Yu-Gi-Oh! First Season (not showed here in America. Kaiba's Death-T Tourney happens now)

November 1996 - Bakura's Freaky Monster thing...

December 1996 - Pegasus' Duelist Kingdom

March 1997 - New Year and Duke's Dungeon Dice Monsters Challenge

Around....maybe May or June - Battle City Finals start and the Noah's Viritual Reality and the Battle City Finals happen over this time. I think that it lasts longer than a day, though. Possibly a week.

July/August - The Waking the Dragons saga

September - Ancient Egyptian stuff happens like Manjoume said.

That's the way I see it. <3
    Last edited by Mimori Kiryu; 30th December 2005 at 10:13 PM.
    (image beautifully drawn by pixiv user id #45323)
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/34il6ah.png[/IMG]
    Lelouch is watching over all of us.

It isn't 5000, it is 3000, 4Kids read the Japanese wrong, and also, his name isn't Yami, that was a 4Kids screw up as well.

Here's my Timeline, it should be accurate.

Volumes 1-15 should be 10th grade year, I remember in my [Viz] translated Graphic Novel 16 (Duelist 9) about someone saying something like In the first chapter of V16/D9 Anzu says "There are a lot of new faces since we moved up a grade" or something to that extent, so I suppose Volume 16-38 (including Yu-Gi-Oh! R's Project R.A. story arc) would be the gangs 11th grade year, and also, in the official character guides the ages are stated as being 16-17 for the gang, just something to ponder.

EDIT:

May/June 1996 - Yu-Gi-Oh! First Season (not showed here in America. Kaiba's Death-T Tourney happens now)
    It isn't considered a part of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (and GX) timeline, it's a completely differant show with no ties to the show we see on TV, remember that!!!
    Last edited by Yuugis Black Magician; 30th December 2005 at 3:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugis Black Magician
    It isn't considered a part of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (and GX) timeline, it's a completely differant show with no ties to the show we see on TV, remember that!!!
    Okay, stop yelling.
    Where exactly do you come up with the idea that the original YGO anime has nothing to do with the two series that came after?
    The first two YGO anime were based off the manga (albeit, a tad loosely in some instances), whereas GX was not. If anything, GX is the one that's "a completely different show with no ties."
    _
    X

Uh...?

It's not connected apart from the several flashbacks we get to see of the very first series in the Duelist Kingdom saga? Like the flashback to Burger World, Joey taking Yugi's peice of the Millenium Puzzle, and that big dude from the same episode?

Yeah, totally unconnected.

Also, 4Kids did not 'read the Japanese wrong'. They're not THAT stupid. They just decided to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Also, 4Kids did not 'read the Japanese wrong'. They're not THAT stupid. They just decided to change it.
    That's one hell of a lie then, since the so-called "Uncut" DVD also says 5,000 years (in the subtitles and dub).
    _
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Haruka's Swimsuit
    Okay, stop yelling.
    Where exactly do you come up with the idea that the original YGO anime has nothing to do with the two series that came after?
    The first two YGO anime were based off the manga (albeit, a tad loosely in some instances), whereas GX was not. If anything, GX is the one that's "a completely different show with no ties."
    I wasn't yelling, and to be truthful, I meant that they had differant continuitys.

I heard that 4Kids actually did misread the text, don't hurt the messanger.

And those flashbacks were newly animated, I believe, and remember, Toei did Yu-Gi-Oh!, NAS is DM and DMGX.

The original did read 3000, unless NAS changed it from the Comic, which is highly unlikely.

It doesn't matter if they were newly animated. They still refer to events that happened in the first series. Thus, the two are connected.

Okay, stop yelling.
    YGO and YGODM could've had a great connection with each other, but some of the events from YGO could've never had happened on Duel Monsters. Thanks to NASA's "first episode", Shadi's encounter in Duelist Kingdom, and making Kaiba's hair brown, the series couldn't have been tied together. :P

The flashbacks, on the otherhand, were somewhat the same. But Anzu's "Burger World" flashback was sort of budged. Instead of being held hostaged by a criminal, she was harassed by a pervert with a camera. o_O;

The first YGO series had events that most likely have tied with YGODM, excluding some events that ruins the timeline.

This is why I watch the anime for entertainment and use the manga as a timeline resource. :P
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Yeah, YGO does have a connection with YGODM, but it ISN'T completely firm. In some ways they're connected, and in others they're not. But for the most part, it's probably safer to assume YGODM's beginning is the beginning of the entire series, rather than a continuation of YGO.

That's one hell of a lie then, since the so-called "Uncut" DVD also says 5,000 years (in the subtitles and dub).
    4Kids could have decided to keep the 5000 years even in the uncut dub, the way FUNimation kept Hercule's name Hercule rather than changing it back to Mr. Satan. O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugis Black Magician
    I wasn't yelling, and to be truthful, I meant that they had differant continuitys.
    Generally, when someone ends a statement with two exclamation points, that is considering yelling. Then again, plenty of people think I reply to people while "angry" eventhough I rarely use exclamation points.

And those flashbacks were newly animated, I believe, and remember, Toei did Yu-Gi-Oh!, NAS is DM and DMGX.
    True, but they weren't really "newly animated," it's just that NAS animated the 'flashbacks' themselves rather than using footage from TOEI (which would have likely clashed with the story they were telling and it's likely that had they asked, TOEI probably wouldn't have given them footage anyways).
    The 'flashbacks' were done in NAS's animation style, so clearly they look different from TOEI's.
    _
    X

Wait, didn't they say that it was four years in the dub? And it would make sense, becuause in the Movie, thaey said that wwas 3 years. Of course 4Kids doesn't get much right, so why would they be right here?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

Ignore the dub, it holds its own universe.

I was simply trying to put imphasis (spell?) on the matter.

Don't forget, that NAS's version is also based off the Manga, and remember the flashback in Episode 3 could have easily been based off the Manga, and that other flashback is easily just filler.

There are four continuities

YGO Comic universe

YGO (TOEI) universe

YGODM and GX universe

YGO 4Kids universe

In the first series, Honda and Miho are working in the resturant too and welcomed Yuugi and Jonouchi to Burger World, as seen in this pic. But in NAS's flashback, it only showed Anzu welcoming Yuugi and Jonouchi to Burger World.

Just because YGODM looks back on the events happened in the first series, DOESN'T mean they are in the same universe, esspecially when the events are "tweaked" and have some differences.

Kaiba's hair is Green in Toei's version, and Kaiba's hair is brown in NAS's version.

Kaiba's hair was later redone to brown in Toei's "Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie", but the movie STILL didn't fit into continuity with Duel Monsters, it was a standalone adventure.

And when Yuugi duels Dark Bakura in a shadow game in Duelist Kingdom, he seems to not remember the events that happened in the first series (he fought Bakura in a "role-play" shadow game).
    Last edited by Satoshi; 4th January 2006 at 6:37 AM. Reason: Broken link
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

The thing is when NAS got the rights to the series the first season had already been done. They would have had the option of doing the original 7 volumes again or not. If they had redone the events in the first seven volumes of the manga then it would have just repeated that which everyone had already seen. Thusly it wouldn't attract as much interest as just picking up the story where it left off however for those just entering the series at that point things like Shadi, Bakura and Kaiba needed to be re-explained in the premise of the new series and they were so important that a flash back wouldn't cut it. However things like burger world could be handled with a slightly different flash back.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Chao
    The thing is when NAS got the rights to the series the first season had already been done. They would have had the option of doing the original 7 volumes again or not. If they had redone the events in the first seven volumes of the manga then it would have just repeated that which everyone had already seen. Thusly it wouldn't attract as much interest as just picking up the story where it left off however for those just entering the series at that point things like Shadi, Bakura and Kaiba needed to be re-explained in the premise of the new series and they were so important that a flash back wouldn't cut it. However things like burger world could be handled with a slightly different flash back.
    Like I said, they are completely differant continueties, TOEI's YGO took place in a seperate universe, and don't forget, NAS named the series YGO DUEL MONSTERS, the series was mainly about the card game (Magic and Wizards in the Comic, but DM in Animé to prevent lawsuits).

i just have one question...

could you give me a timeline from the start of season 1 up to now (5D's)?
    i dont know how many years 5D's takes after GX, but it cant be TOO long, as i did see Blair from GX cheerleading in the first episode.
    *signature does not exist. I have no clue when I'll even post again, really. :/*

I just consider them different series, though the fault lies entirely with NSA, as they are the ones who made the new flashbacks. Other than writing Miho out of the show, everything really could have gone according to Toei's version; heck, the first Kaiba duel could just be another round of Kaiba revenge, show off that he has all three Blue eyes. Nothing in Duelist Kingdom or Battle City would change for it happening that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamex View Post
    Yeah, YGO does have a connection with YGODM, but it ISN'T completely firm. In some ways they're connected, and in others they're not. But for the most part, it's probably safer to assume YGODM's beginning is the beginning of the entire series, rather than a continuation of YGO.

4Kids could have decided to keep the 5000 years even in the uncut dub, the way FUNimation kept Hercule's name Hercule rather than changing it back to Mr. Satan. O_o
    Someone hasn't seen the Orange Brick redubs- it's nothing but Mr. Satan there.

Don't get why 4kids kept 5000 years, though, there isn't any copyright involved and they don't need to worry about continuity with the original dub since the Uncut audience is a different sphere of the fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by deokishisu.123 View Post
    i just have one question...

could you give me a timeline from the start of season 1 up to now (5D's)?
    i dont know how many years 5D's takes after GX, but it cant be TOO long, as i did see Blair from GX cheerleading in the first episode.
    GX is ten years MAX. 5D's... all we hear is that it's a while. All we have is Blair in the first episode (Could be a lookalike), and the fact that a couple of characters have Rex on Weevil on their lists of defeated duelists... either way, the original cast should still be alive somewhere.

The problem is that we don't know how Domino City became a police state- at least then we could judge if a revolution like that could happen in everyone else's lifetime.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.