Thread: Lost in the Haze Preview

Default Lost in the Haze Preview

PREVIEW

Well, it's been a year and a few months since I posted my first fic here, and now it's come time for me to post what most likely will be my last. I've been thinking about this fic for a while, mulling the plot and characters around in my mind. Now I have it all together and am ready to let this fic materialize into its own thread. I'd like to thank Negrek immensely for all the helpful beta-ing that she's done for the fic. Without her aid, there would be mistakes and plot holes that I would have missed. Thanks, Negrek.

Anyway, the plot goes like this: a boy whose father is a research scientist at the weather institute has discovered an alarming pattern in pokemon evolution. He has discovered, with his own eyes and in collaboration with other scientists across the regions, this: some pokemon are evolving only partially. Partially in that they either have the physical characteristics of both pre-evolved and evolved forms or their evolved form has lost the ability to use attacks inherent to that pokemon (i.e. a wartortle who evolved from squirtle but forgot how to use water attacks.)

To combat this problem, Professor Saiko spearheads the "Omnistone Project". This stems from the completion of the Pokemon Genome Project with which the specific chain of genes that causes evolution was discovered. The Omnistone reacts with these genes, causing evolution in pokemon who have failed to evolve on their own. When Professor Saiko is kidnapped by a mysterious force, it remains in the hands of his son to spread the Omnistone project to other towns and even regions so that it can squelch the pattern of mis-evolution. The journey gets even more exciting when it is discovered who their opposition is.

The story centers on the Professor's son, a specific pokemon who evolved without the ability to use its type of attacks, and a dark-haired girl who travels with them. These are not the only characters, but the only ones you can know about now without some plot elements being spoiled. I do want to say this, though: unlike my past fics, this one will derive its value from both the characters' depth and the action. Both will be there in good measure, for sure, though.

So many plot twists are in store for this fic, I feel fuzzy just thinkin' about 'em. Throughout these chapters, the main characters will discover the real reason for their journey, the source of the mis-evolution pattern, and many more secrets about the pokemon world that will rock theirs.

The battles will be innovative. I really can't elaborate as to how without giving away anything, but the battles will be innovative.

Note: after you click the link, a page with a link that says "here" will appear. click on it.

Excerpt:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Haze
    Accompanying Music

"Lucy, turn around." Lucy had been facing Chris, waiting for the fog to clear before they approached the town. Now the legendary mockery approached their point in the stream, seemingly walking on the water towards them.

"Oh my god, Chris, what is that thing?!" Lucy shivered, having turned around. The monstrous entity breathed heavily and then emitted a sound that echoed like thousands of voices at once. "It is time for you to give me your power. Devolution Beam!" The colorless indentations in its face where its eyes should have been began to glow black, and two beams shot towards Lucy's Milotic. The Milotic braced itself, preparing to be severely injured if not destroyed. Chris' eyes widened as he, too, faced annihilation.

As doom stood on their proverbial doorsteps, as the night sky watched obliviously, and as an evil creature of unknown origin prepared to destroy them...
    Also, I want to make this a very easy read. A kind of all-access fic, if you will. No chapter yet has been much longer than five pages, and a lot of them are a little less. I wanted to make a story that you could pick up and read without having to pack a sandwich first.

P.S. - I still will be writing The Drama of Serebii along with flames and others.
    Last edited by billy5772; 30th December 2005 at 4:24 AM.
    Lost in the Haze The main storyline revolves around a boy named Chris who winds up on a pokemon journey without a pokemon[/conventionality]. He meets a girl named Lucy, who isn't really what she seems. She's quite detached, while at the same time appearing to be warm and friendly. Her true identity and past are amongst the myriad plot twists that make this fic so enjoyable. Alongside their journey, in a different place but intertwined with the main story is a Pikachu who has evolved from Pichu but forgotten how to use electric attacks. The two journies collide eventually, brought together by the appearance of the Haze, a destructive force able to take the form of the legendaries.

This idea looks pretty good, billy. I hope to see more of this story. I'm cracking up at the sight of a metapod with butterfree wings going "Someone please kill me!" or something. Either way, good ideas!

LX
    I am the author of the webcomic, Starbolts and host of the comic review show, Comic Showcase. Please check out the action here: http://starbolts.blogspot.com

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cferra1227

Oooh, sounds reaaaaaly great, love the plot and the emphasis on character development (of course you knew that, didn't you? XP). And thank goodness for short(er) chapters; no more hours upon hours of catch up if a review falls late. I will definitely be there to check this out, a very promising project indeed. ^_^ I especially found this line to be very powerful:
    As doom stood on their proverbial doorsteps, as the night sky watched obliviously, and as an evil creature of unknown origin prepared to destroy them...
    Ooooooo... *shudderz* Good luck with this, man!

~been writing: in (and around) old gyms

~been playing: 'wolfenstein: the new order'

~been reading: 'I want my MTV: the uncensored story of the music video revolution'- by rob tannenbaum and craig marks

~been listening: 'honeyblood' - honeyblood

Xbox Live Gamertag: Quackerdrill

PSN Name: Quackerdrill

www.twitter.com/quackerdrill

~sig v.eight.

Hi billy5772. It's good to hear that you will be writing this fic here, but then what about the TPM version one? Either way, I am looking forward for this fic. The ideas are really good. See you later!
    (P/S: I'm from the TPM, and I have read the fic posted there)

Thanks for the comments, guys! darktyranitar, the TPM version of this fic will be updated right along with the serebii version. The first two chapters will be different here than they were there, though (maybe a new paragraph or two and some rewordings). Thank you for reading over there. I appreciate it!

I'm thinking about releasing this fic after new year's since everyone should be back from vacation. Or should I just go ahead and post it?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the comments. Hopefully, I'll see you all in the thread!
    Lost in the Haze The main storyline revolves around a boy named Chris who winds up on a pokemon journey without a pokemon[/conventionality]. He meets a girl named Lucy, who isn't really what she seems. She's quite detached, while at the same time appearing to be warm and friendly. Her true identity and past are amongst the myriad plot twists that make this fic so enjoyable. Alongside their journey, in a different place but intertwined with the main story is a Pikachu who has evolved from Pichu but forgotten how to use electric attacks. The two journies collide eventually, brought together by the appearance of the Haze, a destructive force able to take the form of the legendaries.

Heh, funny. I remember you mentioning this earlier. I'm probably reading this.

I won something. Click above to find out why.

What an interesting backstory some of your characters have. If the storyline is just as stellar, I will definitely be checking this out.
    Props to MysticFlames for these!

Remember the Beast Riders? THEY'RE BACK!!!
    Pokémon Origins Volume III: The War of Armageddon
    Finished, after 16 months!!