Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: chaos' guide to making a successful site v1

I dun like this guide... it has good advice I suppose but it says it so rudely I'm inclined NOT to follow it than to follow it. It also has an overall air of "my site is good, your site sucks"

And where are you going to put your affiliates if not in the link bar on the side?

Give me one other place to put them.

You just love to think that you're better than everybody else just because you have a popular site, don't you?

Sucks that I'm one of the most well known Pokemon webmasters/players in the world Even groups of people that don't speak English know I'm one of the greatest battlers in the world! It means alot to me that my reputation has spread to even Brazil, China, and Japan. It's great to see pokedrome.info doing so well these days.
    See what I mean?
    Last edited by AgentChronon; 22nd July 2006 at 7:41 PM.
    It's my site, fear it.

Less than %.001 of all people on Serebii are named AgentChronon. If you are one of that %.001 percent, copy and paste this into your sig (started by AgentChronon)

Buoysel= awesome. It will always be that way. Forever. If you think you are a bigger Buoysel fan than me, PM me and I will correct you.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentChronon
    And where are you going to put your affiliates if not in the link bar on the side?
    Give me one other place to put them.
    I'll gladly answer that,you can place affiliates in a navigation bar like Pokerealm,or just place your affiliates in one page like other cool websites do,or just place them in the footer,as long as they're there.

The first idea is good, but putting them in a footer won't generate nearly as many clicks as on the side. Putting them all on one page is a horrible idea, as most sites only accept affiliations where you put a link on every page.

Oh and so chaos on the internet doesn't get really mad at me, I liked the part in the guide about the niche. I agree to that.
    It's my site, fear it.

Less than %.001 of all people on Serebii are named AgentChronon. If you are one of that %.001 percent, copy and paste this into your sig (started by AgentChronon)

Buoysel= awesome. It will always be that way. Forever. If you think you are a bigger Buoysel fan than me, PM me and I will correct you.

Affiliation won't generate clicks to your site. Why the damn don't people understand that? Affiliation doesn't generate clicks to another site. And the way you put it,when you meant "generating" you must be reffering , that they automatically visit your site. If so,you're wrong.

If you have a link button on every page, sooner or later at least one visitor will get curious and click on it. Of course they don't automatically visit your site, but probably one tenth of the people will which is good.
    It's my site, fear it.

You just love to think that you're better than everybody else just because you have a popular site, don't you?
    I fail to see how he is saying he is better than everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos on the internet
    Sucks that I'm one of the most well known Pokemon webmasters/players in the world Even groups of people that don't speak English know I'm one of the greatest battlers in the world! It means alot to me that my reputation has spread to even Brazil, China, and Japan.
    It also seems that he has the general air of "you people have no clue what you are doing and I am much better than you everything I say is right and you are just idiot kids who think they can make a site"

I don't know how you can expect me to take you seriously at all when you can't even write a coherent post and your "website" is an InvisionFree forum. The best part is how in another post you say "3 columns is sometimes usefull but don't recommend it to a few people." While I can barely understand this, I assume you are saying "3 column layouts are sometimes useful but I don't recommend using them often." If this is the case, then you agree with my sentiments in this topic and you only brought up 3 column layouts to make a scene and cause trouble. Way to be a retarded hypocrite. :/ Get out.
    Listen. He's just saying "I'm better than you because I have a popular website."

Also his advice is put in a really rude manner.

You know, I used to like smogon.com until I found out about how mean the owner was.
    Last edited by AgentChronon; 23rd July 2006 at 12:36 AM. Reason: I want to
    It's my site, fear it.

Alright we probably should stop arguing about this. We can just think different things without flaming each other .

EDIT: Wait... that post was just deleted.. now I look like a fool
    It's my site, fear it.

If you have a link button on every page, sooner or later at least one visitor will get curious and click on it. Of course they don't automatically visit your site, but probably one tenth of the people will which is good.
    I find it really strange that the Damaged Games website stores all his affiliates in one page,and then his affiliates gain 50 hits a day from Damaged Games in the result of it being in one page. So what can you say to that?

Affiliation doesn't bring hits to your website just because you affiliate. And if you think I'm a hypcrite on affiliates,I'm not. I affiliate to help other websites,I don't affiliate to gain:

A)Hits
    B)Visits
    C)Page Rank

That's retarded.

It also seems that he has the general air of "you people have no clue what you are doing and I am much better than you everything I say is right and you are just idiot kids who think they can make a site"
    He wasn't saying he was better just because his site was succesfull,he was just saying he was a real well known webmaster. What's wrong with that? It's just true. Deal with it.

You know, I used to like smogon.com until I found out about how mean the owner was.
    I actually like Smogon even if I'm flamed for being under-age,but that's just normal for a community that get's into more mature discussions of Pokeon. You know,he might act a little flamy,but that's just how he is,but when you get to know him,he's a nice person. And if he dislikes you,it's obvious you've been noobing around.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Viper SRT-10
    I fail to see how he is saying he is better than everyone.
    And I failed to see how it helped this topic in any way.

I've never been to damaged games...

You know this is a really stupid dispute we should probably stop.

Yeah you are probably right chaos on the internet is probably nicer once you get to know him... even though I have a bad first impression. I don't like people that cuss for no reason... I mean cussing when you are mad makes sense but in just ordinary dialogue??? Whatever...
    It's my site, fear it.

That is a cool site.
    It's my site, fear it.

Also,chaos,if you're reading this,I posted this on Nachtara forums,I'll PM you the link to it if you want.

I think he would have wanted you to ask permission first.
    It's my site, fear it.

You two, Faltzer and AgentChronon, are just pointlessly arguing about something that isn't the subject of this thread, and it is rather annoying.

I must admit myself, there are certain sentences that make it sound as if the internet is chaos' back yard, but if you ever visited smogon.com, you'll know that's just what he's like, and he won't change just because you tell him his head is excessively inflated.

In this guide, there are some things I agree with, and others with which I don't. The most useful quality tips are about not opening your site too early, not stacking useless Javascripts (a.k.a. dynamicdrive syndrome), finding something specific that your site will be about and not using pre-made templates at any price.

As for what I disagree with it's mostly those "this/that sucks" little comments chaos slips in every now and again. Whether they're deliberate or not, I don't know, but some plain aren't true or are highly biased.

When I reached the end of the article, I wasn't sure whether chaos intended to help other webmasters or shock and scare them out of the webmastering business. I know that everything you said, chaos, was true, but the way you wrote it was "curious", to say the least. Give the people a chance to breathe, because even following these tips won't help much anyway. It all comes down to how much effort you're willing to put into a site. These are all just measures that can be taken along the way to improve the finished product.

[PI Forums|Magma HQ|Kikkoman!]
    Teal'c: Are you considering the same tactic as I?
    O'Neill: Teal'c, the cliché is "are you thinking what I'm thinking". And the answer is "yes".

Quote Originally Posted by Magma Leader Maxie
    You two, Faltzer and AgentChronon, are just pointlessly arguing about something that isn't the subject of this thread, and it is rather annoying.
    Yes this is the fourth argument that we have been holding XD we always argue with each other.

Oh and BTW I agree with every single thing you said in that post.
    It's my site, fear it.

We were ON topic for your information MLM,we were discussing on where people can place other affiliates,other types of navigation,etc. which was related to the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltzer
    We were ON topic for your information MLM,we were discussing on where people can place other affiliates,other types of navigation,etc. which was related to the topic.
    This guide is solely my opinion, if you disagree with my opinion I don't care, don't post about it. If you want to have your own opinions, make your own "____ guide to making a successful site v1" topic. Keep them out of my topic.
    And there I was, under the impression that chaos specifically asked you not to purposelessly argue with what he said about affiliates and 3-columned site designs, or anything else for that matter.

[PI Forums|Magma HQ|Kikkoman!]
    Teal'c: Are you considering the same tactic as I?
    O'Neill: Teal'c, the cliché is "are you thinking what I'm thinking". And the answer is "yes".

whatadai Guest

um. affiliates help a lot. you just have to know who to affiliate with. if you've ever been affiliated with ppn or suta-raito you'd get 2342341234 visitors. i was also site of the month on ppn once and that got me a lot of visitors and suta-raito too. of course those two are big sites and hard to get affiliated with, but thats why you work harder to make yours good enough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by whatadai
    um. affiliates help a lot. you just have to know who to affiliate with. if you've ever been affiliated with ppn or suta-raito you'd get 2342341234 visitors. i was also site of the month on ppn once and that got me a lot of visitors and suta-raito too. of course those two are big sites and hard to get affiliated with, but thats why you work harder to make yours good enough for them.

I agree that having the right affiliates CAN help A LOT.

And I agree with both of you.

(No offense to pokelericon, I actually like his layout. It's easy to read and has a cool color scheme. Just a gay slogan! Good luck with your site )
    This is something that really bothers me and I know you are not the only person that does that, but the slogan is not "gay". Gay means two things, happy... and well we know what the other thing is. I'm sure the slogan is not happy, as chaos said he didn't like it. But slogans don't even have genders, so they're not "gay". They're stupid maybe, but not "gay". I'm sorry, but that really bugs me.

1. Oh my god, stop affiliating so much. That doesn't help anyone, nobody clicks affiliate links ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF YOUR LAYOUT. PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY IGNORE THINGS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF YOUR LAYOUT SINCE THEY ARE CONDITIONED TO BELIEVE THAT LEFT - LINKS TO CONTENT | CENTER - CONTENT | RIGHT - LINKS TO THINGS NOBODY CARES ABOUT.
    I'm sorry, but usually the second thing I do when I go to a site is (after I browse the content) click on about half of the affiliates. I've been to every single one of TCoD's affiliates and I have become a fan of a lot of them.
    It's my site, fear it.

AC:
    You =/= everyone else.
    And if you're offended by that, I really reccomend you not to go to Smogon. ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Blaziken
    AC:
    You =/= everyone else.
    And if you're offended by that, I really reccomend you not to go to Smogon. ._.
    Sorry bout my online term stupidity, but what does =/= mean?

Yeah I know people do that a lot at Smogon... it's just something that bugs me a lot.
    It's my site, fear it.

Not equal. >_>;

Oh okay. It's just something that really really bothers me...
    It's my site, fear it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast