Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spontaneous Combusken! (439)

It probably just got into some Miracle Grow. Or nuclear radiation. :/
    ~

I was astonished at Team Rocket's behavior in this ep. Jessie entered the contest without any sort of trickery except a disguise, they didn't try to steal any Pokemon, and Jessie even went up to May after their battle and...I'm not sure what she said, but it was nice...I think she thanked her for the battle. And at the end of the ep Jessie and Manene were just sitting on the beach, staring out at the water, while Meowth and James spied on them. Not sure what to make of all this.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Character development for Jessie? Wowsers.

Let's just say that Drew gets lonely on the road.
    AAAGH AAAGH AAAGH MY BRAIN *gurgle splat*
    Fic plugs: Taking a Chance (multi-chaptered, Contestshipping/Pokeshipping)
    Firelight (Christmas oneshot, Contestshipping)

I adopted Drew Plushie from Ama's Collection

^ Adopted by moi. Innit CUUUTE?

Quote Originally Posted by taitofan

Contestshippers are gonna flip. Seriously. If a tensionshipper says that, it's serious. Now if someone can just translate the Wakana/Haruka/Musashi conversation... I'm 99% sure I heard Wakana ask Haruka if she likes Shuu. You know, "daisuki" like. To which Haruka blushes and Musashi starts saying something...

Oh god no, don't give in to it May! [Even though Drew is hot]

This ep. was pretty good, some nice shots of Drew [no top! *faints*]
    May is blushing? Please not over Drew, that's just not cool. Wakana faints in the end? I didn't see that I'll check again.

Yup this was amusing. Mega Kick was really cool looking! I love the Torchic line
    Last edited by Torchic23; 4th February 2006 at 5:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-Jo
    Character development for Jessie? Wowsers.
    James and Meowth had been getting all the TR development, so she was ovedue.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchic23
    Yup this was amusing. Double kick was really cool looking! I love the Torchic line
    Uh, it's been stated several times already that the attack was Mega Kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Also, was I the only one who noticed Mr.G.Neric from last fortnight's contest making another appearence?
    Forget Mr. G. Neric, it looks like May's got a fan club stalking her...O.o

Anywhays, this episode actually looks amazing. As in, I think I may like it more than the recent Harley Contest...and I've only seen pictures *gaaaasp* =O
    I'll probably post a full review when I actually see the episode though...

But for now I must say two things:

- I said I was looking forward to the Combusken/Manene battle, and I wasn't disappointed. Can't wait to see it in action.

- It's awesome that Combusken learned Mega Kick and all and I LOVE the blue glow on its foot, but I was WTFing the head feathers. Why the HELL would they need to glow? It's Mega KICK, no feathers required. Not to mention it looked SO stupid...I honestly don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Uh, it's been stated several times already that the attack was Mega Kick.

yeah, that's what I meant, what attack did Munchlax use for the first round? Was it a mega punch or a hyper beam, or something else?

Bwhahahahaa, literally every single coordinator from the Harley contest was in this one!

Either the animators did this for continuity, or they were just being lazy and pasted the same faces in the second contest instead of designing all new characters.

Considering that the two contests were only 1 episode apart, I'll go by the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    Bwhahahahaa, literally every single coordinator from the Harley contest was in this one!

Either the animators did this for continuity, or they were just being lazy and pasted the same faces in the second contest instead of designing all new characters.

Considering that the two contests were only 1 episode apart, I'll go by the latter.
    Yeah, I was thinking this too. But still, what are the chances that all but one Co-Ordinator [because Jessie participated in this one] from the Harley Contest also made it into the finals of this episode?
    I can understand 1 or 2 because these towns were 'so close together', but 5? No...

Quote Originally Posted by Torchic23
    what attack did Munchlax use for the first round? Was it a mega punch or a hyper beam, or something else?
    First it used Solarbeam, followed by a Metronome which I'm pretty sure resulted in Rest [if so, there wasn't a green glow like there was for Harley's Octillery]. So to wake it up, May pulled out a PokeBlock, threw it in the air and Gonbe instantly woke up and jumped for it. On its way back to the ground it finished its appeal with a Focus Punch.
    This may not be completely correct, but I'm going on just episode pictures at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by taitofan
    ...Anyone know Wakana's VA? Cause she sounded really familiar...
    Her seiyuu's Yoshida Mayumi. She also played Kuchinuki Aki (the Kuchinuki/Winstrate family's daughter).

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage
    This contest needed desperately to be a two-parter. Wakana is such a great character, and the contest was longer than most should be anyway. Drew's scenes could have been a whole episode.
    Agreed. They could've also touched up more on a prelude to Wakashamo's learning Mega Kick. Maybe make note of how the strength of its legs have been increasing lately or something.

Speaking of which, did Shuu comment that "the trainer and Pokemon's feelings are one" when Mega Kick was first used? That sounds like a rather cheap method to bring up a new technique (and unfortunately, I didn't catch any lines by Satoshi, Masato, or even Takeshi, surprisingly, which delved further into the subject).... the above paragraph's scenario would've been much preferred.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

Wow. This contest had most everything. May wins with Combusken, probably her best Pokemon (the way she hugged it after it won was pretty heartwarming). Wakana is a very interesting character (it was cute how she had all the pre-vos of Drew's Pokemon, and how she fainted at the end). And, my best note, Jessie actually gets character development! Definately one of her best contests to date.

Wow, a lot of people are re-trying for the ribbon.

Wakana must hate May... that little strumpet and her great boobs gettin' all close to Shuu-sama! You know, if this was going to be a bit more realistic she'd be gettin' Springer-style on that chick's behind! And her Chicken!
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaiiest.Combusken
    ....which I'm pretty sure resulted in Rest [if so, there wasn't a green glow like there was for Harley's Octillery]
    My guess: Since Munchlax was at full health, there was no need to make the green glow representing recovery around it.

My realization: They just forgot.

My fear: Something in the future contradicts this.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

I say a Green Glow only appears when removing a Special Condition.

Banners By Me. Level 3 Trainer: 33 KOs, 95.5 TP, 18 SP

That's what I thought too. Anyways, I liked this contest, I hope Wakana is a recurring character. Does anyone think she might catch a Roselia?
    My Emerald Team:
    Swampert, Castform, Beautifly, Manectric, Wailord, and Bagon.

Red's PokePet

Patches the level 50 Pachirisu!

Discharge
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder Wave
    Thunder
    Patches is better than you. Get over it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningZion
    That's what I thought too. Anyways, I liked this contest, I hope Wakana is a recurring character. Does anyone think she might catch a Roselia?
    Maybe.

Wakana/Drew need one more Poke in common to catch up to Ash/May.

She'll obviously catch the D/P baby version and shove it in everyone's faces, duh. It's called Buddse.

Banners By Me. Level 3 Trainer: 33 KOs, 95.5 TP, 18 SP

Quote Originally Posted by ghost master
    Also what exactly was with May's appeal. What was the point of the solar beam?
    Max (I think it was Max) was surprised that Munchlax was able to fire the Solarbeam so quickly. Brock looked up at the sky (the Contest House evidently had no roof, like a baseball stadium) and I think he said that Solarbeam doesn't need any charge-up time when the sun is bright like it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Max (I think it was Max) was surprised that Munchlax was able to fire the Solarbeam so quickly. Brock looked up at the sky (the Contest House evidently had no roof, like a baseball stadium) and I think he said that Solarbeam doesn't need any charge-up time when the sun is bright like it is now.
    That brings in the effect on Sunny Day, i like when they mix effects of things in the anime. Like when Ash made it 'rain' in his eighth gym battle which triggered Luvdisc's Swift Swim. May probably figured it wouldnt take long with the sun. It also shows off that Munchlax has different moves. Solarbeam is odd coming from a Munchlax. She should also get extra points for having a rare pokemon. Rare only since much isnt known about it, right? The judges should have been surprised to see a Manene too but they might not do that stuff in the anime, i dunno.

Fan of #336 Seviper the Fang Snake Pokemon
    Seviper's sword-like tail slashes enemies and douses them with a horrible poison.
    Seviper shares a life-long, bitter rivalry with Zangoose.
    Evo Line: Seviper
    Fave moveset: Poison Tail, Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower

Banner by me ~RT

Maybe the anime is just pretending that the pre-evolutions of Snorlax and Mr Mime have been known all along.

Oh no don`t Wakana. Don`t catch Roselia! Those 2 pre-evolution of Shuu`s pokemon are enough.

Yeah, I hope she`s a recurring character too I wanna see her again.
    Black cat the rock <33

"Fukitsu wo todokenikitaze"
    "I've come to deliver some back luck"- Train Heartnet XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Magus
    Maybe the anime is just pretending that the pre-evolutions of Snorlax and Mr Mime have been known all along.
    Yeah, that's how new evos/prevos have always been treated. Think about it realistically...in the anime, you don't get 100+ new Pokemon "discovered" every few years, any new ones are assumed to have always existed, just in different regions. They kinda have to treat it that way because of how the games work.

Thanks to Archaic for an explanation of a couple things, this is part of a convo between me and him on AIM:

Shiny Geodude: first off, tell me if this is right... (gimme a sec to find and C&P the post)
    Shiny Geodude: Max (I think it was Max) was surprised that Munchlax was able to fire the Solarbeam so quickly. Brock looked up at the sky (the Contest House evidently had no roof, like a baseball stadium) and I think he said that Solarbeam doesn't need any charge-up time when the sun is bright like it is now.
    ArchaicEternal: Yes.
    ArchaicEternal: They were basically showing Sunny Day in show.
    Shiny Geodude: thought so
    Shiny Geodude: what about the whole thing with Jessie and her not doing anything wrong?
    ArchaicEternal: She seems to have gone all nostalgic over "young love".
    ArchaicEternal: Seemed to imply that Haruka and the new girl would be fighting for Shun's heart.
    Shiny Geodude: so she eavesdropped on their conversation and then added her two cents because she thought it was cute how they both liked Drew?
    ArchaicEternal: Pretty much.

Shiny Geodude: so what's up with the scene with Jessie & Manene together looking out at the water at the end of the ep?
    ArchaicEternal: I'll translate it for you.
    Shiny Geodude: cool
    ArchaicEternal: Jessie: "First love is good, isn't it"
    Manene: "Ma ne" (That's a joke. "Ma ne" would mean "I guess so")
    Meowth: "Jessie isn't her usual self"
    James: "It'll snow tomorrow. It's absolutly going to snow tomorrow" (Think "It's snowing in hell right now", or "Pigs are flying")
    Wobbuffet: "Sounensu" (Another joke."Sou ne" would be an informal way to agree with something just said)
    Last edited by Geodude; 5th February 2006 at 2:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed

That is so weired^^ (theyre out of ideas )

Jessie is a Contestshipper! How cute! So... how many in-show shippers does that make, now? Harley, Caroline, Jessie... and May and Drew, of course.
    Fic plugs: Taking a Chance (multi-chaptered, Contestshipping/Pokeshipping)
    Firelight (Christmas oneshot, Contestshipping)

I adopted Drew Plushie from Ama's Collection

^ Adopted by moi. Innit CUUUTE?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast