Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Spontaneous Combusken! (439)

If Drew being a Gary clone wasn't enough, now they decide to make a Drew clone with a personality like Erika from Pacifidlog. Yawn.

And also, it seems Combusken once again gets treated well. Half of its victories were against pokemon that it has a disadvantage against (Grumpig, Chimecho, Manene, and Vibrava). So far that thing has a 8-1 record, I find that very cheap.

Also every single contest in Kanto was decided by KO. It was like the time limit didn't matter.

Season One Complete!

Well, a battle is a battle. What do you think you're supposed to do? If you KO your opponent and make them faint, you win.

The time limit is just to end the match if both Pokemon remain standing. I love the Contests where we have real KO's before the time limit ends, it shows that a Contest battle is still the same as a real battle, and the same rules apply.

But a Contest battle isn't the same as a regular battle. The whole idea behind Coordinators is training Pokémon to be graceful and stylish as they battle. With all the KO wins in Contests, that only seems to matter during the appeals.

And how well Pokemon react to blows and attacks lowers their points which is more or less the same thing as HP.

When the Pokemon battle in the Contest halls, it's the same as if they were battling outside. You just have 3 little judges pushing buttons on the side. If a Pokemon faints, they faint, who cares?

Using combination attacks can be done by anyone, we've seen Ash use attack combinations himself many times.

I liked this episode. Seems like May has another rival, Wakana has a crush on Drew. Jessie enters another contest again, she is going to use James's Manene. Probably she lost against May's Combusken. And now May's Combusken face off against Wakana's Vibrava. Combusken learns a new attack, Mega Kick and finally defeats Vibrava. May won the Yuzuhira Contest and gets the ribbon. She does the usual ribbon pose.
    Last edited by ~Flareon~; 25th March 2006 at 8:18 AM.

Credits to Arceus Master and Aragornbird of Arkeis.com for my banner, the image
    |My Pokemon games I have now: FireRed, Emerald and Diamond|
    |My 4 top favourite Pokemon characters: Ash, Pikachu, May and Hikari|
    |Bishie: Flareon from Pokemon| Cartoon Bishie: Scooby-Doo|

Everyone that May like Drew in this ep but to me it look like May trying to set up wakanka and Drew in this ep

I may be the only one saying this, but judging by the screenshots, I think Jessie's attitude has taken the turn for the worst. She seemed too calm even in defeat.

I think I might be the only person who thinks that Drew was secretly hoping for May to win. That's probably just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofa
    I think I might be the only person who thinks that Drew was secretly hoping for May to win. That's probably just me.
    Nope, I was thinking the same thing.

I have no idea what the translation is for the poolside drew blushing scene, but my guess is that May says something about Drew giving her roses all the time and then Roselia laughs as Drew says that he doesn't give her that many, and that they're for beautifuly, lol. Just a guess, though. I'd like to know what they're really saying.

First two by the amazing Teppo Pepper The far right one from Pokemon Source
        Spoiler:- MayxDrew AshxMisty PikachuxPokechow:

Read My Fanfics:
    No Coincidence , Just Beyond The City Walls

Jessie didn't get at all mad or throw a fit that May beat her like she always does under her aliases. Since I didn't see the exact episode, what did she say after picking up Mime Jr. and walk over to May?

Quote Originally Posted by Riva
    Jessie didn't get at all mad or throw a fit that May beat her like she always does under her aliases. Since I didn't see the exact episode, what did she say after picking up Mime Jr. and walk over to May?
    No idea, we have yet to see a guide for the whole episode.

Just saw this in the US. This episode was pretty cool. Drew's new voice was a little cooler than the original. Briana's voice was kind of obnoxious. Cool to see a "sunny day-solarbeam" technique. Munchlax was awesome in the 1st round. Especially when it immediately woke up for May's Pink Surprise. It was hilarious how James was so concerned for Mime Jr. It was cool to see a Sand Tomb and Combusken learn Mega Kick. Overall, the contest was pretty good.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

did they spell "Combusken" wrong in the title? I swear it read "Spontaneous Combuskin"!

~*~Made by Me~*~

Yeah. It was misspelled as "Combuskin".

I liked the episode. My mom was cooking something at the time so I couldn't get to hear what was said at the blushing scenes. Only because I wanted to know what really happened that Contestshippers take way out of proportion.. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Lishus13 View Post
    did they spell "Combusken" wrong in the title? I swear it read "Spontaneous Combuskin"!
    Yup. More embarrassing than "Hooked on Onyx!" Blah, considering how PUSA fixed the Ekans mistake in Mystery Dungeon, it won't surprise me if they fix this also.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Loved this episode. I would say that there were a lot of Contestshipping hints, but that's not true at all.

This goes past hints. This is EVIDENCE. -___-U

I wasn't a Contestshipper before this episode, because I didn't like Drew. Now I like this shipping!!! (I change my mind too easily '__'U)
    Goodbye, everyone! I have left this forum because I keep having problems with the pages loading...
    Find me at saiyanisland, Brand New Breeze, and Deviantart.
    Azuma stays in my signature because he is win. =D
    READ LA CORDA D'ORO AND MY HEAVENLY HOCKEY CLUB!!!!!!! SAYONARA!!!!

"Oh my gosh, I'm breathing the same air as him!"

Lol rabid fangirls.

Did anyone else who saw the Japanese version as well as the dub version of this episode get two different ideas of the way Drew acted?

He almost seemed to be condescending towards to May...more so than usual in the dub.

Background music sucked. Symphonic Melody was playing as Combusken learned Mega Kick. I thought that was better than the stuff today.
    Pokemon White 2 Team

They spelt it Combuskin?

XD Owned those people who said PUSA were better cause they can spell.

Though its not as bad as the Loose thing IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
    They spelt it Combuskin?

XD Owned those people who said PUSA were better cause they can spell.

Though its not as bad as the Loose thing IMO.
    PUSA corrects their mistakes. 4Kids doesn't.

was it just me? i think team rocket didn't say their motto in this episode! o_o

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky~40 View Post
    PUSA corrects their mistakes. 4Kids doesn't.
    Who says they'll correct this one?

They corrected one mistake, they might not correct this one, and they might not correct that Earth type comment from a few episodes back. Not saying they won't fix those mistakes.

But who knows.

"Combuskin", LOL. And the closed captioning, oddly enough, spelled it correctly directly under it. It's a combustible chickEN, title people.

Anyway, my two cents:

-- I LOVED seeing Drew again. It's been far too long (at least I've been seeing his early episodes this past week). The contestshippy material was terrific, especially May's blush at the end.
    -- Great contest battles and appeals. I'm surprised a simple hula dance got Jessie into the next round, but she did have a great outfit. Mime Jr. tickling Combusken was hilarious. And seeing it use mimic was awesome. If James could have Mime Jr. do that once in a while, that would be great, but he never has it battle, just like with Chimie.
    -- Overall, a terrific Jessie episode. No evil moments, a good battle (she should have won, darnit!), and a sweet ending. I liked her getting sentimental when Brianna and May were talking romance or lack of it. This was the best Jessie episode in a really long time. Too bad James's hearts in his eyes weren't for Jessie.
    -- Good battle episode for May and Combusken. Combusken was a pretty good fighter, and at least it learned a new move.
    -- Brianna: VERY annoying. But at least she helped jump-start some contestshipping material.

Overall, 9/10. The next contest episode is the one I've been waiting for the most.
    My Shinies: NEW!! 4/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing:

Quote Originally Posted by eeveedragon View Post
    was it just me? i think team rocket didn't say their motto in this episode! o_o
    That's certainly not a first time. In episodes like many of the gyms and contests where they practically do nothing but appear for like a 10 second cameo, there isn't time for it.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

For some strange reason Brianna's voice reminded me of Suzy's from Zatch Bell plus combusken really needs a dragon punch.

Credit goes to Eroiduelist for the bannar

"Her fate is foretold by the whispers of the trees." - Forest Of Fate

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast