Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Spontaneous Combusken! (439)

I've finally seen this episode in Japanese, and I definitely like it much better than the English dub. Drew's (English) voice bothers me because he sounds so snotty or condescending when isn't supposed to. But, then again, it was his first episode since the voice changes.

The love triangle 'Do you like him?' and 'I'll rip you apart if you go near him' parts were awesome from Brianna. I really wish she had come back with her one ribbon to stir up trouble again. >:P

I liked the battle, but since most (or all) of Vibrava's attacks were CGI, it looked pretty out of place to me. Namely the sand tomb. But whatever, it was pretty cool.

One of my favorite episodes. (:
    I have claimed Respectshipping (Ash x Drew).
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/i4jsxc.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Sun View Post
    I've finally seen this episode in Japanese, and I definitely like it much better than the English dub. Drew's (English) voice bothers me because he sounds so snotty or condescending when isn't supposed to. But, then again, it was his first episode since the voice changes.

The love triangle 'Do you like him?' and 'I'll rip you apart if you go near him' parts were awesome from Brianna. I really wish she had come back with her one ribbon to stir up trouble again. >:P

I liked the battle, but since most (or all) of Vibrava's attacks were CGI, it looked pretty out of place to me. Namely the sand tomb. But whatever, it was pretty cool.

One of my favorite episodes. (:
    QFT. He sounds like a mix between Gary Oak and Silver the Hedgehog. As for the contest itself, when Drew (or it may have been Max, I don't remember) said May should've used Munchlax over Combusken for the battles b/c of SolarBeam, I wanted to shout, "Hey, the sun also powers up Combusken's fire attacks (speaking of which, when did it's Fire Spin attack become a Flamethrower?), so that'll work to her advantage."

Overall, I found this to be a shipping-heavy episode. So be it.

This episode started just how I thought it would:
    Ash trying to get Sceptile's attack power back.

Don't get impatient with Sceptile Ash! He's trying his best to get his power back!

Rest of the episode was alright. Contest episodes aren't my favorite episodes, so...

Glad that Combuskin <- learned Mega Kick, though!
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * - Going mega

Claimed by me!

I am glad May beat that crazy fan girl...... and great for Combusken to master Mega Kick

This episode was cool. It was great to see Mime Jr. used in a Contest for the 1st time. It was cool to see Combusken learn Mega Kick during the contest. Combusken vs Vibrava was a very cool battle. It was great to see that Mime Jr. knew Teeter Dance and Tickle, plus used them for the contest battle.

82/100

I liked how there was a lot of poking at May liking Drew and the other way around. I laughed when Max called Drew a weenie.
    Last edited by Ash Ketchum!; 23rd February 2012 at 6:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Sun View Post
    The love triangle 'Do you like him?' and 'I'll rip you apart if you go near him' parts were awesome from Brianna. I really wish she had come back with her one ribbon to stir up trouble again.
    Yes. I think she would have made a great rival if she was introduced alittle earlier in BF to get May hyped. It's better than having Soledad who was a slight too old to be a rival for May.

My ideal battle ever!

Huh, two different contest in consecutive episodes. That's rather interesting. The episode was okay to be honest.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Another good episode. I enjoyed May's contest win. Also there were some hints of contestshipping XD
    Owner of the Dawn/Hikari Fanclub v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Default "Spontaneous Combusken!"

This episode started with May getting ready for her contest and Ash trying to deal with Sceptile's problem. But out of nowhere, May's annoying rival Drew came and told Ash to "see from Sceptile's point of view", making things worse. Ash didn't seem to like what Drew said. I bet he was annoyed by Drew and wanted to yell at him.

Later May meets a cute girl who sent her a letter in the past. The girl tells her that she saw the previous Contest May participated in, and that's why she sent the letter to meet her. She introduces herself Brianna and goes to give May a rose(What you know?), but Munchlax eats the rose. May say that he though Drew sent her the letter and Brianna was really happy to hear that May knows him.

Later May and Brianna meets up with Drew. May introduces Brianna to Drew, then Brianna starts blushing and tells him she became a Coordinator after she saw his performances. Of course, Drew is happy to hear that and goes away before shaking Brianna's hand, which makes her blush even more! Brianna looks at her hand for a while, then turns to May and tells her that she will beat her in the Contest. She also tells May Drew has respect for her and when Brianna becomes a top-Coordinator, Drew will respect her as well. Whoa, she chose to become a top coordinator just to gain Drew's respect? Geez.

Later the Contest begins and the participants performs their Contest appeals. After everyone's performances, the screen displays the next Coordinators who made it to the next round. Jessie, Brianna and May were among the qualified coordinators. May and Brianna were really happy to know that they made it to the next round.

Then the screen reveals that May will face Jessie in the next round. May tells Brianna that she wants show Drew her coordinator skills to prove that she improved from before, But Brianna thinks otherwise and tells May she is expressing too much 'feelings' for Drew! Seriously? Geez, talk about being dramatic.

May blushes a little and tells Brianna that they're just rivals. But despite May telling Brianna that she and Drew are just rivals, She accuses her of loving Drew! (that's a bit too much) Hearing this, May nervously starts tapping her fingers while blushing deeply. Ugh...now what's up with her?

Jessie hears them and says something about "young love" and wishes to see them battle, but May reminds her Jessie have to battle her first. As expected, May wins the battle using Combusken. Then May battles with Brianna. During the battle, her Combusken learns Mega Kick and defeats Brianna's Vibrava, making her the winner of the contest. So May wins the ribbon.

Later the girls meets up with Drew again. After some talking with May, Drew turns to Brianna, telling her she will have Vibrava evolved in Flygon after some time and respects her skills. Drew's 'wise' words were too much for Brianna......so she couldn't take it anymore and fainted in May's arms! Geez, her crush was crazy.

Anyway, Drew tells May she needs only two ribbons. May asks him how much does he have, but evades the answer and walks away. May stares at him.....with a deep blush on her face?! Meh, this is why I'm not a fan of Drew. -_-

Overall, this episode was boring, I didn't like it at all. In fact, this episode is my least favorite episode from Battle frontier because of it's cliché and boring plot. The only good thing about this episode was May's Combusken learning Mega Kick, the rest of the episode was overly cliche and there were too much forced shipping. Brianna was adorable, but It was annoying when she started fangirling over gary-stu Drew, and it's even more annoying when May started blushing while seeing Drew leave. I gotta agree with Max's comment about Drew being a 'weenie', he's right about that.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 3rd January 2014 at 6:17 PM.

Even I couldn't ignore something like this, but "Spontaneous Combuskin" was hilarious to see in that title card!
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * - Going mega

Claimed by me!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789