Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by TRJessie579
    ...I'm sorry, I'm not getting it. What do you need help with, exactly?

If you're fighting only Pokemon that give Attack EVs, and Absol hasn't fought ANY other Pokemon before, then you're doing everything right.
    BUT CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE STATS LOOK OK FOR MY LV.24 ABSOL
    MAN IM THE BEST TRAINER THEIR IS IM ON FIRE!
    THE ROCK HARD TRAINER>_<
    ~5O4 BOYZ~

90% of serebii's popualation disklike/hate pikachu. If you are one of those 90% copy and paste dis into your sig and together we will takedown that little yellow b*stard! ^^ (Started by XxGreivousxX)

There is no way to kow how it should be. u need to wait for higher levels to see real progress

Quote Originally Posted by TRONE
    BUT CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE STATS LOOK OK FOR MY LV.24 ABSOL
    That's completely impossible to tell.

What those stats should be depends on exactly how MANY Pokemon you've fought, as well as what your Pokemon's IVs are.

If you know your Absol's IVs AND how many Attack EV giving Pokemon you've fought, you can use Whompithian's equation that's given in the first post. Otherwise, there's no way for any of us to tell if the stats are on track.

Like I said, if you're only fighting Pokemon that are giving Attack EVs then you're doing everything right. Just keep going.
    RULES

Read. Learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Hey mods, guess what, theres a spam post in a thread in a forum. Im not gunna tell you where! You have ot look for it! Lol! And when you dont find that specific post in that specific thread wihtin 5 MINUTES... Im gunna post a thread to complain about your poor modding behavior =( *****es. HOW DARE YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ME!?!??! Now start searching.

in Xd& in colo when ur pokemon is shadow do they get evs or do we have to wait 4 purification (starting playing xd cuz its so boring)

Okey Thanks ^_^
    MAN IM THE BEST TRAINER THEIR IS IM ON FIRE!
    THE ROCK HARD TRAINER>_<
    ~5O4 BOYZ~

90% of serebii's popualation disklike/hate pikachu. If you are one of those 90% copy and paste dis into your sig and together we will takedown that little yellow b*stard! ^^ (Started by XxGreivousxX)

Quote Originally Posted by ijea4444
    in Xd& in colo when ur pokemon is shadow do they get evs or do we have to wait 4 purification (starting playing xd cuz its so boring)
    if i remember correctly, shadows start getting EXP and EVs when they are 2/5 purified (in other words, when they have 3 or less full bars of shadow left)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Expert Evan
    Here's a tale about bagons:

Almost a week ago, I was getting a bit frustrated with the battle frontier as I kept having one bad luck after another, so I resorted back to breeding for more bagons even though I already had at least 6 that were EV trained and with flawless attack & speed, so back into the daycare were these following:

1. docile male bagon with flawless hp/attack/speed that already knew dragon dance, aerial ace, brick break & double edge and was already at a very high level yet unevolved so it can get along with other bagons.

2. adamant female bagon with flawless attack/speed but was better-than-average at least

So for like the longest time, I was getting undesired offsprings with at least flawless attack/speed but everything else sucked, so my goal was to get at least a wonderfully outstanding bagon with flawless attack/speed and at least outstanding hp/defense so it can better withstand against cursing physical types like snorlax, so along came:

an adamant female bagon that was quadruple flawless in attack/speed/hp/defense but it was still only impressive in abilities since both its sp.att & sp.def sucked, so I still went ahead and EV trained it at 252 attack/speed, 6 HP while not evolving it so I could put into the daycare along with its sire and replace her mother with it so this would increase the chances of getting a triple flawless for sure.

Given now that the docile male bagon and the quadruple flawless adamant female bagon are now in the daycare, a miracle of sorts shortly happened:

A shiny bagon hatched as it appeared mostly green instead of mostly blueish. What made this one a little more special was that it was adamant, impressive in abilities with flawless speed & defense but its attack right away looked less than flawless. For novelty purposes, I went ahead and EV trained this new shiny and evolved it into salamence so I can use it from time to time in the battle frontier. As it turned out, its attack was not all that bad as its DV figured in at 23 and only difference in attack stat was by 4 points compared to if it were flawless, so this salamence can still deal tons of damage especially as a dragon dancer for more pwnage.

Was I completely satisfied at this point? Not quite as I still persisted in getting a wonderfully outstanding bagon that I originally wanted. To make a long story short, I finally got that wonderfully outstanding bagon as it was flawless in attack/speed/defense and looks close to flawless in sp.def even though its only apparent weakness is its HP at a DV of 20. Its sp.att appears to be its lowest DV but I really don't care about it. I was able to EV train it and finally took my bagons out of the daycare.

As a follow up, the docile male bagon with flawless hp/attack/speed is currently at level 91 while the adamant female bagon with flawless hp/attack/speed/defense is at level 76. I intend to evolve them both since I'm currently raising the female up to level 100 and will make it a choice bander while the male will need to evolve for getting along purposes in the event I intend to breed them both again in the future.
    I have obtained 3 female tailows, each with their own flawless IV to claim. The calm one has fl. HP, the hasty one has fl. SPeed, and the Bold one has fl. attack. I want to pass on all of these IVs to a bagon, along with the moves A-Ace and D-Dance. I plan to use this breeding chain: Swellow-------> Altaria-------> Salamance with A-ace and D-Dance as egg moves and Fl. Attk, HP, and Speed. How should I do that?
        Spoiler:- My Shiny Pokemon:
    Shinies not displayed above: Farfetch'd, Mandizbuzz, and Lugia

Join the Shiny Hunter's Club today!

Credits: Gotika, Alycee, and Suicune

i have two questions
    1. if i use experience share and i fight a clamperl will the pokemon gain one effort point to its ev for defense or half a point? because im trying to train a ninjask in defense and it doesnt seem to be getting all the points it should.
    2. if i battle three clamperls and then level up does my ninjask's effort points carry over to the next level like i only need to get one more effort point to get a stat increase?
    Pearl Shinies,

1:

EV-gain is tied to gaining EXP from battle, so you must defeat the opponent Pokemon to gain the EVs. This also means that any Pokemon that gains EXP from the battle gains full EVs from the defending Pokemon, whether they actually defeat the Pokemon, only participate in the battle (even without attacking), or are holding the EXP Share.
    So your Pokemon would gain 1 EV holding the EXP Share.

2:

VERY IMPORTANT—Stat gain from EVs is NOT added up all at once, but gradually as your Pokemon gains levels.
    So you will still have 3 EVs that will be added to your total EVs. If you gain 1 more EV, you won't necessarily get an automatic +1 to that stat. So it doesn't matter how many EVs you gain before you level up.
    RULES

Read. Learn.

Hey mods, guess what, theres a spam post in a thread in a forum. Im not gunna tell you where! You have ot look for it! Lol! And when you dont find that specific post in that specific thread wihtin 5 MINUTES... Im gunna post a thread to complain about your poor modding behavior =( *****es. HOW DARE YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ME!?!??! Now start searching.

Quote Originally Posted by TRJessie579
    1:

So your Pokemon would gain 1 EV holding the EXP Share.

2:

So you will still have 3 EVs that will be added to your total EVs. If you gain 1 more EV, you won't necessarily get an automatic +1 to that stat. So it doesn't matter how many EVs you gain before you level up.
    ok cause i just defeated 18 magikarps with suddowoodo with macho brace and only got +1 in speed when i leveled up
    Pearl Shinies,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Confused
    ok cause i just defeated 18 magikarps with suddowoodo with macho brace and only got +1 in speed when i leveled up
    Sounds perfectly plausible. especially if ur sudowoodo is a low level.
    Don't worry about how much each level increases because all your ev's are kept in a hidden sum value and are slowly added to ur stats until you finally reach level 100 where all the stats are final

Here's something I've been wondering about. I know people have their opinions on this, but coding of the game doesn't seem to agree.

Suppose you raise a poke to LV 100. Then, using berries, you eliminate ALL EVs (stupid move, but humor me). Now you give it 10 vitamins in five stats and 1 of the other. Will it have the same stats as it would have had if you gave it those vitamins back at level..say 20? Essentially, is the EV training COMPLETELY math-based or do you have to give EVs "time" to kick in?

By all EV discussion, at LV 100, two pokes with the same IVs and the same EVs should have the same stats...no matter when the EV training occurred, correct?

That depends on whether or not said Pokémon already had some EVs when it was at L20.

In Pokémon, stat calculation is totally analytical. The game doesn't "tack on" stats as you level up, but rather, just recalculates them every level based on base stats/IVs/EVs/nature.
    Shiny Lovers ClubChristian Alliance

PkMn Pearl: 4468 0773 8281 • MKDS: 356611 325184 • Puzzle League: 429641 119596
    Red Shinies: 4/15 ∗ Shiny Cover Legendaries: 2/8 ∗ Shiny Grass Starters: 1/4

None of my shinies are for trade unless I mention otherwise.

Maybe I didn't word my question right. If a Lv 100 poke has the exact same nature, IVs, and EVs, does it matter (to its stats) when it got the EVs?

No, it does not. Whether all the EVs were gained at LV 20 or LV 100, the stats will be the same in the end.

This is why you can take a LV 99 Pokemon with no EVs, fully EV-train it, and see a 63+ stat gain when it levels up.
    RULES

Read. Learn.

do evs change the higher the higher the pokemon? that doesnt sound understandable so how about if u batle a level 15 numel and then battle a level 40 numel ( who would keep a level 40 numel without evolving i dont know) would they both give you 1 sp. atk?

Quote Originally Posted by ijea4444
    do evs change the higher the higher the pokemon? that doesnt sound understandable so how about if u batle a level 15 numel and then battle a level 40 numel ( who would keep a level 40 numel without evolving i dont know) would they both give you 1 sp. atk?
    Yes... no matter what level it is... each pokemon has a special amount of ev points it gives... the only thing that changes is the amount of experience points it gives.

Antero Guest

I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask my question. What level are the base statistics taken from on the Serebii Pokédex?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Antero
    I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask my question. What level are the base statistics taken from on the Serebii Pokédex?

Thanks.
    They get them from the actual game.
    Not sure how they do it, though.
    "I remember the Zombie Wars back in '76. Back then, we didn't have all these fancy peashooters and jalapenos. All we had was guts. Guts and a spoon."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSpectrum
    Yes... no matter what level it is... each pokemon has a special amount of ev points it gives... the only thing that changes is the amount of experience points it gives.
    what do u mean by "the only thing that changes is the amount of experience points it gives." i dont u nderstand.

Antero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by T Lord
    They get them from the actual game.
    Not sure how they do it, though.
    I see, does anyone know how they come about these values?

I believe that there is a discrepansy conserning the EV guide on the main site. It says that "for every four Effort Points you get, your Pokémon gets one more point in that stat." However, it says that, "one Pokémon can have a total of 255 Effort Points per stat, giving it a total of 32 extra points in that stat." You see, dividing 255 by 4 gets closer to 64, which would give a Pokémon a chance to get an extra 64 points in one stat. So, which one is right?
    "I remember the Zombie Wars back in '76. Back then, we didn't have all these fancy peashooters and jalapenos. All we had was guts. Guts and a spoon."

Quote Originally Posted by T Lord
    I believe that there is a discrepansy conserning the EV guide on the main site. It says that "for every four Effort Points you get, your Pokémon gets one more point in that stat." However, it says that, "one Pokémon can have a total of 255 Effort Points per stat, giving it a total of 32 extra points in that stat." You see, dividing 255 by 4 gets closer to 64, which would give a Pokémon a chance to get an extra 64 points in one stat. So, which one is right?
    they must've mistyped it. the actual gain from EV training is a maximum of 63 points. (255/4 = 63.75, and since you can't have a fraction of a point, the game rounds down)

The guide on the main site has some major mistakes in it, which is one of the reasons I wrote THIS one.

ijea4444 - They mean the EXP, the experience points, that you get from battling a higher level Pokemon will be more, but the EVs don't change--a LV 5 Numel will give the same EVs as a LV 100 one.

Antero - I used to know this...I BELIEVE it's the stat the Pokemon will have at LV 25 (with no EVs, Nature, etc) but I'm not completely sure.

EDIT: Okay, I'm wrong on the base stats thing... XD The only thing I can find about them is that they're "used in the formulas that calculate a Pokemon's stats." So maybe they're not anything specific, they're just bits of data that determine how high each species of Pokemons' stats can go.
    RULES

Read. Learn.

I never bothered to keep track of my pokemon's EV's, something which became a problem for me. Serebii's Pokemon of the week says to max out it's defense and HP, so to be safe, should I just EV train it in defense for one level, then EV train it in HP alternating levels?

Also, are EV gains spread out? I gave 10 Calciums to my Lugia, which should have given it a 25 point boost in sp. attack, but it only went up 3-4 points.
    You never were there....but you never were here, either...
    This the Prince Manaphy, my bishie. *hugs*
    Thanks to Coronis for the Manaphy sprite and ~*SeijisSeviper*~ for the Anti-Manaphy!

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast