Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

10 Iron gives you 100 EVs, which is 25 stat points at level 100. so you'll get one extra stat point every 4 levels you raise it.

if you're wondering why there wasn't a big boost the very next level after you fed the vitamins, you should check its stats before and after using them. vitamins force recalculation of stats. even at level 5, feeding 10 iron will give at least +1 to a stat that isn't lowered by its nature.

i don't understand your second question, though. evolving is completely separate from EVs, the two have nothing to do with each other. when a pokemon evolves, it keeps the EVs it had before, so a blaziken with 252 EV in a stat will have that stat higher than a blaziken with 0 EVs in it.

Here's something that is leading me to believe something different about breeding for IVs:

Normally if both parents have 3 flawless IVs in 3 of the desired stats, I should expect a 1/20 chance that one of its offsprings will have all 3 desires stats as its parents flawless IVs and that 1/32 chance it may have a 4th stat that is flawless also. Here's how I figure it being a 1/20 chance (50% male makes it 1/40):

1 = hp, 2 = attack, 3 = defense, 4 = sp.atk, 5 = sp.def, 6 = speed

123 234
    124 235
    125 236
    126 245
    134 246
    135 256
    136 345
    145 346
    146 356
    156 456

based on the above, any offspring should have at least a 1/2 chance that HP is flawless if both parents of flawless HP. I was fortunate recently where I was able to pass on aerodactyl's flawless IVs in hp/attack/speed to taillow within 20 hatchings, and to get a nincada with flawless hp/attack/speed & defense within 60 hatchings which started with a masquerain with flawless attack/speed and a female nincada with flawless speed and swaps included a male offspring with flawless attack/speed, a ditto with flawless hp/speed. Now here comes the baffling part: I got it to where the pairings were a male slowking and a female seel both with flawless hp/defense/sp.def, but it has now been over 400 hatchings and I have yet to receive a male seel with flawless hp/defense/sp.def and have had a few that have come oh so close but the breeding expert in Battle Frontier would never mention the 3rd stat as being flawless even after over 30 times. I know for a seel, an HP flawless stat is 23, defense = 13/12/10 depending on nature, and sp.def = 14/13/11 depending on nature. While I expect HP to be flawless half the time, the most I see in batches of eggs are usually 1 and rarely 2, and oftentimes none, so I am wondering if the frequency of an HP stat being inherited is more rare than other stats or am I just being unlucky. This also leads me to wonder if certain pokemon can only yield 1 stat as opposed to up to 2 and perhaps this pairing was probably never meant to be even though there were a few female offsprings that were indeed the desired triple-flawless. The main purpose of breeding for seel was to pass the flawless hp/defense/sp.def to the field egg group so to pass them onto smeargle whom can pass them onto eevee if I was breeding for an umbreon. If this is the case, I might start breeding with meganium & seedot instead since that requires 3840 steps to hatch at least.
    Last edited by Expert Evan; 14th June 2006 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWizard42
    10 Iron gives you 100 EVs, which is 25 stat points at level 100. so you'll get one extra stat point every 4 levels you raise it.

if you're wondering why there wasn't a big boost the very next level after you fed the vitamins, you should check its stats before and after using them. vitamins force recalculation of stats. even at level 5, feeding 10 iron will give at least +1 to a stat that isn't lowered by its nature.

i don't understand your second question, though. evolving is completely separate from EVs, the two have nothing to do with each other. when a pokemon evolves, it keeps the EVs it had before, so a blaziken with 252 EV in a stat will have that stat higher than a blaziken with 0 EVs in it.
    Oh, I meant do the changed base stats in a different evolved pokemon affect the amount of stats raised that are influenced by EV's at each level raise. It seems not though.
    "The Ugly Barnacle"
    Once, there was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly everybody died (That means you).
    The End.

Ok I am currently EV training my metagross adamant nature so it would have the following stats

HP/364 ATK/607 DEF/296 SPD/177 SA/203 SD/216

his current stats are

HP/166 ATK/173 DEF/131 SPD/90 SA/99 SD/77

LV:47

EV's should be:HP/252 ATK/252 DEF/4 by level 100

I need tips on where I should ev train(note I am using a macho brace)

how is your metagross going to have 607 Attack? that's impossible, since the maximum possible attack for meta is just 405.

as for where to EV train for attack and defense:

attack: the route before lilycove (dunno the number) has poochyena/mightyena/shuppet, which all give attack. run from everything else.

defense: the magma base has geodude/graveler/torkoal, which all give defense.

Also, since you don't have perfect IVs in (at least) speed, sp. def, or defense, it can't reach those stats you listed either. (Whither that matters or not is up to you though. )

Did you label speed as SD and Special Defense as SPD?
    You did in at least your max stats. That confused me. :\

Anyway, Special Attack definately already has EVs, so if you want your best spread, give the EV reducing berries to the stats you want 0 EVs in, if you can.
    A signature so short, it's
    Slim.

i'm pretty sure he meant SPD to be speed and SD to be spec. def.

SPD was speed

Yeah, that's what I thought it would be. I accidently thought I saw your max Speed and Sp. Defense reversed, so that's why I got confused. Looking at it now, though ... I don't see a possible way for Lv 47 Metagross to have as low Sp. Defense as 77. Maybe that was the one that was reversed?

lol, your question was answered and I'm just making it worse.
    A signature so short, it's
    Slim.

What are good places to EV train in Defense?

Underwater
    That Dewford Cave of some kind

What else?

the best option is, if you have emerald, the magma cave on mt. chimney. you find geodude, graveler, and torkoal. they all give defense.

i said this just 6 posts up.

Not sure if this has been said or not but for Special Defence, instead of fighting Tentacool and Tentacruel which can very from god knows what level and have several other pokemon thrown in, I found this to be a very good spot to train at Sp. Def.

South of Fallabor but before the cave, its got Lotad, Lombre and Swablu which give 1, 2, 1 respectively for Sp. Def EV's. Don't remember the level though, only around 16 I assume but I preferred it to surfing.

Just wanted to let anyone know, sorry if it's been posted but there's 11 pages here, and a reminder never hurt, right?

I wish I didn't try and get a Cloyster on my Emerald game now and get a bad egg. Ah well, I'm saving up for a DS Lite as we speak and plan on buying Emerald so I will play through that as quickly as possible so I can get back to breeding pokemon. Much easier when you've beaten the E4 and essentially have unlimited funds - not to mention you can fly to BF to get your IV's checked.
    Useful Diamond/Pearl Ice Pokemon Information
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...&postcount=330
    Don't forget to join!

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...=129074&page=1
    Click To Join

Want are personility values (like ones that evolve Silicoon) exactly?

I don't believe anyone knows anything more exact than that. They're just one of the hidden values in the game, like IVs, only this one ONLY has an effect on Wurmple. What we do know is that personality values don't change, because a Wurmple that starts to evolve into a Cascoon once will always evolve into Cascoon, no matter what time you evolve it, the location, etc.

Since there isn't any way to SEE the personality value of your Wurmple, it doesn't matter much anyway.
    RULES

Read. Learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Hey mods, guess what, theres a spam post in a thread in a forum. Im not gunna tell you where! You have ot look for it! Lol! And when you dont find that specific post in that specific thread wihtin 5 MINUTES... Im gunna post a thread to complain about your poor modding behavior =( *****es. HOW DARE YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ME!?!??! Now start searching.

I've read the section on Vitamiins, but I'm still confused. >>; I just hatched a Slowpoke that seems to have pretty good IVs. I'm trying to EV train it, so I followed your suggestion about giving it all the vitamins before it battled. No change in it's stats, so I leveled it up using a Rare Candy. It just gained the normal amount of points, my vitamins had no effect! D= So now I'm confused and basically just wasted a rare candy and tons of vitamins. x.o;

I believe it gained:
    3 HP
    1 Atk
    1 Def
    2 Sp. Atk
    1 Sp. Def
    1 Spd
    Last edited by Starfishy-chan; 29th June 2006 at 3:30 AM.

the vitamins do cause a change in EVs. but at level 5, even 100 EVs will only cause a change of one stat point.

on average, the 100 EVs from vitamins will give it an extra 1 point per 4 levels. so you won't be getting extra points going from level 5 to 6.

Quote Originally Posted by TRJessie579
    I don't believe anyone knows anything more exact than that. They're just one of the hidden values in the game, like IVs, only this one ONLY has an effect on Wurmple. What we do know is that personality values don't change, because a Wurmple that starts to evolve into a Cascoon once will always evolve into Cascoon, no matter what time you evolve it, the location, etc.

Since there isn't any way to SEE the personality value of your Wurmple, it doesn't matter much anyway.
    Is it known its limit:

IE:

IV: 1-31
    EV: 0-510
    GV: 0-255 (I think)

What is it? 1-8? (Guessed that because if below 4, it is Silicoon, so I just multiplied 4 by 2).

So as I gain levels, will my vitamins start kicking in, so to speak? @w@; If he gets 100 EVs at Lv.5, and I level him up to Lv.50, those EVs will have been accounted for, right?

And yet another question: If I give my Slowpoke an Exp. Share and then make a stronger Pokemon fight, will the Slowpoke still gain the EVs, even if it wasn't the one who killed the pokemon?

S'all so confusing. No wonder I haven't started EV training before now. xD;

gender value is 0-255, yes. if a PV = 4 is the dividing line, then PV is probably 1-8 or 0-7.

yes. at level 50, the 100 EVs given by vitamins will give it an extra 12-13 stat points (more with a +stat nature)

all pokemon that gain EXP gain EVs, even if they didn't fight, unless their EVs are maxed out. and unlike EXP, EVs aren't divided. so if your lead pokemon defeats a spinda, both it and any pokemon with an EXP share will get 1 EV in SAtk.

Ah, thank you so much for all the help! x3 Now, off to EV train...*scuttles off*

I have a question.

When you battle using Regice with Quiet nature against Spinda. Regice is at lvl.40 with 104 Sp. Attk attached with Macho Brace. I battle a couple of Spindas and the base Sp. Attk didn't gain anything until I put Regice in PC and took it out and it raised from base of Sp. Attk from 104 to 105. Does EVs training have to do with PC?

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>
    ~Reincarnated from Dark Absol to Flame Haze SnS~
    To become a Flame Haze, one must be a vessel for the Lord of the Crimson Realm
    Anime Character Bishie: Shana from Shakugan no Shana
    Currently playing: Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS XL) and Destiny (X-Box 360 S)

You won't see any stat gain from EVs until you either gain a level or put it in the PC. For some reason, putting a Pokemon in the PC recalculates its stats to add in the EVs it's gained. However, you won't see any AUTOMATIC stat gain (ie, checking your Pokemon's stats right after beating a Spinda).
    RULES

Read. Learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Hey mods, guess what, theres a spam post in a thread in a forum. Im not gunna tell you where! You have ot look for it! Lol! And when you dont find that specific post in that specific thread wihtin 5 MINUTES... Im gunna post a thread to complain about your poor modding behavior =( *****es. HOW DARE YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ME!?!??! Now start searching.

So PC does help you keep the track of EVs gained from training?

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>

not that it helps you keep track. it's just that the EVs aren't added to the stat until the pokemon: a) levels up b) is given a vitamin in that stat c) is put in the PC.

So, either pokemon that is leveled up or is putted in the PC is good?

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>

Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast