Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

CM, that quote has nothing to do with your rant, unless i severely misread it.

and the shuckle gets 2 EVs.

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm going to JAA and I need a Groudon for my team. I dont have Ruby/Emerald so I decided to raid the used game stores for some. I found 3, but they're all used a bit. Which is best for EV training that won't get ruined?

Lvl 49 (Made at 45)
    Exp. 148895
    Next Lvl. 7355
    HP- 168
    Atk- 168
    Def- 157
    Sp. Atk-117
    Sp. Def- 107
    Speed- 99
    *A note about this one, next to the Ultraball symbol (I'm in FireRed), there's a black dot. What does this mean?*

Lvl 49 (Made at 45)
    Exp. 147718
    Next Lvl. 8532
    HP- 168
    Atk- 161
    Def- 134
    Sp. Atk-116
    Sp. Def- 116
    Speed- 100

Lvl 70 (Made at 70)
    Exp. 433233
    Next Lvl. 14155
    HP- 242
    Atk- 203
    Def- 215
    Sp. Atk-180
    Sp. Def- 143
    Speed- 136

I'm assuming the Lvl 70 one since its yet to even get a level up, but what do you guys think?

the third one has gained the least EXP, therefore probably the least EVs. either pick that one, or just buy an emerald from a used game store (the third one is probably on an emerald cart) and play through, get a good one with the right nature and good IVs.

the black dot means that it had pokerus and it wore off.

Or you could buy an Emerald so you can use the EV-reducing Berries--then you don't have to worry about getting another Groudon. Just choose one of the three that has the best Nature and get rid of its EVs so you can start over.
    RULES

Read. Learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Hey mods, guess what, theres a spam post in a thread in a forum. Im not gunna tell you where! You have ot look for it! Lol! And when you dont find that specific post in that specific thread wihtin 5 MINUTES... Im gunna post a thread to complain about your poor modding behavior =( *****es. HOW DARE YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ME!?!??! Now start searching.

Ok, I need a bit of help here. I was EV training a Modest Ralts for Special Attack, and I need to know how many Special Attack EVs a Gloom gives out. One part of the main site says one, another part says two, and I don't know which one it is.

*ish a n00bish question*
    3DS Friend Code: 2208-6124-8748
    Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr, and Duosion. Feel free to add me if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Latias
    Ok, I need a bit of help here. I was EV training a Modest Ralts for Special Attack, and I need to know how many Special Attack EVs a Gloom gives out. One part of the main site says one, another part says two, and I don't know which one it is.

*ish a n00bish question*
    MetalKid's Pokemon Program and Psypokes.com both say that it give +2 Special Attack. Which makes sense since it is a second-stage evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Whompithian
    MetalKid's Pokemon Program and Psypokes.com both say that it give +2 Special Attack. Which makes sense since it is a second-stage evolution.
    Yeah, I assumed it was +2. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
    3DS Friend Code: 2208-6124-8748
    Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr, and Duosion. Feel free to add me if you want.

What pokemon is worth having 255 evs in two stats besides shedinja?

none. any other pokemon is better off with a 252/252/4 spread. and it's not as though that would actually make shedinja worse, it's just that it's not any better.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWizard42
    none. any other pokemon is better off with a 252/252/4 spread. and it's not as though that would actually make shedinja worse, it's just that it's not any better.
    Oh, I thought that shedinja wasn't the only one, because I know it demands max speed and attack, nothing else. I thought there was another like that, but I guess not. Why use only 4 ev in a final stat when you can use 6? Preserving 2 ev's for something useful, for one of the desired stats?

4 EVs is the same as 6 EVs, since the game rounds down after dividing by 4. i just put 4 because i felt like putting 4. :P

Ok so im a little confused with the iv calculator

when i put in my squirtles stats i get

Average % Min Max
    Hp: 21\ 4 \ 12 \ 31\
    Attack: 2\ 13\ 0 \ 4\
    Defense: 30\ 97\ 30\ 31\
    Sp. Atk: 25\ 7\ 20 \ 31\
    Sp. Def: 21\ 4\ 12\ 31\
    Speed: 22\ 4\ 14\ 31\

What does all this mean?
    Last edited by Mr_Confused; 16th July 2006 at 2:55 PM.
    Pearl Shinies,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Confused
    Ok so im a little confused with the iv calculator

when i put in my squirtles stats i get

Average % Min Max
    Hp: 21\ 4 \ 12 \ 31\
    Attack: 2\ 13\ 0 \ 4\
    Defense: 30\ 97\ 30\ 31\
    Sp. Atk: 25\ 7\ 20 \ 31\
    Sp. Def: 21\ 4\ 12\ 31\
    Speed: 22\ 4\ 14\ 31\

What does all this mean?
    i don't know what the % means. the min and max are the lowest and highest that the IV could be, and the average doesn't mean anything other than (min+max)/2.

if you want a more accurate measure, with smaller ranges of IVs, you'll have to put in stats at a higher level. save, use rare candies, and check its stats at a much higher level.

of course, if this is the squirtle you'll be using to play through the game, there's really nothing you can do to calculate its stats any more accurately, other than checking its stats at level 5, and then at 6 (after beating gary's bulbasaur), and seeing where they overlap.

RDMpimp75 Guest

Default vitamins

Heya, i was trying to max out my HP EVs for my Shuckle using HPups. I used the ten i could use, vitamins are supposed to give ten effort points right? and 4 = 1 stat up. i used all ten, so that means i would have had 100 EVs for HP right? when my shuckle lvled up, he only gained one more HP than he would have if i had not used any HPups at all, could anyone explain what happened to me please?

10 vitamins = 100 EVs = 25 stat points at level 100. 25/100 = 1 extra stat point per 4 levels. so, if your shuckle is only at level 5, it will only get a 1-point boost. at level 8, it will be 2 higher than it would've been, at 12 it'll have a 3-point advantage, etc. and that's assuming you don't do any other EV training.

And also, stats are recalculated immediately upon giving the vitamins. So when it leveled up, it was a +1 from after you gave the vitamins.
    A signature so short, it's
    Slim.

Question

How do you EV train properly? I'm asking this because I'm trying to EV train my Bold Natured Wobbuffet so I first I gave it 10 HP UPs, then had it defeat 152 Whismers with my Espeon and had my Wobbuffet hold EXP. Share, then I gave it 10 Irons, had it defeat 29 Clamperl with my Espeon and had my Wobbuffet hold EXP. Share, then I gave it 10 Zinc, had it defeat 29 Tentacool with my Espeon and had my Wobbuffet hold EXP. Share. Then I go to the EV woman and she says I need to go for it a little harder. I don't know why this is and she said the same thing when I did this with my Mewtwo...I'm really confused.

So I took her advice and I went for it a little harder. I spent a while with my Espeon beating up Clampearls, Whismurs, & Tentacools for my Wobbuffet. And she STILL wants me to go a little harder....I dunno what to do anymore. Is my game glitched?
    Name: ANTJF Brawl Friend Code: 3093-6768-2145
    Name: Anthony Diamond FC: 0688 1731 1865

i still think you just miscounted somwhere. the way you're describing it is the right way to do it, so if it's not working either you made a mistake or your game did.

if you know their IVs, deposit them (to force a stat recalculation) and post their IVs and stats, i can tell you (about) how many EVs you have in each stat.

alternately, a way to figure it out yourself is here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=131527 essentially combine my post and slim's.

i still think you just miscounted somwhere. the way you're describing it is the right way to do it, so if it's not working either you made a mistake or your game did.

if you know their IVs, deposit them (to force a stat recalculation) and post their IVs and stats, i can tell you (about) how many EVs you have in each stat.

alternately, a way to figure it out yourself is here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=131527 essentially combine my post and slim's.
    I don't know their IV's....I wish I knew. I guess that I'll have to keep beating up Whismur, Clampearl, & Tentacool. I don't see how I could have miscalculated since I was counting in my head and was counting a little bit on paper.

if you're playing emerald, you can reset its EVs to 0 using the berries (21-26), calculate IVs (with a little help from rare candies), and reset to your save and calculate its EVs based on its stats/IVs/level.

http://www.metalkid.org/PokemonTools...culateIVs.aspx this is the best IV calculator i've found.

Question

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally maxed out my Wobbuffet's stats! I was EV training my Wobbuffet with the EXP. Share and had Espeon destroy opponents for it. After a while, I went to the woman in Slateport and she gave me the Effort Ribbon! I guess that I must have miscounted the number of Pokemon with the EV's that I wanted for my Wobbuffet. I don't know what could have caused this problem since I counted carefully. Do you think that my Wobbuffet's EVs are evened out now that I finally maxed them out?

I wonder what's a good way to prevent this miscount problem to happen the next time. I don't have a GameShark so I can't use that. Maybe I should use the Macho Brace next time? I think that's what helped my Mewtwo out and why it got the EV's that I wanted for it sooner. But then I need to train my Slakoth and that's at level 5 so it won't be doing much sweeping with it. What do you think I should do?

instead of counting on a paper and in your head, make sure the pokemon you're using to fight can OHKO the wild pokemon, and go by PP.

for example, my most recent EV training was my level 50 heracross and a bunch of level 5s (the lv 5s all holding EXP shares), being trained in speed in altering cave. my heracross had horn attack and brick break as its only moves that would work on zubats, so i went 3 times for (25 + 15 PP) 40 battles each time, then back for one last one with 6 KOs, then i went to check if they'd gotten the ribbons yet. by my calculations, they should've been 2 EVs off, and they were.
    Pearl FC is 1761 9576 5676, White FC 3310 3986 5019, If you're interested in a pokemon i've posted, and you have something i could be interested in (see below) please PM me. Trade thread here. i also offer custom breeding services, for a price.

Want: female DW Sableye, Offering: Most other good DW females

instead of counting on a paper and in your head, make sure the pokemon you're using to fight can OHKO the wild pokemon, and go by PP.

for example, my most recent EV training was my level 50 heracross and a bunch of level 5s (the lv 5s all holding EXP shares), being trained in speed in altering cave. my heracross had horn attack and brick break as its only moves that would work on zubats, so i went 3 times for (25 + 15 PP) 40 battles each time, then back for one last one with 6 KOs, then i went to check if they'd gotten the ribbons yet. by my calculations, they should've been 2 EVs off, and they were.
    Yeah that is what I did. I went by PP and OHKO'd wild Pokemon. I gave my Wobbuffet 10 of a vitamin and I used my Espeon and had it use Swift 20 times to defeat Wild Pokemon, then went back and had it use Swift 9 more times so I can fill that stat with 129 EV's.

If a Pokemon (Swellow for example) has less than 10 EVs until they max out a stat (like Attack), if you use a Protein (assuming it's still able to take them), can the Pokemon still take the Protein? Like if Swellow has 251 EVs in attack, for example.

Edit: Err...disregard that. Guess you can't give vitamins when they've passed the 100 EV mark or something. -_- Kinda stupid.
    Last edited by NinjaKoriku; 23rd July 2006 at 8:29 AM.

^ Thanks to Snaggron for the awesome TC! ^

Shinies: Nidoking

RandomPerson Guest

on the iv calculator do i put in the amount of effort points(like i defeated 87 geodudes) would i put 87 or would i put 21 which is the number divided by four to get the number of points added to the stat?

Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast