Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

Personality value is a number 0 - 4,294,967,295
    The main site really means you divide by 10, and take the remainder.
    if 0-4, it will be cascoon, 5-9, silcoon.

It is used for a several other things, but knowing what the number is won't give you extra information. It's just an interesting number you can't figure out.
    A signature so short, it's
    Slim.

i have a qstn, i'm training a torchic which has pokerus and holds a machobrace. i've been training for a while but it just doesn't want to get all its evs!
    shouldn't it be getting 4evs each time it battles a spinda?
    and if it battles a golem, how much defence evs does it gain?
    PM me for trades or For quicker trades just add me on pikamiki@hotmail.com
    I have almost anything up for trades

FC Diamond: 3523 6401 5816
    FC Pearl: 4854 3797 6995
    My shinies: x2 x3
    plus many more...

yes, it gets 4 SAtk EVs for each spinda it KOs.

for beating a golem, it should get 12 defense EVs.

You know what's funny? I had Regice with PokeRus and has Macho Brace attached to it and knocks one one or two Spindas and it still gets 1 EVs in Sp. Attk. That's more of rip-off.

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>
    ~Reincarnated from Dark Absol to Flame Haze SnS~
    To become a Flame Haze, one must be a vessel for the Lord of the Crimson Realm
    Anime Character Bishie: Shana from Shakugan no Shana
    Currently playing: Pokemon - Omega Ruby (3DS XL) and Assassin's Creed - Rogue (X-Box 360 S)

How do you know it's getting "one EV"? You can't see EVs...if it's beating the Spinda, and has both Macho Brace and Pokerus, it WILL be gaining 4 EVs per Spinda. As the FAQ explains, you can't see EV-growth, but you CAN use the equation given to make sure you're on track.

However, since 4 EVs = 1 stat point and even then, the stat points are added gradually as your Pokemon gains levels, it's will usually look like you're not gaining any more stats, but you ARE gaining EVs.

You will see more of an overall difference once the Pokemon you're EV-training is FULLY EV-trained, and at a higher level. Remember that you get +63 points to a stat when you max out the EVs in that stat, which looks like a lot, but when it's added gradually from LV 2 to LV 100, you may only see an extra +1 more than you would have in that stat per level.

Does this make sense?
    RULES

Read. Learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Hey mods, guess what, theres a spam post in a thread in a forum. Im not gunna tell you where! You have ot look for it! Lol! And when you dont find that specific post in that specific thread wihtin 5 MINUTES... Im gunna post a thread to complain about your poor modding behavior =( *****es. HOW DARE YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ME!?!??! Now start searching.

If I were to battle Spinda with a Pokemon (Macho Brace and PokeRus), it will get 4 EVs, thus gaining one stat. The max EVs for each is 255, right? But with Macho Brace and PokeRus, it becomes 64. Does this mean that I gain 16 or 56 for each stats?

Just wanted to understand the example. :P

Let's see...I already got 28 extra stats, that means I got 112 EVs total?
    Last edited by Flame Haze SnS; 30th June 2006 at 7:40 AM.

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>
    Currently playing: Pokemon - Omega Ruby (3DS XL) and Assassin's Creed - Rogue (X-Box 360 S)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Absol
    If I were to battle Spinda with a Pokemon (Macho Brace and PokeRus), it will get 4 EVs, thus gaining one stat. The max EVs for each is 255, right? But with Macho Brace and PokeRus, it becomes 64. Does this mean that I gain 16 or 56 for each stats?

Just wanted to understand the example. :P

Let's see...I already got 28 extra stats, that means I got 112 EVs total?
    Your Pokemon with Macho Brace and Pokerus would gain one extra point in that stat after beating the Spinda if it is at Level 99 and you Level it up, or if it had already beaten a couple of Spindas and had some decimal overflow from the previous Effort Points it earned. If it is at a lower Level, you won't notice the point because the gain will only be the current Level divided by 100, rounded down (which is always 0, unless your Pokemon is at Level 100). The final values of stats are always rounded down to a whole number.

255 is the actual maximum an EV can be, but since the stat boost EVs provide is EV divided by 4, rounded down, you get a maximum stat boost of 63 whether you have an EV of 255 or 252. So, with Macho Brace and Pokerus, you can defeat 63 Spindas to max out one stat (63 x 4 = 252).

If those 28 extra stat points are in addition to what you would normally have during a Level-up, then yes, you have an EV of 112 in that stat. But, you should make a point of keeping a log of the Effort Points you earn for your Pokemon. The game doens't provide any way to see your EVs, and when your Pokemon reaches Level 100, EVs can only be changed with Energy Items (if you are playing Emerald, you can use Berries to lower a Pokemon's EVs, but at Level 100, Energy Items are the only way to add to a Pokemon's EVs).

if the pokemon has pokerus and holds and exp share how much does it get by the first pokemon in the party beating a spinda. i'm fed up of training up this new team i'm making! all my ev calculations seem to go awry!

btw 10x for your previous answers!
    PM me for trades or For quicker trades just add me on pikamiki@hotmail.com
    I have almost anything up for trades

FC Diamond: 3523 6401 5816
    FC Pearl: 4854 3797 6995
    My shinies: x2 x3
    plus many more...

2 EVs.

ban10charlimit

Fainting one pokemon gives one EV (or in case, 2 or 3 EVs) without Pokerus and Macho Brace?

Fainting a pokemon gives 2 EVs (or 4, 8?) when attached by Macho Brace or infected by Pokerus?

Fainting a pokemon gives 4 EVs (4?, 16?) when attached by Macho Brace and Pokerus?

Just wanted to stay on the same page. I'm not that smart. :P

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>

Those statements are all correct. XD
    RULES

Read. Learn.

Hey mods, guess what, theres a spam post in a thread in a forum. Im not gunna tell you where! You have ot look for it! Lol! And when you dont find that specific post in that specific thread wihtin 5 MINUTES... Im gunna post a thread to complain about your poor modding behavior =( *****es. HOW DARE YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ME!?!??! Now start searching.

Whoa, I'm right? Well, then I'll EVs Regice for Sp.Def and Mewtwo for Sp.Attk. ^_^; Funny how that it seems to be easier than I thought. ^_^;

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Absol
    Fainting one pokemon gives one EV (or in case, 2 or 3 EVs) without Pokerus and Macho Brace?

Fainting a pokemon gives 2 EVs (or 4, 8?) when attached by Macho Brace or infected by Pokerus?

Fainting a pokemon gives 4 EVs (4?, 16?) when attached by Macho Brace and Pokerus?

Just wanted to stay on the same page. I'm not that smart. :P
    you messed up when dealing with pokemon that give 3 EVs. they give 3, then 6, then 12, not 3/8/16.
    Last edited by WhiteWizard42; 3rd July 2006 at 7:22 AM.

Oh! Right, sorry. ^_^;

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>

I have a question.

If my Kadabra has 250-252 EVs in Sp.Atk., and I beat a Magneton w/ Pokerus + Macho Brace, does my Kadabra gain 3-5 EVs instead of the usual 8 EVs in Sp.Atk. to get the maximum EVs it can possibly get plus 3 wasted EVs that don't count towards stats and thus could've gone to another stat, or no?
    Last edited by gregjammer; 3rd July 2006 at 8:39 PM.
    My D/P FC: 4255-0421-2254
    My Pt FC: 2450-0507-5436(old)
    My HG FC:3524-8966-7093(old)
    My black FC: 0691-4324-8351
    My black 2 FC: 3440-0907-8860
    My Y FC: 4038-6458-7352

yes. it will go to 255 in that stat, thus wasting 3 EVs.

Do you get EVs through switching out?

~Aquatic

what are you asking? any pokemon that gains experience from a battle gains EVs.

Hi i have a quick question...

If I have a Treeco who has pokerus, and macho brace, and i want him to have 252 special attack, and i already gave him 100 with calciums, so theres 152 left, does the macho brace half that to 76 then the pokerus half that to 38...is that how it works? please reply ASAP!!!
    name: Aurora
    FC: 4168 3610 5392

the thing about rare candies in the first post should be fixed...

it does not lose any EVs if you don't gain any in the level that you are using the rare candy...

for example...

poke at lv 19 with no EVs... give it 8 EVs and use a rare candy (THIS WILL MAKE IT LOSE 8 EVs)

but if you raise it 252 EVs and then raise a level normally you can use rare candies all you want...

I have a blissey that I maxed out its EVs at level 30 something
    I then grew it to level 63 naturally
    I had 27 stocked rare candies that I got from pickup ahd I used them

It still ended up with 714 HP at level 100

Shinies: Lots from chaining, several from SRing, a couple random ones. Just ask if you really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Leaf
    I suggest yuou stop playing pokemon right now, as it has clearly impaired your eyesight. Your inability to see the sticky topic withthe almost exact same title as this one just goes to prove that you are either staring at the screen for to long, or your excessive masturbation has actually lead to prepubescent blindness. My bets are on the former, but please, go see an optician now, before I have to warn you for being an idiot and reposting stuff because you don't bother to look before playing with the posting buttons.

Jeremy: yes, that's how it works.

(note)CM(note): using rare candies never makes you lose EVs.

On the first page of this thread it clearly says that using Rare Candies will cause you to lose the effects of your earned effort values (ie not get the stat boost)

Shinies: Lots from chaining, several from SRing, a couple random ones. Just ask if you really care.

I suggest yuou stop playing pokemon right now, as it has clearly impaired your eyesight. Your inability to see the sticky topic withthe almost exact same title as this one just goes to prove that you are either staring at the screen for to long, or your excessive masturbation has actually lead to prepubescent blindness. My bets are on the former, but please, go see an optician now, before I have to warn you for being an idiot and reposting stuff because you don't bother to look before playing with the posting buttons.

...Where do you see that? O_o

Unless you use an EV-reducing Berry, EVs do not disappear. They stay if you raise a level, no matter HOW you raise the level, they stay if they're traded, they stay if they evolved. You do not have to gain all 255 EVs without gaining a level.

EDIT: Are you maybe misunderstanding this line?

Rare Candies: These items have NO ill effects on your Pokemon, they merely raise your Pokemon’s level without giving them any EVs.
    Emphasis mine--this just means that if you use a Rare Candy to level up, just like if you level up in the Daycare, your Pokemon won't gain any MORE EVs than it already has. It doesn't mean that any EVs you've already gotten disappear.
    RULES

Read. Learn.

Hey, I got a real urgent question.

I am ev training a shuckle and that cant be done by battling only with exp share. So I put the exp share on shuckle who has pokerus and battle with rayquaza with macho brace who has already maxed out the evs. How much ev does shuckle aern if ray kills a poke that gives 1 ev?

Hihidaruma
    Shibirudon
    Mebukijika
    Daikenki
    Kobalon
    Archeos

I believe it would gain 2 evs...

it doesn't matter how many EVs the rayquaza gets... and when using Exp Share I think the two pokemon both receive the same base EVs (1) and then the pokerus gives shuckle 2

EDIT:

my little rant from earlier was more pointed to this statement:

VERY IMPORTANT—Stat gain from EVs is NOT added up all at once, but gradually as your Pokemon gains levels. At LV 100, your Pokemon will have all the stat gain from EVs it is supposed to, but you may not see large stat gains all at once. For example, if you have a low level Pokemon battle 20 Zubat, you will not necessarily see a +5 gain when it levels up. However, you probably WILL see this kind of gain in a LV 50 Pokemon that’s just starting to battle.
    Last edited by ♪Crystal Mew♪; 4th July 2006 at 7:12 PM.

Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast