Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

has it actually been decided whether a pokemon can inherit all 3 stats from one parent, or if it's 2 from one parent and 1 from the other? i've heard it both ways...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWizard42 View Post
    has it actually been decided whether a pokemon can inherit all 3 stats from one parent, or if it's 2 from one parent and 1 from the other? i've heard it both ways...
    Right now I'm breeding for a quad-flawless Bold Natural Cure Chansey from two triple-flawless parents (this could take awhile), but when I get done with that I plan to put two compatible Pokemon with completely different IVs in the Daycare, hatch a few hundred eggs and, hopefully, answer that question.

Question

Today I hatched three Timid Natured Ralts with Synchronize. Here are the possible IVs, which do you think I should raise or if not, put in the day-care?

Ralts 1:

HP: 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
    Att: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
    Def: 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
    SpA: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
    SpD: 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
    Speed: 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Ralts 2

HP: 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
    Att: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
    Def: 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
    SpA: 30, 31
    SpD: 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
    Speed: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Ralts 3

HP: 0, 1, 2, 3
    Att: 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
    Def: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
    SpA: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
    SpD: 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
    Speed: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Thanks.
    Last edited by Scorpion1386; 6th August 2006 at 2:45 PM.
    Name: ANTJF Brawl Friend Code: 3093-6768-2145
    Name: Anthony Diamond FC: 0688 1731 1865

When I have used all my EVs, does the stat I get when level up depend on what pokemon I 'kill'? Or the pokemon I kill have nothing to do with my stat and its only when I have EV the pokemon I kill gives statpoints?

And can I get all the 63 statpoints on one level? Like if I have a pkmn on high level and kill 8-lvl zubats or so, I dont get so much exp, and then it will take a while to level up, but say after the 255 one I level up (not like it will take so much time), do I get all 63 points or is it like a maximum of 20 statpoints (example) on one level or I can get all 63 on one single level?
    Last edited by Crunch; 8th August 2006 at 3:18 AM.

I have a Squirtle, lvl 5 (Modest Nature) with these stats:

Hp: 20
    Attack: 10
    Defence: 12
    Sp. Attack: 9
    Sp. Defence: 12
    Speed: 9
    (no EVs)

How do I calculate its IVs?

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml
    At level 5 these equations won't be very accurate at all, so it's best to level up to at least 25 I recommend. Anyway, you get the idea for the main 5 stats, so let's just do the Hit Points one now cause I'm lazy. :P
    That was so mean.

WANT

PM me if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    When I have used all my EVs, does the stat I get when level up depend on what pokemon I 'kill'? Or the pokemon I kill have nothing to do with my stat and its only when I have EV the pokemon I kill gives statpoints?

And can I get all the 63 statpoints on one level? Like if I have a pkmn on high level and kill 8-lvl zubats or so, I dont get so much exp, and then it will take a while to level up, but say after the 255 one I level up (not like it will take so much time), do I get all 63 points or is it like a maximum of 20 statpoints (example) on one level or I can get all 63 on one single level?
    does "when i have used all my EVs" mean after you've maxed out EVs on that pokemon? after your EVs are full, what you kill has nothing to do with your stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onijon View Post
    I have a Squirtle, lvl 5 (Modest Nature) with these stats:

Hp: 20
    Attack: 10
    Defence: 12
    Sp. Attack: 9
    Sp. Defence: 12
    Speed: 9
    (no EVs)

How do I calculate its IVs?
    plug its stats into http://www.metalkid.org/PokemonTools...culateIVs.aspx

since it's level 5, you might get a range of up to 20 IVs, the equations aren't very precise yet. they'll be a lot more helpful at higher levels.

I have a question about my cacnea. It's not for offense. It has 30 IV's in HP, def, and sp. def.

Should I put 252 EV's into def and sp. def or should I spilt them up so some goes into hp, def and sp.def?

(Since it has calm nature ( + sp. def, - attack), I was thinking of putting 144 into hp, 196 into def, and 160 into sp. def).
    !

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_shoesXx View Post
    I have a question about my cacnea. It's not for offense. It has 30 IV's in HP, def, and sp. def.

Should I put 252 EV's into def and sp. def or should I spilt them up so some goes into hp, def and sp.def?

(Since it has calm nature ( + sp. def, - attack), I was thinking of putting 144 into hp, 196 into def, and 160 into sp. def).
    why would you make something that has 70/60/60 HP/Def/SDef into a defensive pokemon, especially when it has 115 in the attack stats?

oh well. 224 EVs in HP will give it 336 HP, for maximum leftovers recovery, and 178 Def / 108 SDef will give it roughly equal defenses. since it's not better at either defense, it's better to keep them equal.

Default gotta question

if i start EV training at level 5 will i still get teh same results if i was to start at level 20 ??

If there were no battles with it before level 20.
    Take it.

Im going to raise a mewtwo with 252 sp.att evs, if i use ev lowering berries to make sp.att evs to 0, does that mean i can ev train it in sp. att again, getting twice the boost?

Munchlax Master
    credit goes to uzumakikunai for the awesome Mewzelf

when you use the berries the stat goes down. so, having something with 252 EVs in SAtk, then using 26 hondew berries and training it to 252 EVs in SAtk would be exactly the same as not having used the berries at all.

using berries and re-EV training doesn't help, so don't bother.

Ok that helped a lot

Munchlax Master
    credit goes to uzumakikunai for the awesome Mewzelf

If I switch the first Pokemon in my party to another (in battle), and the other kill the pokemon I battling with, will the first one also get the EVs or only the exp.?
    Last edited by Crunch; 9th August 2006 at 8:44 PM.

BlueScarf Guest

is it necessary or better to use complex ev spreads for the battle frontier or is it more lax than online competitive battling? i want to use 252/252/6 and 252/129/129 spreads but i don't want to have to go retrain because my team is botched.

if it is better to use complex spreads, what goals should i have? i've been setting my standards for SpD at surviving a latios psychic and Def at surviving a machamp cross chop.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    If I switch the first Pokemon in my party to another (in battle), and the other kill the pokemon I battling with, will the first one also get the EVs or only the exp.?
    it will get both EVs and EXP.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueScarf View Post
    is it necessary or better to use complex ev spreads for the battle frontier or is it more lax than online competitive battling? i want to use 252/252/6 and 252/129/129 spreads but i don't want to have to go retrain because my team is botched.

if it is better to use complex spreads, what goals should i have? i've been setting my standards for SpD at surviving a latios psychic and Def at surviving a machamp cross chop.
    252/252/6 works for sweepers, and for tanks you can usually just max their HP and make their defenses about equal.

I am very confused. I was EV training my cacnea against whimsurs.

It held macho brace, and I switched it with a different pokemon in battle to kill the whimsurs for it. I have beaten 50 whimsurs, so I gain 100 EV's, right?

I tried giving it an HP UP and it said it won't have any effect. What did I do wrong?
    !

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_shoesXx View Post
    I am very confused. I was EV training my cacnea against whimsurs.

It held macho brace, and I switched it with a different pokemon in battle to kill the whimsurs for it. I have beaten 50 whimsurs, so I gain 100 EV's, right?

I tried giving it an HP UP and it said it won't have any effect. What did I do wrong?
    Once you get 100 Evs in a stat, you can't use a vitamin on that particular stat. So if you already have 100 Hp evs and try to use an HP Up, it won't work since you already have 100 HP EVs.

THANK god (figures I have exactly 100 when I decide to use it). That's a load off. I thought I had terribly messed up my cacnea whom took my many days to get it's IV's right. Thanks a lot.

edit: Aron only gives one EV and that is defence correct?
    Last edited by Fast_shoesXx; 11th August 2006 at 4:47 AM.
    !

For anyone who is interested in how IVs are inherited through breeding, I have checked the IVs of 48 Magikarp with the same parents to determine which parent passes down which IVs. The results, which I find a bit disheartening, can be found here:

http://gamescreens.mailandftp.com/Pokemon/Eggies.mht

If you can't view the page, PM me and I'll try to work out a better way to save it. I will occasionally update this chart, at least until it has a couple-hundred entries, although I don't think that will turn up anything new.
    Just because something can't be done doesn't mean it shouldn't be! - http://whompithian.spaces.live.com/

to add to whompithian's post on the previous page, in hatching chanseys recently i got at least 2 which had only 1 inherited IV, so it's not inconceivable to have 5 unique stats.

and the statistics on that chart are slightly skewed by the fact that even when an IV is randomly generated, there's a 1/16 (2/32) chance that it's the same as a parent's IV.

are you releasing them immediately, or keeping the better ones? 'cause magikarp 41 seems pretty promising. wonderfully outstanding, with a physical HP (Ghost, 62) and 30/25 in attack/speed

and fast_shoes, that's correct. aron gives 1 defense and nothing else.
    Last edited by WhiteWizard42; 15th August 2006 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWizard42 View Post
    and the statistics on that chart are slightly skewed by the fact that even when an IV is randomly generated, there's a 1/16 (2/32) chance that it's the same as a parent's IV.

are you releasing them immediately, or keeping the better ones? 'cause magikarp 41 seems pretty promising. wonderfully outstanding, with a physical HP (Ghost, 62) and 30/25 in attack/speed
    Once I get all of my Magikarp on that chart, I plan to write in an explanation of the odds. But, that will have to wait.

I've been releasing the little beggars immediately. It makes it easier to keep track of who's next in line and I don't really expect any of them to actually be worth keeping, even #41 (you may recall from the Chansey I was breeding for, I have rediculous standards). Although, now that you bring it up, I do notice some with flawless IVs (one of them in Speed) that would certainly be worthwhile for breeding. I think I will pay more attention to what I throw out. Thanks!
    Last edited by Whompithian; 16th August 2006 at 3:34 AM.
    Just because something can't be done doesn't mean it shouldn't be! - http://whompithian.spaces.live.com/

OK my tyranitar is level 73 and has spec defense 169 and i see the indidvidual Value it has 48% how do i increase it to 100%

Yesterday I was checking my friend's Milotic's IVs and it had flawless IVs in every stat!

Whompithian, which version are you using? The reason I ask is because Pokemon Forever said they fixed IV inheritance in Emerald, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem like it. (although I'm not sure, since I calculated their IVs before I created my own stat calculator. )
    A signature so short, it's
    Slim.

Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast