Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

i think with carbos, iron etc. you get the 4 ev- means 1 stat boost i little after u give it to them but im not sure at all.
    Last edited by ijea4444; 21st April 2006 at 2:50 AM.

the vitamins give you 10 EVs, not 4

i mean for every 4 evs u get you get a i poinnt bonus on your stats so i mean the 4 evs so in his case i think it was 4 so he had 4o evs so he should have gotten a 10 point stat boost.

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Rekkuza Ryuu*~
    I never bothered to keep track of my pokemon's EV's, something which became a problem for me. Serebii's Pokemon of the week says to max out it's defense and HP, so to be safe, should I just EV train it in defense for one level, then EV train it in HP alternating levels?

Also, are EV gains spread out? I gave 10 Calciums to my Lugia, which should have given it a 25 point boost in sp. attack, but it only went up 3-4 points.
    well, to begin with, the stat changes happen immediately upon feeding the pokemon the vitamin, so if you only saw the 3-4 stat change on leveling up, that's why. also, unless your pokemon is level 100, they don't get full benefit from EVs right away. if your pokemon is at level 49, and gains 104 EVs in a stat (from something other than vitamins, because i'm talking about it all being calculated at the same time), they'd gain 13 extra points on leveling up, not 26.

Quote Originally Posted by TRJessie579
    Antero - I used to know this...I BELIEVE it's the stat the Pokemon will have at LV 25 (with no EVs, Nature, etc) but I'm not completely sure.

EDIT: Okay, I'm wrong on the base stats thing... XD The only thing I can find about them is that they're "used in the formulas that calculate a Pokemon's stats." So maybe they're not anything specific, they're just bits of data that determine how high each species of Pokemons' stats can go.
    with a neutral nature, and 0 IVs and EVs, a pokemon's stats at level 50 will be their base in that stat + 5. the exception to this is HP, which is their base stat, + 10 + their level.

this is because the stat formulae are:

((((base*2)+(IVs)+(EVs/4, rounded down))*level/100)+5)*personality for non-HP stats and
    ((((base*2)+(IVs)+(EVs/4, rounded down))*level/100)+10+level) for HP.

with no IVs, EVs, or personality modifier, you're left with:

(2base*level/100)+5 which simplifies to
    (base*level/50)+5

if level = 50, it cancels and leaves you with base + 5 for your stat. do the same for HP, you get:

(base*level/100)+10+level and the same applies if level = 50 again, leaving you with the thing i posted above.
    Last edited by WhiteWizard42; 21st April 2006 at 2:26 AM.

eddmeister Guest

so if i max out the poke's IV's and i use therare candies so i dont have to train it forever will it still get the EV bonus(more to that stat...)?

Quote Originally Posted by eddmeister
    so if i max out the poke's IV's and i use therare candies so i dont have to train it forever will it still get the EV bonus(more to that stat...)?
    As long as you max out the evs... (all 510) then no matter how u level up, by battle or candies, then the pokemon will recieve its full bonus.

In my recent breeding quests for pokemon with flawless IVs, I am in the process of coming up with a standardized convention to identify which of my key pokemon for breeding purposes have flawless IVs based on what the breeding expert says in battle frontier in emerald. I've been using the markings and have named my pokemon with abbreviations, but there's a certain limit to the naming. In a different topic, I saw Volteon used numbers from 1-6. I'm considering the first letter of each stat as follows:

H = HP
    A = Attack
    D = Defense

This is where it gets tricky so I've come up with as follows:

S = Speed
    Y = Special Attack (vowel like A in attack)
    Z = Special Defense (Z as in zinc)

In my current breedings involving a spinda with flawless hp/attack/speed and a meditite, I nicknamed my spinda as "SpinHAS". Here's how I forsee certain nickname examples:

DModHYS = modest ditto with flawless hp/sp.att/speed
    DBoldHDZ = bold ditto with flawless hp/defense/sp.def
    DAdamHAS = adamant ditto with flawless hp/attack/speed
    DCareADZ = careful ditto with flawless attack/defense/sp.def
    DCalmHYZ = calm ditto with flawless hp/sp.att/sp.def

SmearHAS = smeargle with flawless hp/attack/speed

Hopefully this should help.

Default ...

Hi all,

Just a quick question. 'Bout EV training..

- Generally how long does it take to max out the EV's
    - If all EV's were maxed by level 90, could rare candies be used to get to Lv100.
    Paired with Winry Rockbell. Whooo!

Nip / Tucked by Dr Christian Troy

-If you start training them while they are lvl 5, they're maxed out around 26.
    -You can use Rare Candy's after that, because it already has it EV's.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2qn42l1.jpg[/IMG]
    [Credits to Saffire Persian for this banner!]

TYRANITARDUDE Guest

Unhappy this is my team

here it is:
    sceptile
    lv:36
    fury cutter
    pursuit
    rock tomb
    leaf blade

swellow
    lv:35
    endeavor
    wing attack
    thief
    steel wing

gyarados
    thrash
    bite
    dragon rage
    surf

slaking
    slash
    secret power
    rock smash
    fury swipes

hope you like it.i only have 5 badges because i erased my game.

you should be able to ev train but that is to hard. i got no commenets sorry im no help. ( Feels sorry )

Hindering/neutral/beneficial natures. What is the best way to calculate which a pokemon has?

Also, Say I have a Vaporeon, with Beneficial nature, the site says he would have 251 for attack, does that mean I can EV train him and get him 255 more in that stat, or is 251 the maximum he can reach with EV training?

Stupid questions, I know, but I want to get this right.
    FC 4141-3205-9954
    Bug Type Safari with Pinsir. Just PM me your FC if you want to add me.

Also looking for shiny Sunkern and Rayquaza!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunkern
    Hindering/neutral/beneficial natures. What is the best way to calculate which a pokemon has?

Also, Say I have a Vaporeon, with Beneficial nature, the site says he would have 251 for attack, does that mean I can EV train him and get him 255 more in that stat, or is 251 the maximum he can reach with EV training?

Stupid questions, I know, but I want to get this right.
    just see what nature it has, and check the main site as to which stat it boosts/lowers. for example, if you check on your pokemon's summary screen, it says "_____ nature", then where and what level you met it.

also, the main site listing of max stat values assumes you have flawless IVs (all 31s), and have 252 EVs in that stat. also, remember that it takes 4 EVs to boost a stat 1 point. so, EV training can provide 63 extra points, not 255.

Thanks I follow the system perfectly now, I think.

EDIT - Regarding breeding, If you were to max a stat on both parents, would the infant automatically be able to reach that number with EV's, hence you can move on to the next stat with that poke, or do you need to go from scratch and hope its IV's were improved?
    Last edited by Sunkern; 29th April 2006 at 6:28 PM.
    FC 4141-3205-9954

given that 3 IVs are inherited, here's been the pattern with my recent breeding involving roselia & skitty:

Start:

male roselia with flawless hp/defense/sp.def/speed
    female delcatty with no flawless ivs

replaced delcatty with offspring skitty with flawless sp.def

replaced skitty with offspring skitty with flawless defense/sp.def

hope this is clear enough.

Thanks I follow the system perfectly now, I think.

EDIT - Regarding breeding, If you were to max a stat on both parents, would the infant automatically be able to reach that number with EV's, hence you can move on to the next stat with that poke, or do you need to go from scratch and hope its IV's were improved?
    i'm not quite sure what you're asking. but EVs aren't inherited.

Sorry, I didnt word that well. However the post above yours made me realise the answer to my question, so don't worry
    FC 4141-3205-9954

Okay, I have a question I couldn't find the answer to. In Emerald, the IV guy says it's "flawless" when your Pokemon's best IV is 31. But, if you have two that are 31, does he say both are flawless, or does he choose one to say is flawless?

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Emerald
    Okay, I have a question I couldn't find the answer to. In Emerald, the IV guy says it's "flawless" when your Pokemon's best IV is 31. But, if you have two that are 31, does he say both are flawless, or does he choose one to say is flawless?
    he chooses one at random. talk to him a few times for each pokemon, so he has a chance to say all their flawlesses.

So u should do that about like 10 times to make sure. That is what i do.

hmaster10 Guest

when talking to the pokemon breeder at BF, can i use the hatch pokemon immediately to show him and tell me the IV of it or the pokemon should gain levels first?

Quote Originally Posted by hmaster10
    when talking to the pokemon breeder at BF, can i use the hatch pokemon immediately to show him and tell me the IV of it or the pokemon should gain levels first?
    IVs don't change as it levels up. you'll get exactly the same response whether you bring it to him at level 5 or level 100.

the reason why people usually have to raise levels before figuring out IVs is because all they're given to work with is the final stats, which are rounded. but the higher-level the stats you're trying to work backward from are, the more accurate your IV range is. since the breeder at BF is in the game, and has access to the information that's hidden from us, he's always right.

Okay, I've been HP training my Grovyle, and simultaneously Swellow with exp. Share. I just wanted to make sure I am getting the right results.

Grovyle= 2x Levelled up, each time 10 HP gain.
    Swellow= 3x levelled up, 5,6,6 HP gain.

Do these numbers sound right? This is battling Whismurs, I battled 180 to get to the above numbers.
    FC 4141-3205-9954

Okay, I've been HP training my Grovyle, and simultaneously Swellow with exp. Share. I just wanted to make sure I am getting the right results.

Grovyle= 2x Levelled up, each time 10 HP gain.
    Swellow= 3x levelled up, 5,6,6 HP gain.

Do these numbers sound right? This is battling Whismurs, I battled 180 to get to the above numbers.
    seems like it's working. when your stat boosts go back down to 3 or less, you're probably maxed out on that stat.

also, you can speed it up by giving your grovyle a macho brace, if you haven't already.

How are IVs passed down in breeding? Do they come from one parent only?

Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast