Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

Here's an example of a male mild seviper I just got:

father: golduck: flawless hp/defense/sp.att/speed
    mother: seviper: flawless sp.att/speed

offspring: male mild seviper: flawless hp/sp.att/speed/attack

it obviously got hp from its father and got sp.att & speed from either parents. flawless attack was luckily random this time.

I've just started EV training and I was wondering, How do all of you people who EV train alot do it? Just fight every pokemon you see?

go to areas that have a lot of pokemon that give the EVs you're looking for (for example, route 113 (?) for special attack, with spinda and slugma, or 118/altering cave for speed.

Im Ev Training My Bagon On Her Attack Nature Careful Lv.13

Hp=36
    Attack=29
    Defense=21
    Sp.atk=15
    Sp.def=14
    Speed=19

Do This Look Good Or Bad?
    MAN IM THE BEST TRAINER THEIR IS IM ON FIRE!
    THE ROCK HARD TRAINER>_<
    ~5O4 BOYZ~

90% of serebii's popualation disklike/hate pikachu. If you are one of those 90% copy and paste dis into your sig and together we will takedown that little yellow b*stard! ^^ (Started by XxGreivousxX)

Do you keep track of your Ev progress? If so, how?

And also, People say that they breed pokemon with flawless sp. Atk. and such, and their offspring have flawless sp. atk. Does that mean that you can have maxed stats on newborn pokemon?
    Last edited by houndoom15; 8th May 2006 at 9:40 PM.

SandwichDad Guest

I messed up somehow. I'm training my Venusaur for the EV spread 252 HP/252SDef/6 Speed. I gave my lvl 5 Bulbasuar 10 HP Ups and 10 Zincs and took it out into the big bad world, using the Exp. Share and Macho Brace to defeat the equivalent of 152 Whismur, 152 Tentacool and 6 Zubat. It was at lvl 30 when I completed this process, which is about average for me to complete EV training. But, when I went to the lady next to the Energy Guru in Slateport, she said that I haven't gotten all of my EVs yet. So, I figured I'd miscounted once or twice, went back and defeated 5 more Tentacool and 5 more Whismur. Went back and the lady told me the same thing!!! I've gone back and defeated a bunch more Tentacool and Whismur. I don't really want to go back and try more Zubat because I don't want that speed to take away any of the EVs that I want to go toward HP and SDef. I'm at a complete loss of how a 31 year old man with a college degree in information technology can be unable to count!!!!

I guess my question is: if I go back and keep battling Tentacool and Whismur, with the EVs earned after 255 just not count, or will they not be applied to the stat, but take away from the possibility of earning more EVs in another stat?

For example, if my Venusaur defeats 510 Whismur, it will only get 255 EVs. Will those extra 255 EVs that it got not count toward anything, or will they prevent me from doing my S Def training?

Quote Originally Posted by houndoom15
    Do you keep track of your Ev progress? If so, how?

And also, People say that they breed pokemon with flawless sp. Atk. and such, and their offspring have flawless sp. atk. Does that mean that you can have maxed stats on newborn pokemon?
    in breeding, the baby inherits 3 of its parents IVs. so if the mother has a 31 IV in attack, and the father has a 31 in defense, the baby has a significantly higher chance of having flawless attack and/or defense IVs. the baby may have max IVs, but all newly caught/hatched pokemon start with 0 EVs in everything, so it can't be absolutely maxed.

and as for keeping track of EVs gained, i use the PP of the moves i'm using to KO the wild pokemon. for example, my heracross is holding an EXP share and my gardevoir is KOing shuppet with psychic and thunderbolt. heracross gains 1 EV per PP used, so 10 trips of 25 KOs (psychic's 10 and thunderbolt's 15) each leaves it with 2 EVs left to gain, so i hand it a macho brace and make it get a kill of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by SandwichDad
    I messed up somehow. I'm training my Venusaur for the EV spread 252 HP/252SDef/6 Speed. I gave my lvl 5 Bulbasuar 10 HP Ups and 10 Zincs and took it out into the big bad world, using the Exp. Share and Macho Brace to defeat the equivalent of 152 Whismur, 152 Tentacool and 6 Zubat. It was at lvl 30 when I completed this process, which is about average for me to complete EV training. But, when I went to the lady next to the Energy Guru in Slateport, she said that I haven't gotten all of my EVs yet. So, I figured I'd miscounted once or twice, went back and defeated 5 more Tentacool and 5 more Whismur. Went back and the lady told me the same thing!!! I've gone back and defeated a bunch more Tentacool and Whismur. I don't really want to go back and try more Zubat because I don't want that speed to take away any of the EVs that I want to go toward HP and SDef. I'm at a complete loss of how a 31 year old man with a college degree in information technology can be unable to count!!!!

I guess my question is: if I go back and keep battling Tentacool and Whismur, with the EVs earned after 255 just not count, or will they not be applied to the stat, but take away from the possibility of earning more EVs in another stat?

For example, if my Venusaur defeats 510 Whismur, it will only get 255 EVs. Will those extra 255 EVs that it got not count toward anything, or will they prevent me from doing my S Def training?
    any extra you may earn in a stat is simply not counted. you can defeat 1000 whismur, then 1000 tentacool, and still get 255 each in HP and SDef.

keep in mind, however, that the 4 you got in speed will keep you from hitting maximum on whichever one you train second, as you'll only get 251 EVs in that stat.
    Last edited by WhiteWizard42; 9th May 2006 at 9:40 PM.

I heard somewhere that Lucky Egg also doubles the Ev's, is this true?
    Paired with Winry Rockbell. Whooo!

Nip / Tucked by Dr Christian Troy

Yes, this is true.
    <-(will trade 1st 2, preferably for shinies)
    thanks to Bonemerang for the TC!

Quote Originally Posted by v_legendary25
    lucky egg does nothing to EVs. it simply multiplies EXP gained by the pokemon holding it by 1.5

2 different answers there :S

But WhiteWizard is definitly right.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2qn42l1.jpg[/IMG]
    [Credits to Saffire Persian for this banner!]

When is a good level to start EV training?
    My Team

Made by my good friend Charizard Champion#06
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Puberty is for the weak. I was born a man.
    LOL

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 3480 2939 6419
    Pm Me to add.
    PSN ID: CM-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by CharizardMaster
    When is a good level to start EV training?
    as soon as possible. if you raise it levels when not EV training, it can get EVs in undesirable stats. you could, if you want, rare candy it up to a level where it can KO the wild pokemon needed for the EVs, but it's really a waste of rare candies.

just give it an exp share, and have a stronger member of your team defeat spinda or zubat or whatever gives the EVs you want.

Say I have a charmander that I want to EV train. I make it hold the Exp. Share, and my stronger pokemon holds the Macho Brace. Now, I defeat a Spinda. Will the Charmander get 2 EVs in SAtk, or just 1?

The Macho Brace's EV doubling only applies to the Pokemon that's holding it.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Okay, thanks.

Can someone confirm that placing a pokemon in the daycare centre does not affect its Ev's and only raise in terms of level. Using the daycare is identical to using rare candies?

Quote Originally Posted by v_legendary25
    Can someone confirm that placing a pokemon in the daycare centre does not affect its Ev's and only raise in terms of level. Using the daycare is identical to using rare candies?
    yes. the only problem with the daycare, in my experience, is that it overwrites moves while it's in there (for example, if you leave a level 5 ralts in there that knows psychic, thunderbolt, hypnosis and calm mind from breeding, and it grows 11 levels, it'll have lost psychic, thunderbolt, and hypnosis for confusion, double team, and teleport.)

xPokerusx Guest

Can someone help me please.How many evs does lombre give.The main site says 1 but i thought it would be 2 seeing as it is a evo.I just wanted to double check.

Yes it gives two, every other site sais that, so dont worry. (serebii made a mistake)

Pokemon Y Friend Code 4356-0012-3407
    Poison Safari: Toxicroak, Ariados, Cascoon

Currently looking for a US shiny Gengar code!
    I have a EU shiny Gengar code to trade in return!

xPokerusx Guest

Aww man.That means i counted my evs wrong and i dont know how many lombres i fought.
    Thanks for the answer FireHead Hank.

k3wlcole Guest

Today the Energy Guru was selling vitamins for half off so I decided to feed my lv. 5 Jirachi 10 of each. He only gained 1 stat in every caterogory except HP because only 1 HP UP had an effect and it didn't do anything.

Why was he only able to accept one HP UP and only 1 stat in every category?
    If I keep it like this (I reset) will he have more better stat gains in the future (I gained levels with it and only got average stat gains like 2,3,4)?

I read the guide but it didn't answer this clear enough

Quote Originally Posted by k3wlcole
    Today the Energy Guru was selling vitamins for half off so I decided to feed my lv. 5 Jirachi 10 of each. He only gained 1 stat in every caterogory except HP because only 1 HP UP had an effect and it didn't do anything.

Why was he only able to accept one HP UP and only 1 stat in every category?
    If I keep it like this (I reset) will he have more better stat gains in the future (I gained levels with it and only got average stat gains like 2,3,4)?

I read the guide but it didn't answer this clear enough
    You can give a pokemon only ten of a vitamin, so it gets 100 Ev's(for the stat the fed vitamin is). You wont recognize the stat change in the early levels, but it will have a higher stat in attack(fo expample) at lv. 50, if you gave him proteins, than the same pokemon that you havent fed the proteins, at the same level. Hope this helps.
    But I really suggest that you should read the sticky if want to EV train your Pokemon.

Pokemon Y Friend Code 4356-0012-3407
    Poison Safari: Toxicroak, Ariados, Cascoon

Currently looking for a US shiny Gengar code!
    I have a EU shiny Gengar code to trade in return!

k3wlcole Guest

Thanks but I still don't understand why it only takes 1 HP UP if it can have 10 and its HP is only at 25...

Also, what do you think is the best nature of a Jirachi to train: Hasty or Calm?

Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast