Thread: Bug-Catching Contest

Default Bug-Catching Contest

Gold and Silver introduced the Bug-Catching Contests which occurred every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at National Park. What were your thoughts and opinions on these competitions? Please explain your answers in detail.

Personally, I thought they were a watered-down Safari Zone. I liked the idea behind them though and how we could earn prizes, but the Bug-types available for capture were...underwhelming.

I remember waking up early on Saturdays to enter the Bug Catching Contest on Gold version to seek out rare bug types like Scyther and Pinsir hee hee. I got first place in most of the campaigns that I entered and had a stockpile of Sun Stones as a result. :3

I found these competitions to be fun except for the time limit and lack of good Bug types to catch. Yanma and Spinarak should've been found there instead of appearing elsewhere.

I usually had fun with the Bug Catching Contests, though I don't remember ever managing to win one. It could be frustrating, though, to spend the whole time running around looking for a Scyther or a Pinsir or some other "exotic" Pokemon only to come in second or third to a Caterpie. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Glaceona View Post
    I usually had fun with the Bug Catching Contests, though I don't remember ever managing to win one. It could be frustrating, though, to spend the whole time running around looking for a Scyther or a Pinsir or some other "exotic" Pokemon only to come in second or third to a Caterpie. :P
    This was generally my experience. I mostly used it to try and catch the more exotic bugs anyways tho. That or I would shoot for whatever position got me a sun stone. Gotta get that sunflora and bellossom XD

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    I remember waking up early on Saturdays to enter the Bug Catching Contest on Gold version to seek out rare bug types like Scyther and Pinsir hee hee. I got first place in most of the campaigns that I entered and had a stockpile of Sun Stones as a result. :3
    This is what I did on my Gold, too. For quite a while, I would start my Saturdays off by participating in the Bug Catching Contest.
    Scyther and Pinsir were my most commonly caught Pokemon.

However, I didn't win too often...I got some Sun Stones, but most of the time I came third or didn't place at all. I had a lot of fun with the contest, but it was sometimes pretty frustrating when I lost still hate Cooltrainer Nick.
    >>// \\<<

I liked this competition. I don't remember winning Sun Stones too often, though, but I don't mind. The only thing I disliked about it was the fact the best Bug Pokemon available were all Generation I ones, although in the Johto games, this kind of thing isn't unheard of.

I never won the Contest during Gen 2 but in the remakes I won three times. Once with a Scyther, the second with a Butterfree, and the third I think with Kricketune. I remember one of the wins was definitely with one of the non Johto Pokémon.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

I enjoyed these mini competitions at first when I tinkered with Gold and Silver, but eventually finding common Kanto Bug-types and a few rare ones like Strike (Scyther) and Kailos (Pinsir) got bothersome. I think that the execution of the Bug-Catching Contests could've been better.

These competitions were fun although I only got to try them on Saturdays when there was no school. I wish Johto Bug mons could've been found in these contests though.

Quote Originally Posted by ᎠᎬȺᎢḤ View Post
    These competitions were fun although I only got to try them on Saturdays when there was no school. I wish Johto Bug mons could've been found in these contests though.
    I definitely agree with that. Hard-to-find Jouto Bug-types such as Kunugidama (Pineco), Heracross, and Yanyanma (Yanma) for instance should have been available in the Bug-Catching Contest. It would've added diversity and made these competitions slightly less repetitive.