Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official GSC Programming & Beta Glitch Thread

Default Official GSC Programming & Beta Glitch Thread

This thread is for the posting of programming information regarding Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal. The information contained in this thread has been deemed important enough to be made a sticky.
    ---

Hello! My name is Gulzar, and I am a Pokémon Programming Expert. I have always been fascinated with the programming of videogames, especially Pokémon. A few years ago, I became fascinated with “beta” programming. Beta programming is anything that was left in the programming by the original programmers that was not intended for the final product. As I have found, Pokémon games are filled with beta programming. This sticky pertains to the beta programming of Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Some of what I have found can be seen in this sticky.
    In my search for beta programming, I have discovered maps, music, text, houses, and trainers that were not in the final release of the game. People have not always believed me, as some of my finds have been stunning. The first few posts in this sticky reflect the mood first felt when I displayed my finds. As the sticky goes on, you will see that the mood gradually changes from skepticism to praise. I hope you will agree that the finds here, found not only by me, are worthy of praise.
    ---

(note: not all of the below items were found by Gulzar)

Beta Finds:

Finds:
    Mt. Silver
    Lake of Rage City
    Cherrygrove
    Violet*
    Goldenrod*
    Ecruteak*
    Olivine*
    Mahogany
    Beta Town*
    Beta Town 2*
    Beta Town 3
    Beta Town 4*
    Beta Route 23
    Beta Team Rocket Hide-Out FB1
    Beta Team Rocket Hide-Out F1
    Beta Team Rocket Hide-Out F2
    Cinnabar Lab entrance*
    Cinnabar Lab room 1*
    Cinnabar Lab room 2*
    Cinnabar Lab room 3
    Cave 1
    Cave 2
    Cave 3
    Cave 4
    Cave 5
    *map’s in-game tileset was edited for ease of viewing

Other Beta Threads:
    Beta Olivine House
    Beta Music
    Teru-Sama
    Safari Zone

Key Contributors:
    Gulzar
    ~Bent~
    Darrill
    muckers

+--------------First Post------------------+

After playing around with the programming of my Gold version, I came across two strange maps:

Strange map 1

Strange map 2

These images are not made up or tampered with (except maybe the house roof color, because of the editing program I use). I personally wonder what they are doing in the game, and where they are supposed to be. What is your opinion?
    Last edited by Gulzar; 21st April 2007 at 5:36 AM.

I have no clue for the first one, but I believe the second one is Lake of Rage Town. It was in the beta version of the game, but not the final. I guess the coding must have still been there.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Emerald
    I have no clue for the first one, but I believe the second one is Lake of Rage Town. It was in the beta version of the game, but not the final. I guess the coding must have still been there.
    Ummm sorry to sound n00bish but what's a beta version?
    do you believe in magic?

credit to mah bffl. <3
    pair is ICE CUBED // bffl is §Suicune§

PersianKing Guest

It is basically the Uncut version of the game. the final version has things taken out that they decided wasnt needed for it.

The first image might be a prototype of the real MT. Silver
    The second one is Lake of Rage Town that got taken out, but you can still fly to the real Lake of Rage

Now just how did he get it to be all cool like that? I want my Lake of Rage to be like that...and my Mount Silver.

~Formerly Known as Celebi93~
    ~Currently Known as Serebii93~
    Join!>[IMG]http://i1.*******.com/rlyrys.jpg[/IMG]<Join!
    ^New Location! Please Join!^
    ^Credit to Saffire Persian for this AWESOME Banner!^
    Join!><Join!

Quote Originally Posted by Celebi93
    Now just how did he get it to be all cool like that? I want my Lake of Rage to be like that...and my Mount Silver.
    He said "After playing around with the programming". But I'd also like to know what exactly did you do? Like open up the cartrage? ect.
    do you believe in magic?

credit to mah bffl. <3
    pair is ICE CUBED // bffl is §Suicune§

meh, interesting. . .hmm

Sorry if I wasn’t clear before, but when I said I had been playing around with the programming I meant that I had been reading the programming and converting the programming into images. And also, my Lake of Rage and Mt. Silver is normal just like everyone else’s. The maps that I found are distinctly separate from Lake of Rage and Mt. Silver in the game. Overall, your ideas have been very interesting.

It's quite obvious that he second one is the lake of rage. It looks exactly like the original, exept for the left side of the picture.

The first one is a little less obvious. I'm sure that it is Mt. Silver, but still, instead of being a horizontal maze, it's a vertical maze. It does have that pokecenter, making it one of only a few caves, so it would have to be Mt. Silver considering all the other caves save one are from Kanto and therefore not allowed to be tampered.

Good find.

I confused the first one with Lake of Rage because it has that type of grassy field, and the house and cave are roughly where the center and cave are. The second one is the coolest too a gym too!
    Used to be Absolkid, -Absol-, Former Absolkid and Cipher Admin Absolkid!

I know Absolkid, hmm... I think the first is some area around Mt. Silver and the other is the top part of Lake of Rage, aww I wish we could've gone there

From another website, I saw the secret maps, there was also a Cinibar Island Lab map.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulzar
    After playing around with the programming of my Gold version, I came across two strange maps:

Strange map 1

Strange map 2

These images are not made up or tampered with (except maybe the house roof color, because of the editing program I use). I personally wonder what they are doing in the game, and where they are supposed to be. What is your opinion?
    I'm sceptic... I've never seen that O_o;

What did you do, then, if it is real/

You used a ROM. That's the ONLY way you can get pictures of that quality u_u You can't take that kind of picture of a cartridge, for it would only be a camera picture of your Gameboy screen.

I doubt your findings greatly, unless you managed to pulled a Recon Dye on us :/
    Banner by SapphireL!

If you can so cleanly convert the programming to images, there is obviously a hex offset, or a bank number. Would you care to share either of these numbers? And, what editing program you used. These are crucial to the authentication of your maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by liquinn
    meh, interesting. . .hmm
    Way to contribute, liquinn. :Đ

I have no idea how you managed to get hold of this, since it would have certainly been removed before any release, but I believe that they might have thought that a town shold be placed around Lake of Rage and the second one might be Mt. Silver, like suggested. Perhaps the Lake of Rage town was moved into today's Mahogony Town?

P.S. I've never seen the coding of any Pokemon game. What is it like? Is it compiled into some low-level nonsence or can it still be read? Binary pehaps?

[PI Forums|Magma HQ|Kikkoman!]
    Teal'c: Are you considering the same tactic as I?
    O'Neill: Teal'c, the cliché is "are you thinking what I'm thinking". And the answer is "yes".

Ahh, skeptics, skeptics. You are correct, Dunsparce, that I do not take pictures of my gameboy screen. As I stated before, I convert the hex values into visual images using a program. That program is, Locke Yggdrasill, an enhanced version of Goldmap. I will give you the offsets to satisfy curiosity, and curiosity only:

Map 1:
    Start offset = $A9A37
    End offset = $A9B9E

Map 2:
    Start offset = $AC180
    End offset = $AC2E7

I hope this answers your questions . Oh, and Magma Leader Maxie, the programming of all gameboy color games is in hexadecimal, just like the offsets I gave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunsparce
    I'm sceptic... I've never seen that O_o;

What did you do, then, if it is real/

You used a ROM. That's the ONLY way you can get pictures of that quality u_u You can't take that kind of picture of a cartridge, for it would only be a camera picture of your Gameboy screen.

I doubt your findings greatly, unless you managed to pulled a Recon Dye on us :/
    What's wrong with using a rom. There's nothing, now go back to your hole.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

marioguy, it’s ok that people are skeptic and critical. I would just like some input as to what people think of these maps. But now, another question for people: What do you think happened to these maps and why weren’t they included in the gameplay?

Question Number Thing-a-ma-bobs

Quote Originally Posted by Gulzar
    Ahh, skeptics, skeptics. You are correct, Dunsparce, that I do not take pictures of my gameboy screen. As I stated before, I convert the hex values into visual images using a program. That program is, Locke Yggdrasill, an enhanced version of Goldmap. I will give you the offsets to satisfy curiosity, and curiosity only:

Map 1:
    Start offset = $A9A37
    End offset = $A9B9E

Map 2:
    Start offset = $AC180
    End offset = $AC2E7

I hope this answers your questions . Oh, and Magma Leader Maxie, the programming of all gameboy color games is in hexadecimal, just like the offsets I gave.
    How do you use those numbers? How exactly did you mess with the programming? I really want to know.

~Formerly Known as Celebi93~
    ~Currently Known as Serebii93~
    Join!>[IMG]http://i1.*******.com/rlyrys.jpg[/IMG]<Join!
    ^New Location! Please Join!^
    ^Credit to Saffire Persian for this AWESOME Banner!^
    Join!><Join!

I believe you can also use CrysMap to find those, with no offsets.

And yes everybody, they are real maps, not fan made.

Well those are definitely interesting, possible BETA maps which were edited/removed from the final version. The first map is obviously an entrance to some cave but I don't know whether there's any place similar to that since I haven't played for ages *shrugs*.

But the second map is obviously the BETA Lake of Rage & Town, with a Gym. ^___^
    Twins with CharizardMaster.

Meh. When you say enhanced, did you tamper with the programming yourself, Gulzar, or is it something I can find on a website somewhere? I personally own a copy of gold map, although I'm not big on g/S/C hacking, so I'm still trying to figure out all of the gizmos. I'm used to Advanced Map and Elite Map. e.e;

Right, this may seem a bit of a stupid question but can someone link me to Goldmap (if it's not allowed over the forums, then just a PM)?

I wouldn't mind trying this out myself, but all the links to Pokemon Hacking tools (which would've included Goldmap) either timeout or the site is no longer about.

Thanks.

After reading Celebi93’s post, it became clear to me that there is some confusion as to what I did to get those two maps. I use the program Goldmap to view the beta images. I am not editing or changing anything that is in the game. The offset values I gave are used in an editing program like Goldmap to view parts of the game’s programming such as a map. And Locke Yggdrasill, when I said enhanced I mean that I altered how Goldmap functions (i.e. I changed the programming of the program). I changed the program so that I can view the maps more easily and quickly.
    Thanks to everyone for the imput.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast