Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Official GSC Programming & Beta Glitch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gulzar
    Here is another beta cave:

Beta Cave 4
    What about Beta cave 3? I didn't see one called that. only one and two O_o;

Anyways, this is one of the most awesome threads on the ENTIRE SITE.
    Banner by SapphireL!

Sceptre Guest

Good finds. I wonder what was the gym that would've lost out to the Lake, though. Probably Olvine's, because that was only a one-trainer gym (fair enough, so was Blaine and Blue, but that was Kanto)

According to my Goldmap and my gold rom, that map in the first post isn't the elite 4 entrance, it's Kanto's old Viridian forest before they trashed it for the smaller one.

Do you have any means by which to verify this? It looks nothing like the Viridian Forest. :<

Good eye, Dunsparce. This is Beta Cave 4:

I didn’t include it at because it looked too perfect to be a beta map. I have such a bad memory that I don’t remember seeing it in regular gameplay: therefore I assume it isn’t beta. Correct me if I’m wrong, though. And also, this thread is pretty cool, but that’s because Pokémon Gold’s programming is so detailed. Also, the many ideas from the commentators in this thread help a lot.

Crystal Clair: interesting guess as to the “Strange Map 1.” A word of caution, though: Goldmap is notoriously inaccurate (without the programming changes I have made), and it would not be wise to rely solely on its information. I have checked the programming area around “Strange Map 1” and found that the Beta Goldenrod map is right below it. This leads me to believe that it was a Johto map, and not from Kanto. Also, the cave at the top of the map would make it unlikely to be Viridian Forest. The most likely place it is, and others would agree, is a beta version of Route 28, a.k.a. Mt. Silver. And yes, Route 28 is in Johto, even though it isn’t on the Johto map. Just a reminder, this is all speculation, and by no means do I know where every bit of Pokémon Gold programming goes.

Also, another beta cave, but not a very special one:

Beta Cave 5

It is difficult to tell where it was intended to go. Suggestions?

I found another beta map just by chance. It’s Beta Ecruteak City.

Beta Ecruteak

As you can see, the tileset is quite a bit different than the regular Ecruteak City tileset. In other words, no there weren’t any whirlpools planned for Ecruteak. Below is my idea of what the correct tileset would look like.

Idealized Beta Ecruteak

I hope this is interesting. Also,…

Waffles: I use a hex viewer to find the maps and tilesets and then use Goldmap to view the maps as image files. How I find the maps with the hex viewer is a little more complicated than that, and I consider it to be too difficult to try and explain on the forum. The technique I use is also somewhat of a trade secret, but I wouldn’t mind explaining it in a lengthy email.

I will continue looking for maps. I hope to find another cave soon.

The Ecruteak City is WEIRD. O_o

The idealized one is much more clear. But how could they get the Ecruteak city gym badge when they need to pass a passage and if you don't need the badge then you can also go straight to the Tin Tower.

I don't realy get it, But hey!

Stanley's Trainer Card Request Shoppie

A fired up trainer card wouldn't hurt. (No. I don't make the ones in the tc link.)

My Sprites | Trainer Cards | Website | E-Mail Me | XIII Blades

That Beta Cave 5 totally beats me. It seems like scrambled random data but it could be meant for something... maybe.

Off-Topic: Locke is leaving???? O.O Noo!! Bye... There goes a good member of SPPF

Trainer Card made by IceDragon

My bishie... The One-Winged Angel...

Banner made by me!

Before you made this topic, I was thinking about making it, but I just didn't want to.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

I think there might be a little more to Kanto than data ongame shows... any clues?
    I wrote the RBY and GSC pages on serebii.net

https://twitter.com/cifalacus

Insanity Guest

Good eye, Dunsparce. This is Beta Cave 4:

I didn’t include it at because it looked too perfect to be a beta map. I have such a bad memory that I don’t remember seeing it in regular gameplay: therefore I assume it isn’t beta. Correct me if I’m wrong, though. And also, this thread is pretty cool, but that’s because Pokémon Gold’s programming is so detailed. Also, the many ideas from the commentators in this thread help a lot.

Crystal Clair: interesting guess as to the “Strange Map 1.” A word of caution, though: Goldmap is notoriously inaccurate (without the programming changes I have made), and it would not be wise to rely solely on its information. I have checked the programming area around “Strange Map 1” and found that the Beta Goldenrod map is right below it. This leads me to believe that it was a Johto map, and not from Kanto. Also, the cave at the top of the map would make it unlikely to be Viridian Forest. The most likely place it is, and others would agree, is a beta version of Route 28, a.k.a. Mt. Silver. And yes, Route 28 is in Johto, even though it isn’t on the Johto map. Just a reminder, this is all speculation, and by no means do I know where every bit of Pokémon Gold programming goes.

Also, another beta cave, but not a very special one:

Beta Cave 5

It is difficult to tell where it was intended to go. Suggestions?
    I'm not completely sure how this program works (never used it) or how the Pokémon tiles are layered, but it looks like the 5th beta cave was meant to have those holes you drop boulders into... and that the tiles around them are onl another layer or something. Does it display every layer at once? Are there even more than one layer? ... Etc.

I should try this program O_o

Also, sort of unrelated, but does anyone know what GBC games are programmed in? (I don't mean hex, I mean the programming language) (Edit: Sorry if this has been answered, I only read the first, fourth and fifth pages XD)

I'm starting to think that these are just bits of unused coding.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity
    Also, sort of unrelated, but does anyone know what GBC games are programmed in? (I don't mean hex, I mean the programming language) (Edit: Sorry if this has been answered, I only read the first, fourth and fifth pages XD)
    I would imagine they're coded in C++ or Assembler. The fairly close-to-machine-code programming languages.

he uses some program that reads the programming launguage of the pokemon games.

Most of the beta maps looked all messed up, but that's real neat. I think a flooded over Ecruteak would have been pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure that the maps look messed up because the location of the data is moved while the ROM is being compiled. But the map data is looking in the same spot for the graphics that are elsewhere.
    ROTOM
    ****ING
    OWNS

i have no idea

Actually, the reason that the Ecruteak map looks so strange is because you're using the wrong tileset. Try using the Goldenrod-Azalea tileset instead.

Whoa! Freaky! I never new there were such glitches in the game o.0

Why does everyone forget about this topic?
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

One of them looks like a G/S/C Pacifidlog. Wierd.

i think the first one is a prototype of the left side of lake of rage where you meet the unknown guy or maybe those 3 caves i forgot tf ecruteak and the second one is the prototype of lake of rage
    [COLOR="SandyBrown"]

Guess whos back. Back Again.
    The sexyiest is back. Tell a friend

4J, I think maybe they did think that. But the Surf HM would be acsessable too early... even though you get it in E-Town Theater

Quote Originally Posted by -4J-
    One of them looks like a G/S/C Pacifidlog. Wierd.
    That's because it's loaded with the wrong tileset. The proper tile is something like the pink bricks in Goldenrod City.

Where was the map in the ROM?

There seems to be some confusion as to the tilesets that I have been using. The tileset that I am using for the town maps is the tileset for all basic Johto towns. The only other option to use for a town is the Goldenrod tileset. That tileset would not work since it has the Radio Tower as part of the tiles where other building tiles are. To help illustrate the difference, I have a pic:

Whirlpool tiles

As you can see, the second tile down differs from Goldenrod to a normal town. In a normal town, the tile is a whirlpool. In Goldenrod, it is a barren piece of land. This shows that the beta maps use a different tileset that was not included in the finished game.
    I should have made this clearer when I posted the “Beta town” map. Here is what the correct beta tileset would yield for the “Beta town”:

Correct tileset Beta town

Again, this is my best guess as to what the beta tileset would have looked like.

-4J-: Interesting thought! It does sort of look like Pacifidlog.

HexaTyphlosion: Since you asked, here are the offsets for “Beta town”:

Beta town:
    Start offset = $AA80D
    End offset = $AB8AE

Also, HexaTyphlosion, if you ever think I’m am using the wrong tileset, give me another option. I’m sure there are beta tilesets lurking in the GSC programming.

For anyone interested in other beta features of Pokémon GSC, I have a Teru-Sama thread. Check it out!

OK, I think this is not bumping. I really hope this topic isn't dead.Anyway, I think you should try to find something else.

The Safari Zone.

People may think GameFreak never thought about creating a Safari Zone in G/S/C. But they're wrong. Actually, they were going to make one, but it was removed when they found out about the Glitch City. I found some information about it, but I'd like to see if you could investigate more about it. I should also try to download that program.

Click here and then scroll down until you find a comment full of pictures. Most of them are about the glitch city, but one is about the Safari Zone. He also says there are 20 Beta maps. I don't think all of them were found already.

If you only want to see the picture, click here.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast