Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How long until you demod someone?

Default How long until you demod someone?

Er...I've been wondering about this for some time. I've noticed that some moderators have become inactive, and I was wondering how long it you to realize that they are gone, and perhaps demod them and mod someone else. Two of the type of mods I'm referring to are Elite Dragon Trainer and Murgatroyd.
    In my 8+ months of being here, I've not once seen a moderation done by Elite Dragon Trainer. And (s)he's been inactive since the 19th of January.
    Murgatroyd's internet connection couldn't have died, due to the fact that he was last active here on the 29th of January, I believe, and last active at Bulbagarden on the 15th of February.

When Serebii notices that they are neglecting their jobs and is fed up, that's what I think.

Click here if you want to join ^
    Going through life with depression is like trying to run for a touchdown on two broken legs.

Akilah Imani Guest

I think that he should have noticed by now. Other than that he has his own reasons...whatever the hell they are -_-

But good question. Let's see what kind of wonderful answer we shall get (or if we'll get one period).

Psycho

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho
    I think that he should have noticed by now. Other than that he has his own reasons...whatever the hell they are -_-
    Sheer Laziness.

-Josh

Akilah Imani Guest

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Wonder how long till the 'Serebii Fan Club' shows up to defend Joe :/

I need some entertainment.

Psycho

Moreover, I would like to know about the mods that visit semi-occasionally but don't seem to do much. In particular, I am thinking of Jasmine, SapphireDewgong, and other such mods. I see them on every once in a while, but they hardly ever make any visible changes.

Also, I notice a fair number of chat regulars who are modded here but don't do much with their modship status here. Pardon me, but shouldn't we be giving those chat members who achieve excellence there op status in the chatroom while giving members that achieve excellence here moderator status? I don't quite understand how being a chat mogul warrants a modship.

I smell the thick stench of the mod debates on the horizon.

My thought pattern follows Eszett's. eight dee.

Maybe when Serebii moderates alot of members again. I don't think he wants too many so he might demod some inactive accounts at that time. But then again these inactive mods might be undercoverly helping the site out like some of the Admins. I don't know whether you know this or not.
    Over eight years old and still running strong. Second oldest active running thread in the VG forum.

But helping out on the site is no reason to be modded. :<

Well some Admins were only Adminned because they help out with the site. :/
    Over eight years old and still running strong. Second oldest active running thread in the VG forum.

Er...not really. People write guides for the site, and Joe puts them up on the site. I've never once seen someone besides Joe update the site, and I recall one time that Joe went on a rant that if he let someone besides himself help out with his site, they'd mess it up. Thus, Admins don't work on the site. Ricocheting manages the server, IIRC. But I believe that's as close as admins get to the site.

I didn't say update the site. I said help. As in managing the server, writing guides, and supplying information on upcoming Pokemon games, movies, etc. Some Members are specifically modded for this. Which doesn't seem right, but I don't really care so much.

I know. But do you ever see "Well, *insert admin name here* has done *insert action name here*." on the front page? :<
    And, help ≈ updating, etc.
    Also, your, mine, and Eszett's logic are the same thing, when it comes to modding, it would appear.

Ethereal Guest

I've been wondering this, too. Coolcatfish is only a Mod+ because he's like, Joe's best friend. What kind of crap is that? Based on that logic, I should mod music, because music's the most important "thing" in my life.

But, that's not what the topic's asking. My point is that why isn't he demodded? He does nothing, hasn't been on in ages, and is but one of the many staff members that are just wasting e-space. There's no real reason that they're still modded, other than Joe not really giving a damn.

GoldenNoctowl77. Rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke Yggdrasill
    it would appear.
    Yeah, I know. But Joe does give credit to the info suppliers and the guide writers. Just gotta look. If my theory is true, then thses mods should be able to update the site without being modded. Aren't half of the people that contribute to the site mods? Are some of them inactive? I think so. Joe needs to set up a Site Staff of specific members that contribute alot to the site and give them privileges to the site. They don't need to mod here if they're gonna be inactive. We need room for active mods. That is my opinion. But I usually don't express it.

As a comparative analysis, I present you with this situation: User "noobmaster" of the chat room is going off flaming several people, bashing every racial and religious group he can devise, and generally being an uptight jerk. Now, the ops catch on to the stinky wafts of his rank behavior, and they declare without hesitation to kick him. Thus he is kicked from the room.

Now, enter user "goodfellow" of the chat. He's a sociable, outstanding, and insightful member of the chat. However, he also has an account on the forums from which he sporadically posts. Yet, the ops are so immensely enamored with his behavior that they feel he ought to be rewarded somehow. I get the impression that all too often this reward consists of a modship in the few areas of the board that goodfellow regularly vists (that is, when he even does come to the forum).

What I do not understand is the contradiction of actions invoked in these situations. I will say loud and clear: members should promoted at the exact same medium at which they excel. Chat members to chat ops, forum members to forum admins, chat trolls to kicked members, forum trolls to banned members.

That is what my theory connects with. Except you forgot about the website. Other than that, my theory is exactly the same.

Murgatroyd's internet connection hasn't died, but I think he's using dial-up now. He still has 'net access but it's not reliable enough for him to check on the site every single day. He also doesn't visit BMG every single day.

Pokémaniacs Anonymous: Because growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

My Fanfiction

Thus forth, Chat-goodness=chat rewards, and forum-goodness=forum rewards. [/dumbifying it for you unintelligent people]

Ohtachi, it's kind of a Matrix-Oracle moment: Do they contribute because they are modded, or are they mods because they contribute? :<

Wow. All three of us posted at the same time. e.e;

LAdy Barbara, I'm aware of this. That's why I said that he didn't lose his internet connection. But don't you think that visiting once a month is a little ludacris ([/lame-joke]) for a mod+? :<
    Last edited by Locke Yggdrasill; 18th February 2006 at 3:54 AM.

Akilah Imani Guest

A lot of people tend to be modded because they were well-known in chat, butt-kissed their way, or had friends in high places 8D

Some were modded from the first day they were here....and haven't been here since -_-

Not saying all, just some.

The most active that I see are only mods, whereas the most inactive are super or higher.
    Isn't availability one of the somethings that one should be modded for, along with...what was it again? Responsibility, and knowledge?

Good to know we follow standards! :3

Psycho
    Last edited by Akilah Imani; 18th February 2006 at 3:58 AM.

Well I say about 3 months in my opinion. But as the lolipop says, "The world may never know"
    [/stupid n00b joke]

Do they contribute because they are modded, or are they mods because they contribute? :<
    Simple question brings forth simple answer. They are mods because they contribute. Seen it happen. If members know they can contribute somewhat to the site, they'd do the smart thing and contribute. They wouldn't contribute just because they're mods. How ridiculous is that? Besides, most members think they might be modded if they contribute and on rare occurances, they are. Especially if they stay on the good side of the mods and admins along with trying to stay as close with the rulebook as possible. ;/

You've uh...seen it happen? Here? Do you have examples? I don't recall anyone being modded for this reason.
    If members know they can contribute somewhat to the site, they'd do the smart thing and contribute.
    Tried it, not that easy. :<
    They wouldn't contribute just because they're mods. How ridiculous is that?
    IMO, it's not too ridiculous at all. If they've never once been to the forum after their modding, contributing to the site is their lifeblood.

Tried it, not that easy. :<
    I said that IF members can meet Joe's requirements for submitting info and guides, then they would.

IMO, it's not too ridiculous at all. If they've never once been to the forum after their modding, contributing to the site is their lifeblood.
    Brand-new Members wouldn't be modded on the spot. You have to know somewhat about the forums to be modded. If not, then why does Joe do it? That brings us back to the theories and opinions.

Akilah Imani Guest

You know being modded because you help with the main site, but hardly ever log into the forums, doesn't justify inactiveness. Writing a guide for the latest Pokemon episode in Japan doesn't stop flamewars, close threads, or delete SPAM.

Just wanted to stir the mud

Psycho

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast