Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does Harley act weird?

meowth-in-boots Guest

Default Why does Harley act weird?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Harley in the Japanese version might be gay but in the U.S version they don't tell you he is.

Well as we all know, Harley hates May and is always trying to butter her and her friends up so he can trick her, yes I think Harley is a weird freak guy but they won't tell us that in the US

Harley is a stereotypical flamboyant girly-man that is commonly seen in anime. I don't think he's specifically labeled as gay in either versions, nor does it really matter. Harley's weird...but he's purposely weird and he does add some flavor and comedy to the Pokemon anime.

If you'd prefer a generic Harley, please give me a good idea of how he would look and act... oh, yeah- BORINGLY!!!

He's nothing like Gary Oak! Now THERE'S a rival who we can love. He used to rub it in Ash's face, calling him a loser, and he didn't even bother to tell Ash what his Starter Pokémon was until we saw him unleash it in its final form - Blastoise! And he has his own squad of cheerleaders!

Why do members here act wierd? What I'm trying to say is why do people put topics that are obviously related to the anime in this section?

*moves*

Do I detect a stereotype?

Heh, just saying. First you say Harley acts weird, then you ask if he's gay...

Well, we can't say he's gay unless it actually shows him atracted to guys.

He just...has a typical girly-guy personality I guess.

Yes, surf. You do detect a stereotype.

And no, seconds person also named surf, you certainly cannot call him gay until he shows that he's attracted to guys

And you, third consecutive member named surf, coincidentally having the same personal details and Corphish avatar asthe two previous members sharing your name, I also agree with this third rendering of the same post. Harley is a typical girly-guy.

See. I agree with all of you guys. Keep on truckin'!

Quote Originally Posted by meowth-in-boots
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that Harley in the Japanese version might be gay but in the U.S version they don't tell you he is.
    Um, the writers don't directly tell us Harley's preferences in either version.

They have alluded us to the fact that he prefers boys being as stereotypical as he is, but he never directly says anything about it in either the Japanese version or the dub.

I agree, Harley is a freak, kinda. Although, he's got good taste in Pokémon, so I won't complain.

» » twin: -Koumori- | bishie: Jasmine (Pokémon) | banner: Kimmi The Awesome™
    » » » » i know that we'll have a ball, if we get down and go out, and just lose it all
    i feel, stressed out, i wanna let it go, let's go way out, spaced out and losing all control

Is homosexuality as much a taboo in Japan as it is here? There isn't a single directly homosexual character on any USA children's show- is Japan the same?

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage
    Is homosexuality as much a taboo in Japan as it is here? There isn't a single directly homosexual character on any USA children's show- is Japan the same?
    Judging by the insane about of gay and lesbian characters in anime, I don't think so.

Literally every shoujo anime in Japan has at least one gay or lesbian character.

Since May's story arc is pretty shoujo-ish, the writers decided to throw in as many cliche's as possible. Pretty boy metrosexual, (Drew), Comic relief gay guy who hates protagonist (Harley), Rich bisexual man with blonde hair (Robert), token fangirl of pretty boy metrosexual (Wakana), bisexual girl who crushes on main girl (Kelly), timid boy (Timmy), mother and daughter (Savannah and Sandra).

etc.

All of May's contest rivals seem like they jumped out of a shoujo anime.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    token fangirl of pretty boy metrosexual (Wakana)
    And there I was thinking his token fangirl was Roselia, that filthy little plant.

And there I was thinking his token fangirl was Roselia, that filthy little plant.
    we haven't seen Roselia do anything aside from just preforming petal dance and magical leaf...

what about all those MILFs in "A Fan with a Plan"? don't they count?
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Ah yeah, they're counted with Savannah since she was part of them.

Even worse that the MILF's are crushing over Drew, who is probably no older than Ash. So these married mothers blush and drool over a 14 year old boy?

I mean if there's no age of consent in the Pokemon world that's fine, but to see 25-30 year old mothers crush on a 14 year old kid is really something.

Since May's story arc is pretty shoujo-ish, the writers decided to throw in as many cliche's as possible. Pretty boy metrosexual, (Drew), Comic relief gay guy who hates protagonist (Harley), Rich bisexual man with blonde hair (Robert), token fangirl of pretty boy metrosexual (Wakana), bisexual girl who crushes on main girl (Kelly), timid boy (Timmy), mother and daughter (Savannah and Sandra).

etc.

A part of the plotline owes a lot to the nature of Pokemon Coordinating. I've been watching a lot of Olympic primetime coverage on NBC. Coordinating is a lot like figure skating with concentration on showmanship and techniques.

Just look at Johnny Weir and Yevgeny Plushenko. Do they not scream Harley and Robert to you? Especially Plushenko as Robert.

Evanji Axu Guest

11 out of 10 fangirls conclude that Harley is gay.

Anyone with a pair of eyeballs ought to conclude that Harley's gay.

Apparently in Hi Ho Silver Wind he calls May "girlfriend". My, my.
    Fic plugs: Taking a Chance (multi-chaptered, Contestshipping/Pokeshipping)
    Firelight (Christmas oneshot, Contestshipping)

I adopted Drew Plushie from Ama's Collection

^ Adopted by moi. Innit CUUUTE?

Harley's about as straight as a rainbow. But that's okay, we wouldn't want him any other way.

Oh sure, it's never directly shown that he's gay, but these are the Pokemon writers we're talking about. They're as subtle as a sledgehammer when it comes to showing that a Pokemon's meant to be female/a person's a homosexual/someone's in love(...hmm, that could be a reason why I don't believe that main character shippings are canon. The evidence almost always involves the writers being subtle )/someone is evil/etc. As much as we all hate stereotypes, that's what they use to get the point across whenever possible. :<
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Judging by the insane about of gay and lesbian characters in anime, I don't think so.

Literally every shoujo anime in Japan has at least one gay or lesbian character.

etc.

Oddly enough, I never noticed that before (well, it's not that odd, given that I don't particularly watch a lot of shoujo anime, but still, I tend to keep abreast of all the outside references on the show).

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

There's a huge history of anime (even anime aimed at children) that implies homosexuality.

Check Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura and see if you get my drift. :]
    Last edited by Satoshi; 19th February 2006 at 2:08 AM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Act? Harley doesn't act weird. He just is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru
    Harley's about as straight as a rainbow. But that's okay, we wouldn't want him any other way.

Oh sure, it's never directly shown that he's gay, but these are the Pokemon writers we're talking about. They're as subtle as a sledgehammer when it comes to showing that a Pokemon's meant to be female/a person's a homosexual/someone's in love(...hmm, that could be a reason why I don't believe that main character shippings are canon. The evidence almost always involves the writers being subtle )/someone is evil/etc. As much as we all hate stereotypes, that's what they use to get the point across whenever possible. :<
    No kidding...>_> But, thats what we all love about Harley...and I swear when he met Shuu in today's episode...*cough*
    Watch out kids...He's coming for you!

Ah, another person questioning if Harley is gay? XD

We don't have any idea for sure as the term homosexual refers to someone who is attracted to people of the same sex. We haven't seen anything from Harley, his interest in romance is about the same as Ash. (though he's not as dense about it) He's just extremely feminine which in society typically points to said person being gay whether they are or not. Ah, the joy of stereotyping...

Being gay in Japan is not an issue like it is in America. It's my understanding that most feel if it's between two adults behind closed doors it's nobodies business.

I'm actually surprised though that Harley is as feminine in the American version as he is in the Japanese version. Still, do the writers sit down and discuss a characters sexuality? Do they bother to give them a label? I wonder.

CyberCubed, that is quite an interesting theory. You're completely right. I guess Pokemon is trying to appeal more to girls, hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Raevell

I'm actually surprised though that Harley is as feminine in the American version as he is in the Japanese version. Still, do the writers sit down and discuss a characters sexuality? Do they bother to give them a label? I wonder.
    I was wondering this same thing too..Why did they do that? of all the dubbing companys..I though 4kids would edit that out.
    Watch out kids...He's coming for you!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast