Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Discussion Topic: Layouts

What the heck? You can use that logic for anything. Like:

Links at the top suck, in the first couple drop down menus containing all the links in your site with all the exact same ideas Serebii has gotten and in the last couple drop down menus affiliates,topsites, & links to other sites in the right menu.

So I like three column.
    It's my site, fear it.

Less than %.001 of all people on Serebii are named AgentChronon. If you are one of that %.001 percent, copy and paste this into your sig (started by AgentChronon)

Buoysel= awesome. It will always be that way. Forever. If you think you are a bigger Buoysel fan than me, PM me and I will correct you.

Wrong,links in the top is better then having a shitty layout. Having to scroll down to the bottom and find 50 million links leading to freakin 404's is even more shitty then having a drop down. And when you look in the bright side,at least you don't have to scroll down. And if you're just here to say drop downs suck,then go tell that to every site that has them and not me.

I don't think drop downs suck. I like three column more because you can see everything that you can click on and you don't have to hover over stuff. But I see your point. And not every site with a three column layout has broken links...
    It's my site, fear it.

Less than %.001 of all people on Serebii are named AgentChronon. If you are one of that %.001 percent, copy and paste this into your sig (started by AgentChronon)

Buoysel= awesome. It will always be that way. Forever. If you think you are a bigger Buoysel fan than me, PM me and I will correct you.

Most websites have broken links so they think there website is big or anything related to that.

Yeah but you shouldn't associate broken links with three column layouts becuase drop downs can have them too. I have no broken links on my site I think.
    It's my site, fear it.

Drop down menus rarely have broken links,drop down menus have an easier system of adding links then 3-column,making 3 column bad because of the <br> tags after every link.

Well I mean a drop down layout could just as easily have broken links as a three column layout, it's just that most people that use a drop down have no broken links because they don't like that stuff.
    It's my site, fear it.

I hate broken links,they annoy me. And this only happens with 3 column layouts from what I see,drop downs rarely have broken links.

So I say broken links are automatic with 3-column. Just my opinion.

Well that's weird.

Anyway, you can dissagree, but I have three reasons why I like three column better:

1: You can see everything you might want to look at, you don't have to hover over.

2: Having drop down makes your site seem much smaller, like a blog, while having three column makes it seem huge.

3: You can use ctrl+F to find stuff.

So yeah.
    It's my site, fear it.

If you really think 3-Column makes a website look big,visit Pokerealm and you'll see that the site has a drop down menu and it has more then 300 pages. And just having 3-column doesn't make your site bigger,because it's guaranteed that the site might not have enough content to begin with.

Umm, just because a site uses a three-column layout doesn't mean it's going to have loads of broken links. Just take a look at TCoD or Eonlight Valley. Three column layouts, no broken links. I use a three column layout, and I don't have any broken links, either. Drop-down lists are neat too, but I prefer three columns.

Thank you, rayquaza95, for the cool trainer card!

THANK YOU!!!

That's what I was getting at. And note I said it makes your site LOOK bigger, not makes it bigger. Yeah, pokerealm has 300 pages but so does TCoD and TCoD sure LOOKS a whole lot bigger which makes people explore more which makes people fans which gets your site more popular.
    It's my site, fear it.

Pokerealm recieves 1000 unique hits per day and even with that Java Script menu they know the site is big already. And just because TCoD HAS a 3-column layout it doesn't make there site seem big because just having 50 million links in the site make you scroll down for at least 10 seconds to just reach the footer.

I tried it just now and it took 1 1/2 seconds XD.

Okay I think we need to stop arguing now. I mean you can like drop down and I can like three column. Well I like both but still. Anyway bye for now.
    It's my site, fear it.

"Discussion Topic:Layouts"

That's what the topic is for,we're not arguing,even if this is an arguement,this arguement is a non-insultive arguement against the person.

Well if you want to keep arguing I guess we can.
    It's my site, fear it.

I prefer three column layouts. Personally, I find them much easier to edit that horizontal ones...

What else? Oh yeah, it's easier to do image based layouts with 3 Columns than drop-down horizontal.

And....um....I forgot anything else. xP
    The Red Blimp: Pokemon, EarthBound, and Paper Mario in one neat package. Se habla espańol.

Yay you support me woohoo!
    It's my site, fear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldyoshi
    I prefer three column layouts. Personally, I find them much easier to edit that horizontal ones...
    There are a lot of sites with 3 column layouts though. That's partially why I prefer other layout solutions.

By the way, your site's layout is quasi-original, but the page is too wide, thereby creating the widely-hated x-axis scrollbar.

[PI Forums|Magma HQ|Kikkoman!]
    Teal'c: Are you considering the same tactic as I?
    O'Neill: Teal'c, the cliché is "are you thinking what I'm thinking". And the answer is "yes".

Eh I know my site's layout isn't original but I still really like it.
    It's my site, fear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldyoshi

What else? Oh yeah, it's easier to do image based layouts with 3 Columns than drop-down horizontal.

And....um....I forgot anything else. xP
    Way to TRY and prove a point that didn't actually come to prove the right way. You can't just say it's easier to make a 3-column layout and then easy to edit,because you need CSS alignining and probably some cellpadding and all that crap,Smogons layout is horizontal,and I find it real easy to edit,3-columns make the html document longer,including all the links and directories you have located on your website. It's easier to edit horizontal layouts then editing 3-column by hundreds of times,you can always just an SSI code or PHP include code,cause that's what those server-side scripting languages are there for.

Precisely what Faltzer said, all layouts are easy to edit if you divide the page into a header and a footer, and then use a SSS language to dynamically include the code (ASP, PHP, JSP).

For my site I built a blank page to test the layout. Then I split it into a header and a footer, and added two functions to a function-library script, build_magma_header('Title of the page') and build_magma_footer().

All I need to do is include the function library, and those functions (as well as others) are available. This cuts down the ammount of cumbersome HTML coding (which inevitably leads to mistakes). For a multi-page site, some form of SSI must be implemented lest you want to produce "HTML soup" as Dragonfree aptly calls it.

SSI tags like <!--#include --> do pretty much the same, although they look like normal HTML comments and are easy to skip and lead again to mistakes.

O'Neill: Teal'c, the cliché is "are you thinking what I'm thinking". And the answer is "yes".

Uh... I use SSI
    It's my site, fear it.

Ok... so why then is it easier to manage 3-columned sites?

SSI just looks like normal HTML comments,which is why now most excellent web hosts support php over SSI,because you can do everything better with PHP,then SSI. Also,you forgot that you can use JS includes to also dynamically include your files. There are other languages to use then just SSI & PHP.

PS:That's a real cool post you made there,Chronon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast