Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon - The Indigo League (01)

Quote Originally Posted by Booncy View Post
    Finally someone who calls the first season by it's true and original name: the Indigo season, and not the Kanto season (a word that wasen't even made up for this region until the GSC games)! I can't tell you how annoyed I get everytime I see SPPF members referring to the original season as Kanto !

Overall I don't care what most SPPF members think, this season will go down IMO as the best season overall. It's because this season existed that we're all even here right now on this forum debating topics in miscellaneous threads about the future of the show, and the characters we love/hate!

This is really getting repetitive of me seeing as I've said this a bunch of times in other threads, but I reiterate THIS (along with the Orange League and first Johto League season) was Pokemon in it's prime ! When all of us veteran pokemon fans look back to the glory days of Pokemon back in the late 90's when it was extremely popular, a worldwide phenomenon, and you could openly express how much you truly loved this series in public without fear of being laughed at and shunned by your peers it is THIS ORIGINAL SEASON that we'll always look back on that started it all!

Personally I could care less that the battles don't rank up there with the Advanced Generation! HELLO! The series itself was just starting out back then. The show's plot (like someone mentioned earlier) played much more of a precedence rather than the battles. The show itself was funny, cute, charming, and most important of all unique from your typical cartoon and that's all that mattered! The original gang: Ash, Misty, and Brock went on a ton of adventures during this season, and the BEST part of it all was that kids felt like in some ways they could relate to their adventures through the games (due to the fact that the original season ACTUALLY followed the anime almost strictly by the games back in the old days )!

By the time the Advanced Generation came out yes it was time to pick up the pace, show how much Ash had grown over the years, and make the battles more better and interesting, but NOT during this generation!

All in all I rate this season as a whole a 10/10 !
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't get why some people, who shall remain nameless (you know who you are), think this season sucks. If not for the indigo season, we would never get to their "precious" AG saga. I LOVED this season, I loved the episodes, I loved the pokemon, I loved everything about this season.

Pokemon: The Indigo League

This was certainly one of the better seasons of Pokemon in hindsight, with a much quicker and more involving pace. This season was before the creators realised they could milk Pokemon for all it's worth (which is why season 2 goes around a never-used area in Pokemon games). Starts off well, with interesting episodes from Gym Battles to Ash catching stupendous amounts (the starters, Tauros army, Krabby, Pidgeotto, Caterpie, and that's not all) of Pokemon. Let down by a slightly lacklustre 8th Gym Battle. Thus is also the only season to tie into a movie, with the others having no relation to their movies. Plus this is when Team Rocket were evil and had good ideas, not the picked on crew they are now.

OVERALL: 93%
    Brilliant news. Toonami UK have (finally) got around to showing Pokemon: Battle Frontier (Season 9). Starts Monday at 5pm.

This season was good, I wouldn't say great or bad. But they done good for the first season, since then they have done a little better at script writing. Yeah, I thought this was a good season since it was the beginning of a legend.

The gym battles were pretty pathetic. Ash only earned about 4 of the badges. A lot of one hit KO's during this season. Great battles though. The indigo league was pretty good, sad to see Ash lose, but yeah. He can do better now.

I would give this season a 7.9/10
    Proud Member Of The The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club! ( Co-Owner )
    Join The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club!

[IMG]http://i4.*******.com/81jbbqx.png[/IMG]
    Credit Goes To Knight_Ram For This Trainer Card.

Xbox360 - Gamertag - Taniwha Ranger

In my opinion the kanto series was okay.The gym battles sucked.Chariazard not obeying Ash was kinda bad.But pikachu was Funny.Bulbasaur and Squirtle was okay.Another thing bad about Kanto was the Realesing the pokemon.like Pidgeot.The battles where sucky.But Misty and Brock were great Characters.Ash was a noob so they pulled him through.Pikachu was funny.
    Manga's I'm up to date with.

Spoiler:- undefined:

Catching up to

Hunter x Hunter
    Battle Tendency
    Eyeshield 21

This season brings back so many childhood memories and lots of nostalgia everytime I think of it. I remember first hearing about Pokemon in the UK's Nintendo Official Magazine, which supplied a comic strip of the first two episodes. After reading them and finding out a few months later the show would debut on terrestrial UK TV (in 1999), I knew it was something I couldn't miss.

Unbelievably, I missed the first episode as I was unaware it had aired, but upon watching Pokemon Emergency, I fell in love. Every day in half term, a new episode aired thus taking us up to Clefairy and the Moonstone by the end of the week. I then missed episodes up to the Squirtle Squad episode because I was unaware that they were still airing every Saturday morning. But seeing how Ash had caught Bulbasaur and Charmander in the episode's recap just got me enthused to later backtrack and watch those episodes. I also seem to remember that at some point after Ash beat Koga, I somehow managed to catch an episode on a weekday after school where Charmander was now a fully evolved Charizard (I believe it was the Cinnabar gym one). I was absolutely freaked out at this, and also discovered another new team member that I was very unfamiliar with - Togepi. I soon realised that the weekday episodes were running ahead of the Saturday showings and so opted to just keep watching the weekend episodes lol.

Overall, I can say in hindsight that, yes, the battles in this first season weren't great (what with Ash lucking out in getting most of his badges), but at the time I could have cared less about this as I just loved seeing the wonderful adventures that Ash, Misty and Brock ensued on. Every episode was unique, and I cannot say that I once got bored with the storylines, at least in the earlier episodes. I agree that when looking back, there are flaws with this series, but the show was just so refreshing and enthralling for a young mind like mine back then that I didn't care about these fine details.

Strangely enough I started getting into Pokemon just when I was leaving middle school and starting high school and always wondered what everyone was talking about. Then I started to play the games and watch the shows and soon got into it.
    The Indigo saga was great for me as I was learning the same time Ash was learning, lol.
    I enjoyed the captures and Gym battles but was disappointed with the departures of Butterfree, Primeape and Pidgeot.
    All in all; 8/10.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

I did not notice this the first time around (years ago when it aired) but have noticed something since I have been watching the DVDs. Ash has Charizard for quite a number of episodes, then all of a sudden there are episodes with Charmander again. When exactly did Charmander evolve, and why is he unevolved later? Is it just an inconsistency?

Thx

I did not notice this the first time around (years ago when it aired) but have noticed something since I have been watching the DVDs. Ash has Charizard for quite a number of episodes, then all of a sudden there are episodes with Charmander again. When exactly did Charmander evolve, and why is he unevolved later? Is it just an inconsistency?
    it was a writers block. And I liked the the Indigo season

Didn't the dub release the holiday eps in a diff order or something

And i grew up with this season so i had to love it

Looking back it's a bit annoying the way he won the gym badges but still i loved the series

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

Quote Originally Posted by BM14murph View Post
    Didn't the dub release the holiday eps in a diff order or something

And i grew up with this season so i had to love it

Looking back it's a bit annoying the way he won the gym badges but still i loved the series
    Indeed, the holiday eps were aired in a different order in the USA than in Japan.
    Besides, I must admit that I wasn't annoyed by he way he won the gym badges, simply because he actually won some fair and square; Lightning, Soul and Volcano ones, and in my opinion the Earth Badge too. He also technically won the Marsh Badge because Sabrina's Kadabra was unable to fight, as well as the Boulder Badge, even if Pikachu had to strike the sprinklers.
    Still, the series was pretty awesome, and I must say I love all of the episodes and I don't mind watching them again.

Thanks to Tekirai for the greatest banner ever!

PM me with any help you need regarding #SPP-WiFi or with getting your signature checked

[14:32] <metallica> i acted like a foolish

*** katya (CHEAT@NOW.YOU.CAN.SEE.A.NICE.ICE.KEY.WHICH.YOU.CA N.HAVE.FOR.FREE) has quit IRC (Quit: (3:56:28 pm) <rittre_gilr> oh mah gah!!!! guess what i juss foun out!!!!! |B selebii-fatrazychan dada mallied a MURE!!!! an ugry mure can you berieve dat??? so dats why he got holse teef!!!! CHING CHING CONG BALONG)

I loved the first season the plot, the people, and the Pokemon! but some battles really weren't the best other then that I rate it 8.7
    Love You ♥

Credit to Pink Skitty

My favorite saga/arc. It was the beginning of the Pokemon anime, so we didn't know what to expect.

It didn't follow the games (heck, Ahs fought the Gyms out of order) but it was still good. There was hardly any Filler, and if there was it was decent.

Some character development, but not much to brag about. Ash did seem to mature a bit over time though.

10/10

Great saga. the gym battles were fine.

Ash was pretty strong compare to a ten years old trainer.

And Misty was really strange with her sisters.

7/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

Default amazing

i like new episode.. its really amazing and enjoyable.. have a lot of fun as well as humor. get complete information comptia certification
    Last edited by juliamat; 27th May 2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: due to mistake

This season was definitely the most comical, puns were great, emotion was great. The Gym battles weren't the best, but this was expected with Ash having so little experience during the 1st season. Mewtwo was definitely my favorite Pokemon throught the 1st season Anime. The theme song is great. The Voice Actors were so much better for this season. The fillers were much better for this season.

60/100

This season will always hold a special place in my heart. It introduced me to the Pokemon franchise, after all. When I began to watch it, I had no idea what Pokemon was, but as I watched more and more episodes, I learned a lot about Pokemon and became a major fan. If it wasn't for this season, I may not have become a fan of Pokemon, and my life would be very different because Pokemon has been a constant in my life for about 12.5 years now.

Great humour, awesome immaturity from Ash, great Pokeshipping and violence from Misty and Brock "being himself". These episodes are my youth, and this introduced me into Pokemon when I was 4 years old and made me the Pokemon addict I still am and always will be. Even the fillers were awesome. I can say a lot of positive things about this saga, but there is nothing left to say except for the fact that this season is just perfect, aside from two things.

It is a pity that Ash did not deserve most of his gym badges, but I won't complain about that, it is a small downside on a season that is close to perfect aside from this. I would have liked it if Ash would have a rematch with, for example, Erika.

Oh, another downside: thumbs down for the writers for making me cry every time when I watch the Butterfree goodbye episode (yes, I still cry when watching it). But good, that is one episode, the rest of the season was great.

WARNING! Noob approaching!!
    Whoops, fail. Anyway.... I loved this series, I grew up on this. Also, I always used to laugh on how they pronounced 'Magmar'. Don't really know why, I guess I'm weird.
    Last edited by Cow434; 5th October 2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: GRAMATICAL Fail!

I just love the first season. All characters sounded more natural, the music was brilliant, just the little things the first season had, I can appreciate. Like, remember the scribbly backgrounds that moved up rapidly when Pokemon were attacking? When a characters head would explode into giant in anger?

Anyone remember Nathan Price as Meowth? In my opinion, he performed the "Gangsta-Brooklyn" Meowth much better than Maddie. He just made Meowth sound more devious.

And Pikachu used to be fat, too. Anyone remember that?

Oh yeah, and Team Rocket had more than "twerp" in their dictionary.
    Last edited by Thriller; 11th October 2011 at 9:09 PM.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

When I was younger I used to love this series. I found it funny and I loved the battles that it had and I thought that Ash and Misty were going to become a couple and everything. Team rocket was hilarious and Pikachu was so cute. Of course, this was back when I was younger. I recently re-watched the series and can safely say that, besides a few episodes, it wasn't really that good. A lot of the gym battles were disappointing and the puns don't seem as funny anymore. The theme song also wasn't very good in hindsight.

B- at best for me.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

best season hands down.. great humor, great music, great fillers, and great sad moments.

the battles did suck though and I hated how pidgeotto got shafted after the starters came
    Last edited by Swagga09; 6th November 2011 at 6:32 PM.
    Black Version 2 FC: 4943 5487 2983

I love this season and the Indigo league was great at least Ash was on the top 16 Ash, Misty & Brock have come a long way since then. All the support they've given him, If only Ash's charizard was properly trained he could have maybe been in top 8.

Worse season hands down. The characters were memorale and the Pokemon but the battles, and no one else doing much turned me off. Team Rocket's voices were bad until they got in half the season, Misty was a brat, Ash was dummer than he is now and Brock's voice was Kaiba's. Gary showed up very little than he should have. They never had a battle until the end of OS. The writers you could tell were very inexperienced. But in OS things started to get better. However, I think BW is Kanto done right in some way. Alot of things that's going on now needed to happen back then.

My ideal battle ever!

Honestly, it's a bad season because it was rather badly written. It might be because it's pretty much advertising the games and thus there wasn't enough time to produce a proper plot, 4KIDS refused to remain true to the script at times (though they made the Team Rocket trio one of the best characters in the show, I'll give them that), jelly-filled doughnuts, Pikachu the horn, Ash didn't really win all of his badges properly, Brock's mother is "dead", the infamous Porygon episode, there's a lot.

However, even with the bad writing and plotholes, and the blinding nostalgia, I do have a soft spot for it. If anything, I like it for the lulz, and also to see just how much has changed since the beginning. I won't watch it all the time, but if I buy the first season boxset, it'll be for my own kids to watch.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Taken by themselves, the battles aren't that bad. Writers like to top themselves, so they write bigger, better battles. This happens with other series; compare Star Wars with Return of the Jedi. Star Wars's fights are cool, but they can't hold a candle to the fights in Return of the Jedi.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast