Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon - The Orange League (02)

Default Pokemon - The Orange League (02)

The Orange League!

After his loss in the Pokémon League, Ash, Brock and Misty head to the Orange Islands to run an errand for Professor Oak...to get the GS Ball and bring it back. Brock decides to stay with Professor Ivy, the Professor who discovered the GS Ball. Ash & Misty then meet a guy called Tracey, A Pokémon Watcher. With Tracey's help Ash catches a Baby Lapras who helps ferry him around the islands. Ash partakes in the 4 Pokémon Gyms in the Orange Islands and ends up beating the Orange League Champion and getting a Trophy proving it. Ash then heads back to Pallet Town to give Professor Oak the GS Ball only to be met by Brock who had some unpleasent business on Valencia Island. Tracey decides to stay with Professor Oak to help research

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Haha! First post in this!

Well let me be the first to say that this season rocked out loud! It was just a shame that it was so short. But of course the best thing in the Orange Island saga was Tracey. Plus, I enjoyed the gym battles (more than the gym battles nowadays).

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

Geki Guest

This is probably my all time favorite saga in the anime besides AG. I loved all the fillers and battles, especially the ending one with Drake.

This was one of my favorite seasons. All the episodes were pretty good, and the gyms there were all unique in their own little way. Plus, that guy with the Dragonite was awesome!

Even though this was the so-called "filler saga" - it was quite enjoyable. Esspecially the Gym Battles and the all the islands. One of the most nostalgic openings took place here - Rivals.

Kenji was sort of a good character, even though he was just a replacement for Takeshi after 4kids Entertainment got to Shogakukan Productions.
    Last edited by Satoshi; 9th March 2006 at 4:37 AM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Tracey wasn't much of a character. He was a filler American man because the writers thought fans (mainly Americans) did not like Brock. When they were proved wrong, Brock came back and the writers seem too scared to take him off again. Tracey did have his moments, mainly with Scyther one of my favorites and his exploration. However, If that guy came to Johto, it would've been an even bigger disaster.

Though Kanto was better overall, this was better percentagewise. There were like 3 shows during the entire arc which do not deserve an 8 or above, near perfect.

Orange islands were good because Ash got a lapras, charizard listened (surprising back then), gym battles were very different (first double battle i believe with the 4th gym) and the inclusion of Tracey. It was a refreshing break but i think if Tracey continued in Johto or Hoenn, it would've been a distaster. I remember the final battle with Drake the most (was that Ash's first 6 on 6 battle?)

Thanks to Aurora Wish for making this card- totally awesome.

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
    Paul Valery

"I grew up with six brothers. That's how I learned to dance: waiting for the bathroom."
    Bob Hopes

The Orange Islands saga was one of the best, because not only was it the only saga where Ash actually won a trophy but there wasn't a single appearance of Brock (until A Tent Situation)

Awe yes the Orange Islands, another favorite season of mine. One of my favorite episodes happens to be in this season, the one where Butch and Cassidy turn there Pokemon agaisnt Ash and crew, perfection. I also loved the gym battles, they were different. Plus Tracey was introduced, he happens to be one of my favorite characters, who I miss dearly =[

This is my personal favorite season of the anime. There were many filler episodes that I found to be better than the first season. Tracey, my favorite character, was introduced during the Orange Islands. I always found him to be a refreshing change to the over-the-top, flirty Brock. And he actually worked toward the goal that he wanted. In a way, I felt sad to see him leave the group at the end of this season, but thankfully, he comes out often enough to keep me satasfied.

The Gyms were especially impressive. I liked how it was a match of skill rather than a straight out battle. Ash seemed to develop in his strength as a trainer during this season especially. I mean, he actually won the Orange League, which should have been more of an accomplishment than what the writers show. I enjoyed Ash's captures of a Snorlax and a Lapras. The episodes revolving around those two Pokemon were very nicely written.

I'm not sure why so many Pokeshippers hated this season since I think it had the most hints toward a blossoming relationship between the two. I don't even like that pairing, yet even I can see it in OI.

The theme music was also really great, both in Japanese and English. Plus, there was an improvement in the animation during this season, which seemed to take a bit of a nosedive at some point during Johto.

All in all, it was an excellent season. A real 10/10 for me!

Short and sweet.Apart from Tracy.I hate him.
    [IMG]http://i13.*******.com/47lo29z.png[/IMG]
    Credit to ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the awsome banner!

~Bishie~Mafia~Song~Friends

This season was great, until Brock left, from then we found Tracy who was an OK character, nothing special. I thought that this was a good filler season. Good battles, descent fillers, descent Gym battles. Great battle between the Orange champion. 7.9/10
    Proud Member Of The The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club! ( Co-Owner )
    Join The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club!

[IMG]http://i4.*******.com/81jbbqx.png[/IMG]
    Credit Goes To Knight_Ram For This Trainer Card.

Xbox360 - Gamertag - Taniwha Ranger

Most of this season's episodes bored me....but in the orange league I liked it.
    WHY? TOGEPI, WHY? Curse you and your Metronome that lost me an Exp. Share.

the gyms were so interesting in this season

Power
    The
    ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.
    I Have Power
    PLATINUM FC: 3480 8759 5501

It was great to see Charizard obeying Ash and the Gym battles and League battle were again unique but always pulled twists out of no-where to make it a success for Ash to win.
    All in all; 9/10.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

I've probably seen the Orange Island episodes more times than any other season of Pokemon, chiefly because they were the ones which happened to be airing during the peak of my Poke-fandom (which had gathered steam throughout Kanto and then started to wane around midway through Johto).

Orange League had its plus points, but on the whole I have to say that I prefer its predecessor. With apologies to his fanbase, I was never really able to warm to Tracey. The first time it aired, I'd actually missed the three or four episodes which encompassed the connective arc between Kanto and Orange, including Brock's departure, so when I was finally able to tune in again, I must admit that I was mildly shocked to see Brock (probably my favourite of Ash's team) gone and what had struck me as a rather arbitrary character in his place. Tracey wasn't exactly overtly unlikeable as a character, but I always found him to a bit bland and uninteresting - whereas Brock had carved out a nice little niche for himself as an older brother figure to Ash, Tracey felt more like this random guy who'd tagged along primarily for the sake of it. Which is pretty much what he was, for the most part.

Early on in the series, I was slightly disappointed with how the Gym battles in the Orange Island functioned. I appreciate that it came in the interests of variation, but having the challenges revolve around sports games rather than actual battles did remove a fair bit of the appeal for me. I was relieved, in the latter half of the season, when the challenges made an effort to return to the franchise's basic roots of Pokemon battling, with an interesting twist in either case (matched-elements and double battles). The final battle against Drake was easily the most exciting and dramatic battle we'd had up to that point, so no complaints there.

It was a curiously short season all-round, with only half the number of Gyms of Kanto, and only one big final challenge. Perhaps because, as a whole, it was something of a filler Season, to give Ash something to do between Kanto, which had followed the basic narrative of the original games, and Johto, which would tie-in with the next generation of games and introduce us to the eagerly-awaited new batch of Pokemon. The abrupt, but fortunately only temporary loss of Brock left me somewhat cold, but there were some good and interesting adventures therein, and it took Ash and his friends to a variety of colourful new locations.
    Last edited by Raikipper; 8th January 2009 at 9:23 PM.

I have to say i had quite a soft spot for this season although it was short it was still a good way to surprise us like Brock leaving wasn't something people expected and the fact that the orange islands weren't in the game.

Charizard obeying Ash was epic and the final battle the first 6 0n 6 pure brilliance

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

Quote Originally Posted by BM14murph View Post
    I have to say i had quite a soft spot for this season although it was short it was still a good way to surprise us like Brock leaving wasn't something people expected and the fact that the orange islands weren't in the game.

Charizard obeying Ash was epic and the final battle the first 6 0n 6 pure brilliance
    Indeed, the bond that was built between Ash and Charizard was something that all the fandom hd been expecting for quite some time. The first 6 on 6 battle was indeed epic.
    The season also had great gym battles, which escaped from the "3 on 3" or "1 on 1" standard gym battles. The actual gym challenges like the target shooting and the first double battle in the anime were simply amazing to watch.

Thanks to Tekirai for the greatest banner ever!

PM me with any help you need regarding #SPP-WiFi or with getting your signature checked

[14:32] <metallica> i acted like a foolish

*** katya (CHEAT@NOW.YOU.CAN.SEE.A.NICE.ICE.KEY.WHICH.YOU.CA N.HAVE.FOR.FREE) has quit IRC (Quit: (3:56:28 pm) <rittre_gilr> oh mah gah!!!! guess what i juss foun out!!!!! |B selebii-fatrazychan dada mallied a MURE!!!! an ugry mure can you berieve dat??? so dats why he got holse teef!!!! CHING CHING CONG BALONG)

I love the Orange League season for many reasons. One of my main reasons being was not knowing what to expect next. This was the season that took place right after the Kanto season. Being that the Kanto season was based off of the RBY games, and after you beat the Indigo League in the RBY games the game is pretty much done & there's not much else left to do (besides catch all 151 pokemon) all of us Pokemon fans who were a part of the original generation of kids who were affected by the Pokemon phenomenon craze were wondering just what the hell Ash, Misty, and Brock were going to do next?

The Orange League wasn't based off of any games, so every episode (at least IMHO) that took place during that season after the end of the Indigo League was pretty much watchable just to see where the writers were going to take Ash's journey to next without a game to base it off of. In the RBY games & the sequel games of the generations that took place after it we all knew about all of the locations of where Ash and the gang were going to thus his journey was pretty much already mapped out & set in stone in those seasons since we all had the games to "follow along with Ash". This unique season however didn't have that to it at all thus the writers were allowed with a really rare opportunity for absolute creative freedom, and a chance to really satisfy us Pokemon fans from the original generation (& capture even more of our attention spans) who were practically already on the edge of our seats after the epic end of the Indigo League. That element of curiosity about the unknown future of Ash's pokemon journey very easily made this the best season of all IMHO.

Also another reason why this was the best season of all (which goes back to that unknown element that I was talking about) was checking out every week to see if anymore new pokemon from the upcoming generation were going to be seen or not. We saw a few Johto pokemon in the 1st movie Pikachu short, and the writers sorta teased us some more when Tracey had also revealed that he had a Johto pokemon on his team. The idea of the possibility of the writers leaking a few more new Johto pokemon here or there into the episodes was yet another reason not to miss an episode of the Orange League during the original airing of this season.

I think this season was very underrated...

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

You can say that again! I hate how both within the show & in real life people act as if this whole saga/league didn't exist at all. During the Silver Conference when Ash was about to fight Gary the announcer had mentioned that Ash is quite the skilled trainer, with having a reputation of that of being within the top 16 of the Indigo League; failing/neglecting to mention of his actually being a champion of the Orange League. How being ranked within the top 16 of one league somehow trumps being the champion of another league I'll never know. That's just one example out of many as to how the writers had forgotten that Ash is the champion of one league, or that the whole league/saga had even existed period. Fans tend to do the same thing here too on this forum and rarely mention the Orange Archipelago in the same sentence as the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh regions and/or leagues. I will give the members on SPPF here some credit though over the writers as they tend to remember that Ash is the champion of that league moreso than the actual writers do, but still this saga as a whole is severely underrated.
    Last edited by Sayho1234; 29th November 2009 at 7:02 AM.

I liked Orange Islands more than I did the entire Johto arc. Kanto and Orange is what I consider the "classic era" of Pokemon.

Then came Johto with its endless fillers and lack of character development. Even as a kid I knew the first two seasons were so much better than the Johto filler-fest.

Its a shame really. I did like the later seasons of Pokemon too but I hate the way Johto completely turned against everything Kanto/Orange was about.

It's good to know that there are some members out there who give this league the credit that it so rightfully deserves. Thanks for that CyberCubed .

I just realized something else that proves my point about the members on SPPF ignoring this underrated league. If you go to the main Episode Discussions page from which this thread is located from, notice that every saga/league has a rating to it and this one has no rating to it at all (not even a bad one).

Quote Originally Posted by Sayho1234 View Post
    I just realized something else that proves my point about the members on SPPF ignoring this underrated league. If you go to the main Episode Discussions page from which this thread is located from, notice that every saga/league has a rating to it and this one has no rating to it at all (not even a bad one).
    Orange Islands is fairly old. It originally aired back in 1999 and 2000, that's exactly 10 years ago. Kanto is the first season which is why everyone remembers and constantly talks about it, yet Orange came second.

Still its fairly remembered well. While views on Tracey were mixed, everyone seemed to like Lapras and Ash's Snorlax, plus Charizard obey's Ash in this season, and Bulbasaur/Squirtle get some good screentime.

Pokemon works better with shorter sagas overall. The important episodes are closer together and the character development and Pokemon progression is much more noticeable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast