Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokemon - The Orange League (02)

Quote Originally Posted by Sayho1234 View Post
    I just realized something else that proves my point about the members on SPPF ignoring this underrated league. If you go to the main Episode Discussions page from which this thread is located from, notice that every saga/league has a rating to it and this one has no rating to it at all (not even a bad one).
    I don't know about anyone else, but I don't give a flip about thread ratings - not even here, where they might have a conceivable purpose as episode/series/movie ratings instead of simple thread ratings.

Pokemon works better with shorter sagas overall. The important episodes are closer together and the character development and Pokemon progression is much more noticeable.
    Except for the part where the writers would have to make plots up 3/4ths of the time since there's no way the games can come out fast enough for shorter sagas. And I'd argue about the character development being more noticable, since I don't remember much of that happening in the OI. Or Pokemon development, for that matter(Charizard Chills aside). There is the benefit of having important episodes closer together, but that's not a necessity if the writers can make fillers entertaining(as they've done, for the most part, in Shinou).

To contribute to the season at hand:
    One major good point of the OI, in my opinion, was the variety in the gym battles. The various challenges Ash had to go through in the four gyms are probably the closest we'll ever get to seeing the in-game gym puzzles emulated in the anime(for those who care about that), but more importantly:They were fun! Sure, they were simple(Luana's double battle "gimmick" was so obvious that it became an official battling setup in Gen 3), but they added an element of creativity that was sorely lacking in the Kanto gyms. The GLs themselves were fairly memorable(except for Danny, who I had to look up since I couldn't remember one of the four OI GLs), although I guess the writers had to pay more attention to their personalities since they were making the GLs from scratch for a change.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

I enjoyed this arc, it's me favorite by far. It seemed to flow evenly with few Fillers in the way of the storyline. I particularly liked the Orange Crew. Their Gym challenges were actual challenges and not just battles like in Kanto. This made things interesting and fresh, which is always a plus. I also liked the final battle between the Orange Crew's leader and Ash because it was intense and Ash won a League for the first time; albeit, not an official one. Tracey was a good replacement for Brock too. 9/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 6th November 2010 at 9:13 PM.

Great arc.

The Orange episodes were fine. Tracey wasn't involved enough.

6/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

The major plot events in this series were probably executed the best of all the series, however between them there were long (compared to the series length) gaps of nothing. I also think that Team Rocket appear for too much in this series and the same old plans are tried again and again. This is the series were Ash's Snorlax is caught and Jessie's Lickitung realy start to shine and as they are my two favourite Anime Pokemon I'd say this series shows a very solid quality amongst the entire Anime
    Pokedex Progress

I didn't really like the 2nd season very much... Other than the last 2 gyms, I really didn't like how the other 2 were formatted. This season definitely had the best League Championship. Odd how the GS Ball was never really going anywhere story wise. Tracy was a really cool trainer, and had really cool Pokemon. It was great that Charizard was finally useful for Ash in this season. Ash didn't really catch many Pokemon in this season. There wasn't as much comedy as the 1st season. The Theme song was 1 of the best!

30/100
    Last edited by G50; 28th February 2011 at 6:15 AM.

Smile Compone

Component of drums cheap wow gold when he eventually united to the opening. Formerly a sept to see him, he module buy whatsoever wow gold of them to see the openhearted of medicine here. Window is cloudy day, no locomote, trash Yang wow gold overflow. Kesituoge Communicate Chertoff irradiation did turn approve after the salutation and asked not wow power leveling ask Pavel Nikolayevich, put his riches at the top of the improvement entranceway. An wet but not vasoconstrictor air reaching from wow accounts there squeezed. Pavel Nikolayevich trouble.

I found this season to be very entertaining when I watched it as a little kid years ago. I was always eager to see a new episode because I was so excited by the fact that this saga took place in a new region. It was a little strange when Brock left, but after an episode or two without him I don`t remember caring about it that much if at all. Also, I liked how the Gym challenges in the Orange Islands were done differently because I think I was tired of Gyms just being about regular battles (but oddly enough, nowadays I like the regular Gyms way better, probably because I started playing the games during Johto). Overall though, the 6-7 year old me enjoyed the Orange Islands.

Even though Brock is not in this season, I like it, it is almost as good as Kanto and Jotho (my favourite seasons). When I watched these episodes, I was a little kid, and I still love it. Scyther is one of my favourite Kanto Pokemon, so it was great to see Tracy catching one. And Ash' battle against Drake is one of the best battles in Pokemon anime history.
    Last edited by AquaMilotic; 21st December 2012 at 4:00 PM.

I loved the orange islands and I thought Tracy was a great character
    Black Version 2 FC: 4943 5487 2983

I really liked this arc despite Tracey being in it, And even though I missed Brock at least there were some references,The battle was really intense with Pikachu & Dragonite. I love how Ash was going to show the trophy he won to Brock as soon as he got home that was cute lol. I was happy he WON the orange league.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    I really liked this arc despite Tracey being in it, And even though I missed Brock at least there were some references,The battle was really intense with Pikachu & Dragonite. I love how Ash was going to show the trophy he won to Brock as soon as he got home that was cute lol. I was happy he WON the orange league.
    You are totally right! I liked the moment when Ash gave the trophy to his mother, who started using it for exercise! And another awesome part of this season are the crapload of PokeShipping signs, symptomes, evidence, hints, proof and more. Ash being jealous when Danny and later Rudy fall in love with Misty, and Misty getting defensive and angry when someone thinks Ash and Misty are a couple. But Misty should admit it, it's too obvious to deny.
    Last edited by AquaMilotic; 15th August 2013 at 2:11 PM.

Right. So the Orange Archipelago. I mean the Orange Islands. It was an okay season. A lot of the season was marred with some average episodes really but I thought that the League battle was well done albeit the one-sidedness that took place early on in the match. The Gym Leaders were pretty fun I admit. They weren't stale characters for the most part and they had some pretty interesting gym challenges. Tracey is terrible. That's all I will say about him though he did have some good moments like when he captured Scyther. I wished that they replaced Misty along with Brock just so we could get some more characters but her replacement might have been as bad so maybe it was for the better.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    Right. So the Orange Archipelago. I mean the Orange Islands. It was an okay season. A lot of the season was marred with some average episodes really but I thought that the League battle was well done albeit the one-sidedness that took place early on in the match. The Gym Leaders were pretty fun I admit. They weren't stale characters for the most part and they had some pretty interesting gym challenges. Tracey is terrible. That's all I will say about him though he did have some good moments like when he captured Scyther. I wished that they replaced Misty along with Brock just so we could get some more characters but her replacement might have been as bad so maybe it was for the better.
    ~I agree and am amused by this.~

My ideal battle ever!

Ash actually accomplished something.

The Orange Islands had to be the best saga of all time, the gym leaders were at their absolute best here, and Ash finally won a championship after that embarrassing loss to Richie. I miss Tracey

I liked this saga. Brock was replaced by Tracey, but he was not bad. The gym leaders were different and each gym had new challeges( double battle, ice cart race ). Episodes like 'Pikachu re-volts' and 'Charizard Chills' were great. Ash actually accompolished a league victory this time.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 14th August 2013 at 3:27 AM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

Great season overall, good gym battles and fillers and a good ending match along with the movie that has always been my favorite.

My favorite intro just got you hyped
    Tracey overall wasn't anything special or overdone but i found him good in the role to fit in the 3rd sort of spot letting ash and misty seemingly take more of the spotlight. along with all the extra hints that gave some extra entertainment.

I loved the Orange Islands series. Admittedly, I was like WTF? when it began (even though at the time I did not know that abbreviation or what it stood for) but it was still highly enjoyable.
    The best bits:
    > Lapras was awesome! When travelling around tropical islands, most people elect to go by cruise ship. Ash Ketchum decides to use something much cheaper and yet far cooler! At least for these islands, anyway...
    > Brock gets lucky! Ok, so they may not have gotten that far, but Brock was finally successful in love... for a couple of months at least...
    > Great Gym Battes. I didn't go much on Danny's Gym, but Ash competing against Cissy, Rudy and Luana were great fun to watch. Different to what we were used to, but fun.
    > Charizard starts to listen! Way overdue imo, but made for an enjoyable and highly memorably episode when it finally happened!
    > Misty finally catches a Poliwag. Despite Misty having never shown any particular desire to catch one prior to her actually doing so, I had always wanted Misty to get a Poliwag, and she finally did!
    > As a pokeshipper, most of this series was just fun to watch!
    > Ash and Gary finally have a battle at the end of it. Ok, it was only 1 on 1 and Ash loses, but it was still cool!
    > Ash gets a nice shiny trophy. The battle against Drak was nicely handled, with great performances from everyone, including the revelation of just how powerful the never-before-used Tauros actually is, throwing Venusaur and Dragonite into the air as if they weighed nothing!

The bad bits:
    > I never knew what to make of Tracey. He was okay, but only as a supporting character. His pokemon were pretty insignificant, except maybe Scyther, and he was pretty much just there so they kept up the "group of three" dynamic.
    > Squirtle didn't evolve. Not a big deal, but for a split second I was so sure that that was what we were going to see, but instead we got Hydro Pump. That was cool enough in and of itself, but an evolution would have made it all the sweeter.
    > Lapras got released. I feel that we did not see enough of this pokemon in battle (I for one would have loved to have seen it drown an opponent with surf!) and it was a shame that Lapras was dropped the moment their island-hopping adventures were over.
    > Not enough Snorlax. I loved that Ash caught Snorlax and think that it is one of his best pokemon, but in this series it was rarely seen was ended up just being a re-occuring fat joke.
    > Ash didn't go back for Pidgeot when his Island hopping was done. The Lying Twerp!
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

This was an average series to me. Didn't like the Orange gyms at all tbh, but I liked the Orange league battle. It was also great to see some awesome moments with the Kanto trio starters here. I'd rate this at 7/10
    Owner of the Dawn/Hikari Fanclub v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

This was the last good season of the OS overall. I really liked this season, Tracey was a bit bland at times but I enjoy him after being stuck with Brock for the next 10 years after, lol.

Sadly I don't know what happened to the writing after this arc ended. I was pretty excited to see Brock come back in Orange's finale thinking Johto would be a return to Kanto-style writing, but too bad that wasn't the case. In a way I see the Orange Islands as the true ending to the original series even if Brock was absent. This is also the last season where the cast keep their Kanto personalities before everyone gets stagnant in the next arc.

I sometimes wonder about this season's popularity. Pokémon as a whole was still very popular when the Orange Islands aired: the network had still adored it, Pokémon 2000 still did well in theaters... one can say the popularity's peak was during this season. So arguably, this would be the most popular season, right? But there are accounts of fans who were turned off by where the show was going. One of the biggest complaints about it was Brock's departure—well, “replacement”. Another complaint dealt with Team Rocket's change of direction, and there had to have been a few who thought the idea of Ash traveling around an archipelago was boring, and didn't want to see him out at sea every episode.

My guess is this polarizing opinion came to be because of the Internet, and with it the rise of fan sites, fan art, and fan fiction. I'm sure they've been around since the beginning of the Pokémon fandom, but if you ask me, most of this came from the older fans. Kids I don't think at the time particularly cared too much for what was going on outside of Brock's temporary departure, but the reception of the Johto and Hoenn sagas would be a different ballgame.

I will try not to repeat the good and bad aspects from the Indigo League season as there are notable differences. Thus with exception of the gyms (due to how different it is here), I'm not going to go into depth about certain things like the Jigglypuff gag if only because it was actually so spread out across the season compared to the last that she hardly made an appearance. I'd like to bring up Professor Ivy as she's probably one of the most well-known, one-scene wonder characters from the Orange Islands, but considering she only showed up for one episode and was in Pokémon 2000, yet is constantly brought up from time to time, I don't really feel I should bring her up. She's not a bad character, but I do sometimes wish she was involved more, and should've been.

An honorable mention I would like to bring up is Team Rocket. People will say Team Rocket was their strongest in Kanto, or were starting to become what they were meant to be in Best Wishes. But I personally do like them here in the Orange Islands because of all the lampshading—though I don't know if this was all because of the dub, or if the original did this, too. Ash and Misty had been stalked accosted by Team Rocket pretty much throughout their journey in Kanto that they are used to them here. They can't pick them out in a disguise to save their lives (or can they?), but they are tired of them and know they're losers to the point they have made side comments during recitals of the motto. And as for the motto, even Team Rocket took a jab or two at their motto as well, once questioning if reciting it really makes things better or worse for them.

In the meantime, like in the previous season, we do get moments where it's just the three of them being themselves, and they're some of my favorite moments of the season. They haven't really changed as characters, but you can tell their relationship is growing. “Meowth Rules” is one of the best examples of this, I feel, as it's similar to “Go West, Young Meowth” in how it gives Team Rocket the limelight, specifically Meowth. We learn more about these characters when they have an episode of their own, and it really gives him a human side we don't typically see otherwise. We know they're losers, they know they're losers, and are always going to be losers. But that's why we love them because we know there's more to them than that, they just don't make the right decisions to live up to their true potential. When it comes to each other, however, you can see that spark, and you can't help but sympathize with them and wish them the best. It's just a shame they would fall hard to the formula and become shells of their former selves.

Well, now that's out of the way, my five favorite aspects of the Orange Islands that I can bother to put into words:

Spoiler:- the good:

And now for the problems...

Actually, before I list what I didn't like about the Orange Islands, I might as well throw this out here while I'm thinking about it. This is more of a personal nitpick than anything else (thus why it's not being listed), and it doesn't take away from her as a character, but Misty got hit on in this season. Even though I'm a PokéShipper, PokéShipping has little if anything to do with this reason. I just found it really, really odd that Misty got hit on/had a crush on two gym leaders and I think a couple of other CotDs. It was established in the first season she's a bit of a romantic—not a lot, but she has her tendencies. As far as I can remember, I think she only developed a small crush on someone once. And I think only the doctor from the first season hit on her. “Misty Meets her Match” is the big one that's remembered more, especially amongst PokéShippers.

So was there any reason why Misty developed some crushes in this season? I don't know, but I don't feel it was necessary. Danny I thought was a boring, generic nice guy with the most boring gym battle in the series. Rudy is a better character, especially since his liking Misty was rather justified since she rescued his sister. Of course, he like a more suave Gary, if you ask me, and I actually do like him. But even so, I find these things so odd, almost out-of-place in Pokémon.

Anyway, enough of that. What bothered me the most about the Orange Islands?

Spoiler:- the bad:

For being a follow-up from the first season (and being the start of an obvious cash-in for years to come), the Orange Islands is just like its predecessor in carrying the Pokémon spirit despite being short and having a new cast member. Ash could have “started over”, Pikachu could have “reset”, Team Rocket could have gotten “sillier”, but they've only grown as characters—albeit depending on the episode—something that appears to be lost in future seasons (as gathered from viewers). Yet, despite how much it was a part of my childhood, and it was great to watch again, I am having a hard time putting thoughts together on this season. It's not a bad season, far from it, but I don't cherish it as much as I do Indigo League, or even the Johto saga. The season pretty much quietly came and went, and though it was never forgotten, it's not as widely talked about.

Why is that? It still left a good impact, but what was in it for everyone in the long run? The Orange Islands is not based off anything in the games (though the Sevii Islands may be the closest to it) so it had to rely on originality, which isn't something that happens these days. We got to spend some time with a new character, even though unfortunately he didn't get as much character development as the others, and he's the only cast member who stayed with the main cast the shortest. Ash was able to make it into the Hall of Fame of a League that is official to that archipelago, and according to Pokémon 2000 he was the chosen one who would save the world from impending doom, and he didn't forget. What, was it because the movie wasn't built up like the last one? I doubt that's any of the reasons. And yes, the theme song is not as popular as the first season's (must have been all that rocking out), but it's still catchy.

If I could say why, then I could, if only on a personal note. But for whatever reason, I don't have any good reason for why I, personally, don't talk about this season much. I don't hate it, I actually like it, but... what can I say? It's just a season that quietly stands in the background doing its own thing, occasionally waving when acknowledged. Maybe it would like to be with the other popular seasons, it's just too quiet and/or reserved to want to stand out. It's a 36-episode season caught in between an 82-episode season and a 158-episode saga made of three seasons (that the U.S. Split up, anyway). It's really not that hard to overlook, and I don't blame anyone who does.

I suppose it's for the best there wasn't a lot wrong with the season. The writing still has problems like the Indigo League, yet like before, I don't mind it. So what if it's not perfect, it's still enjoyable, it's still a part of the Pokémon continuity. I don't want to pretend it's a special little snowflake that needs special attention even though it's its own flavor, but I don't want to ignore it, either. I'll just have to unfortunately leave that little resort to get with the big guys with more meat on their bones, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for reading this. Wish me luck with Johto, I apparently need it.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    This was the last good season of the OS overall. I really liked this season, Tracey was a bit bland at times but I enjoy him after being stuck with Brock for the next 10 years after, lol.

Sadly I don't know what happened to the writing after this arc ended. I was pretty excited to see Brock come back in Orange's finale thinking Johto would be a return to Kanto-style writing, but too bad that wasn't the case. In a way I see the Orange Islands as the true ending to the original series even if Brock was absent. This is also the last season where the cast keep their Kanto personalities before everyone gets stagnant in the next arc.
    Are you serious? The only reason why I believed Johto was worse than this was because of all the extra fillers they had. But as far as everything else, if they would have just replaced Brock in Johto with Tracey, it would have been better in my eyes. Misty didn't do much in either saga so it wouldn't have mattered if she stayed or not.

As far as the Orange islands, the area was boring. Riding around on water and going from island to island was not fun. Tracey's goal served nothing for the show, Misty barely did anything especially since this was a water arc, and Ash was cocky a lot for whatever reason.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Are you serious? The only reason why I believed Johto was worse than this was because of all the extra fillers they had. But as far as everything else, if they would have just replaced Brock in Johto with Tracey, it would have been better in my eyes. Misty didn't do much in either saga so it wouldn't have mattered if she stayed or not.

As far as the Orange islands, the area was boring. Riding around on water and going from island to island was not fun. Tracey's goal served nothing for the show, Misty barely did anything especially since this was a water arc, and Ash was cocky a lot for whatever reason.
    Depends for who. I actually liked innovative take on pokemon series writers pushed through Orange Islands. They didnt hesitate in unleashing their own original ideas and creativity in this arc being free of burden they usually have when covering game based regions. Which in advance has preconstructed route, direction and plots they need to follow limiting on their imagination and artistic liberty.

And this really payed of during Orange Island archipelago giving us different insight in culture and how pokemon and humans co-exist in tropic, abundant with islands region.

In many ways Orange islands felt like adventure veiled with mystery containing attacks from pirates terrorizing sea and pokemon(like Lapras), containing lot of hidden bays, native tribes, unique pokemon, completely different format of gyms and league. Where instead of usual battling for badge trainer needed to prove imself in various disciplines such as racing, making objects from ice, shooting practice and introduced for very first time concept of double battling when Ash faced Luana.

Covering themes of spooky places and haunted ships telling story of deceased captain who ruled this archipelago centuries ago.

Being if anything very fresh and interesting to see Ash and friends using pokemon as transportation from one to another place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In regards to Misty i cannot even take your statement seriously. Orange covered Misty character realy well not omitting her from any important event remaining consistently active. She played important subplot in Ash fight against two gym leaders(Danny and Rudy), received vital role in saving Ash life in second movie and contributing in delivering orbs to Lugia temple,.

Received several episodes dedicated to her water pokemon master career, her ambitions, fears and struggles she contained as character. Battling trainers like Marina, meeting her idol ever since she was smal child E4 Loreleri learning how she wants to become prestiguous and honored water expert one day herself.

Helped enamored people get together like Nidoran kids demonstrating her witty and creative side. Saved Ash and Tracey like when they got poisoned seeing different, more caring side to her.

Played important role in myriad of episodes such as trying to catch Snorlax, coming up with plan howe to get him of island and preventing to eat all food. Took initiative in dealing with on fire buildings borrowing Tracey pokemon to dose up flames.

Helped escape from island full of Kabuto fossils which stated to sink, her Togepi was meritorious in demolishing TR base in that region etc.

Along weith writers exploring on her romantic feelings for Ash enriching whole season with extra take on diving in human protagonist persopnalities and ermotion bringing more depth to interactions.

So no, i disagree how "Misty barely did anything in Orange Islands". If your going to talk about someone receiving short end of stick in this saga it was Tracey, but definitely not Misty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12