Thread: Pokémon - Best Wishes/Black & White (13, 14, 15)

Default Pokémon - Best Wishes/Black & White (13, 14, 15)

Best Wishes/Black & White

Heading to the Unova region on vacation, Ash soon learns that the region is filled with brand new Pokémon and has its own league, so he and Pikachu decide to travel. While travelling, he meets Iris, who wishes to become a Dragon master, and Cilan who is a Pokémon Sommelier. As they travel through the region, they make many friends and enemies, and even have to face off against Team Rocket, who have received a promotion and are more devious than ever...

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

My favorite parts of BW.

Tepig's evolution.
    Leavanny slaying DOGARS
    Krookodile becoming the dragoniteslayer.
    Dawn and Piplup's guest appearance.
    Mijumaru being comically injured.
    Servine showing us all that attract isn't some sort of guaranteed win against the opposite gender. More like 90% actually.
    Dragonite's funny faces.
    CHARIZARD.
    Every scene with charizard in it.
    Mijumaru vs Hydreigon.
    Pignite vs Hydreigon.
    Lucario vs Ash.
    Actually all of Ash vs Cameron. Way better than tyson for a top 8 match.
    Virgil being a boss and winning the unova league without a single unova pokemon.
    Ampharos "helping mareep"
    Meowth's defection.

Ah, Best Wishes, you'll miss me...

What I enjoyed of Best Wishes
    - Iris and Cilan. Iris's unique ninja moments and Cilan's moment when it is crushed were so funny!
    - The first half of BW's Team Rocket trio. Awesome.
    - Snivy and all of Ash's Unova Pokémon (excluding Palpitoad).
    - Emolga.
    - Bianca, Trip, Virgil and Stephan.
    - Snivy and Emolga's constant catfights.
    - Dawn's return into the cast.
    - "Such a little kid".
    - Luke and his Zorua.
    - The interactions between the main characters Pokémon.
    - Ash's gym battle against Clay.
    - Georgia and Burgundy's attitude toward their respective rivals.
    - Iris's Deino-bonding episode.
    - Iris's battle against Drayden.
    - Cilan's battle against Skyla.
    - The flashbacks at the Kanto fair.
    - Alexa's appearance to introduce the Kalos region.
    - The goodbye scene at the very end of the episode where Iris and Cilan departed.

What I disliked of Best Wishes
    - Cameron's battle at the Unova League, and Cameron himself.
    - Palpitoad and Pansage.
    - Iris not catching Deino.
    - Ash's gym battle against Elesa. Even Bianca's was better.
    - Axew getting his own episode at the League (even though I actually enjoyed it).
    - The episode N arc and N himself.
    - Charizard's return.
    - The overall Decolore Island arc was pretty messy.

That's about it. Goodbye Best Wishes, you were very cool!
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 10th December 2013 at 1:28 AM.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

EDIT: Having gone through a bit more thought...

I don't think that this series is too bad on its own merits. There are a decent number of things that it does well. I enjoy the main group well enough, their friends/rivals and their interactions with them, the Club Battles, and even Ash's new Pokemon. The subplots were pretty nice too, namely Episode N & Operation Tempest. But I was ultimately turned off by this series, because it failed to uphold the strongest attributes of its predecessor, DP. The things that made me want to watch the show. Ash's progress and rivalries from this saga were just to great a step backwards for my liking.
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 28th April 2014 at 8:36 PM.

Not to nitpick so much, but I believe BW was seasons 14, 15 and 16. An honest mistake, I understand. :P

Anywho, my Pros and Cons:

Pros:
    Nobody releasing their Pokemon in the main gang. For what it was worth I enjoyed having all the Pokemon around in the BW family.
    Ash catching more than six Pokemon. This is both a pro and con. Pro, for it's wide range of choices and rotation made it shake things up a bit.
    The Don George Tournaments & Junior Cup. They were fun little get-together's for the rivals, and they had shining good battles.
    Dawn returning; both a Pro and Con. Expected, but I'm also surprised to see she got more episodes in appearance. Her Coordinator skills also improved as well. Gained more ground in that field!
    Meloetta arc; loved that lil Pokemon, and it was great having it around til the end.
    The Gym Leaders; didn't enjoy them too much than the DP leaders, but they all had good, stand alone moments.
    Iris and Excadrill's relationship; It was a surprise to see Iris with a powerhouse at the beginning, and just amazing to watch them grow together as trainer and Pokemon.
    Cilan; my personal favorite traveling companion. He's well content and has a neat flare to him.
    Snivy; totally underrated, and a very cool Pokemon. Especially going against 2 fire type Pokemon in battle. Beauty episode as well; had a shining moment.
    Emolga; sassy and a good rival to Snivy. Had drama, but was adorable nonetheless. Had good moments, too, like in the Beauty episode.
    The Rivals; Bianca, Stephan, Trip; I picked these guys out overall because of their given character. Trip is my least favorite of the three, with Bianca #2 and Stephan #1. They shined pretty well at the Unova League. Props to Stephan for giving the best battle during that League. Bianca and Trip were underrated, and I feel for their development and growth beforehand. Even if Trip didn't follow up strongly to Paul from DP. Nobody could have anyway.
    Team Plasma; they were so BA, I'm just glad they got to finally appear and show what they're made of. I also enjoyed the fact some of the grunts had names of their own.
    N; nuff said, cmon. He shines very well in the anime, and his personality is well constructed between both BW1 and BW2. He's isn't being fooled by someone, and he has a clear sight on his own opinion. And he's also in his BW2 status of being a former member of Team Plasma. No longer aiding Ghetsis and Neo TP. I think N'a anime counterpart does him great justice in a overall look to him.
    Colress; a very crazy character. But I love it! He had plenty of good moments.
    Iris VS Drayden. Really enjoyed it, even if it was a quick battle. Glad Excadrill got redemption over Haxorus.
    Giovanni playing a role in BW. I missed this guy, and I'm glad he's back. Not to mention he will be back for XY! His role in the Meloetta arc is very acceptable to me, especially with TR VS TP being canned and changed.
    TR VS TP; may have been reduced to 1 episode, but it was a good shin for the trio TR. Wasn't what we hoped for, but it works.
    The Butterfree episode; maybe it was a cheesy episode, but the ending brought back nostalgic tears. Oh man, the feels from many years ago.
    Clair returning; very neat surprise when DA was in it's early years, and it was a great hint to see Iris and Clair battle someday. Just maybe...
    Zoroark; it was a interest concept to see Zoroark talk with human speech. Are we one step closer to humans and Pokemon talking to each other?
    The old Team Rocket motto; it came back during the N saga, and it's cool to see it again! Much more enjoyable than the BW motto.

The Cons:
    Zekrom; uhm... okay? Just appears outta nowhere and never comes back. Okay. Random. Thanks anime. I really wanted to see a conclusion to this. But I guess Zekrom was only called by the writers to do a literal reset. Then it was withdrawn from appearance and back to the animation studio to chill with the money makers.
    Iris' dub line "Such a little kid". Got old real fast. Ash retaliating that line made up for it though.
    The Rivals; Georgie, Burgundy, Cameron. Georgia and Burgundy, I feel, had incomplete stories to finish. I liked that they had personality, even though they were some of the snobbiest of the pack. But it was a darn shame to see that their appearances ended right then and there; after the Junion Cup. Oh well. I believe their characters could have had more than what we were left with. Cameron though... sigh. Good trainer, but brainless outside the battlefield.
    Ghetsis; eh. He was the least interesting of the bunch. Would have loved to see more of him.
    Oshawott or Axew being a plot conflict. I love these guys, but geez... these guys get into a whole lot of trouble. But I do feel bad for Oshawott getting the burn during his Scalchop tourney episode.
    Ash and Iris' relationship; they need to grow up. I want to feel sympathy for them, but they didn't have that many heart warming moments together. Not at least from what I could remember.
    Georgia: "I didn't lose to YOU; I lost to your Dragonite". Somebody in this series just doesn't enjoy losing. :P
    Team Rocket; not them personally, but their many changes during the series. First: Serious + Black. Second: Serious + White. Third: Serious/Entertaining + White (N saga). Fourth: Goofy/Entertaining + White (DA!). I thought they were at their peak during the N saga, and pretty soon after that, it was nearly all goofty stuff.
    Iris and Cilan's goodbye episode. It was nice, but not the best. Kind of odd to have them see sights for Johto after being in Kanto for an unknown amount of time. But I won't complain. It's their desires, only they came out of the blue so quick.
    The Unova League, and Ash regressing Rank wise. Oh well. It was still an under-developed league and it could have been a whole lot better. The Kalos league can definitely pull that off greater.
    Ash getting more than 6 Pokemon. Neat idea, but it spread itself too thin. At least the show gave the idea a shot.
    The BW movies. Eh. All 3 of them looked cool, but none of them cracked my top favorite movies. If I had to pick one, then it would have to be the Mewtwo one. Although, I enjoyed the DP movies more.
    Ash not battling Drayden. Especially the look of Opelucid City. Wasn't exactly thrilled by the show's design pick.

Despite quitting watching after the Iris and Drayden battle this seems like fun so why not?

What I enjoyed:
    Iris and Cilan I legitimately enjoyed their characters and found them quite enjoyable though from keeping up with the series here they should have had a lot more development by the end of the saga especially Cilan at least goal wise.
    The animation did look nice but nothing to major or awe inspiring.
    The idea of rotation as on paper it sounded really good and would be a pretty good chance to showcase more pokemon and have more diverse teams for Ash to have.
    The idea of having more than on rival as well as giving both Iris and Cilan rivals as well.
    The tournaments were a great chance to allow all of the main characters to train and show off all their pokemon and how they are getting stronger and developing as well as allowing the rivals to be able to have more chances to show up and have a real part in the show.
    The serious and Team Rocket was a huge fresh air as they were finally competent and a threat too bad they went back to being goofy in DA.
    The meloetta arch was pretty enjoyable and I found meloetta to be absolutely adorable especially with her pseudo-magical girl transformation.

What I disliked:
    BW Ash need I say more.
    How rotation was handled with the way it was used I was surprised to see Palpitoad alive during the Roxie battle and had to remind myself that he exists when watching also Leavanny, Unfezant and Boldore were thrust into wayside and barely recognized as characters either.
    The pacing of BW was clearly a mess and was way too fast which created DA a literal saga of fillers and that's ridiculous. Not to mention that during that time they could of developed the teams of Ash, Iris and poor Cilan with only 3 pokemon the writers choose not to.
    The treatment of rivals was also done poorly and not really ending any storylines or getting proper closure or development.
    The lack of major development of Cilan who well was enjoyable only got 3 pokemon and only 1 actually evolved in his entire run and didn't advance his goal of connoisseur at all which was a shame as I would of liked to have seen that happen through sets of exams that would evaluate the trainer's skills with their knowledge of pokemon, grooming, battling and other stuff of the like as well as competing against others of their current ranks could have actually been interesting.
    The over all enjoyment of the saga was lacking as it just ended up feeling dull and bland and not as exciting or interesting or investing as the other sagas were to watch and keep up with.
    FC: 0216-0975-6856

Current Shinies

chain chain
    of 21 of 43

Best wishes always be my favorite saga :3

My favorite
    ash not being glorified
    iris and all her CD and her focus ep
    cilan and all His CD and his focus ep
    group chemistry
    the adventure feel
    BW 1 Team rocket <- they all totally bad ***
    BW pre N and DA episode , the filler enjoyable
    N saga
    the rival : all of them all enjoy able
    VOTD and COTD not forgettable
    Snivy and oshawott
    The mini tournament
    Dawn cameo
    melloeta arc
    Don Geroge and Parker
    DA Opening and Ending song

Negative thing
    Pikachu and Pigniote being glorified
    Charizard comeback <- pointless ever
    Unfezant , Palpitoad and boldore and the distribution of rotation
    ash got all 3 starter
    Unova leauge conclusion ( i want ash at least top 4 and battle virgil )
    Post Unova league TR
    DA saga ( even though i like how the adventure feel from DA and some episode is really enjoyable like oshawott island , butterfree , Alexa and kalos introduce , iris and clair , emolga episode , stration brother and MY dream pokemon master ep)
    Last edited by k6666; 7th January 2014 at 5:19 AM.
    Welcome Gen VI

PIKACHU
    the mascot of pokemon franchise

To me, the BW saga has both good points and bad points. but still, it has it's moments. There were some BW episodes I enjoyed, while the other BW episodes made me roll my eyes.

Cons :

1. BW started out with Ash meeting Zekrom, but the legendary was only there to "reset" Pikachu. After then, Zekrom was never seen in the anime.

2. Pikachu getting weaker(in other words, a "reset")

3. Pikachu losing to a beginner's Snivy.

4. Ash forgetting his past experiences and acting like a beginner all of sudden!(Seriously, why did he throw a Pokéball before weakening the Pokémon)

5. Iris' annoying catchphrase "What a Kid".

6. Axew getting lost/causing trouble

7. Oshawott and Snivy never evolving (Snivy should've evolved)

8. Not-so-good Gym battles.(The only Gym battle I liked was Ash vs. Brycen)

9. Ash losing in the major tournaments.

10. Trip, 'nuff said.

11. Cameron, 'nuff said.

12. A certain Pokémon getting huge amount of sceentime.

13. Virgil, I just didn't like this guy.

14. World Tournament Junior Cup.(The only good battle was Cynthia and the Elite 4 memeber's exibition match)

15. The Unova League (other than Ash vs. Steaphan, the whole Unova league was crappy)

16. Boring Decolore Adventures episodes like "Capacia Island UFO".

17. The rushed departure of Cilan and Iris.

Pros:

1. The pacing was great!

2. CILAN!

3. Cilan and Burgundy's rivalry

4. Iris and Georgia's rivalry.

5. Ash's Snivy was cool, too bad it never evolved.

6. Animation was top notch(it improved even more in XY). The character designs were much better, especially Ash's new design. Ash looks so much better with his new character design. To be honest, I never liked Ash's old character design.

7. The Subway arc (I enjoyed seeing Meowth joining Ash and co. for a while)

8. The Litwick Mansion episode.

9. Kami trio's appearence.

10. Elesa and Skyla's appearace.

11. Meloetta subplot and Operation Tempest(The final Rival Destinies episode was epic).

12. The Team Plasma/N arc.

13. The theme songs.

15. The permanent Return of CHARIZARD!(That's one of the best things the writers has done in my opinion)

16. Introduction of Alexa.

17. The BGM's. BW saga's BGM were great.

18. The BW saga's ending was nice too. It was a Good transition to Kalos with Pokémon journalist Alexa.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 14th December 2013 at 4:58 PM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

What I liked:

Trip and to a lesser degree some of the BW rivals.
    Ash's Unfezant, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Boldore and Krookodile.
    Serperior sweeping the entire Junior Cup flawlessly.
    Trip screwing the basics at all times despite how often he talked about them.
    Ash's Oshawott before they screwed him over in favor of making him a marketing tool who's only purpose was to serve as a punching bag.
    Ash's Charizard returning.

Quote Originally Posted by J Ken View Post
    What I liked:

Trip and to a lesser degree some of the BW rivals.
    Ash's Unfezant, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Boldore and Krookodile.
    Serperior sweeping the entire Junior Cup flawlessly.
    Trip screwing the basics at all times despite how often he talked about them.
    Ash's Oshawott before they screwed him over in favor of making him a marketing tool who's only purpose was to serve as a punching bag.
    Ash's Charizard returning.
    Y'know, if you didn't say "What I liked," I might have assumed you just listed the cons of the series.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

This series was awesome!

The music ranges from catchy to atmospheric. Some of my favorites are the two episode title screen themes.

The characters and Pokemon are all memorable, even one time characters. Ash was an ambitious kid with dreams, Lilia (Iris) was an aspiring dragon master who brings others down to bring herself up yet is still friendly, and Benny (Cilan) is a passionate guy with a wide range of interests and talents! On their own, they are good enough, but as a trio, they are amazing! Ash's childishness clashes with Lilia's know-it-all personality, Benny's passions and talents clash with Lilia's sanity, and Benny's over the top nature contrasts with Ash's personality, yet they're kind of similar. And the rivals were introduced to the characters properly but weren't forced. I give the example of A Connoiseur's Revenge, speaking of that episode, the music that plays at the beginning was so great! Georgina's introduction was pretty good, too, and her rivalry with Lilia is unique. Both of them are just like each other in attitude but their goals are different which makes for the best rivalry! Team Rocket were great villains that got to show off their personalities every once in a while while still being serious, but not generic faceless grunts that you see in many media. They didn't just appear and get defeated without a fight, they actually contributed to the plot. They even added to the group dynamics in their own weird way.

I don't play the games now but the locations from the games were really well crafted for the big screen, and the Pokemon are great too.

Almost each episode brought something new to the table, effort and care were clearly put into them, and many of them seemed to add to the main plot in the end.

Battles could be better but that's not why I started watching.

I liked DA even though it reeked of padding but at least the episodes were entertaining so it wasn't dull to me.

I would mention the title of Best Wishes! is cooler sounding and more creative than The Series XY but that has nothing to do with anything.

9.9/10
    Last edited by Benny+Lilia+Ash; 9th September 2014 at 9:31 PM.

Best Wishes. I know that this series has its fans, and in all honesty there are things that I do like about it, but to me this one will always be the series of missed opportunities.

To get across some of my opinions of the series, I must first look back to the end of the Diamond and Pearl series.
    At the end of that series, Ash was doing well. He had made it to the Top 4 of the Sinnoh League, being knocked out only due to a trainer who used legendary pokemon. Some of Ash's Sinnoh-caught pokemon rank amongst his best ever, with Infernape and Gliscor being my two particular favourites of his - in fact Ash's Gliscor managed to convert me. When the design of Gliscor first appeared, I thought it was a horrible looking thing. Ash's made me like it.
    In addition some of his other pokemon (Staraptor and Buizel), although not amongst Ash's top pokemon overall, were vying for the position of best that he had of their respective types.
    Not only that but the Sinnoh League gave us a very special treat. It is no secret that certain aspects of Ash's Johto team left something to be desired. At the Sinnoh league Noctowl and Cyndaquil were truely given time to shine and some of Ash's pokemon that I had long considered to be amongst some of his worst were suddenly moving up in my rating of them, with Noctowl learing Sky Attack, Extrasensory and Air Slash whilst Cyndaquil evolved and learned Flame Wheel, Eruption and Aerial Ace. Then there was Heracross who came back weilding the wonderfully useful Sleep Talk, along with Focus Punch and Hyper Beam, and there was Sceptile who learned Leaf Storm and was able to bring down a Darkrai whilst Pikachu fought a Latios to a draw.
    Ash's pokemon were strong. They had decent moves and knew an array of additional techniques, such as Counter Shield, Ice Aqua Jet and Volt Tail.
    Ash knew what he was doing and he was going strong.

At the end of Diamond and Pearl, Brock left and we were sure that he wasn't coming back. With him gone and with Ash gaining as much experiance as he had, the stage was set for the anime to take Ash to the next level, making him older, more responsible and (just maybe, I hoped) perhaps taking a rookie trainer as his protege (Hey, to me, it was feesible at the end of DP)

Then along came the very first episode of Best Wishes, and that battle. To my mind this was essentially the writers saying "**** you!" to the long-time fans of the series, much in the same way as The Simpsons writers now do whenever they churn out an episode about Marge and Homer's life together back in the ninties, crapping on the first fifteen years worth of episodes.
    Ash loosing to a trainer with several years' worth of experiance under their belt would have been credible - Pikachu had, after all, just lost his electricity thanks to Zekrom (a meeting, I hasten to add, that was never given a decent payoff!) and Ash was in a new land facing off against a pokemon that he had never encountered before.
    But that didn't happen. Instead he lost to a complete rookie and his just-moments-previously-obtained Snivy. Apparently Pikachu still having access to Iron Tail and Quick Attack meant nothing - he didn't have his electricity so he couldn't battle, therefore he looses to the poor attempt at a Paul rip-off.

To me that was a massive disappointment, but I still held out hope. Perhaps Ash's new team would be even better than the one he had in Sinnoh.

Even with the rotation system, the results were very bland.

Oshawott seemed pretty cool at first. His Razor Shell attack looked pretty darn cool and he had Water Gun and Tackle to back it up with. He just needed a confidence boost. Using his scallchop as a shield against a Solar Beam from Cilan's Pansage was brilliant and I was sure that, finally, we would get that thing that so many of us have wanted for so long - a fully evolved, water type starter in Ash's posession. Sadly it was not to be. The first time I became worried about Oshawott was when they were training in the battle club for their rematch against Lenora, and Oshawott learned Aqua Jet. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool move and that Oshawott needed help to open its eyes during the attack was a nice character point. But a little voice at the back of my mind could not help but go "Hang on! Water Gun and Aqua Jet? Haven't we seen this before?" And of course we had, in the form of Ash's Buizel during every battling appearance it had throughout Diamond and Pearl.
    The next warning came with the number of times that Oshawott would randomly appear out of its pokeball, all eager to battle when Ash was looking to choose someone else. This didn't bother me at first, but then I began to notice just how often Oshawott would end up losing the subsequent battle. This act of appearing at random is nothing new - Misty's Psyduck did it all the time. The trouble is, Misty's Psyduck could back it up by ending up with a massive headache and then letting its Confusion, Disable and Psychic attacks do the rest of the work.
    By the end of Best Wishes, I would stop watching when Ash's Oshawott entered the battle, changing the channel and coming back once the inevitable had happened. There was no need to keep watching as 9.7 times out of 10 we all knew what was coming. I have never watched Ash's battle with Cheren all the way through because the outcome was a foregone conclusion (checking Serebii proved my prediction right!) Oshawott simply could not back up its desire to battle with any prowess for doing so. Not even learning Hydro Pump really helped in any way. In fact Oshawott learning Hydro Pump felt incredibly cheap to me. For a long time Squirtle was the only one of Ash's pokemon to know Hydro Pump, and he earned the right to use it. Fastforward to Best Wishes and Ash encounters a wild Palpitoad that knows Hydro Pump, signifying its power and triggering Ash's decision to try and catch it. Why they felt the need to then give Oshawott Hyrdro Pump (rather than, say, Aqua Tail, Scald, Waterfall, Brine or Water Pledge) is beyond me!

Best Wishes did something that the anime had never done before - it gave Ash a pokemon that I really, truely disliked. In fact I came to dislike Oshawott so much that many of the other pokemon in the main cast that I have disliked in the past I now like (for example, although I never hated Torterra specifically, its lack of wins after evolving left me extremely exasperated, but now I can see Torterra and go "Well, at least its not Oshawott." Torterra never volunteered to get its arse kicked!)

Tepig was ok. It's Ember attack did look pretty cool and its Flame Charge was impressive. Admittedly its whole "abandoned by its abusive previous owner" thing did make me role my eyes and go "Here we go again!" but apart from that I had no problem with Tepig. Then it learned Flamethrower.
    Now then, I have a certain issue with Flamethrower and it is this - why the hell must Ash teach it to every single fire type pokemon that he has? For that matter, why must every single thing that breathes fire in the anime have Flamethrower? I think that the only individual fire type to ever appear more than once who did not exhibit this move ever is Gary's Arcanine. Apart from that its Flamethrower all the way. Okay, other fire type moves are about - Flame Charge, Flare Blitz, Heat Wave, Flame Wheel, Eruption and Fire Pledge, but these moves are always secondary to Flamethrower. Do you know that Ash has never owned a pokemon that knew Fire Blast, despite that move being released in Generation 1? For that matter, do you know that Blast Burn is the only one of the three elemental versions of Hyper Beam to never appear in the anime? That's because they all know Flamethrower.
    I had everything crossed that Tepig would finally break Ash out of this trend, but no.

At least the water and grass types mix it up a little!

Anyway, apart from that little rant, Tepig/Pignite was ok. I like that it ended up getting a Focus Band. We should have seen more of that.

Snivy was pretty cool. For the first time Ash gets a female pokemon that knows how to use this to her advantage. That much I liked, as Attract hadn't really been played about with too much in the anime before this, other than with only or two random pokemon of the day. Unfortunately Iris's Emolga and Bianca's Minccino and Emboar were given this too, and Attract was suddenly everywhere. Snivy's other moves were admittedly powerful, but nothing new - Vine Whip we had seen with Bulbasaur and Bayleef since the moment they were caught, Leaf Blade was Sceptile's staple move, and Leaf Storm was exihibited fairly well by Torterra and Sceptile. It always disappointed me that Snivy never learned anything new. I see people complain about the lack of non-grass type moves available to Snivy, but Aerial Ace, Aqua Tail, Twister, Iron Tail and Slam were all available to it. Heck, Ash could have taught it Giga Drain and it would have been plenty different from his other grass types!
    I liked Snivy as a character, but she did not get enough screen time. In fact I think that she might qualify for the award of getting the smallest amount of screen time and development of all of the starter pokemon that Ash owns.

Scraggy was ok I suppose. I never expected him to evolve, and he didn't. Learing Focus Blast and Hi Jump Kick was pretty cool though. Should have been given the chance to grow up a bit more though.

Unfezant was a pokemon that I really struggled to care about. When it was caught it knew Gust, Air Cutter and Quick Attack, and it never forgot them. Instead it added Aerial Ace, something done by three birds in a row now.
    The thing is, after the previous birds, Unfezant was just a letdown. Admittedly Pidgeot didn't to a massive amount of battling, but it was undoubtedly powerful with a strong will and a determination to do all that it could. Noctowl wasn't much, only standing out because it was Ash's only pokemon to ever use a damaging psychic type move. Then Swellow turned up and went "Hey! Us birds can put up a good fight too! You don't have to rely on Pikachu, the fire type, the grass type and the water type all the time!" And fight it did. Staraptor followed in this vein as well, robbing Swellow of its title of Top Bird (depending on who you ask of course!) Then Noctowl came back for the Sinnoh League and was awesome!
    All of this contributed to Unfezant being very lacklustre. Its very much a "meh" pokemon and already X&Y's Fletchling outranks it in my opinion (not necessarily in terms of battle prowess, but just in terms of being interesting.)

Once it was caught, Krookodile quickly steeped into the role of "powerhouse" on Ash's Unova Team, though I don't think that it quite ever reached the same level as Charizard, Infernape, Sceptile or Snorlax (imo it was on about the same level as Gliscor and Heracross). It had a wide variety of moves and had the strength to back up its attitude. The sunglasses were a nice tough, and I do wonder if they are really the held item Blackglasses, which power up dark type moves. That would be pretty cool.

But for me the most interesting pokemon that Ash caught in Unova were the ones we rarely saw - Palpitoad, Boldore and Leavanny. Palpitoad was cool, powerful and could use Supersonic, being Ash's first pokemon capable of confusing an opponent. Hydro Pump and Mud Shot were great attacks and gaining Sludge Wave later was brilliant, making it the first pokemon owned by Ash since/besides Muk to use a poison type attack.
    The capture of Roggenrola was, to me, a complete surprise. Of all the pokemon in the Unova pokedex that Ash could have caught, Roggenrola was not one that I would have ever put my money on. But catch it he did, becoming Ash's first official rock type and, with Flash Cannon, Rock Blast and Sandstorm at its side, I had a feeling we could expect good things from it, especially as it was the first of Ash's pokemon to use a weather changing move. And then it was revealed to have Sturdy as its ability, allowing it to turn the tables on Clay and evolve into Boldore.
    It was a slight surprise when Ash caught Sewaddle, not only because Leavanny was not a pokemon that I could see Ash using, but also because this would be his second Unova grass type and his first gras type that wasn't a starter. Sewaddle was cute, had Bug Bite, which I really loved, and performed admirably at Burgh's gym after Tepig fell. It evolved into Swadloon rather fast... and then appeared as though it would stay there. When it finally did evolve into Leavanny I was a bit worried about its moves. I doubted that it would be learning either Leaf Blade or Leaf Storm and Snivay already had both of these, and I was unsure about whether I would like it keeping the only three moves it had been shown with in a long time - String Shot, Razor Leaf and Energy Ball. Then Ash developed a strategy of trapping a pokemon with String Shot, holding there and sending either Razor Leaf or Energy Ball down the string line to ensure a hit. Simple yet ingenious. The eventual addition of X-Scissor was welcome but long overdue.
    Palpitoad, Boldore and Leavanny are probably my three most favourite of Ash's Unova-caught pokemon. It's just a shame that we didn't see more of them!

Iris is a character that I have always struggled to like. There have been times when I thought she was ok, but most of the time she was just too whiny. Seeing her and Ash swinging through the trees was always fun, but apart from that there wasn't much else. One thing that the anime has always struggled to do is pay justice to those who want to master one particular type of pokemon. One has to wonder how you do this, as the writers don't appear to know either. They don't compete at Gyms or Contests, but can enter the same side-tournaments as everyone else. They can catch a few pokemon of their chosen type, but beyond that there is little else other than generic training of their pokemon. I liked it when the girls had something to build towards. Ash would say "I need to go to this city because the next gym is there" and then she would say "ok, but we have to go to this town first because that's where my contest is." There was a compromise, each one taking it in turns to take a step towards their respective goal. With Iris she was just... there. Following Ash. For no apparant reason other than waiting for a chance to call him a little kid.

I won't go into how much I hate Iris's Dragonite. It's enough to say I hate it. I hate that she got it. I hate how she got it. I hate how all her other pokemon were shunted off to one side once she had it.

There is one moment that, to me, sums Iris up entirely. Its in the episode when Ash's Charizard returns. No, it isn't when she mistakes it for a dragon type - everyone everywhere who knows anything about pokemon has asked themselves why Charizard isn't part dragon. Its what she says once she learns the truth about Charizard's typing that gets me - "And here I was hoping I could catch a Charizard and raise it too!" That's right, the only reason she won't be catching a Charizard is that it isn't a dragon type. This does, of course, beg the question "Iris, what the hell do you think Excadrill and Emolga are then?"
    Such a little kid!

Cilan. I liked him to start with. He was the group's chef and friendship-rater all roled into one. The only thing that I didn't like was that I thought it was bad form to only have one of the elemental monkeys in the main cast, but that's really beside the point. Unfortunately they killed Cilan's joke by making him an expert in absolutely everything they encountered. To me that was very dull.

Trip. Words cannot express how much this guy irked me. I've already gone into some of it above, but let's just look at some of the rest. With the exception of the Junior Cup, he was knocked out in the first round of everything else he entered - Club Battle, Clubsplosion and in the Unova League. That Ash was meant to be the underdog to this guy was really more of a poor reflection on him than anything else. He doesn't even develop a decent team, with the majority of his team being unevolved and having one appearance only to their names.

Cameron. Simply put this guy is worse than Trip. That it was this guy that knocked Ash out fo the league was more shameful that Ash's loss to Ritchie back in the Kanto League - at least both trainers had a full team for that battle. Cameron was idiotic and clueless as well as hopeless and annoying. That Ash was knocked out by him instead of Virgil was a huge disappointment, but at least Virgil knocked this idiot out of the tournament like he deserved.

Bianca. Say what you will about her, but I liked her. Some dismiss her as a dumb blonde stereotype, but I can think of several people that I went to school with who were a lot like her, maybe a little less accident prone, but just as ditzy. At least they bothered to actually try and give Ash a female rival of some kind, though it ultimately didn't have the payoff at the league. Perhaps they should have given Ash a second female rival who was a bit more serious just to balance her out. It was a shame that we never got to see more pokemon with her. One thing that I found particularly interesting was when Ash actually risked having to go home in order to try and convince her father to allow her to stay on her journey - it provided a rather significant character moment for Ash and one that we rarely get to see. I don't think that he has ever really battled with such high stakes at risk for a friend (outside the movies maybe.)

Stephan. I was always a little indifferent to this guy, but I liked that Ash had him as a friendly rival. Also I think that Ash's battle against him at the Unova League was the best one we got out of that tournament. I will admit to having rooted for him to have obtained a Golduck, but I didn't get my wish.

Okay, so that covers Ash's rivals and, while I did like Stephan and Bianca, I didn't like Trip or Cameron and thought that maybe there should have been a more competent female trainer as Ash's rival as well. I was thinking about how that could have been put "right" in my eyes and, by putting this with my dislike of Iris as she is, I did come up with a solution that I would have preferred a lot more - Iris as Ash's rival. By making her personality a bit more like that in the games, and having her obtain a team of six consisting of Haxorus, Druddigon, Hydreigon, Archeops, Aggron and Lapras, I think that she would have made the perfect rival to Ash. To me this would have been a far more interesting angle to take and, really, who would complain about Ash losing in a league battle to someone who in the games went on to become a champion?

Georgia, Burgundy, Virgil and Luke were all characters that I liked as well. I especially liked it when Georgia pointed out that Iris won a tournament with her Excadrill rather than a dragon type, which is what she was meant to be specialising in.

Ash's gym battles were fairly decent. Some people complain about the battle against Elesa, but apart from the overpowered Tynamo that knew only Tackle it seemed fine to me. The battle against Roxie was kind of a damning statement about the state of Ash's team though.

Charizard's return - I liked this because I always like seeing Ash's old pokemon come back and show off some new moves. I did not like two of those moves - Slash and Wing Attack, which it essentially forgot Steel Wing and Seismic Toss to learn. Dragon Tail was a nice addition however.

Episode N and Team Plasma. Very dull, I thought. Rushed and ill concieved.

Team Rocket. I liked how they began, but when all is said and done they outlived their purpose a looooong time ago. I no longer care for their pokemon like I used to and any pokemon given to them now just feels like a waste.

Decolore Islands. They had a choice between doing this and doing the World Tournament, the perfect chance to bring back many old faces from the past, including Misty, Lance, Cynthia and all those other Gym Leaders that Ash faced a long time ago. They chose to do the Decolore Islands thing... Yeah... {cough}

So in conclusion, was there anything about Best Wishes that I did like? Well yes - I liked Palpitoad, Boldore, Leavanny, Krookodile, Snivy, Stephan, Bianca, Burgundy, Georgia, Virgil, Luke, Ash's Gym Battles and Ash's league battle against Stephan. I also greatly enjoyed the mini tournements hosted by the various Battle Clubs, as well as the concept of the Clubs themselves.

Best Wishes wasn't really quite so bad as I sometimes think but it could have been a lot better IMO.

Perhaps my hatred of Oshawott, Trip and Cameron and my dislike for Iris cloud my thoughts on the series at times.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

Default Pokemon: Best Wishes - Full Review

Okay. So i've been meaning to make this for a long time but put it off whenever possible, but now i feel like i have to. It's well known on this forum that i really disliked the saga and definitely class it as the worst, but people seem to think it's the only way i view it, that i didn't find any enjoyment from it. This is not true. It had it's good parts, to an extent.

In this post I'm going to list practically everything good and bad about the saga and my thoughts on it all. So, with that out the way i'll begin with the good parts:

Spoiler:- Good Parts:

Spoiler:- Bad Parts:

Spoiler:- Conclusion:

If you decided to read all of this, then thank you. I hope you understand that for me Best Wishes may be the worst saga, but the Pokemon Anime as a whole is too enjoyable to hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter ゴースト View Post
    [SPOILER=Conclusion]Overall, you can see that Best Wishes clearly had it's enjoyable and entertaining parts for me. The main problem was that there were so many more bad parts that they completely overshadow the fun parts of it. This is a saga with so much wasted potential, lack of development, rushed events and aggravating moments that it becomes painful to imagine just how good it could have been had it been planned, focused and written better. Best Wishes, for me feels like it genuinely doesn't belong in the Pokemon Anime – the characters and everything else just seem so out of place compared to OS, AG, DP and XY. The style is just completely different. It's a shame because Black and White were great games with so many things for the BW Anime Series to take note on but simply didn't come to be. Infact, the entire saga felt like it was always trying to build upon something, but that too never really came to be. Something that does need to be praised heavily in Best Wishes which i have already mentioned is that the majority of Pokemon were brilliant. Krookodile, Scraggy, Excadrill, Emolga, Oshawott, Snivy... they were great and i dare say some of the best personalities in the series.
    Very nice post! I have to agree - BW just didn't fit with OS, AG, DP, and XY. Maybe it was its pacing or animation style or regression of Ash, I don't know. It honestly seemed like it should have marked the start of a new series with a different protagonist. Putting a post-DP Ash in that type of 'newbie' role was just jarring. And you're right, the series had a lot of missed potential and rushed through everything for a pointless filler arc.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Honestly, wow, was this ever an unexpected surprise: this may not be my favorite arc, but it's a lot better than DP was or XY is to me. The writers weren't afraid to try new things for a change, and while the execution was lacking, it was nice to see something refreshing rather than the same stale, repetitive, formulaic trash again and again.

Good Parts:

- Cilan: I liked this guy-- very funny, enthusiastic, and a savior from that OTHER background fodder character DP Brock.
    - Iris: Sarcastic, witty, but also interesting backstory with village of Dragon elder, etc. Nice to see an outgoing female lead like her take the stage and put Ash in his place sometimes, IMO.
    - Team Rocket: Dear god, this was a nice change of pace for them. No stupid jokes, no retarded blasting off, no arguing like 5 year olds, etc. I admit I was upset at first, but it turns out this was a return to form for the characters and frankly, it was great while it lasted until stupid Decolora Adventure filler arc reared its ugly head here.
    - Don Battle Tournament Introduction was great.
    - Don George was an interesting concept to say the least.
    - Stephan was a good rival.
    - Episode N.
    - ORG JPN BGM was good for the first time since AG.

Neutral Parts:

- BW Ash: Regained his personality, but lost his intelligence-- voice in English is more tolerable than BF, DP, or XY Ash, though.
    - Team Plasma: Colress rocked, but Ghetsis was poor: meh, just meh.
    - Trip: Good character, but badly handled.

Bad Parts:

- Unova League: Cancerous.
    - Da!: See Unova League.
    - BW142 Ash
    - Cameron
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 23rd May 2014 at 10:03 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Iris was the best part of Unova. She was opinionated, strong, confident, determined, etc. Everything Serena isn't. Her putting Ash in his place was icing on the cake.

Too bad Cameron, the Unova League and the Declora Islands sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
    Does Dawn own Misty? Yes she does!

Best Wishes main problem was how terrible Ash's character was written. Its hard to believe this saga came directly after DP, because the writers literally threw away everything they did with Ash in the previous arc.

The other problem was the Pokemon. Ash's Unova Pokemon were among his absolute worst pokemon team since his Johto Pokemon, with only a few standouts like Krookodile and maybe Snivy. Why the writers gave him so many captures but then didn't bother to develop any of them is beyond me. Most people will wind up forgetting his Unova Pokemon because they were so forgettable.

Unova also had the worst league and, "filler arc" of the series. I mean at least Orange Islands and Battle Frontier had a purpose, I can't even understand what the point of those island episodes were. The writers couldn't even make another tournament arc for Ash to end the series with rather than just 20 episodes of bland filler?

In many ways Iris and Cilan felt like they were supposed to be new and improved versions of Misty/Brock. On one hand they were handled a little better but a little worse in other areas. Iris really doesn't go through much development in the series, and the Dragonite they give her at the end really felt like a rushed attempt to make her look better than she actually was. I do give the writers props for having her battle more often than Misty ever did though, and some of the dragon backstory was interesting. Too bad her character doesn't really develop or change though, she's largely the same exact character by the end of BW as the one we meet in the first episode.

Also, most of the rivals sucked. Trip was an utter waste and Iris/Cilan's rivalries go nowhere. The way I see it BW was a mixed bag of a saga that could have been really interesting but wound up dragging the show backwards in a lot of areas.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Best Wishes main problem was how terrible Ash's character was written. Its hard to believe this saga came directly after DP, because the writers literally threw away everything they did with Ash in the previous arc.

The other problem was the Pokemon. Ash's Unova Pokemon were among his absolute worst pokemon team since his Johto Pokemon, with only a few standouts like Krookodile and maybe Snivy. Why the writers gave him so many captures but then didn't bother to develop any of them is beyond me. Most people will wind up forgetting his Unova Pokemon because they were so forgettable.

Unova also had the worst league and, "filler arc" of the series. I mean at least Orange Islands and Battle Frontier had a purpose, I can't even understand what the point of those island episodes were. The writers couldn't even make another tournament arc for Ash to end the series with rather than just 20 episodes of bland filler?

In many ways Iris and Cilan felt like they were supposed to be new and improved versions of Misty/Brock. On one hand they were handled a little better but a little worse in other areas. Iris really doesn't go through much development in the series, and the Dragonite they give her at the end really felt like a rushed attempt to make her look better than she actually was. I do give the writers props for having her battle more often than Misty ever did though, and some of the dragon backstory was interesting. Too bad her character doesn't really develop or change though, she's largely the same exact character by the end of BW as the one we meet in the first episode.

Also, most of the rivals sucked. Trip was an utter waste and Iris/Cilan's rivalries go nowhere. The way I see it BW was a mixed bag of a saga that could have been really interesting but wound up dragging the show backwards in a lot of areas.
    1. Ash's Unova team did suck but I felt snivy was developed well. Honestly speaking, she was the lone standout from that bunch. Most of them were forgettable.

2. The only point of the Battle Frontier was to advertise the third gen games. It was not needed at all. The Unova league and the filler arc at the end was absolutely terrible. However, I will admit that the tournaments throughout the series were done pretty well, especially since there were so many named characters taking part instead of just the 3 main characters and Ash's/female main's rival. Iris not only winning a tournament but defeating Ash and pikachu in the process was a major achievement that Misty never had.

3. Cilan I felt was a horrible character at first but over time grew to like him more. He's still no Brock, however. As for Iris, I feel she was handled WAY better than Misty ever was. All Misty had going for her was that she was angry and had a crush on Ash. Take that away and she has nothing. Iris was badass and didn't take crap from anyone, including Ash, which was a nice change. It might seem she did not get much development because she started out so strong, but seeing her confidence grow over the course of the show was great.

4. Ash's rivals sucked except for Bianca. Burgundy was mildly entertaining and Georgia was good. However, like you said, there was no end game to any of those feuds. I think the Declora Islands would have been much if Bianca, Georgia and Burgundy were there. I can't understand why every rival was written off the show following the league finals.
    Last edited by chalkus; 16th September 2014 at 9:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
    Does Dawn own Misty? Yes she does!

I agree that the DA! arc was the worst part of BW; the writers had so many episodes in which to do something cool, but aside from Alexa's debut, the whole arc was devoted to filler. Ugh, what a waste of time. BW as a whole was dreadful in my opinion. I'm glad it's long over, but its legacy of bad writing will haunt the anime forever. :c

Quote Originally Posted by chalkus View Post
    1. Ash's Unova team did suck but I felt snivy was developed well. Honestly speaking, she was the lone standout from that bunch. Most of them were forgettable.
    I've already forgotten most of Ash's Unova Pokemon. Ash works better with smaller teams when he only catches 5-6 pokemon a region. It seems like the XY saga is following a slower rate of captures similar to Hoenn and Sinnoh.

Honestly as soon as I saw that Ash got all 3 starters again, something that hadn't happened since Johto, I knew his team was going to be lackluster. Whenever Ash gets 3 starters they either never evolve or only one of them does.

2. The only point of the Battle Frontier was to advertise the third gen games. It was not needed at all. The Unova league and the filler arc at the end was absolutely terrible. However, I will admit that the tournaments throughout the series were done pretty well, especially since there were so many named characters taking part instead of just the 3 main characters and Ash's/female main's rival. Iris not only winning a tournament but defeating Ash and pikachu in the process was a major achievement that Misty never had.
    Battle Frontier still continued everything that was set-up before it, had Ash continue to evolve and rotate his Pokemon (Grovyle and Phanpy evolve, he brings back older pokemon), and continued May's Contest arc for a second region. It also wrapped up the AG series in general far better than if it just ended after the Hoenn league. It was also another saga where Ash's journey could have potentially drawn to a close had he decided to become a Frontier Brain. Same for Orange Islands that continued stuff from Kanto with Charizard and Ash winning his first 6 on 6 battle.

The island episodes...literally 20 episodes of filler. Nothing happened at all. Not even any pokemon evolving or nothing.

3. Cilan I felt was a horrible character at first but over time grew to like him more. He's still no Brock, however. As for Iris, I feel she was handled WAY better than Misty ever was. All Misty had going for her was that she was angry and had a crush on Ash. Take that away and she has nothing. Iris was badass and didn't take crap from anyone, including Ash, which was a nice change. It might seem she did not get much development because she started out so strong, but seeing her confidence grow over the course of the show was great.
    The problem might be that Iris was only around for 3 years. She had the shortest run of any female companion in the series, and in a saga where it was mostly based around Ash, she didn't get to do much outside her dragon-related episodes or the tournament.

A lot of Iris' development was neglected. Axew was hyped up at the beginning of the series to eventually become a powerhouse and it never happened. Excadrill also faded into the background as the saga progressed and especially after she got Dragonite. Emogla just seemed to be there to be the typical cute pokemon but nothing more.

I am also not a fan of a character getting a fully evolved 3-stage Pokemon out of nowhere. I didn't like how Dawn got a Togekiss either, but at least there it didn't matter too much as it came so late in the series. They should have had Iris capture a Dratini earlier in the series and eventually grow and train with it. The writers giving Iris a Dragonite that didn't even fully obey her even towards the end of the series seemed like a quick way to make her look stronger than she was. I would have prefered Axew just evolve instead of being the typical baby Pokemon.

I also wish they played up Iris' jungle or wild girl abilities a lot more. After the early episodes it seemed to only be brought up in a handful of episodes after that.

4. Ash's rivals sucked except for Bianca. Burgundy was mildly entertaining and Georgia was good. However, like you said, there was no end game to any of those feuds. I think the Declora Islands would have been much if Bianca, Georgia and Burgundy were there. I can't understand why every rival was written off the show following the league finals.
    The rivalries were one-sided and went nowhere. Iris beat Georgia almost everytime they battled, same for Cilan and Burgungly. Since Misty and Brock never had rivals I was actually excited to see supporting characters get rivals but they were handled so badly it left me scratching my head.

I also can't understand the purpose of Trip. He felt like a watered down version of Paul and since he was a rookie his strength seemed to come out of nowhere. Why was he even created since he wasn't even from the games?

Lastly Dawn's cameo could have been handled better. Even though she returned for 9 episodes it felt like she was only there for like 3-4 episodes, since in most episodes she was in the background and they have Iris quickly defeat her in battle knocking her out of the tournament before she can even get proper focus. If that was the last time Dawn will ever appear in the anime, it wasn't exactly a good sendoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    I agree that the DA! arc was the worst part of BW; the writers had so many episodes in which to do something cool, but aside from Alexa's debut, the whole arc was devoted to filler. Ugh, what a waste of time. BW as a whole was dreadful in my opinion. I'm glad it's long over, but its legacy of bad writing will haunt the anime forever. :c
    I pretty much agree, though while I disliked most of BW, I did like some things, like Team Rocket in the 1st half of BW and the 1st 20 episodes in general because it really felt like a fresh start, excluding the whole Ash acting like a newbie moron again. I also loved the 1st few episodes of when Dawn returned and her interactions with Iris and Cilan, but starting with the Dragonite episode her arc and the Junior Cup arc was horribly written imo. I did like the Iris focused episodes now that I look back at them, they seemed interesting to me now, and I do think Iris was handled decently. Most of BW 2, including the League, Episode N, and DA were just downright horrible though imho.
    If I had to rate this series I'd give it either a 4/10 or a 5/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by chalkus View Post
    I will agree how tournaments were one of BW saga hightlights. It was refreshing to see all rivals and main cast gathering at one place producing wide array of emotions and humorous interactions. Especially with Iris and Geargiua clash and heated tension, along with Burgundy grumpy nature mixed with jealousy over Cilan higher rank.

Female lead for once stealing glory from Ash was nice change of pace as well when dominating that Don George tournament and winning set of wings. Because Ash most of time wins bigt competitions, so seeing girl succeed for change was satisfying.

However i disagree over Battle Frontier not being needed. While it portrayed return to Kanto terribly not resembling revisit of this region at all aside from title. Not featuring any older gym leader(not even Sabrina when Ash and co were in Saffron city, return of any familiar faces like Misty which could have joined group traveling with them there and advance her own dreams of water master possibly ending as E4 Lorelei apprentice better representing Kanto and Ash homeland that way through another face iconic to this region. No visit of older places, towns, landscapes and various trainers Ash met on his journey initially(like Gielle or AJ), No comeback or throwback to some of his older pokemon like Primeape for example.

Battle Frontier still served very important role in giving May and her rivals build up of story established before showing character actively continuing to improve as coordinator after pretty mediocre performance in Hoenn GF. It allowed to have May finally defeat her most fierce rival Drew and come to cognition of being time to leave Ash and make her own path to follow. It established new scope for Ash to obtain serving as testament to hard work, training and more creative strategies he developed during journey through AG saga. Conquering Battle Frontier and making big leap in becoming recognized as powerful, ingenious and skilled trainer,. Which is important because from future pokemon masters its expected to make name for themselves among other powerful trainers of high caliber.

It gave Brock development in evolving his pokemon like Mudkip, catching new ones like Bonsly, developing better understsnding for his disfunctional family witnessing nice bonding moment with younger brither Forest motivating him to become succesful gym leader and continued to enrich on knowkedge as breeder.

So i wouldnt say BF was waste of time.

On other hand Decolora adventure was disaster, With little to zero development for anyone, Cilan and Iris rivalries with Georgia flopping not going anywhere in end.

Whole adventure through islands not having any real plot, substance and sense of direction. With main cast starting to stagnate after N arc being painfully clear how writers just stalled out until next generation comes out not putting effort at all to tell eventful and endearing story anymore.

Fact how bad departure between Ash and Iris, Cilan was wanting to go visit his hometown and region he originated from just to change mind and depart to Johto with no emotion, attachment and impression of three strong friends saying goodbye existing there says ALOT.

Worst thing of all is how they had material in games to adapt in anime such as World Cup. Which could have received more coverage than just small, local like event in form of Junior Cup which was travesty and disgrace to such huge competition made in games. Biggest event existing in pokemon world gathering powerful trainers from all part od world.

Writers could dedicate whole DA adventure to promotion of World Cup dividing it in multiple cups like junior cup, senior cup, champion cup. Featuring return of older gym leaders, return of previous traveling companions like Misty who could gained alot in meeting and battling all kind of reputable trainers in sharping skills and building way toward reaching elite trainer calliber. And giving more flavor and story to post league adventure.

Give Ash some sense of importance and objective to reach in helping him to discover new alternative ways of building strength of his pokermon progressing goal of becoming pokemon master. While Iris and Cilan could through participation in such events improve their trainer skills, develop better their pokemon and advance forward.

Especially in Iris case helping pokemon like Axew to become more powerful and open doors toward reaching predispositions to eventually evolve.

Is this a joke?

Misty had story to become water pokemon master,learn as much as she can about water type, find and if possible catch legendary pokemon she always dream about, had complex of feeling less worthy compared to Daisy and others along with having issues and fears which stood on way preventing her from going forward(Gyarados specie fear, tendency to judge pokemon by looks, rather than inside strength etc came to mind).

She also had highly passionate, sympathetic and colorful personality capable of showing big range of expressions. From enthusiasm, appreciation for romance, sassy behavior coming with various jokes, along with defiant, strongwilled attitude not letting others to give up and be submissive and lot of unselfish, caring side. Coming of as nuanced and rich in personality protagonist.

In comparison i felt Iris character development was well pretty scarse compared to Misty. Who displayed big change in emotionally growing in more mature, tougher, tolerant and independent individual. Showing various sides to her personality over time as she grew and developed new traits and interest. In developing close appreciation for her human friends, repairing broken rekationship with sisters, overcoming personal childhood trauma and becoming more open and understanding of different opinions, thus accepting better criticism than she used to in early days, Along with working hard for every pokemon and achievement she had with no shortcuts involved.

Iris didn't revealed especially big change in her behavior staying for most part same from start to end of Unova. Coming of as wild, hyperactive, snarky and instinctive. Something she was in reality from start, barring becoming more comfortable with Ash out of box thinking and more selfcritic realizing her own flaws.

Further more while Iris did received more fleshing out and exploration of her dragon master goal, whole development arc was inconsistent. Dissipated all over the place and poorly designed. First writers introduced Axev as main vector behind Iris even going on journey in first place, just to see it dropped defeating whole point behind character existence in middle of road . With supposed story of trainer and small dragon working on improving themselves and developing close bond full of understanding. Which would lead toward Axew fulfillment of dream evolving in powerful Haxorous and serve as proof to Iris coming closer toward dragon master status going nowhere.

Than we get to see Iris story and dreams barely receiving build up or focus until Meloetta arc , just to follow rushed and well pretty cheap way to suiddenly boost her pokemon team and trainer competence through capture of Dragonite. Which while ill admit later lead toward more concreete and meaningful arc in bond between dragon and its trainer eventually being established.

Still came of as forced and poorly designed storyline, mainly because there was no build up or foreshadowing toward Dragonite capture whatsoever. I had no problens with Iris getting fully evolved dragon, since it brought new perspective to character story in having to deal with with disobedient and enraged fully evolved dragon needing to break barriers which existed between them coming to understand and respect each other.
    Something which is alot harder to do than its case with baby dragons putting to test Iris talent and ability to understand dragon hearts, allowing to learn more that way.

But i had issue in how factors which contributed toward whole arc were never met. With Iris strength as dragon trainer and expert , amount of training and hard work not reaching predispositions to warrant inclusion of pokemon with such calliber . Considering how there was no foreplay, any story leading toward capture.

Or Iris trainer abilities suddenly jumping 180% over night in Axew which was basically infant with little to no battling, growth and training starting to learn powerful moves out of nowhere such as giga impact managing to affect pokemon of champion level.

I liked Iris. She was unique, funny and interesting character but i also feel her development could have been executed in more consistent and productive way.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 18th September 2014 at 11:07 AM.