Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon - The Johto League (03,04,05)

Hybrid View

Default Pokémon - The Johto League (03,04,05)

The Johto League!

After losing to Gary Oak, Ash decides to head to Johto, the place where trainers are tougher, in order to beat him once and for all. Joined by his friends Misty & Brock he goes in search of new adventure and brand new Pokémon. When he gets his partners Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Totodile and Noctowl he goes and beats the 8 gyms of Johto whilst entering in multiple town fairs and contests. Ash then gets to the Johto League Silver Conference and battles his hardest. He beats Gary in a tough 6 on 6 battle but loses to a guy from Hoenn, Harrison and his Blaziken. Finishing in the Top 8, he then splits from Misty, who needs to take over the Cerulean Gym, and Brock, who has to go on an errand. He gets new incentive to battle harder as he sees Ho-oh fly to Hoenn so he leaves all his Pokémon except Pikachu at Professor Oaks and heads to Hoenn alone for a new adventure!

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Altair Guest

Well, I thought it was terrible how he left all his pokemon behind. They were great.
    I am glad that he kept Pikachu at least.
    Last edited by Altair; 22nd February 2006 at 10:40 PM.

Johto was doing something right. Developed pokemon, exciting battles, resolution of the Gary rivalry, commitment to games, a good league... and a lot of potential wasted through lack of evolutions, overload of filler, and dull characters. Shame really, since Cyndaquil, Noctowl and Heracross have so much potential.
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage
    Johto was doing something right. Developed pokemon, exciting battles, resolution of the Gary rivalry, commitment to games, a good league... and a lot of potential wasted through lack of evolutions, overload of filler, and dull characters. Shame really, since Cyndaquil, Noctowl and Heracross have so much potential.
    The overload of filler was fairly inevitable, since we're dealing with an arc that's longer than Indigo and Orange combined, yet doesn't really have any more story content. Even if they'd made every Gym Battle a 2 or 3-parter and doubled the length of the Johto League itself, there'd still be a ton of filler.

I personally loved this region. I actually haven't even seen the later half of the Johto League Champions.
    To me, this season was like NeoKanto and done just right, though not nearly as much "classic" episodes as there was in Kanto/Orange Islands. Some episodes that are in memory (not including Clair, Morty, Whitney and other gymleader and favorite character episodes, hence not making it biased)
    The Wayward Wobbufet: the title speaks for itself
    For Cryin' Out Loud: lots of character developement for Misty
    Beauty and the Breeder: Brock and Suzie reunite (nuff said)
    Hassle in the Castle: come on, how often do our heros end up in a secretpassage way in a medieval castle
    Air Time: nuff said
    That episode where that mecha Arbok went cukoo. I still remember it.
    If I went saying all the episodes that I thought made this season special, I'd get in trouble..... but seriously, I think this region earned it's golden 2nd place in the region faceoff.

Johto Journeys was good, Johto League Champions was filler-ific, and Master Quest had its ups and downs. Not enough captures.
    Join the Probopass cult now, and receive a year's supply of chocolate-scented toothpicks!

This region started out fantastic plummeted then has one of the best parts of the series. Originally the region was great with a strong team and funny episodes. Suddenly around the time Johto Champions started, there were fillers galore. Luckily, the Johto league had some of the best battles in the show and finally resolved Ash's rivalry.

The end of Johto was really good, mainly from the Claire episodes, through the Larvitar arc and the Johto league.

But that was when the writers finally got their acts in gear, and they were preparing for AG at the time, so they finally got up off their asses and started writing good episodes again.

Geki Guest

I officially hated this whole saga. The battles were nice, but I didn't like the captures and endless amounts of fillers. The Johto League and the Gym Battles were the only good things in this saga.

Jouto had way too much filler for its own good. Aside from that, Kasumi and Takeshi's characters beccame pointless.

There needed to be more story then what they had.

Shigeru should have showed up more often, too. And if they had Hiroshi appearances, and introduced Hazuki earlier, the arc would have flown better.

This season was... well blah. It wasn't really that good, but at least at the end it started to become decent...

Worthwhile things in the 3 years this show was on.

1 Some Gym Battles
    2 The Johto League Championship
    3 The Theme Song for JLC
    4 Charizard's actually getting character development
    5 Whirl Islands
    6 Gotta Catch you Later

I'd list what was not good, but I don't have the time, so I will just say the big one.
    Johto League Champions. Can't name one good thing that happened in that season.

This has got to be the lowest and most boring period in the anime. The only worthwhile things here are some of the Gym Battles, the movies and non-filler episodes, plus the openings and endings - OK!, Mezase Pokemon Master 2001, and Ready Go!. It became at least decent somewhere around the Silver Conference.

Everything else was just overrun with uninteresting fillers and whatnot. Pure and utter crap.
    Last edited by Satoshi; 9th March 2006 at 11:42 PM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Jotho was OK but only the Jotho Journeys season. Most of it was completely useless because of several reasons:
    1) Team Rocket and their predicitable schemes
    2) Wobuffet
    3) Useless minor characters

Of course, I'm not saying that all post -JJ episodes are lame. There are some fav eps of mine such as:
    1) One Trick Phoney
    2) Tie One On
    3) A Hot Water Battle

Default Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................ ......

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    This has got to be the lowest and most boring period in the anime. The only worthwhile things here are some of the Gym Battles, the movies and non-filler episodes, plus the openings and endings - OK!, Mezase Pokemon Master 2001, and Ready Go!. It became at least decent somewhere around the Silver Conference.

Everything else was just overrun with uninteresting fillers and whatnot. Pure and utter crap.
    .........................Oh,sorry,must have fallen asleep.Here is a list of all the things that had gone wrong with the Johto episodes

1:Ther is only one interisting episodes out of each 15 episodes.
    2:Team Rocket was funny during the Kanto episodes,but they were either annoying or boring during the Jotho episodes.
    3:A good battle only happened once in every 10 episodes,But even then the boring battles in Kanto/Howen/Sinnoh were a lot more entertaning than the best in Jotho
    4:Fillers.enough said.
    5:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............................. ..........

.............sorry.Anyways,the Jotho arc was the worse season Ever and I hope to god that a pokemon arc is that boring AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................ ......

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post

.........................Oh,sorry,must have fallen asleep.Here is a list of all the things that had gone wrong with the Johto episodes

1:Ther is only one interisting episodes out of each 15 episodes.
    2:Team Rocket was funny during the Kanto episodes,but they were either annoying or boring during the Jotho episodes.
    3:A good battle only happened once in every 10 episodes,But even then the boring battles in Kanto/Howen/Sinnoh were a lot more entertaning than the best in Jotho
    4:Fillers.enough said.
    5:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............................. ..........

.............sorry.Anyways,the Jotho arc was the worse season Ever and I hope to god that a pokemon arc is not that boring AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite season was 4 because thats whaen I started watching Pokemon.

We can agree that season 3, 'The Johto Journeys' was the crummiest one in the series.
    Otherwise, I find that the shows that are repeatable are the really good fillers. Like 'One Trick Phoney' or 'Espeon, Not Included'.
    Honk if you prefer the Japanese version to the English dub!

I liked the Jhoto saga, I personally think its hilerious at times and had some good animated moments. Plus I liked how great of Pokemon battler he has become. And I also liked the moments when Team Rocket and Ash would work together, good times, good time, they need to do that with AG some more or D/P now that where coming to it.

I didn't like this era much at all. Way too much useless filler, Misty/Brock became useless, so much character potential was wasted, too little captures, same old dry Team Rocket routine, generic/boring filler characters, and just an overall anemic-feeling saga that couldn't draw me in any other time than most of Johto Journeys, the gym battles, non-filler episodes and the conclusion.

This season gets a 5/10, and 2 points come from pity.

Ugobama is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you ask me Johtoh was too drawn out. I think it had somewhere over 150 eps. Too many filler eps also.

Lol Yeah, that's the part I hated most. There were 3 Johto seasons, with about 170 eps in all. Out of that 170, it seemed like 160 were filler eps.

Possibly the most underrated saga by fandom focusing only on couple of bad things not recognizing good ones.

Johto had many good things done right.
    -Ash travelling companions(Brock and Misty) got more screntime or battling they they had in Kanto getting some good development.
    - gym battles and battling in general was great for most part becoming more detailed and deep compared to previous regions.
    -interaction and chemistry between main group was on its height feeling like groupo of friends which know each other for a long time.Ash got some good progression as character and trainer showing signs of maturity not rushing so much with "head through the wall"like he used to using strategy in battles.
    And Misty with help of her friends starting to mature as character leaning how to be patient keeping her explosive rage more under control which in return allow that other parts of her personality like sarcasm,kindness,competitive fire to prove herself and so on come out more on surface.
    -Johto was first saga which started to experment with mini side quests having some great arcs like Red Gyarados,baby Lugia,Whirl Cup etc accompanied with some amasing gems of episodes which may have been fillers but good nontheless.
    -There is also pokemon league at end of Johto which was one of highlights of this region definitely.

Cons of this region were:
    -GS ball being dropped
    -Ash hardly having any real rivals,aswell his Johto team not living to my expectations due to lack of evolutions and not getting enough development
    -Ash travelling companions not receiving more screentime
    -character departure without proper sendoff or closure(mainly Misty).
    -big amount of fillers(which isnt a bad thing in itself since fillers can be great episodes,but it seems for some people only plot related episodes are those which counts).

I love johto.some of fillers were good and i loved some of the gym leaders(especially claire and jasmine) plus they used references from the games in this saga the most too.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemaster 13 View Post
    I love johto.some of fillers were good and i loved some of the gym leaders(especially claire and jasmine) plus they used references from the games in this saga the most too.
    Johto did have some good fillers, it's just people tend to think of the more common bad fillers when people bring up Johto.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast