Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon - The Johto League (03,04,05)

Default Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................ ......

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    This has got to be the lowest and most boring period in the anime. The only worthwhile things here are some of the Gym Battles, the movies and non-filler episodes, plus the openings and endings - OK!, Mezase Pokemon Master 2001, and Ready Go!. It became at least decent somewhere around the Silver Conference.

Everything else was just overrun with uninteresting fillers and whatnot. Pure and utter crap.
    .........................Oh,sorry,must have fallen asleep.Here is a list of all the things that had gone wrong with the Johto episodes

1:Ther is only one interisting episodes out of each 15 episodes.
    2:Team Rocket was funny during the Kanto episodes,but they were either annoying or boring during the Jotho episodes.
    3:A good battle only happened once in every 10 episodes,But even then the boring battles in Kanto/Howen/Sinnoh were a lot more entertaning than the best in Jotho
    4:Fillers.enough said.
    5:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............................. ..........

.............sorry.Anyways,the Jotho arc was the worse season Ever and I hope to god that a pokemon arc is that boring AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................ ......

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    This has got to be the lowest and most boring period in the anime. The only worthwhile things here are some of the Gym Battles, the movies and non-filler episodes, plus the openings and endings - OK!, Mezase Pokemon Master 2001, and Ready Go!. It became at least decent somewhere around the Silver Conference.

Everything else was just overrun with uninteresting fillers and whatnot. Pure and utter crap.
    .........................Oh,sorry,must have fallen asleep.Here is a list of all the things that had gone wrong with the Johto episodes

1:Ther is only one interisting episodes out of each 15 episodes.
    2:Team Rocket was funny during the Kanto episodes,but they were either annoying or boring during the Jotho episodes.
    3:A good battle only happened once in every 10 episodes,But even then the boring battles in Kanto/Howen/Sinnoh were a lot more entertaning than the best in Jotho
    4:Fillers.enough said.
    5:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............................. ..........

.............sorry.Anyways,the Jotho arc was the worse season Ever and I hope to god that a pokemon arc is not that boring AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah i did enjoy this season alright but i did stop watching for awhile and missed alot of the later episodes and still haven't seen them. Have them on dvd though lol

I thing that annoyed me was the whole seaking thing they should have explained what happened to them

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

Johto had some of the best fillers ever and I enjoyed watching Ash, Misty and Brock maturing even more. Amazing Gym Battles were another thing I enjoyed.

Thanks to Tekirai for the greatest banner ever!

PM me with any help you need regarding #SPP-WiFi or with getting your signature checked

[14:32] <metallica> i acted like a foolish

*** katya (CHEAT@NOW.YOU.CAN.SEE.A.NICE.ICE.KEY.WHICH.YOU.CA N.HAVE.FOR.FREE) has quit IRC (Quit: (3:56:28 pm) <rittre_gilr> oh mah gah!!!! guess what i juss foun out!!!!! |B selebii-fatrazychan dada mallied a MURE!!!! an ugry mure can you berieve dat??? so dats why he got holse teef!!!! CHING CHING CONG BALONG)

the johto saga has pretty much the best gym battles out there,but it just had to much filler eps

Diamond FC: 0689 1233 2218

Hm, I didn't really liked this saga. There were too many boring fillers and most of the one time characters didn't even had a personallity! But episodes with legendary Pokemon and some of fillers were interesting to watch...

Like some of the other sagas of the Pokemon anime, it started off great, but then after Ecruteak, the Filler storm came which continued to about Olivine and then stopped, but restarted in some places after that point. New Pokemon debuts also got rare as the series went on; probably because there were only 100 new Pokemon. Overall, not much action, not much character development. I didn't enjoy it very much. The League was bland as well, with Ash losing as usual. A rating of 5/10
    Last edited by Lorde; 6th November 2010 at 9:08 PM.

Great saga. the Johto arc was really great.

I didn't love all the fillers but what I really liked it that Ash actually defeated Gary.

7/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

Full of bad filler, too little focus on new mons, Brock and Misty fading into the background, a horribly bad fight vs Gary(Mah Pokes can take 10 hits but Gary's can't take one lulz), the Johto captures being destroyed in the league(Noctowl espescially- it only got one fight and lost it) while the old guys got to shine AGAIN.

Easily the worst saga of the series. Though I did like Harrison's Blaziken beatin Charizard.

4/10.

I like this region a lot.

The problem, that a lot of people are commenting on are:

1. Too many fillers. Season 3 had fillers, but I can recall a few memorable ones, such as Charizard being left at the charicific valley, and shingo who was taught that simply calculating a pokemon battle on the computer is simply not enough. rest of the seasons fillers became more and more predictable and too numerous..

2. unresolved plot points: Yes, the GS Ball can go here. Why they made a big deal of it being the reason of Ash going to the OI, and then going to Johto, then completely abandoning it to Kurt is beyond me. Sure they answered it in the Pokebeach interview, but that was 6-7 years after the fact..

3. Next to none character development: Brock was still a hopeless johnny bravo chasing girls, JJM were still stalking ash, hoping to finally capture pikachu...

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

It is crazy to say that all of Johto fillers were the worst because that isn't true at all,Team Rocket was the best in those Johto episodes and they were more enertaning in the Johto series,then Hoenn and Sinnoh series were they were bland boring as hell,Misty and Brock were still their good old classic self but they just mature a whole lot more in Johto.

The Johto starters did shine well in the Johto league and Johto had a lot of memorable fillers that beats Hoenn and Sinnoh's fillers anyday,Johto didn't need a lot of evolutions since the Johto pokemon were well strong and handled well,Johto was never consider to be the worst series ever and this is non sense that some of the fans say which isn't are never was true to begin with.

Johto was the best arc of the Pokemon series,the show would have been much better if it had ended in Johto then to keep on going until it became bland and boring,during the AG and DP series which both not consider to be the best of the Pokemon anime.

10/10
    Last edited by might; 18th November 2010 at 2:28 AM.

Possibly the most underrated saga by fandom focusing only on couple of bad things not recognizing good ones.

Johto had many good things done right.
    -Ash travelling companions(Brock and Misty) got more screntime or battling they they had in Kanto getting some good development.
    - gym battles and battling in general was great for most part becoming more detailed and deep compared to previous regions.
    -interaction and chemistry between main group was on its height feeling like groupo of friends which know each other for a long time.Ash got some good progression as character and trainer showing signs of maturity not rushing so much with "head through the wall"like he used to using strategy in battles.
    And Misty with help of her friends starting to mature as character leaning how to be patient keeping her explosive rage more under control which in return allow that other parts of her personality like sarcasm,kindness,competitive fire to prove herself and so on come out more on surface.
    -Johto was first saga which started to experment with mini side quests having some great arcs like Red Gyarados,baby Lugia,Whirl Cup etc accompanied with some amasing gems of episodes which may have been fillers but good nontheless.
    -There is also pokemon league at end of Johto which was one of highlights of this region definitely.

Cons of this region were:
    -GS ball being dropped
    -Ash hardly having any real rivals,aswell his Johto team not living to my expectations due to lack of evolutions and not getting enough development
    -Ash travelling companions not receiving more screentime
    -character departure without proper sendoff or closure(mainly Misty).
    -big amount of fillers(which isnt a bad thing in itself since fillers can be great episodes,but it seems for some people only plot related episodes are those which counts).

The Johto seasons were great! Many of my favorite all-time Pokemon were featured many times in these episodes. Most of the gym battles were great, a few were just ok... However, there were way too many fillers IMO during this season. The theme songs, especially the 3rd season Theme were awesome! I really didn't like the lack of evolutions however... especially for Ash's main Pokemon.

70/100

The Jotho episodes were my favourites. Mainly season 5 (Master Quest). Both main episodes and fillers were either funny, beautiful or exciting. However, it is a pity ash left all his Pokemon at Professor oaks lab.

He should've at least taken Bayleef with him, Bayleef is really into Ash, and doesn't seem to like Professor Oak (that was shown in the Whirl Cup episodes).

I am watching Jotho episodes right now (at this moment: Better Eight than Never, Ash' gym battle with Clair), they bring back awesome youth memories.

I don't care what anyone says. This was my favorite saga in the anime. I liked Ash's pokemon and their personalities. And I liked the episodes in season 4. I don't care if there were too many fillers. I liked the fillers.

I don't care either. The word filler means nothing to me and every episode is watchable in all the sagas.

The worst saga in the entirety of the anime. All three of the protagonists overstayed their welcome here including Brock who should've never came back. The Gold & Silver protagonist should've been the main character (Jimmy I suppose) with a new cast with the rial actually appearing and being a rival. Hopefully, Marina would've been included as well or made a cameo. There weren't enough evolutions though I'm not too bothered by that since most of the new Pokémon had some personality. The Gym Leaders were cool. The writers now how not to mess them up most of the time.

The one shining light was the BGM. The Japanese version had some amazing music and the dub openings weren't terrible. They were okay and catchy.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I liked Johto because of the cute Pokemon. I loved Johto and BW Pokemon. I didn't like that alot of the fillers were based off Kanto Pokemon. I didn't like that only Ash caught his whole team with Jotho pokemon and the others didn't. I didn't like that Misty and Brock did nothing for gaps at a time. Except for the Whirl Islands. I personally thought that she should have did another competiton after Jhto instead of going back home waiting for her life to rot away. Plus, I didn't like how Ash's starters were handled. But other than that it was fun to watch certain episodes.

My ideal battle ever!

I actually liked most of this saga when it originally aired here many years ago. My first Pokemon game was Gold, so I always looked forward to seeing how/if various parts of the game would be implemented in the anime, which is something I couldn't do with Kanto because I didn't play Gen I until after Kanto had ended. There were times during the Johto saga where I felt that there were too many episodes between Gyms, but it didn't bother me so much as the fillers introduced me to new Pokemon and I didn't find them that boring at the time.

But now when I look at a list of Johto episodes, I realize that there were way more fillers and boring episodes than I thought. Plus, I don't think Misty and Brock did that much during this saga...If I had been older at the time this saga was airing, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much as I did. I guess I was just more easily entertained as a child. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    But now when I look at a list of Johto episodes, I realize that there were way more fillers and boring episodes than I thought. Plus, I don't think Misty and Brock did that much during this saga...If I had been older at the time this saga was airing, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much as I did. I guess I was just more easily entertained as a child. :/
    From what i noticed Misty and Brock actually got more focus in Johto compared to Kanto, but due to length of saga with there being good chunk of episodes where they sadly didnt do anything you could get impression how that wasnt the case. For example Misty battled more compared to Kanto and OI, started to do more with goal of becoming water master by entering Whirl Cup, Seaking catching contest, battled gym leader Dorian, revealed why she likes water pokemon so much in episodes like "Some like it Hot", formed rivalry bonding with several characters like Sakura or Egan,helped save group couple of times like she get them out of forest in Hoot,Hoot episode or helped to save Pikachu and Togepi from giant TR tank got over her complex of inferiority which was caused by sisters starting to mature as character etc,etc.Not to mention she also added humor and fun chemistry within group having several notable interactions with many characters in that saga .

Brock also had several funny and good moments there. He started to do steps forward in his breeder career receiving some development through various episodes,like when he took care of lost Stantler, entered contest for pokemon breeders along with Suzy in "Beauty and the Breeder" along with his obsessiveness over girls being explored more beside just staying on running gag in some episodes like it was case with girl Temaku from "Heartbreak of Brock"or with that doctor which had Zubat in "Hassle in the Castle". He also got two evolutions(Pineco and Zubat), having memorable achievements there.

Now that I look back, the fillers were really my big issues with this saga. I mean the Kanto Pokemon fillers, not the Johto ones. They didn't have Brock do anything and had Misty do her little thing which was good. But why they decided to give her something so later when they were going to kick her off was my issue. The Pokemon was fine. I loved the gym leaders. There were some memorable battles like the "Wire battle" episode, the events like the Bug catching contest and the trading convention and some memorable characters like Lance, Casey and Sakura. So all in all, it wasn't that bad.

My ideal battle ever!

I didn't mind this saga, I enjoyed seeing Johto, all the new Pokémon, and even the gym leaders. I remember 4KIDS advertising this as something freakin' awesome and a must-see (the commercial preview on Pokémon 2000 still gets me excited after all these years). It didn't really disappoint me, especially since Brock returned to his rightful place, but I do remember getting frustrated with the number of episodes between gym battles. Clair's battle didn't happen until Mast Quest, and I think she was the only gym battle in that season. That was pretty bad, almost got me to stop watching the show. And I remember the whole "trilogy" that dealt with Articuno and the return of Todd--I mean Snap. It was hyped up to be great, but it wasn't very pleasing. The baby Lugia trilogy was handled better.

Other than that and the filler episodes (the Whirl Island Cup wasn't needed, honestly), this was a neat saga. I'm especially pleased that in the middle of the first Johto season (I believe), they started coloring digitally, so the art looked a lot cleaner. I do wish they went ahead to go with the GS Ball plot-point, that had to be the biggest disappointment in the saga.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I didn't mind this saga, I enjoyed seeing Johto, all the new Pokémon, and even the gym leaders. I remember 4KIDS advertising this as something freakin' awesome and a must-see (the commercial preview on Pokémon 2000 still gets me excited after all these years). It didn't really disappoint me, especially since Brock returned to his rightful place, but I do remember getting frustrated with the number of episodes between gym battles. Clair's battle didn't happen until Mast Quest, and I think she was the only gym battle in that season. That was pretty bad, almost got me to stop watching the show. And I remember the whole "trilogy" that dealt with Articuno and the return of Todd--I mean Snap. It was hyped up to be great, but it wasn't very pleasing. The baby Lugia trilogy was handled better.

Other than that and the filler episodes (the Whirl Island Cup wasn't needed, honestly), this was a neat saga. I'm especially pleased that in the middle of the first Johto season (I believe), they started coloring digitally, so the art looked a lot cleaner. I do wish they went ahead to go with the GS Ball plot-point, that had to be the biggest disappointment in the saga.
    Ash fought the 7th gym leader Pryce and the 6th gym leader Jasmine in Master Quest.

Johto was a really great saga with great fillers aswell as great events, i do feel the Whirl Cup battles were perfectly great, other then that i do wish they had have done a little bit more with the GS Ball plot, which was the only thing i did hated about in this saga.

Whirl Cup Island arc wasn't filler. It was focused on Misty goal of becoming water pokemon master getting some great development there and finally starting to take more notable steps forward in her carer. This was time when she also caught Corsola adding diversity to her team and starting to improve her skills, and we got plot with Lugia and TR organization there as well.

Whirl Islands arc was one of Johto highlights if you ask me serving like nice change of pace from usual fillers and Ash gym quest acting like some sot of mini saga included in something larger. It was also nice to see other protagonists(not named Ash)getting some chance to shine for a change too.

But to each their own i guess.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast