Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pokémon - The Johto League (03,04,05)

Master Quest was the only really decent part of Johto. You can tell the writers at least acknowledged how dull the first two Johto seasons were and decided to focused more on mini arcs again. Also bringing back Ash's Kanto starters helped.

I can't help but look back at Johto now 10 year later and think about how different it could have been. But as they say, "what is done, is done." It's been 10 years since the end of this arc, everyones thoughts on it have already been cemented.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Master Quest was the only really decent part of Johto. You can tell the writers at least acknowledged how dull the first two Johto seasons were and decided to focused more on mini arcs again. Also bringing back Ash's Kanto starters helped.
    Master Quest was actually great as season. Misty received some great screen time and development there, we got several great arcs(such as Whirl Cup, Red Gyarados, Lugia, Larvitar etc). THere were interesting mini arcs with gym leadrs such as Clair and DRagon temple revolving around Dragon tooth and sacred fire.

Johto Silver Coneference was fntastic too concluding AShxGary rivalry and departure between original cast was one of most emotional and beautifly done momnts we had in pokemon.

AS for rest of Johto while i wont deny how there were quite a few dull episodes, there were also several really enjoyable ones recommending to everyone to watch them. Such as "Fortune Hunters", "Hook, Line and Stinker", "Beauty and the Breeder", "Sick Daze", "Ring Masters"etc(list continues).

Johto had some reall good things about it.

I can't help but look back at Johto now 10 year later and think about how different it could have been. But as they say, "what is done, is done." It's been 10 years since the end of this arc, everyones thoughts on it have already been cemented.
    Im not sure why you speak in everyone name, because there are many fans which liked Johto.

If Johto was really that detrimental original series wouldnt be so popular with majority being able to overlook negative things liking this era of pokemon because of its good things. And there were many of them with Ash,Misty and BRock being to this day most popular and iconic group.Demand for reunion speaks for itself.

Not to mention it was with original trio when pokemon was at its peak of popularity.
    Yes you can argue how ratings started to decline in mid Johto but that was on large part because fad started to die out. Nothing can last forever so it was to expect that people will eventually grew up and move to other things.Poor writing and too many fillers didnt helped things either.

Decline in ratings would have happened in Hoenn or DP too if that was period when initial hype and fad started to diminish.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Master Quest was actually great as season. Misty received some great screen time and development there, we got several great arcs(such as Whirl Cup, Red Gyarados, Lugia, Larvitar etc). THere were interesting mini arcs with gym leadrs such as Clair and DRagon temple revolving around Dragon tooth and sacred fire.

Johto Silver Coneference was fntastic too concluding AShxGary rivalry and departure between original cast was one of most emotional and beautifly done momnts we had in pokemon.

AS for rest of Johto while i wont deny how there were quite a few dull episodes, there were also several really enjoyable ones recommending to everyone to watch them. Such as "Fortune Hunters", "Hook, Line and Stinker", "Beauty and the Breeder", "Sick Daze", "Ring Masters"etc(list continues).

Johto had some reall good things about it.

Im not sure why you speak in everyone name, because there are many fans which liked Johto.

If Johto was really that detrimental original series wouldnt be so popular with majority being able to overlook negative things liking this era of pokemon because of its good things. And there were many of them with Ash,Misty and BRock being to this day most popular and iconic group.Demand for reunion speaks for itself.

Not to mention it was with original trio when pokemon was at its peak of popularity.
    Yes you can argue how ratings started to decline in mid Johto but that was on large part because fad started to die out. Nothing can last forever so it was to expect that people will eventually grew up and move to other things.Poor writing and too many fillers didnt helped things either.

Decline in ratings would have happened in Hoenn or DP too if that was period when initial hype and fad started to diminish.
    I don't know why you look at ratings to judge the quality of a series. That's not smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I don't know why you look at ratings to judge the quality of a series. That's not smart.
    You misunderstood. I used ratings to point out how reason why interest among viewers dropped in mid Johto wasn't because of original trio being used as some like to think but because of several factors with initial hype and fad pokemon used to have not being expected to last forever.

When it comes to me i could care less how big ratings are for specific region because i evaluate how enjoyable certain saga is by quality of episodes themselves, how good interaction between characters is and how much development it contains.

I never pay attention to other opinions forming my own view about series or characters and personally i can say i liked more about Johto than disliked. It had many fun episodes, original trio still felt like friends sharing close bond with Misty getting some important growth and all those mini arcs, battles etc were in most cases of high quality.
    Johto has many hidden gems about it not recommending anyone to skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    You misunderstood. I used ratings to point out how reason why interest among viewers dropped in mid Johto wasn't because of original trio being used as some like to think but because of several factors with initial hype and fad pokemon used to have not being expected to last forever.

When it comes to me i could care less how big ratings are for specific region because i evaluate how enjoyable certain saga is by quality of episodes themselves, how good interaction between characters is and how much development it contains.

I never pay attention to other opinions forming my own view about series or characters and personally i can say i liked more about Johto than disliked. It had many fun episodes, original trio still felt like friends sharing close bond with Misty getting some important growth and all those mini arcs, battles etc were in most cases of high quality.
    Johto has many hidden gems about it not recommending anyone to skip it.
    I certainly agree with you on that. And yeah like you said, the ratings going down in Johto and onward had to do with the Pokemon fad dying out a little bit. Pokemon was clearly at its peak in Kanto but I feel that the anime did make a lot of improvements as it moved forward.

Definitely the worst series of pokemon yet. Too many fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Speak for yourself Cybercubed. I LOVED the Johto saga, it's only behind Kanto and Hoenn as my favorite arc. A lot of my friends stopped watching when Misty left and they regard the OS as the "true" pokemon. (flawed vision of things but that's what it is)

Why you put your word as the ultimate truth lol.

If I'd rank the Johto seasons it would be:

Johto Journeys >>> Master Quest >>> Johto League Champions.

Too many filler episodes, terrible Johto team development, and Ash's Kanto team hogged all the spotlight.

I really didn't like this region until the league, that's how bad it is to me. :/

Apart from the countless fillers I liked Johto. I think Master Quest was the best one, though I did love the overall beginning of Johto.

The chosen ones

johto part of the og series and my childhood.....good times good times.
    the only downside was at the end of the series ash began neglecting his pokemon(more than usual) i mean come on the main reason muk didnt get a win in the league was because it wasnt trained and of course gary was and always will be the superior trainer. oh and poor kingler became a living prop.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

I really enjoyed the first season in Kanto. When Orange Islands began I was less psyched for the show, but still had a good time. Then Johto started...

I LOVED IT! Johto, for me, might even be better than Kanto! Though it took ages to get from gym to gym, this was not a problem to me. The longer it took for Ash to reach the final league, the more time I got to spend with characters I loved, on crazy and fun adventures along the way. There was still so much heart and character in this series and it ended on such a strong note! The final goodbye at the end tore me up and it was soooo sad to see Ash abandon as his Pokemon, but most of all it was difficult to continue watching after Johto.

Johto was a bright, fun, exciting series. Yea, I think it's my favorite so far. And Johto Journeys has the BEST theme song yet!
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

The Johto saga was the anime's absolute worst arc. Even as a kid I was shocked at how bad it was. The original trio completely bombed as a group and Misty became such a stale, flat and poorly handled character.

Of course the worst part of Johto was the fillers. Too many if them and too many were bad. Ash's Johto pokemon were awful and his worst lineup in the series and his Kanto starters were dropped. The GS ball being dropped didn't help matters either.

While there were some funny episodes and the league was good, everything else was mediocre to poor. It's a shame the OS ended on such a poor saga. At least the writers acknowledged it and improved the show afterward.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123