Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon - The Hoenn League (06,07,08)

Default Pokémon - The Hoenn League (06,07,08)

The Hoenn League!

On his way to Hoenn, Pikachu becomes ill, which causes Ash to meet up with May, a new Pokémon Trainer who eventually decided to partake in Pokémon Contests. Soon joined by May's Brother, Max & a return from Brock, Ash & May travel around Hoenn in the hope of winning the 8 Badges & 5 Ribbons required to enter the Hoenn League & Grand Festival. May, with her partners of Combusken, Skitty, Beautifly, Bulbasaur & Munchlax, faces her first set of trials with multiple Pokémon contests and the Grand Festival eventually coming in the Top 8 of the Grand Festival. Ash, With his new Partners of Grovyle, Swellow, Torkoal, Corphish & Glalie, Ash faces one of the greatest challenges with his Gym Battles and his 4th Pokémon League Tournement, eventually coming in the top 8.

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Fandiddlydoodlyastic saga. Evolutions finally accepted into the series, new characters and contests, well-handled gym leaders and minor characters, amazing pokemon with great development, the breakdown of nearly every formula in the series and so much more. Too bad the league, GF, Togepi episodes, Aqua/Magma saga and whatnot were so rushed, wasting their potential.

But still, the best complete saga yet.
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

Awesome, until it petered out during the Hoenn League. Ash's captures came out of nowhere, and were unique and suprising. Every formula was shattered. I could care less about Magma and Aqua. May is an interesting addition to the cast. Though her Pokemon are somewhat boring (until Torchic evolves), the way they are used makes it entertaining. Though she can be dull at times. I was pleased that Brock returned.
    Join the Probopass cult now, and receive a year's supply of chocolate-scented toothpicks!

Geki Guest

THE BEST EVER SAGA!!!! I loved this saga so damn much.. Live long Hoenn!!!

Good (not great, I hate how overrated this thing is) at the begining, but blew hard at the end, since the Kyoge Groudon saga, this just was not worth it.

With the Hoenn League drawing to a close, I guess it's an appropriate time for me to offer my feelings on the saga as a whole.

Sadly, I'm rather glum about it overall.

It started when Misty left at the end of Johto. I'm sure you Anti-Pokéshippers out there will stop at that line and scream "YOU JUST HATE HOENN BECAUSE MISTY WASN'T IN IT! GET OVER IT!!!"

But don't, becuase I'm going to offer what are hopefully at least semi-rational arguments to my point.

With Misty gone, Ash's character became warped and twisted. Now he seems to bounce between being a brilliant, champion-caliber trainer and the goofy, oblivious kid he used to be. Witness the episode "A Vanity Affair" for one. That whole episode had him in full swagger, being the braggart of early Kanto. The mistakes he made battling Drake were so painful--anyone with as much training as Ash would've never went with Grovyle against Altaria even with the tactic of using the sails. Yet when battling both Tate & Liza and Juan, he was grounded and thinking his tactics through. This constant warping is why Misty was so important---besides being an excellent foil for him, she was the one who kept him two feet on the ground. As soon as she was gone, he instantly grew up so to speak--then the bouncing back and fourth began. It's almost like he's two characters now.

May....May, May, May. I want to like her, I really do. But as soon as she came aboard, she simply proved to be the female version of early Kanto Ash. Her character really does nothing for me, sorry.

Max, however, is a decent addition--but only with May there as well. They're great foils for each other (witness Jirachi Wish Maker) but their interaction is rather two-dimensional (bossy older sister, super-smart kid, et al.)

Unfortunately, these changes have also forced Brock back to the simple, useless role of Jenny/Joy stalker and little more. The only significant thing I can remember him really doing in all Hoenn was ID'ing Brody twice.

And the episodes themselves. Oh dear, the episodes. Hoenn had so much potential but it was squandered. The Kyogre/Groudon battle, the mini-arcs involving various competitors along the way (save for Morrison) and the Hoenn League and Grand Festival themselves--all wasted opportunity. Not to mention the possibility of a Rayquaza arc squandered. The League and Grand Festival were tired old exercises left over from Kanto---main character makes it quite far in, then loses---except we must have it TWICE now---and neither one was much good anyway.

In all, I'm sadly going to have to be the one who flunks Hoenn on many counts.......at least the pair of Hoenn movies, the aforementioned Wish Maker and Destiny Deoxys, were very good.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

It was pretty good.. But, after Combusken evolved, this saga fell into a pit almost as big as the wreck Johto even though Gym 8 and the Hoenn League were alright. Not to mention the introduction of awful contests. Luckily the Battle Frontier makes up for this.
    Last edited by Kabuto; 30th March 2006 at 1:49 AM.

The Hoenn saga started out as being lame with May being a novice in Pokemon and Max being too bratty but eventually it got better especially with the debut of Corphish.

I watched a episode today and Seviper sounds gay,thats what me and my older sister sayed anyway.
    Sharpedo and Sektor are my bishies! Touch them and you will receive a bite on the neck and a rocket up your bum!

Dream Team!
    Credit to Bulbgarden and MK Wiki

Bah I still haven't seen that one episode of Team Magama captering Ash in AG And that's the one I really wanted to see <_<
    Well lets see;

Animation: Very good, its seriously gotten better.

Story Wise: Very good, though they could drop the contests.

Characters;

Ash: Very mature now, one of the best Pokemon battlers. Is also able to many stunts =/
    Has a very cool/new/mature/cute look now.

May: Lets see, I used to like her a lot but than the May fan boys overated her and got in my face and braged about her and said she's better than most characters on here. Now I can't stand her will see what happens with her in the next saga, kind of hope she leaves but she probaly most likely won't to do many reasons that I don't feel like naming.

Max: Awe yes the annoying pain in the butt kid, he's kind of grown on me a bit but if he left I could care less. No Pokemon=Boring.

Brock: No character development latley sadly, miss the old Kanto Brock but meh. Its nice to have a cook around I guess but for me I could take him or leave him like Max.

So over all I didn't really mind it.

Kinda agree with dannyphantom about may. I actually thought it started very well and was so until about the 6th gym where i lost interest, completely. To me it got repetitive and annoying. I'll probably like battle frontier as its shorter but more productive in Ash's training (don't care about may).Overall, it was better than johto, for sure.

THE BEST MOMENT: corphish, easily. He is Ash's best pokemon in terms of personality (but chikarita isn't far behind)...

THE WORST MOMENT: Brock's redundant character. I was glad to see him at the beginning but he does even less then what he did in johto (if possible).
    Last edited by charizard trainer #1; 7th September 2006 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks to Aurora Wish for making this card- totally awesome.

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
    Paul Valery

"I grew up with six brothers. That's how I learned to dance: waiting for the bathroom."
    Bob Hopes

The best bit of this series was the contests.They were great and introduced Drew and Harley some of my alltime favourite characters.I would of liked Max to get pokemon and Brock to have some character development but it wasn't meant to be...........
    [IMG]http://i13.*******.com/47lo29z.png[/IMG]
    Credit to ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the awsome banner!

~Bishie~Mafia~Song~Friends

I thought the gym battles were Great.But the lack of rivals for Ash was bad.Ash evoled all his pokemon exept for Corphish.May was a good character.Contest are awsome.This is the best season so far.But Sinnoh is crawling up to the best season spot.
    Manga's I'm up to date with.

Spoiler:- undefined:

Catching up to

Hunter x Hunter
    Battle Tendency
    Eyeshield 21

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    It started when Misty left at the end of Johto. I'm sure you Anti-Pokéshippers out there will stop at that line and scream "YOU JUST HATE HOENN BECAUSE MISTY WASN'T IN IT! GET OVER IT!!!"

But don't, becuase I'm going to offer what are hopefully at least semi-rational arguments to my point.

With Misty gone, Ash's character became warped and twisted. Now he seems to bounce between being a brilliant, champion-caliber trainer and the goofy, oblivious kid he used to be. Witness the episode "A Vanity Affair" for one. That whole episode had him in full swagger, being the braggart of early Kanto. The mistakes he made battling Drake were so painful--anyone with as much training as Ash would've never went with Grovyle against Altaria even with the tactic of using the sails. Yet when battling both Tate & Liza and Juan, he was grounded and thinking his tactics through. This constant warping is why Misty was so important---besides being an excellent foil for him, she was the one who kept him two feet on the ground. As soon as she was gone, he instantly grew up so to speak--then the bouncing back and fourth began. It's almost like he's two characters now.
    I'm sorry, but I really, really hate that reason because it offends my values, and if you weren't trying to be polite and rational, I'd mock it mercilessly. It reminds me of a kid living off his mother for 20 years and never going out to experience the world and becoming independent. Yes, Ash makes mistakes by himself, but how the heck are you supposed to grow up if you are constantly afraid of screwing up? At some point, Ash doesn't need anyone to keep his two feet on the ground because you only learn by making mistakes. If Misty constantly restrained him from making mistakes, how would Ash grow? Two Leagues later, he should not need some overbearing figure to tell him what to do. Basically, that's why I liked seeing Ash get his arse handed to him in Brave the Wave and Vanity Affair, because he could learn humility from experience, the best way to learn. So, yeah, I am perplexed at the point you are trying to drive across.
    Mostly lurking nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi-the-Breloom View Post
    If Misty constantly restrained him from making mistakes, how would Ash grow? Two Leagues later, he should not need some overbearing figure to tell him what to do. Basically, that's why I liked seeing Ash get his arse handed to him in Brave the Wave and Vanity Affair, because he could learn humility from experience, the best way to learn. So, yeah, I am perplexed at the point you are trying to drive across.
    LOL, I'm surprised you're responding to his post after so many months, but don't bother trying to reason.

Some of us *get it* while others don't. We'll leave it at that.

I only responded because his reason touched a nerve with my political/social leanings. It reminds me of Thomas Hobbes's Leviathan, which calls for an absolute sovereign to keep humans from falling into a life "solitary, poor, brutish, nasty, and short."
    Mostly lurking nowadays.

I really enhjoyed this saga. The fresh start perpsective was great and the captures were inventive and the Gym battles and League format was very well thought out and totally different from the other Leagues. Still wish Ash could have gotten that Combusken that evolved from Torchic before it went to a trainer. It would have been a good Fighting type Pokemon against Dyson.
    All in all; 9/10.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

It was a good saga all in all

Introducing the contests and a new girl

The battle frontier was a nice addition - pity bout the whole 4kids thing though

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

The Hoenn League was good because of the contests and because of the introduction of May, Max as well as new pokemon, new moves and more extended battles, however I still think Johto was better. This might just be me though.

Thanks to Tekirai for the greatest banner ever!

PM me with any help you need regarding #SPP-WiFi or with getting your signature checked

[14:32] <metallica> i acted like a foolish

*** katya (CHEAT@NOW.YOU.CAN.SEE.A.NICE.ICE.KEY.WHICH.YOU.CA N.HAVE.FOR.FREE) has quit IRC (Quit: (3:56:28 pm) <rittre_gilr> oh mah gah!!!! guess what i juss foun out!!!!! |B selebii-fatrazychan dada mallied a MURE!!!! an ugry mure can you berieve dat??? so dats why he got holse teef!!!! CHING CHING CONG BALONG)

This saga was really well done and my favourite. Ash and May had great teams. May's contests took a good new spin on the show and her rivals were better than Ash's. Ash had some good gym battles (Winona, Juan) and great Pokemon.

Spoiler:- "Alpha Sapphire Progress:

I found this saga really refreshing, and it was just what the anime needed after its loss of popularity due to the Johto saga. At its beginning, I was distraught that the original trio of Ash, Misty and Brock were being split up and threatened to lose interest in the show as a result. However, I found the introduction of May to be an interesting prospect, and I soon grew to really like her and her Pokemon. Her character development over the saga was really well done. As for Max, I found him really interesting in at the start and liked his interactions with his fellow travelers. But as the saga wore on he became less and less interesting, and soon became a nuisance.

The decision to give Ash a fresh start was an inspired one. Letting him take his Kanto team along to Johto was the first and final nail in the coffin for the underdeveloped Johto captures. This fresh start in Hoenn gave Ash a chance to give all of his acquisitions room to show their potential, and the pace of his team's development was very steady. Taillow, Treecko, Corphish, Torkoal (well...) and Snorunt (eventually!) were all given an equal chance to shine alongside Pikachu, and we saw a fair share of evolutions, unlike in seasons' past. It's a shame that Brock never delivered the potential that his 'explosive' reintroduction to the cast promised! Mudkip was wasted on his side, while Forretress may as well have never existed (the poor thing). Ludicolo was the only redeeming feature for Brock i'm afraid.

Overall, I would rate the Hoenn saga as up there with the best. However, it was definitely not without its faults (occasional boring fillers and poorly written episodes, deux ex machina Gym battles). 8/10

Probably my least favorite saga. AG was good at the beginning, but after Slateport, it got really Filler-y for some reason. It must've been the lack of writing. Yes, new Pokemon and events appeared but the episodes themselves were unnecessary at certain points and only seemed to have been created to make the saga longer. Pokemon debuted in the same way as always, with a COTD appearing as their owner. I stopped watching most episodes after Lilycove at one point, and had to rewatch the ones I missed at later times. 6/10 for the whole AG saga.
    Last edited by Lorde; 6th November 2010 at 9:06 PM.

Great saga, but not my favorite.

The gap between every gym battle and contest was great. not too long and not too short.

8/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

I really liked the Hoenn Region seasons. Ash started over almost completely, and was only using Pokemon he caught in Hoenn + Pikachu even during the Pokemon League. In the beginning however, it caused major problems when TR was stealing his Pikachu. The 1 thing I didn't like about this region was the massive amount of non-Contest and Gym battles compared to the earlier seasons. Hoenn Pokemon for me were my 2nd favorite as whole. The gym battles were much cooler than the earlier seasons. It took time to get used to seasons without Brock and Misty, but after several episodes it really all came together.

60/100
    Last edited by G50; 26th April 2011 at 1:32 AM.

I really like the Hoenn saga. It introduced me to the Hoenn region (since I didn't get Ruby version until 2004), which began one of my favourite regions in Pokemon. I liked how there was a change in the main cast with the addition of May and Max, since I was getting a little tired of the Ash-Misty-Brock trio. And although I prefer Gym Battles, I did like how this saga introduced Contests into the anime because it actually gave one of Ash's friends something to do. xD

The way Team Aqua and Magma were handled at the end was pretty bad though...I mean, what was Lance doing there?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast