Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokémon - The Hoenn League (06,07,08)

The best saga after DP. It just would have been good for them to give Ash a rival and Brock something to do. Max was okay and I liked that Jessie was doing Contests but I didn't like that James wasn't doing anything.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 31st March 2012 at 10:16 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

I'm too lazy to have a huge write up so I will make a list:
    • Team Magma/Aqua were handled well all the way until the climax episodes
    • Ash having no rival for the majority of the region was stupid
    • I didn't care for his two rivals that he finally did get during the Hoenn League
    • May's contest journey wasn't very exciting
    • The Grand Festival was handled more poorly than the Magma/Aqua climax
    • Max was terrible
    • Brock was just there

Better than Johto and the Orange Islands but worse than Kanto but only barely worse.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

This is by far my favorite saga of the series but I'll start off with what I didn't like,

Rivals- While Morrison and Tyson were cool it sucked how they didn't show up until the very end of Hoenn. Ash should've gotten a proper rival from the start with could've cut into a lot of the filler episodes.

Fillers- I didn't hate them but I really couldn't care for most of them.

Team Magma/Aqua- they were handle great at the beginning but lost their appeal towards the finale.

Now on to what I liked about this saga

Gym Battles- The main reason for me watching the anime the hoenn gym battles were by far the best gym battles I've seen in the anime. Ash had some great strategies and always gave an interesting gym battle. Ash vs Juan being the highlight demonstrating what the final gym battle of the region should be like.

Hoenn League- Really liked the setup for the league and had some great battles. the battle between Ash and the girl in the top 32 was amazing, vs. Morrison wasn't too bad either and his battle with Tyson was great as well. Although I do wish he at least made it to the top 4 it was still a great league.

Battle Frontier- The best filler saga of the anime. Really intense battles that pushed Ash to the edge. Charizard vs. Articuno, Swellow and Corphish vs. Arcanine and Swampert, and Ash's ace team vs. Brandon in that final epic frontier battle.

Characters- I was skeptical about May at first especially after seeing Misty go but I grew to love May. She went from a girl who disliked Pokemon to loving them and becoming a really great coordinator. Max was the little kid with a lot of knowledge. While annoying at first I really started to like him and his interactions with Ash and Brock. I really hope we get to see that battle between Ash and him one day. Brock was great to see and hear. They could've done more with his goals but he was active and never felt like he blended into the background. Ash and Pikachu were awesome. Ash had this whole experienced trainer feel about him. I remember him giving May some pointers in the beginning of the saga about type advantages and other things with showed his progress well. It was also nice to see him come up with great strategies without having to rely and his friends as much as he did in the past sagas. Pikachu learned Iron Tail and Volt Tackle which were both awesome moves with really expanded Pikachu's range of attacks and what he could do.

Music- The opening themes and battle music were the best of any region. Heroes of Hoenn, the remixed elite four theme, and the remixed regi theme were my favorites.

All in all this was a great and fun series to watch with it's only unique flair that no other saga has yet to capture.

To be honest I think This saga was boring. It introduced us to Pokemon contests, but it wasn't entertaining, there were some annoying nasty rival like Harley and Drew.
    Ash didn't had any rivals until he reached the Honnen league.
    May's constant blushing to Drew's roses was annoying.
    There were fillers which reminded me of the Johto saga.
    The BGM's are boring, only 'Heros of Honnen' was good.
    Brock did almost nothing.
    The english opening themes are not as good as Pokemon theme, Johto journeys or Master quest.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by PokemontrainerY View Post
    To be honest I think This saga was boring. It introduced us to Pokemon contests, but it wasn't entertaining, there were some annoying nasty rival like Harley and Drew.
    The english opening themes are not as good as Pokemon theme, Johto journeys or Master quest.
    It was entertaining in DP how when we saw it once already here? Annoying nasty rivals like Harley and Drew? Looks like someone needs to watch DP again: Paul, Zoey, Kenny, and Ursula anyone?
    The Hoenn League, not the "Honnen" league.
    So what Serena is doing now in XY is better all of a sudden when it's 100 x worse than that was?
    Yet those fillers are better than Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos' fillers.
    Boring BGM's beat annoying terrible electric guitar crap that we had to listen to like in DP. Ash's DP Theme makes me vomit when I hear it...and you forgot "Advanced Adventure," I see.
    No, you must be confusing Brock in DP for Brock in AG, sorry.
    Right, because TPCi's English themes haven't been complete garbage in comparison to the Hoenn ones-- nice try. Plus, I'd argue Advanced Challenge is better than Pokemon Theme.

This "Honnen" Saga must've been something else, because I've never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernikova View Post
    *]The Grand Festival was handled more poorly than the Magma/Aqua climax[*]Max was terrible[*]Brock was just there[/LIST]
    Yeah, no, not at all.
    Bonnie is even more terrible, then.
    Again, see DP if you want a Brock who was just there-- 3 Pokemon that made up his walking running gag presence in that Arc...here, he had a Ludicolo, a Marshtomp, a Forretress...not even funny how much better he was in AG than in DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    and Brock something to do. I didn't like that James wasn't doing anything.
    Brock needed more to do in DP than here, honestly-- see above.
    James didn't do anything in DP, either, other than act like a whiny flanderized pansy the whole time.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 15th June 2014 at 8:04 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by PokemontrainerY View Post
    Agreed. Heroes of Hoenn was the best BGM in the entire series IMO. And yeah, I wish Brock did more than just stand around in the Aqua/Magma finale. The English opening themes weren't bad, but I still enjoyed the DP ones more. Overall AG is probably tied with DP for my 3rd favorite series, behind OS and (so far) XY.

Quote Originally Posted by XxSymbolxX View Post
    Agreed. Heroes of Hoenn was the best BGM in the entire series IMO. And yeah, I wish Brock did more than just stand around in the Aqua/Magma finale. The English opening themes weren't bad, but I still enjoyed the DP ones more. Overall AG is probably tied with DP for my 3rd favorite series, behind OS and (so far) XY.
    Disagreed. No, I would say many OS ORG JPN BGM themes outdid it. I wish Brock did more than just flirt with women, cook, get poison jabbed by Croagunk, and act like a stale running gag in DP, or manage to look at Uxie with zero emotion there, too, but we couldn't have that, could we?

The DP themes were GARBAGE compared to the AG ones with a capital G: how in the world was DP Rap a good theme? LOL, good one.

:smh: @ that.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 15th June 2014 at 8:13 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Wow, I've really lost interest in the show throughout this season...

It started off on a pretty sketchy note though. Ash leaving everyone he knew behind and starting off with a sick pikachu was a very disheartening beginning. Things were unpredictable and sad and a new start was just around the corner. Fortunately things started out with some hints to promise!

Ash quickly met a girl named May, a girl who didn't seem to care for Pokemon and was looking for a way to escape her life and travel. What a wonderful and promising character she looked to be! It is unfortunate how dull her character quickly becomes.

The entire beginning of the first season is very dull. Ash catches a Tailow and a Treeco who are both without personalities. Fortunately Brock shows up and his reoccurring gags gave us some laughs until the show picks up on the humor. Which it quickly does as Corphish, Torkal, and team rocket all step it up and bring us alot of laughs.

THE BAD

The team Aqua and Magma story was very interesting in it's early days, but when the plot finally unfolded, things were quite anti-climactic and it all went to waste. Of course, the biggest problem with these teams were their whole goal. "expand the land" and "expand the sea!" It's just a stupid idea and the source of this problem is rooted in the games.

Contests were another aspect that never captured my interest. These felt like fillers to me as they distracted from Ash's story. May, already a character I had no investment in, ate up time that could have been spent on Ash, Brock, Max, or the pokemon! It wasn't until Harley came around that contests actually became fun and interesting. It's too bad he showed up so late. Drew was a rehash of Gary and a far more flat character than Gary as well.

May was such a flat and boring character. It is a huge shame too that one of the main cast could be so boring. Her voice acting was also far too similar to Ash in that they both break into a subtle giggle in what they say, something about Ash that always annoyed me that was even worse coming from May. Her voice change in future seasons truly redeemed her character a bit.

Max needed more screen time as he had the most room for growth and probably grew more than any other character!

Also, Cacnea was never funny. That gag was old the moment it started.

Lastly, Ash was written kinda poorly. He was unpredictable. In one episode he would be contained and mature and the next he would be throwing a fit over the tiniest little thing. Very dumb and annoying. The league was also incredibly dull and the rivals Ash quickly made were both annoying and unlikeable. Hope to never see them again.

THE GOOD

The actiony music and the new track played behind team Rocket's motto were just awesome and super fun! Team rocket in general became better than ever! Though their pokemon did not... at all...

Ash eventually got some better, funnier pokemon. Corphish is one of the best characters the show has ever had. Torkoal was also really fun!

The overall arc of all the gym hopping seemed to go pretty quickly, we didn't have to wait as long as we did in Johto, however Johto handled the stretch of the show far better. Most episodes were really fun in Johto and johto also had fun, multi-episode stories where we got to meet with old friends like Duplica, Suzy, and Richie.

So in the end, Hoenn started off hard to watch, but with some promise looking ahead, followed by enough laughs to keep watching, ending in disappointment and lack of motivation to keep watching... The worst series of pokemon so far.

I do hope the Battle frontier can give something new to be interested in, because Hoenn in itself was majorly just Johto again, at a quicker pace, with far less heart.
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

While this saga was far from perfect, it really did make the anime watchable again after the tiring Johto filler fest. May was a vast improvement over Misty from the start by having a great and funny personality along with an actual goal to match. For once the female was actually battling and having her own rivals and development.

Ash's Hoenn pokemon were his best developed of the series and the fillers got a bit more enjoyable. While the Magma/Aqua story was disappointing and Brock/Max didn't get as much focus as they could, it was a nicely done group dynamic.

I only wish more time was spent on fleshing out certain things.

A pretty good series imo. The beginning of it was kinda slow and boring to me, but late Hoenn and the Battle Frontier really got me interested in it with all the stuff that went on in that time period. Loved the 4 person group and character interactions it had also. I'd give this series a 7/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12