Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokémon - Battle Frontier (08,09)

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleHead View Post
    Man, not only is the Boring Season, but its new VA's suck eggs. Honestly, is Satoshi's VA a robot, does she/he/it feel no emotion?
    How exactly is this a boring season? Not only do we have tons of important episodes happening close together, but there is barely any filler.

Ash has a fully evolved team, the Contest arc is superb, and even Brock is getting decent fillers.

The voice actors are debateable, but to say this season is boring makes me wonder about your well-being.

Or his attention span.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

I'm so happy that Ash finally gets phanpy back and glalie gets oak'd
    [IMG]http://i13.*******.com/47lo29z.png[/IMG]
    Credit to ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the awsome banner!

~Bishie~Mafia~Song~Friends

This is finally getting a UK release now (see sig), so I'm more psyched than ever. Hopefully, this season won't be ruined by new VA, because that would be a shame. Still, I'll just have to get used to it...
    Brilliant news. Toonami UK have (finally) got around to showing Pokemon: Battle Frontier (Season 9). Starts Monday at 5pm.

Plot wise, best season of all.

Unfortunately the hit-and-miss nature of PUSA's dub (especially the writing early on) and the on-air audition quality of several actors knock it down several notches. And when episodes stunk, they were REAL stinkers like Wheel of Frontier and The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing. Towards the end they finally hit the groove, but it's just too bad it took so long.

But on the plus side we got Anabel, Brandon (NOOOOO!!!), Tucker, Scott, Lucy, Harley cosplaying May, Soledad, Solana plus "Deoxys Crisis!!", Slaking Kong, Aipom, even Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon if you count that as a Frontier episode and take it at plot value.

All in all, I have to rank it even with Orange Islands as my favorite season. It would rank higher but the shakiness that gripped it for much of the season knocked it down.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Okay, Toonami have now shown the first section (they like to split them into groups), and apart from the odd stumble (they missed the Celebi episode, hence my confusion when "oh look, it's the ranger again", but a brilliant season. Favourite epsiodes? The Anabell ones. Hands-down. Don't know why.
    On another note, this season has really picked up the pace, with most episodes having a point, unlike before. After some awful early scripts and animation, this series is starting to become enjoyable.
    I hope they keep it up.
    Brilliant news. Toonami UK have (finally) got around to showing Pokemon: Battle Frontier (Season 9). Starts Monday at 5pm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    And when episodes stunk, they were REAL stinkers like Wheel of Frontier and The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing.
    I have no idea why you could dislike an episode filled with characterisation, plot development, and a good battle.

I realize this is May and you we're talking about, but I find it funny that coming from someone who prides themselves as a writer, that you don't recognize GOOD writing in a show when everyone else does.

Why do you pride yourself in being in the minority, seriously?

My favorite episode was Gathering the Gang of Four. Great flashback sequences, and we finally get to see Ash and his Pokemon just train, something we do not see very often. It was just a nice Ash episode, something we don't get too much anymore.
    Name: ASH
    PEARL FRIEND CODE: 4811 3806 8597

I am one of the 3 leaders of the Riolu For Ash Club alongside Dax, and Shadowdragon16. PM or e-mail me to join!

Originally posted by Team Rocket Admin
    We pretty much know that no matter how good the plot is going to be, season 9 and the ending of the Kanto Battle Frontier (and Pokemon itself) is going to suck balls because of those new gay voice actors. Curse the person who came up with that decision.
    Hah, you're right. When I knew that the battle frontier wasn't going to have the normal actors, I almost never watched it, but I am glad I did manage to get used to the voices, because it has been alright. I like May's Eevee, and it's good that Mudkip finally evolved, even though I missed that episode.
    Last edited by Alycehunt; 5th June 2007 at 7:43 PM.

I don't like Ash's new voice, but I like this season.

I really enjoyed this saga. Although the writing and pacing for the first dozen episodes was below-par, it finally got going with plenty of incident.

This is probably the first season where I had watched a RAW version of an episode, and what better time to watch one than this. I loved seeing Ash's old pokemon return for another shot in the limelight, as well as seeing more development for the main core of his team (i.e. Pikachu, Swellow, Sceptile, Corphish and Donphan), as well as May's. However, I guess we can't really say the same about Brock's lol. The trainers themselves, including Team Rocket also got plenty of character development, which was great to see.

A couple of gripes I have, though. This would've been the perfect opportunity to go back to the Kanto that we all familiarised ourselves with on Ash's first adventure. It would've been fabulous to see how many of the filler characters had progressed since Ash had first met them, as well as providing us with some anticipated reunions. Hey, whatever happened to meeting Samurai for a re-battle, or AJ in the Pokemon League? How about searching for Pidgeot and Primeape to see how they're getting on? Oh well, that's water under the bridge now . Additionally, that would've taken a lot more time to cover. I was also a little disappointed that certain other Pokemon of Ash's weren't given time to shine (i.e. Johto starters, Noctowl, Muk etc).

On the other hand, the battles were amazing. Charizard V Articuno was entertaining enough (although it would've been better to have seen Ash use rentals in my opinion), and it was also awesome to see Ash struggle against the Regis (Torkoal V Registeel was a great battle). I wasn't, however, too delighted with the decision to have the Kanto starters take on Brandon in the final battle. Although I found it cool enough to see them reunited once again, it would've been better to see Sceptile, Swellow, Corphish and Donphan get one last hurrah before they were inevitably Oak'd.

Despite these gripes though, this was one of my favourite sagas, and I was just as pleased with what it offered than without what I feel it could have offered.

Aside from the Johto team (save Heracross and Phanpy/Donphan), Muk and Kingler not getting any battle time and Ash's released Pokemon not getting any returns this saga was fantastic!
    The Frontier Brains kept a good format relating to the games and seeing Bulbasaur, Chariard and Squirtle together agaion made it all worthwhile and the capture and personality of Aipom was very clever as well.
    All in all; 9/10.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

The voice actors were the only thing that ruined this season.
    Nonetheless, fantastic contests, fascinating and exciting battles against the Frontier Brains, and any pokemon evolution make this season one of the best.

Thanks to Tekirai for the greatest banner ever!

PM me with any help you need regarding #SPP-WiFi or with getting your signature checked

[14:32] <metallica> i acted like a foolish

*** katya (CHEAT@NOW.YOU.CAN.SEE.A.NICE.ICE.KEY.WHICH.YOU.CA N.HAVE.FOR.FREE) has quit IRC (Quit: (3:56:28 pm) <rittre_gilr> oh mah gah!!!! guess what i juss foun out!!!!! |B selebii-fatrazychan dada mallied a MURE!!!! an ugry mure can you berieve dat??? so dats why he got holse teef!!!! CHING CHING CONG BALONG)

Best season! Except for the voices -_-
    So happy that phanpy returned!
    Wish Upon a Darkstar

Live To Win

I'll admit, I didn't think I'd like it the Battle Frontier saga of the anime. The beginning of this arc was full of Fillers about Psyduck, Onix, Jigglypuff, Caterpie, etc. Then after PUSA started dubbing it, I noticed that the episodes got more interesting. I don't know why that is, but even the Fillers in season 9 were interesting. A lot of character development especially for May, Drew, Harley, and Team Rocket, which was needed in most cases. Loved it, 8/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 6th November 2010 at 8:10 PM.

I think it's one of my favorite seosons.

Especially the battle frontier battles, they were great with a lot of tactic.

8/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

I like this arc.It had the BF from Emerald in the best region in the Pokeworld,Kanto.I hope they do another arc like this.

9/10

That's what we have been waiting for...

The Battle Frontier season was my least favorite. The Contests and Frontier battles were the best of all seasons thus far. The fillers on the other hand, I didn't like all that much. There wasn't much creativity used in the fillers. It was great to finally see some of my favorite Pokemon Evolve, and hatch, and be caught by the gang. It was cool to see the Kanto Region cities and towns again, brought back a lot of good memories.

50/100

Frontier has my favorite episode: Battling the Enemy Within. I'm a sucker for plots that envolve brain-washing/mind control...it's weird, I know..
    ~Made By PrincessSarahEm on DeviantArt
    ~ Flute picture aquaticdivinity from deviantArt
    << Please clicky

I loved the Battle Frontier. By far my favorite arc. I loved the evolutions, captures, etc. I thought some of the fillers were good, and I loved all the Frontier battles and contests.

Currently writing: The Missing Link!
    Chapters posted: 5
    Please read and review. I'll be eternally grateful.

Battle Frontier was the best. The best battles were done here. I liked that Ash had a hard time with Brandon to show us how determined he was. I liked that Ash was evil for a day. It would have been nice to see him that way for a few more episodes, but it was fine. I didn't get the Misty cameo again. I didn't get that Brock's family was struggling again and I didn't like that Ash still didn't have a rival. But I loved May's contests, I loved the Frontier brains. I had no problems with either of them. And I liked that Ash challenged Agatha before the start of this. I loved the idea of Ash using his Kanto Pokemon and May using alot of Kanto Pokemon too. It was good to see them help cater to the Emerald BF franchise.

My ideal battle ever!

This season man:

fillers werent run of the mill, evil scizor, time travel, and evil Ash were so out of the norm.

Ash already having a badass team allowed for the writers to give Ash stronger opponents.

Such a delight to see may again, not sure about Max.

Dub was pretty terrible, but that is the only problem i have.

8/10
    Last edited by phanpycross; 13th March 2014 at 6:30 PM.
    Claimed

My 2nd favorite series. It made me nostalgic with the Kanto starter trio returning, and it had great battles and alot of focus on May and her awesome rivals. I'd rate this series 9/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12