Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pokémon - Battle Frontier (08,09)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu979 View Post
    I hope one day they do the Sinnoh BF
    Why would they?? Platinum was released almost 8 years ago so there'd be no point.

Quote Originally Posted by JudySpell View Post
    Why would they?? Platinum was released almost 8 years ago so there'd be no point.
    Maybe for DP remakes when gen 4 will be relevant again

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu979 View Post
    I loved the BF i think it was great to do something different. I hope one day they do the Sinnoh BF
    Eh, the Kanto BF saga was just an over-glorified Gym arc tbh. The BF facilities lacked originality, so I wouldn't want to see something like this again.

I loved the Battle Frontier arc cuz we got to see lots of Ash's old pokemon from Oak's lab battle in the facilities and even May got some attention while she did contests. Sadly Max and Brock took a backseat while this arc progressed. ^^; The Battle Pyramid episodes were my favourites from this storyarc.

I hated how the Battle Frontier was paced in terms of the Battle Pyramid mini-arc. God, watching Ash fail against Regirock and Registeel was painful and took too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    I hated how the Battle Frontier was paced in terms of the Battle Pyramid mini-arc. God, watching Ash fail against Regirock and Registeel was painful and took too long.
    I didn't mind Ash vs Brandon round one cuz Ash was possessed and didn't get to tap into Sceptile's full power, tho Ash vs Brandon round two was frustrating cuz Ash used Torkoal who was clearly no match for Registeel even with a type advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    Torkoal who was clearly no match for Registeel even with a type advantage.
    Yeah, Ash should've used something else for that battle. But the fact that Ash needed three attempts to win the Brave Symbol grinds my gears, regardless.

Yeah, Ash should've used something else for that battle. But the fact that Ash needed three attempts to win the Brave Symbol grinds my gears, regardless.
    I liked how Ash finally won with Pikachu against Regice, tho to this day I can't believe how all Ash got for defeating Noland, Greta, Tucker, Lucy, Spenser, Anabel and Brandon was a plaque ha ha. I dunno, it seemed like a letdown to me. ^^;

all Ash got for defeating Noland, Greta, Tucker, Lucy, Spenser, Anabel and Brandon was a plaque ha ha.
    Blame Ash for that mess; Scott had offered him a Frontier Brain position at the end - which would have justified all of Ash's efforts in this saga - but Ash declined...

Blame Ash for that mess; Scott had offered him a Frontier Brain position at the end - which would have justified all of Ash's efforts in this saga - but Ash declined...
    I know about that, tho even if Ash had agreed to it I wouldn't have been satisfied cuz I couldn't imagine Ash as a Frontier Brain. May winning Kanto's Grand Festival would've made more sense than that from my perspective.

May winning Kanto's Grand Festival would've made more sense than that from my perspective.
    Definitely. May winning against Solidad should have happened since I didn't see Solidad as being that strong of a Coordinator in the first place. :/

Definitely. May winning against Solidad should have happened since I didn't see Solidad as being that strong of a Coordinator in the first place. :/
    If I remember right she had known Drew for a while and even Drew called her his rival, so I always kind of figured that Solidad was tough. If May had beaten her in the tourney, I think it would've been a close match and she would've needed Blaziken.

I've always felt that the Battle Frontier arc was like the Orange Archipelago arc, except handled much better in terms of the battles. The stakes were much higher for both Satoshi and Haruka, and the final ten episodes were the most exciting ones in all of Advanced Generation. My only issue with this arc were the slow filler episodes in between the Contests and Battle Frontier facilities.

Pokemon Contests Opinion
    So the Pokemon contests all focus on May, the replacement girl for Misty. She has several rivals, but her main rivals are Drew and Harley. Her first contest was kind of good, she struggles with it, which is expected. Her next contests were boring, up until she meets Drew. Drew tells her she's just a mini casanova wannabe, otherwise a noob, and he respects her Pokemon more than he respects her. In his first appearance, he is quite cocky, and he demands a Pokemon battle from her to prove she is good. He does not stay a jerk for long however. Then Harley comes along, and he acts like a major jerk to May. He looks like he's Drew's replacement, but he ends up pissing off Drew, which then means May has to deal with 2 jerks instead of one. There was also a Dusclops guy, who had a very good episode, since it dealer with a guy running away from home to compete in contests, and his appeals were very good. There was this one girl who was in love with Drew and thought May also had a crush on Drew, but it was just a fan service episode, and nothing happened in it. (I'm aware of the rock guy, the young couple, and the Grumpig girl. The rock guy was good, but it felt like a repeat of the Dusclops guy. I don't remember the rest too well.)

But Drew is a good character. The next contest Drew shows up in, Drew gave May a rose to give to Beautifly. In Drew's words, "It's not for you, it's for Beautifly." Very funny. After that though, Drew doesn't do much, at least until the fan service episode, where nothing happens except Drew is at a pool and the girls see him shirtless.

And then there's Harley. He is my favorite character in the whole show. Any thoughts of "he's just here to replace Drew" are blown away by him saying that Drew is May's boyfriend, and then pissing Drew off to the point that he tells May "I'm not weak like you!" In Harley's first episode, he tells the entire audience about May's past a la ridiculously loud voice recording, and he uses this to his advantage by distracting May and attacking. This gives May important characterization, we finally know why she hated Pokémon in the first few episodes. Add to all this, that Harley is a very, very entertaining character, filled to the brim with adult jokes kids will never get (and why the writers thought it was a good idea for his Cacturne to fall in love with and kiss Jesse is beyond me. And why tf did 4Kids add in the lines "I found him lost, and when I learned he was your brother, I insisted he came with me!" (Max) "And he gave me this huge Sundae with Sprinkles and everything!" is beyond me too).

The last few episodes were anti-climatic, however. A new woman named Soledad comes in, who's better than every other rival. Supposedly she knows Brock and Harley. May ends up beating Drew and Harley, but she is defeated by Soledad. Come on, I know she is a young trainer, but at least let her lose to someone she knows! We don't even get to see the battle, it just cuts to the ending! It is very off-putting, and very disappointing!

Just call me if you need me.
    '"Go spend some time that you could be using to contribute nothing to society, and/or not be productive." -A You-tuber'
    Burgh's gym. Hidden easter egg.

Quote Originally Posted by jnshucker12 View Post
    The last few episodes were anti-climatic, however. A new woman named Soledad comes in, who's better than every other rival. Supposedly she knows Brock and Harley. May ends up beating Drew and Harley, but she is defeated by Soledad. Come on, I know she is a young trainer, but at least let her lose to someone she knows! We don't even get to see the battle, it just cuts to the ending! It is very off-putting, and very disappointing!
    I didn't mind Saori. Sure, she was a bit of a Mary Sue since she never lost on-screen, but I can't think of any previously known character who deserved to defeat Haruka in Saori's place.

I don't hate Soledad. But I still thought it all felt anti-climatic. Even Robert had some build up. Drew could have beaten May, I suppose. (I'll keep silent on my Harley is a former Pokémon Master headcanon.)

Just call me if you need me.
    '"Go spend some time that you could be using to contribute nothing to society, and/or not be productive." -A You-tuber'
    Burgh's gym. Hidden easter egg.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123