Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: Pokémon - Chronicles

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    I didn't like most 3rd Gen episodes. The older Chronicle episodes were better.

    Most were unnecessary, as if we really care about Tracey or Richie at this point.

    A waste of space I think :/ 4/10
    I totally disagree with you. I think that some the chronicles had the best episodes ever. Especially the ones with Cassidy and Butch.

    9/10

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Shinkuro Jigen
    Posts
    52,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gligar89 View Post
    I totally disagree with you. I think that some the chronicles had the best episodes ever. Especially the ones with Cassidy and Butch.

    9/10
    Why do you think they are the best? I'd like to hear your reasoning behind that so I can get a better idea.

    Cassidy and Butch didn't make good villians in my opinion.

  3. #28

    Default

    The Chronicles episodes are great. I really loved them.

    Most of the battles were amazing, especially the battles with Misty and TR.

    8/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1

    Unhappy Hi109

    Shining is not the sun's patent, you also may shine.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Deep Dark Hills of East KY
    Posts
    2,100

    Default

    I think that they should have continued making them with the Contests in Johto.I like the series because of the Pichu Bros.

    If and only if after an Awakening

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Purplesurge-Unreal IRC servers
    Posts
    6,699

    Default

    These episodes were all really cool. You got to see side-stories that either you were curious about, or wondering the background story, or how the characters who left were doing. There is a lot of comical parts in almost every episode. It's a change of pace from the Ash episodes all of the time. Some very unique plots and twists in pretty much every episode.

    70/100

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Pokemon Chronicles have never been aired in the Netherlands. However, I watched some episodes on the Internet. I like them. Something different than just Ash and Pikachu.

    I really loved Those Darn Electabuzz, Casey is one of my favourite characers from Pokemon. Also, Search for the Legend was great, and Celebi & Joy as well. Butch remains funny as always.

    I like all Chronicles episodes I've seen, they all have entertained me.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I liked pokemon Chroincles. It gives the minor characters a shine

  9. #34

    Default

    It was good to see Ritchie a few times again.

    That Raikou epiode arc (2) was boring imo though, it had no good story, it was all for the sake of Raikou having it's debut.

    Also the fact that Brocks Onix has evolved ruined it.

    Onix was his signature Pokemon, and the fact that we never saw Steelix again anyway shows that the evolution was not needed at all.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post

    Onix was his signature Pokemon, and the fact that we never saw Steelix again anyway shows that the evolution was not needed at all.
    What are you talking about? Brock didn't have Steelix in Chronicles.

    And how does it ruin it? Brock's Onix should have evolved back in Johto.

  11. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    What are you talking about? Brock didn't have Steelix in Chronicles.

    And how does it ruin it? Brock's Onix should have evolved back in Johto.
    Brock went home, Onix had shown to evolve before returning to Hoenn.

    It ruins it by personal opinion.

    What makes you say it should have evolved?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    Brock went home, Onix had shown to evolve before returning to Hoenn.

    It ruins it by personal opinion.
    Brock's Onix was shown to evolve in a flashback in the Battle Frontier saga. There was no Steelix in Chronicles.

    I think you're mixing things up with the ep they returned to Pewter Gym in Battle Frontier.

    What makes you say it should have evolved?
    Why shouldn't it? Steelix was a new evo for it, and Onix should have evolved back in Johto at the time.

    What's wrong with a pokemon like that evolving? Geodude probably should have evolved too, but whatever.

  13. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Brock's Onix was shown to evolve in a flashback in the Battle Frontier saga. There was no Steelix in Chronicles.

    I think you're mixing things up with the ep they returned to Pewter Gym in Battle Frontier.

    Why shouldn't it? Steelix was a new evo for it, and Onix should have evolved back in Johto at the time.

    What's wrong with a pokemon like that evolving? Geodude probably should have evolved too, but whatever.
    Ah my bad, it doesn't evolve in chronicles I did get it messed up, sorry.

    Although I still don't think it should have evolved considering it wasn't used after Battle Frontier.

    If it had evolved during Johto it would have made more sense.

    Yes geodude should have evolved, it seemed right, but im not too bothered Geodude was a boss Pokemon aha.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,819

    Default

    I remember seeing the Pokemon Chronicles episodes several years ago, and I rather enjoyed them. I liked how it focussed on Ash's friends as well as characters like Jimmy and Marina.

    The only thing I didn't like about Chronicles was the theme song...
    ~ * * ~

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,900

    Default

    Brock didn't need a chronical if he was going to just return anyway. And what's up with his folks? Mostly these chronicals were boring and too shippy mushy for me. I however, think that people should be happy because they could have kept going with more.

    My ideal battle ever!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Forest
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    The Misty one's were the best because she got focus and development. We need more chronicles to update us on how these characters are doing.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    The Misty one's were the best because she got focus and development. We need more chronicles to update us on how these characters are doing.
    True! Sure, I'd prefer Misty to come back in the "main anime", but her episodes here are also nice. It's better than nothing. And I also liked Chronicles: seeing, for example, Sakura, Casey, Ritchie and Tracey was nice. I hope there will be new Chronicles episodes in the future, preferably with Misty. "A Date With Delcatty" is my favourite Chronicles episode.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Chronicals were a waist of time. The only one I thought made sense to be a chronical was Legend of Thunder because we never saw the actual characters before. We didn't need to see Casey or Sakura again, and Richie, Oh my God!
    Another thing is that why they stopped them after Brock's silly family and then waited all the way to the end of Sinnoh to make another one? Damn!


    Alder: You wanna know what's better than battling?
    Ash: What?
    Alder: Eating hotdogs and battling!
    Trip: My God, It's like looking into the future.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    678

    Default

    I thought that chronicles was awesome and I loved every bit of it especially the team rocket centric episodes 4/5.

  20. #45

    Default

    Chronicles was fantastic! It felt so purely for the fans as we were getting more of the side characters we loved and, while the show progressed for new generations of viewers, the old timers still got to get a little taste of soon to be forgotten friends.

    A new Chronicles series would be super great! How awesome would it be to get to see all the newer friends who have been forgotten again? There are so many fun stories that could be told!

    All in all, Chronicles was really helpful in transitioning from the original series to the new series, and was so full of heart. Really touching and probably a better group of episodes than anything in AG so far!
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

    Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Traveling with Braixen
    Posts
    4,650

    Default

    Pretty interesting side series, though I hated how much focus Team Rocket got in this. The Misty episodes were decent, as well as the Legend of Thunder 3 parter, but I didn't really care much for that episodes with Ritchie and some of the other recurring characters. The battles weren't nothing special to write about either. I'd rate this 6/10
    Credit goes to Cresselia92

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,813

    Default

    I honestly don't know what to think of Chronicles. It's a great idea to have side-stories on secondary characters that we don't get in the main series, and it would've been nice if they had kept this going in later seasons. However, what was good about the series tended to be overshadowed a bit by the bad, and that nearly ruins Chronicles for me. It shouldn't be one of the negative reasons, but the dub is just awful here, and it's distracting. It's odd how 4KIDS slipped on this one—it's probably understandable given the circumstances at the time, but I can't think of anything of the dub of the main Pokémon was terribly written. (But I have of yet to check out the Hoenn episodes at this time. There probably was a difference between Johto and Hoenn in that regard.) Even the voice-acting was a step down from the main series, but I've complained about that before, so I'm not going back into it.

    Another thing I didn't like was that the stories—the meat and potatoes of the series—sometimes fell short of the potential they set up in the beginning. The only real good ones I personally liked was “A Family That Battles Together, Stays Together” and "Legend of Thunder", and possibly “Training Daze” for delving more into Team Rocket's past, but I feel like that one retconned something or whatnot. The one episode that made me mad and has to be my least favorite was “Celebi & Joy” for the way it handled changing the past and changing the future without any negative repercussions (never mind the fact Celebi itself barely appears). It apparently only changed the future for that one town, but how do we know the rest of the world hadn't been changed, particularly with Ritchie himself? Time travel is hard to write correctly, I get it, especially for a twenty-minute episode, it's just pretty bad when Pokémon 4Ever did time travel better even though it's one of the weaker movies. (This is more nitpicky than anything else, considering time restraints may have been the biggest issues.) Really, some of the things that were shown to have changed in the future didn't make sense to me. How do we know Nick would've ended up being mayor had he lived? Who was the mayor to begin with before the change? Why didn't he make an appearance, even if only for a scene so we could feel more satisfied with the changes? Why bother to save/renovate an old Pokémon Center? What, the original mayor wasn't going to bother building a new one in its place? Why villainize a character we know zilch about?

    Other than that, the other episodes were either missed opportunities (“The Blue Badge of Courage”), boring (“Those Darn Electabuzz!”), or forgettable (“A Date with Delcatty”).

    Still, despite all of its problems, I cannot deny that Chronicles was a fresh entry even if the debate of it being canon or not seems to be a thing in the fandom. While Ash was never a main character in this series, his absence didn't take away from the rest of the cast that were featured, giving them a chance to stand on their own. Some of the characters had more screentime than others (whether they really needed it or not), but while some of the characters I personally didn't care for, they pleased other people, and that makes Chronicles a personal preference than anything. The characters kind of had development in some areas, but most of the time they were the same as when we first met them—Ritchie and Casey being the worst offenders to me, not counting Butch and Cassidy who were actually regressed as characters to fit Jessie, James and Meowth's roles. I don't think anyone really “grew”, to be frank.

    Do I regret watching the series? Well, it's not a rewatchable series in my opinion, just something there on the side in case you're curious enough to take a look before moving on. And because it's more of an optional series and not so much a “must see”, it's kind of a waste of time with some of the episodes nearly intolerable to watch dubbed. As a Pokémon fan, however, I would like to see as much of the anime as possible, even if only to say I have seen it. It didn't take away anything, but it didn't really add much either. And that is more disappointing to me than it is frustrating.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 31st December 2014 at 10:03 PM.
    Winner of Best Fic of 2014 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 3 - 4/14/15 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •