Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Miscellenous Face-Offs?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Little Britain.
    Posts
    1,041

    Default Miscellenous Face-Offs?

    There is already a forum for Pokemon-based face-offs, so why not create one for miscellenous face-offs to go in the miscellenous section? Examples could be a Bands Face-Off, or an Animals Face-Off, or a Celebrity Face-Off. The Pokemon face-offs seem to be quite popular, and miscellenous face-offs would be great imo.
    So, what do you lot think?

    -Click the banner to read-

    Want Pokemon forums with Custom-Avatars, a funky Jukebox, and no n00bs or spam whatsoever? Then come to HitmonNet, the greatest webpage on t3h internetz!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    16,226

    Default

    The Face-Offs are majoritively spam as it is and we have been considering getting rid of them...making Miscellaneous ones...its just not necessary

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Little Britain.
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii
    The Face-Offs are majoritively spam as it is and we have been considering getting rid of them.
    I'm in the face-offs more than any other section of the forum, and I havn't seen much spam whatsoever. Eversince the rule was intraduced that face-offs had to be appproved, we've seen far less spam.
    And getting rid of the face-offs is the epitome of sin. :<

    -Click the banner to read-

    Want Pokemon forums with Custom-Avatars, a funky Jukebox, and no n00bs or spam whatsoever? Then come to HitmonNet, the greatest webpage on t3h internetz!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii
    The Face-Offs are majoritively spam
    As opposed to the Games forum which is a much needed sub-forum making many worthwhile contributions to our loving SPPf community. If you remove the face-offs, it's only fair for you to remove the Games forum, no? Also, since when was majoritively a word?

    Anyway, I don't see the point in Miscellaneous Face-Offs. At least with the Pokemon Face-Offs, there is a limit to how far you can take the one face-off. If you are facing off bands (to use your example, master chuckle) then the only way for it to be totally fair is to face-off EVERY band and quite frankly, that idea is ludicrous. The "good" face-offs we already have are those which have specifics to which they have to stick such as the Shiny/Attack Face-Offs when they were still running. The Pokemon/attacks being faced off were all easily grouped (either by colour or type) and then they could be eliminated thusly. How can you do that by bands? Genres of music are too broad to do that anyway.
    Nintendo Network ID: benjikemp

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Battle Arena
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinopio
    As opposed to the Games forum which is a much needed sub-forum making many worthwhile contributions to our loving SPPf community. If you remove the face-offs, it's only fair for you to remove the Games forum, no? Also, since when was majoritively a word?
    Especially the "Throw an Object at the Above Poster" (Or whatever) thread. Man, that's deep. >_>

    Anyways, like Kinopio said, Miscellaneous face-offs wouldn't really work imo.
    |The Arena Captain! Make way for...

    KOGOMI! <3|

    ~~|As you probably already know, the smexy Kogomi pic is a courtesy of Pokésho. The bestest page on the interwabz. 8D And don't you forget: "Kogomi is the cutest and you know it! >:O" x3|~~

    |Claimed Ships: Tails x Knuckles~Knuckles x Shadow~Fleur Delacour x Hermione Granger|


    |Currently obsessed with: Eeveelutions/StaffShipping/Kogomi/Dunno KAY?... Because I CAN! :0|

    |*~*~Twinage: Phantom_Bugsy~*~*Pair: taitofan~*~*|

    |AAAANNDDD... I've claimed Kogomi in the Bishounen thread and Beast Boy in the Cartoon Bishounen thread! <3|

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    I don't see a Misc. Face-Offs Section existing, but taking out the Pokemon Face-Offs? Man, that's cruel.

  7. #7
    Blazing Dragon Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii
    The Face-Offs are majoritively spam as it is and we have been considering getting rid of them...making Miscellaneous ones...its just not necessary
    Public opinion is against you this time joe, seriously, take out the pokemonn face offs? You cant be serious, half the people coming to this site would stop. Rather, I think you should have a higher consentration of good moderators posistioned there.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Battle Arena
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Dragon
    Public opinion is against you this time joe, seriously, take out the pokemonn face offs? You cant be serious, half the people coming to this site would stop.
    And since when that was a problem to him? YHALOTHAR manga avatars. ;/ Because, of course, the members AREN'T what makes the forum. +Awaits the 'omgifudunlikLEAVElolz' posts+

    Rather, I think you should have a higher consentration of good moderators posistioned there.
    Himiko does the job pretty well, I say.
    |The Arena Captain! Make way for...

    KOGOMI! <3|

    ~~|As you probably already know, the smexy Kogomi pic is a courtesy of Pokésho. The bestest page on the interwabz. 8D And don't you forget: "Kogomi is the cutest and you know it! >:O" x3|~~

    |Claimed Ships: Tails x Knuckles~Knuckles x Shadow~Fleur Delacour x Hermione Granger|


    |Currently obsessed with: Eeveelutions/StaffShipping/Kogomi/Dunno KAY?... Because I CAN! :0|

    |*~*~Twinage: Phantom_Bugsy~*~*Pair: taitofan~*~*|

    |AAAANNDDD... I've claimed Kogomi in the Bishounen thread and Beast Boy in the Cartoon Bishounen thread! <3|

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,570

    Default

    Really, all I want is a member faceoff. I'm not terribly interested in having faceoffs about various hunting knives or bird eggs or Sino-Tibetan languages, but it'd still be nice to be nice to see another member faceoff considering that we have one for the mods and that the last member faceoff was wildly successful and popular.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Dragon
    Public opinion is against you this time joe, seriously, take out the pokemonn face offs? You cant be serious, half the people coming to this site would stop. Rather, I think you should have a higher consentration of good moderators posistioned there.
    lmao Public opinion isn't against him this time. It's actually against the face-offs. They ARE spam enough as is. "lolz name the bets *enter subject here* with no resoning why!!!1"

    I'll be damned if I have any of that garbage anywhere near the Misc. section.

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Battle Arena
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    lmao Public opinion isn't against him this time. It's actually against the face-offs. They ARE spam enough as is. "lolz name the bets *enter subject here* with no resoning why!!!1"
    And what about the games forum? >__>; Christ, if you take out the face-offs, you should take out the games too. -___-
    |The Arena Captain! Make way for...

    KOGOMI! <3|

    ~~|As you probably already know, the smexy Kogomi pic is a courtesy of Pokésho. The bestest page on the interwabz. 8D And don't you forget: "Kogomi is the cutest and you know it! >:O" x3|~~

    |Claimed Ships: Tails x Knuckles~Knuckles x Shadow~Fleur Delacour x Hermione Granger|


    |Currently obsessed with: Eeveelutions/StaffShipping/Kogomi/Dunno KAY?... Because I CAN! :0|

    |*~*~Twinage: Phantom_Bugsy~*~*Pair: taitofan~*~*|

    |AAAANNDDD... I've claimed Kogomi in the Bishounen thread and Beast Boy in the Cartoon Bishounen thread! <3|

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Mind you, a chunk of those games are also spam and should be done away with as well as the spam-fest known as "face-offs."

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  13. #13

    Default

    Face-offs should be done away with completely.

    Public opinion is against you this time joe, seriously, take out the pokemonn face offs? You cant be serious, half the people coming to this site would stop. Rather, I think you should have a higher consentration of good moderators posistioned there.
    Public opinion meaning who? The members that post in the face-offs section? Of course they'd be against it, they're the ones that post there. If you mean everyone on the forums, that is a very inaccurate generalization.
    russian graffiti

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,532

    Default

    While I do agree face-offs are SPAM (OMG! SHOCK HORRORZ!!!1) I think it is hypocritical and highly biased for the face-offs to be removed while there is hardly a murmur against the games forum. The way I see it, the face-offs aren't really hurting anyone and there in a spot where if you aren't purposely going there, you're not going to be hindered by them so why not leave them? Heaven forbid we should be able to have a bit of fun on a POKEMON FORUM...

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Mind you, a chunk of those games are also spam and should be done away with as well as the spam-fest known as "face-offs."
    So, you say a chunk as opposed to all of them. Care to show me one (well, besides perhaps the Caption Contest) which isn't spam?
    Nintendo Network ID: benjikemp

  15. #15
    Shadowcat Guest

    Default

    Face-Offs should remain, IMO. If you delete the Face-Offs, get rid of Games too. Due to the fact, most games have tons of spam in them.

    Just repeating what was already said.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Dragon
    Take out the pokemonn face offs? You cant be serious, half the people coming to this site would stop.
    Really extreme overexaggeration. Not even close to half go in that section.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Dragon
    I think you should have a higher consentration of good moderators posistioned there.
    WTF? o_O


    And if the face-offs stay or go doesn't really matter to me. They're kinda fun but aren't necessary. They're just polls that have turned into games.

    As for the member face-off, there's a rule for no more non-Pokemon face-offs since it's a Pokemon face-offs section. The reason the mod one's still there is because it was started before the rule was made. And the member one ended before the rule was made hence why it wasn't continued.

    And Games and Face-offs are different. Like I already stated, Face-offs are just a different kind of poll so they're not really needed because we have a pokepolls section. Games are different. They're not like polls or anything so if we got rid of that section then we wouldn't have a place to put things like them. And the games section is way more popular than the face-offs.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Little Britain.
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Getting rid of face-offs because Serebii and a bunch of mods disapprove of them is like a prime-minister banning lamb-and-mint sauce because he's allergic to it. If you lot don't like it, then leave it alone and let it be a respice for people who actually appreciate it.
    If you get rid of face-offs, you might as well get as rid of games; or RPGs, or Fan-Art, or Fan-Fiction, or any type of fun-based forum. Remember that Pokemon is a fun-based franchise, meaning forums based around it should be fun aswell. Does anyone really want forums to just be arguments over how Dodrio can use Fly when it hasn't got wings, or repetitive polls on ''what's your favourite Pokemon/character/generation/ect. Without games and fan-product sections and face-offs and RPGs to add a bit of variety, fun, and fresh-air, the forum would just turn into a stale, debate/poll-based chatroom.

    -Click the banner to read-

    Want Pokemon forums with Custom-Avatars, a funky Jukebox, and no n00bs or spam whatsoever? Then come to HitmonNet, the greatest webpage on t3h internetz!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,314

    Default

    Miscellenous Face-Offs? Maybe, but i don't think so...
    Even so, deleting the pokemon face-off section...well, it's true some (or more than 'some') posts are SPAM, but even so, it's a funny section where people see if the pokemon they bet won. It's like a Casino, and there can't be life without Casinos! [/random]...

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master chuckle
    If you get rid of face-offs, you might as well get as rid of games; or RPGs, or Fan-Art, or Fan-Fiction, or any type of fun-based forum.
    That is completely illogical. People put work into RPGs, Fan art, and fanfiction. On the other hand, face offs are just "I vote for _____" where's the effort? There's none at all. Its 10 or less word posts to see who wins a contest with no prize.

    Don't start mixing things that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
    russian graffiti

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    INSIDE...
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master chuckle
    Getting rid of face-offs because Serebii and a bunch of mods disapprove of them is like a prime-minister banning lamb-and-mint sauce because he's allergic to it. If you lot don't like it, then leave it alone and let it be a respice for people who actually appreciate it.
    If you get rid of face-offs, you might as well get as rid of games; or RPGs, or Fan-Art, or Fan-Fiction, or any type of fun-based forum. Remember that Pokemon is a fun-based franchise, meaning forums based around it should be fun aswell. Does anyone really want forums to just be arguments over how Dodrio can use Fly when it hasn't got wings, or repetitive polls on ''what's your favourite Pokemon/character/generation/ect. Without games and fan-product sections and face-offs and RPGs to add a bit of variety, fun, and fresh-air, the forum would just turn into a stale, debate/poll-based chatroom.

    We don't want rid of them because we don't like them, sugarplum. We want rid of them because they require little to no effort and are, collectively, spam.

    It's not that hard to comprehend.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SapphireDewgong
    We don't want rid of them because we don't like them, sugarplum. We want rid of them because they require little to no effort and are, collectively, spam.

    It's not that hard to comprehend.
    However, it seems to be very hard for any moderators to comprehend the idea of the Games forum being just as spammy as the face-offs. I have no problem with the games but they are just as much SPAM as the face-offs. Can nobody explain to me how threads such as "Throw and object at the user above you" or "How off-topic can you go?" or "Post a lie about the above poster" require any more thought or effort than the face-offs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    face offs are just "I vote for _____" where's the effort? There's none at all. Its 10 or less word posts to see who wins a contest with no prize.
    Well, compare a face-off to some of the games and I can point out how at least the face-offs are providing a contest of sorts rather than just being something created to solely incite idiocy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Himiko
    Like I already stated, Face-offs are just a different kind of poll so they're not really needed because we have a pokepolls section.
    Well, the face-offs were originally in the Pokepolls section but they were given their own separate subforum due to the complaints some people had about there being more face-offs than everything.

    Games are different. They're not like polls or anything so if we got rid of that section then we wouldn't have a place to put things like them.
    True, there isn't really another place for the games forum to go. However, do we really need a place for them? I mean, if you want to remove the face-offs due to their very notable SPAM levels then games also fall under the category and should be done away with also.

    And the games section is way more popular than the face-offs.
    That is also true but look at the calibre of threads in either section. OK, face-offs are not exactly in the high-intellect zone but at least they are related to the forums in the sense they are about Pokemon just like the rest of the forums whereas most, if not all of the games are totally unrelated and completely out of place on these forums.

    I myself am not an advocate for the abolition of the games forum. I don't visit the games forum and it has no effect on me whatsoever. However, I don't see why we should have to sit back and endure the high level of hypocrisy in this thread. You can't have it both ways. You want the face-offs gone due to the fact they are SPAM but don't want to remove the games forum even though the same argument can be even more heavily applied to them. The only fair options are to either:

    - delete both the Games forum and the Face-Offs subforum
    - move the face-offs subforum from the General Pokemon Discussion forum to the Games forum

    I think the latter is the most sensible. I mean, the former is awfully radical whereas the second will most likely shut everyone up. Which, on these forums would be quite an achievement!
    Nintendo Network ID: benjikemp

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinopio
    You want the face-offs gone due to the fact they are SPAM but don't want to remove the games forum even though the same argument can be even more heavily applied to them.
    May I ask who you were talking to here? Because you said it a little bit after quoting me and I can't tell if you were saying it to me, the other people in this thread, or both. if I was the one you were talking to then it doesn't apply to me because I didn't say I wanted them gone for that reason.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Little Britain.
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    That is completely illogical. People put work into RPGs, Fan art, and fanfiction. On the other hand, face offs are just "I vote for _____" where's the effort? There's none at all. Its 10 or less word posts to see who wins a contest with no prize.

    Don't start mixing things that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
    These things are all based around one principal, and that is FUN. Some people do find the simplicity of face-offs fun. It's just a basic, no-nonsence game were yoou can dive in and stroll about when you're bored.
    You know what, you are targeting face-offs the same way in which soccer mums target Pokemon for extremly silly reasons. If face-offs are boring for you, stay away form them, and don't get involved. It's as simple as that. Leave face-offs to people who care; it's not as if they get in the way or anything. If they were just floating around the Pokepolls and kept on popping up, then it would be more understandable.
    If you ban face-offs, many people will be extremly unhappy and it will cause more upset than the face-offs did. Show some consideration for what other people want. Let's look at this logically; if face-offs are deleted, people who enjoy them will be extremly upset, and people who don't enjoy them just won't give a damn. If they stay, people who enjoy them will be happy and people who don't approve of them can just let them be and get along with there lives. It's as simple as that. In other words; DON'T BAN FACE-OFFS. PEOPLE ENJOY THEM. THE END.
    Last edited by Komedic Konservationist; 28th February 2006 at 6:43 PM.

    -Click the banner to read-

    Want Pokemon forums with Custom-Avatars, a funky Jukebox, and no n00bs or spam whatsoever? Then come to HitmonNet, the greatest webpage on t3h internetz!

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master chuckle
    The face-offs do have alot of problems though.
    Such as? If you have any problems in face-offs then PM me about it.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    431

    Default

    You're all talking in a futuristic perspective. For now, the face-offs forum is still in place, and I can't see any reason why other types of face-offs shouldn't be considered.

    Maybe limiting it to anime/manga/games would be suggestable?

    harderbetterfasterstronger
    bishie furukawa nagisa
    code geass || breakout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •