Thread: Special Energy Card Tutorial

Default Special Energy Card Tutorial

Sorry for the long delay - better late than never though :P. This tutorial covers just about everything, fom the placing of the text to the card art now .

Some important notes: This Special Energy Card Tutorial is adapted for Photoshop 6 and up. Of course, this tutorial may not necessarily be 100% correct - I could be wrong. As for the Special Energy card blank, there isn't anywhere else to get it other than Pokebeach. To access the link, click here and scroll down until you see the link to the Special Energy card blank. Also, all fonts are the standard fonts used for making other fake cards.

All ready? Then let's begin!

Before we start, we’ll need to change the foreground colour to white, since all text will be white in colour. To do this, hit D on your keyboard to select default colours, and then hit X to switch Foreground and Background colours. You toolbar should look something like this:

Figure 1

First, we’ll start with the name. The name uses Gill Sans MT Bold, size 20 at 100% width. Put it 5 pixels from the top of the black line and 2 pixels on the right from the left edge of the black line.

Figure 2

For the text ‘Special Energy card’ (to the right of the Energy card’s name), use Gill Sans MT Regular, size 14 at 96% width. Place it 2 pixels on the right from the left edge of the black line. Put it 5 pixels above the black line.

Figure 3

Things get a little complicated here. For the Energy’s effect, draw a text box by drag-clicking to create a box. Align the box so that it is exactly the width of the black line. The text box should be about 5 pixels below the line. Open up the Paragraph window, and click ‘Justify last left’. (If you can’t see the window, click ‘Window’ on your menu and select ‘Show Paragraph’.)

Figure 4

For the text, use Gill Sans MT Regular, at 96% width. Your text can range between the size of 11 and 15. Set the leading (the distance between two lines) 1 point bigger than your font. (For example, if your font is size 12, then your leading should be 13.)

Figure 5

The final parts are similar to Fangking’s tutorial for Pokémon cards. The 9-digit ID is placed 15 pixels from the right of the yellow border, and its bottom should be aligned with the Nintendo copyright. Use Futura LT Medium Regular, size 7 at 89% width.

Figure 6

The rarity symbol goes about 25 pixels from the left of the yellow border. Put the card number 3 pixels to the left of the rarity. For the card number, use Futura LT Medium Bold Italic, size 7 at 89% width. Align the bottom of the card number with the Nintendo copyright, then shift the rarity symbol 1 pixel up from the bottom of the card number. The set symbol should go roughly somewhere between the rarity symbol and the yellow border.

Finally, for the illustrator, use Futura LT Medium Italic, size 7 at 100% width. It should be aligned to the left edge of the black line. Put it about 23 pixels from the top of the yellow border.

Figure 7

And that's about all for the text part. Easy, wasn't it ?

Now, if you can't make an authentic-looking Special Energy card if you don't have authentic looking art now, would you? Here's a basic tutorial on how to create your very own Special Energy art from scratch:

Art Tutorial

The tutorial also covers some other things that I missed out earlier. To download it, just click 'Download to Desktop'. You'll need Winzip to open the files though .

That is all for my very basic Special Energy card tutorial. I hope you've found it useful :P
    If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will try to help you...just don't expect a reply too soon OK :P?
    Last edited by shadow_bind; 25th March 2006 at 9:09 AM.
    Visit my Deviantart Page!

Thanks for the tutorial, very helpful.

Could you please post Explosive Energy so we can see how it turned out?

I've now updated the tutorial with another tutorial on how to create art for the Special Energy card. After all, I shouldn't be stingy with what I know, right :P? Take note that the tutorial is long. I can't help it, I'm very wordy...

And now the tutorial is complete! Could someone please sticky it?

P.S. Before I forget, here is the final card. Get ready to have a have a blast with some
    Explosive Energy!
    Visit my Deviantart Page!

Ah. A nice tutorial. I have no idea why it's not stickied >.>...

FC: 1118-0736-6254
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Emolga, Helioptile and Zebstrika

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    Town Name: Aspiria
    Villager Name: Mike
    Fruit: All (including bamboo)
    Villagers: Sylvia, Pinky, Mallary, Dizzy, Phil, Graham, Cobb, Mott, Drago and Skye

Wow this really helps thanks alot!
    Hey whats up!? Wanna battle or trade with me? Here is my info:

Friend Code: 2749-7575-4320
    Name: Dawn
    Version: Pearl

hey, why can't i c da art tutorial? what do i hav to click on da Deviant page? i can only see the art of explosive energy
    TO ALL PEOPLE TRADING WITH ME - I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRADE RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE I NEED TO GET THE WI-FI ADAPTOR FIRST. WHEN I WILL GET IT I WILL DELETE THIS MESSAGE AND PM YOU

Credit to Raden Surya for the Dragon Power animation!
    Mewthree's D/P Trades
        Spoiler:- claims:

A nice Tutorial thank you! ^^

I would have used a border on the image. Just to make it look more professional, and have the text .5 larger. The image itself should be a tad smaller as well.

The tutorial is very well imformative, and covers the basics on energy cards. I think you did a good job.

-LuciRuki-

[No matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgendered
    life, I'm on the right track baby, I was born to survive]

Something's wrong...
    I clicked the link to the Special Energy Card blank, and the result: Pokebeach's bulletin. Are you planning to upload it? It took me many months to search for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mew3 View Post
    hey, why can't i c da art tutorial? what do i hav to click on da Deviant page? i can only see the art of explosive energy
    I think you need to download it instead of viewing it on Deviantart. Just simply click "Download"

Hi..
    I just see it and buddy awesome all that.. just go with it... Fabulous job .... Thanks a lot to share with here...

nice tutorial i must try it and also a cool energy would be techno energy lol :P

very nice
    I would liek to see pokemon make some more special energy cards...
    FC: 4468-2026-1764

Credit to GameMaster10.

So, it would mean work to make fake cards, right? Plus, you will feel uncomfortable playing with unreal cards. hehe. But i think it's fun!

Amazing! Thanks you.

Thanx alot for the tutorial

FOR TRADES AND BATTLES WHITE 2: 0648 7642 8668

Good tutorial! :>