Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with the lack of cars?

Shigeru Guest

Default What's with the lack of cars?

Seriously, why does everyone use a bike or feet to get around from place to place? You don't see any cars around in the anime (and I know they exist). What's up with that? Is this to create a futuristic-medieval image (like in Star Wars)?

Because going everywhere in a car would be far too easy. As for the sky; some people have pokemon that know fly. No planes needed. The sea has ships and pokemon.
    Ho-oh Master
    ShyPikachu
    Mawile XD
    Those guys are so awesome.
    ----------------

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/769/karman2ju.png
    Credit = ~*SeijisSeviper*~
    ----
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ho-oh Master
    I don't want to get to 999 hours (which I can easly) but what will happen? will my game just restart or will it crash and then I can't play it anymore?

An explosion, booooooooom.

There were lots in the newest Japanese episode. There are definitely paved roads that link the cities (we saw one in The Pi-Kahuna, for example), it's just that the gang doesn't travel on them.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Geki Guest

If everyone drove around in cars the anime would be boring. Wouldn't you rather see trainers/people out traveling on a journey then everyone driving around? For some characters, a car is cool though. Like     Spoiler:
    and Gary's old car.

There are cars in the anime.I remember Scott has a car.
    But if the heroes have cars,well they travel too fast.Then there won't be so many episodes.
    current rank:Rising trainer
    Final rank:Pokemon champion
    Oh boy,I have a long way to go.
    Future DP team:

Since the games have your character walking most of the time, the anime goes by that: walking. Sure, Satoshi, Haruka, Takeshi and Masato can go on bikes, but that would deprive us of seeing them hungry and tired (beginning of Candid Camerupt).

Seriously, IMO, the characters riding in Bike/cars all the time would be boring. I much rather them walking. Save that idea for a filler episode.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

it wouldn't be a good example if we saw ash and co. revving up the road in a pick-up truck, or Team rocket running over civilians in a monster truck trying to catch pikachu. I mean, they do show cars sometimes when they are in a city right?
    You never were there....but you never were here, either...
    This the Prince Manaphy, my bishie. *hugs*
    Thanks to Coronis for the Manaphy sprite and ~*SeijisSeviper*~ for the Anti-Manaphy!

The characters walk so they can encounter wild pokemon and enjoy the sites on their journey. Otherwise you wouldn't see any wil pokemon like in Colosseum/XD when you use the vehicle to skip past all of the wild pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Latios
    In any case, a lot of other anime I see, cars have very little to do with anything. They're just here and there, and maybe once in a while they're used.
    the only anime I can think of that dealt with cars was Speed Racer...

other then that, Cars are not as important in Japan as they are in North America, since it's pretty small, nearly everything is biking distance...

and they're just kids, they wouldn't know how to drive anyway.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

As others have said, there isn't much focus on cars because the Anime is based off the games. And in the games, there isn't even a road, only Routes. So, staying true to the game meant they had to cut back on cars and such...even in big cities.

Though the most common place to find a car is in big cities...think of Meowth's Adventures in Big Town. There were quite a few cars there.

Do remember that a lot of the time, the gang are either in forests, middle of nowhere, or villages. It's not often they're in cities, big ones to be precise.

Really no need for cars for country bumpkins. :P

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Geki Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Do remember that a lot of the time, the gang are either in forests, middle of nowhere, or villages. It's not often they're in cities, big ones to be precise.

Really no need for cars for country bumpkins. :P
    Yeah, it'd be kind of hard for them to drive through mountains, forests, and oceans don't you think?

They can improvise like real-life construction workers do - Deforesting and blasting mountainsides. As for the ocean...they can make really long bridges.

Or Kanto/Johto/Hoenn just have really cheap economies.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Suikun
    They can improvise like real-life construction workers do - Deforesting and blasting mountainsides. As for the ocean...they can make really long bridges.
    Actually, I hear that Japan preserves a huge percentage of its forest land. That'd likely be the same case in the Pokemon world, considering several aspects of it is based off of the country it's made in. Add onto this the fact that going out into the wild to collect creatures for battle is probably the biggest sport in that world, and I'd highly doubt there'd be much deforesting and mountainside destruction, especially not in excess amounts as you seem to imply.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

The transport links aren't particularly good in the places the gang go. There are often nice energy efficient methods of travel in some of the cities.
    It's most likely the whole Japan, no need for cars thing though.

Paired with Fighting_Master back in the day

My beloved Shiny Oddish!
    By
    Yoru Ryu, of course.

wow if there was cars they would be at the gym by now

[img]http://*******.com/iwuc7k.png[/img]
    Pikachu! the best pokemon
    Thanks Drayano for the banner!
    Thanks Bonsly2006 For the Battle Scene!

I think only really rich people can afford cars in the pokemon world.That's why we hardly ever see cars.

Geki Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shining-Celebi
    I think only really rich people can afford cars in the pokemon world.That's why we hardly ever see cars.
    Not true. There are many people in the show with cars, like in Pi-Kahuna, I doubt they were all rich. And in the recent     Spoiler:
    , there are lots of people using cars and different vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigeru
    Seriously, why does everyone use a bike or feet to get around from place to place? You don't see any cars around in the anime (and I know they exist). What's up with that? Is this to create a futuristic-medieval image (like in Star Wars)?
    lets all all the older ppl do...like Nurse Joy, and bigger city consist of them...

and also the guy that appears at every BF Symbol battle has one too...lol

so...yea there

but hey..it's better to travel by FEET OR BIKE..in my opinon...u don't wanna see a CHUBBY ASH...all those exercise have kept them in shape
    (>^_^)> !i!i!i! ~ŁańkaŃ \|/ ßlάĉK §ϋŃ~ !i!i!i! <(^_^<)

Click here to be directed to the game ---> Pokemon Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by ŁańkaŃ

but hey..it's better to travel by FEET OR BIKE..in my opinon...u don't wanna see a CHUBBY ASH...all those exercise have kept them in shape
    LOL, and the guy you're talking about is Scott.

Remember, Prof. Birch has a car too. although when he used it, it was more like a roller coaster (see first Hoenn episode)
    You never were there....but you never were here, either...
    This the Prince Manaphy, my bishie. *hugs*
    Thanks to Coronis for the Manaphy sprite and ~*SeijisSeviper*~ for the Anti-Manaphy!

Quote Originally Posted by Torkie10
    As for the sky; some people have pokemon that know fly. No planes needed.
    Planes DO exist in the Pokemon world. So do blimps, and hot air balloons.

And for that matter, the Pokemon world has trains, too. You use one to go from Goldenrod to Saffron in GSC...
    Diamond Team:

Yeah also in the anime when ash is in GoldenRod team rocket get sent to Saffron i believe.Also in "In a Meowth to a Flame"The Proffesor has a limosine(sp?)(big car).

As has been mentioned, it's harder to catch Pokémon while driving around in a car. You're liable to miss a lot of the ones you'd want to catch. Most of the ones Ash has caught, he'd have never even seen if he used a car.

Also, some people don't really need cars. A flying Pokémon is a better way to get around if it's large enough to carry you; you never have to worry about traffic jams.

Speaking of Flying, an airplane is seen this morning (Island Time).

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>
    ~Reincarnated from Dark Absol to Flame Haze SnS~
    To become a Flame Haze, one must be a vessel for the Lord of the Crimson Realm
    Anime Character Bishie: Shana from Shakugan no Shana
    Currently playing: Hyrule Warriors (Wii U) and Assassin's Creed - Rogue (X-Box 360 S)

Obviously, if one is driving in a car, one runs the chance of smooshing a Pikachu. (Which is some fans' deep desire...) Paved roads weren't all the rage in Kanto; it was mostly forests. You can't fit a car through a forest. Now that they are in a more civilized area, it's too late for cars. (Wow. That makes no sense.)

Besides, they are too young to drive. Except for Brock, who piloted lots of transportation devices, like a blimp, motor boats, and whatnot. And he can't drive the car if the heroes ever get one, because then that would give him a purpose... *ducks*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast