Thread: WiFi

Default WiFi

right, i have tried absolutely everything suggested at all to connect my ds to router. anyway ive got MPH and ACWW on the way and i really want to play you guys . enough is enough. ive decided to take the plunge and buy an official dongle, trouble is my router---wireless--->my laptop---dongle--->DS. basically can my ds piggyback from the dongle even tho my laptop itself is connected wirelessly? please help guys, cos i cant wait to visit ur towns lol
    0129 8290 9922

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as there's an access point available, an unlimited number of wireless enabled devices can use the access point, in this case, the wireless router. So to answer your question: yes, the DS can use a wireless connection your laptop is wirelessly connected to.
    not dead

But wouldnt there be some kind of limit, like bandwidth?
    Because I dont see how a very large number of wireless devices can connect to 1 access point.
    Maybe there is a limit, but the limit is pretty big.

Brawl Status:
    Subspace Emissary...COMPLETE
    FC:1333-1945-4361
    Who I play as: Sonic, Capt. Falcon, and Mario; I may use others though.
    PM me if you wanna Brawl.

I'm back to Pokemon again (gasp!), so feel free to PM me if you want to trade/battle.
    Currently wanting:
    TRU Shaymin
    Most starters (not Sinnoh, Mudkip, or Charmander)
    PM me with offers for any of these (especially TRU Shaymin)

If I've understood this correctly, you have a wireless access point, which your laptop is connected to. This doesn't work with your DS so you're getting a USB adapter for your laptop.

This will work no problem. Basically, the software for the Nintendo USB adapter will connect to your internet connection as normal, and allow data transfer between the DS and the internet (with the usb adapter as the 'link').

In short, yes - it'll work. ^_^

Yup definatly because my dad's laptop is connected and Wi-Fi works fine (except for occasional dissconnections which probably have nothing to do with the laptop)

Brawl Status:
    Subspace Emissary...COMPLETE
    FC:1333-1945-4361
    Who I play as: Sonic, Capt. Falcon, and Mario; I may use others though.
    PM me if you wanna Brawl.

I'm back to Pokemon again (gasp!), so feel free to PM me if you want to trade/battle.
    Currently wanting:
    TRU Shaymin
    Most starters (not Sinnoh, Mudkip, or Charmander)
    PM me with offers for any of these (especially TRU Shaymin)

hmm ok then thanks for ur help everyone, 'specially muckers! (ps are you on the liksang forums too? i swear ive seen you there?) as i live in the UK im ordering my connector from play.com for a reasonable 25 quid, and i have MPH and ACWW on the way... cant wait!
    p.s. is their software that u install to connect a ds to it? how does it work for security etc, i dont want just anyone leeching my connection!
    0129 8290 9922

Only other DS' could possibly use it. The software needs authorization from your computer to stop random people with their DS' accessing the WiFi. If anything your more likely to be hijacked through your routers connection

Some info on it: http://www.nintendowifi.com/consumer...tingStarted.do
    Last edited by Paradox; 21st March 2006 at 8:10 PM.

ok thanks everyone... i found MKDS! it was stuck behind the sofa...my dad almost threw it out! parents lol. who needs em!
    anyway my dongles been shipped and soon il be online, anyone want to race when im connected?
    0129 8290 9922