Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon IS going to be Recasted...-_-;

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty
    Uh, how? Alyssa was concerned that she was too used to the current English voice actors and that all of a sudden shortchanging them would disrupt the current psyche she has of the characters.

An audience who has no idea as to what the original Japanese raws were like would have no problem with unnecessary edits and mistakes. This is a completely different case study: this audience will be fully cognizant of voices that sound different once they hear them.

Voices are a major component of animated features. Visual edits and music edits can be easily undetected. Changes in the voice cast will not; it's a fallacious comparison.
    Let's retrace what she said.

I'm against any form of recasting since it could break the whole series.

This is EXACTLY the same reaction people have when going from English to Japanese. Their primary complaints are "Omg they're gonna butcher it!" or "Omg the voices will suck and aren't going to be the same as I'm use to!"

The point is, pointing out different voice groups won't exactly "break" a show. It's still the same show only with different voices. The complaints are getting ridiculous simply because people are used to the current voices and are automatically claiming the show will be ruined by new voices. :\ While the hardcore and older fans may think this, the younger TARGET audience won't care as they're just watching the show for what it is.

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

We just don't want a change. Can't you understand that?

Anyway, she replied with just a short message from the one I replied back to her earlier about the site on Bulbagarden:

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Taylor
    Thanks again Scott!
    V.
    It seems that she is truely dedicated to answering her fans

She truely is my favorite Voice Actor.

~Scott

3DS: 1590 4683 0583, Wii:1455 7087 4777 5760, PSN: MidnightScott

I love the Nintendo 3DS, games owned: 17
    Japanese Flare Red 3DS GET! 1891 1352 3198

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Let's retrace what she said.

I'm against any form of recasting since it could break the whole series.

This is EXACTLY the same reaction people have when going from English to Japanese. Their primary complaints are "Omg they're gonna butcher it!" or "Omg the voices will suck and aren't going to be the same as I'm use to!"

The point is, pointing out different voice groups won't exactly "break" a show. It's still the same show only with different voices. The complaints are getting ridiculous simply because people are used to the current voices and are automatically claiming the show will be ruined by new voices. :\ While the hardcore and older fans may think this, the younger TARGET audience won't care as they're just watching the show for what it is.
    Those arguments against anime being licensed are indeed lame. Of course an English cast will sound different from a Japanese cast. It's an absolute given. How else would you get those Japanese voice actors to speak English?

However, you're comparing apples and oranges. This situation at hand right now is that an English voice cast had already been selected and the decision had been made eight years ago. You can't be fickle about these things. You're not going to change the actor and actresses of Friends in their eighth season. You're not going to all of a sudden replace Keifer Sutherland in 24 with Kurt Russell. Nor are you going to switch out Kevin Conroy's voice from doing Batman. When you choose voice actors, that actor becomes the character. His voice composes the composition in which that character is auditorily delivered and establishes how the character is conveyed. That's something you should not willfully change in a production.

Would you be happy if all of a sudden, Lucasfilm decides to change the way how lightsabers sounded? Or how about the screaming sound the TIE Fighter makes when it does a flyby? I don't think Star Wars fans would be happy and neither would I.

These things happen though, it'll sound weird for a while, but we'll get used to it eventually. o_o

The same thing happened with the whole "Sonic v/as being replaced by 4kids v/as" issue: The change was made, fans complained (Myself included so I suppose that makes me a hypocrite), and eventually we learned to accept it.

We'll just have to learn to accept it.

Personally, I give this my full support. I like the dub voices the way they are.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

I stopped watching Sonic X along time before the VC. I think I'll feel wierd hearing the characters with different voices.

~Scott

3DS: 1590 4683 0583, Wii:1455 7087 4777 5760, PSN: MidnightScott

I love the Nintendo 3DS, games owned: 17
    Japanese Flare Red 3DS GET! 1891 1352 3198

Would you be happy if all of a sudden, Lucasfilm decides to change the way how lightsabers sounded? Or how about the screaming sound the TIE Fighter makes when it does a flyby? I don't think Star Wars fans would be happy and neither would I.
    REALLY bad argument right there since those are sound effects. Only the 34-year old dorks living at home would care about THAT. >__>

This situation at hand right now is that an English voice cast had already been selected and the decision had been made eight years ago. You can't be fickle about these things.
    Fickle? This is the ONLY time they've changed voices in a LONG time. Not to mention, it's not even the same dubbing company to begin with. Not to mention, it's all the same. Even if it's not the same language between Japanese to English, it's still a DIFFERENCE to people who are used to one way. The reaction is still the same.

Nor are you going to switch out Kevin Conroy's voice from doing Batman.
    But you can have five different real life Batmen.

Heat Man Guest

My Opinion:

The company should do what is best for the pokemon show. If they feel that replacing the original VA's with imitators is for the best then they could go right ahead. I don't care, I barely watch the show so I don't care what happens to it. If the new VA's cause the downfall of the anime, it's their mistake. I'm not affected by it.

I have nothing against the people who care about the show.

REALLY bad argument right there since those are sound effects. Only the 34-year old dorks living at home would care about THAT. >__>
    No, it's not a bad argument. Considering that the medium we're talking about is the auditory medium, I'd say this is very relevant to what we're talking about.

In this case, Star Wars has been in the cultural medium since the late 1970's. Many sounds developed by Ben Burtt are still in use today by Lucasfilm and LucasArts because those sounds had already been defined and incorporated into Star Wars universe ever since their inception in A New Hope. Using different sound effects in Empire Strikes Back and Return Of the Jedi wouldn't have made sense; it would seem like a glaring error, especially with iconic sounds like the wave of a lightsaber.

Fickle? This is the ONLY time they've changed voices in a LONG time.
    When you're this late into a production, it's too late to change any voices. I think fickle was the wrong word to choose though. It's more like, "you can't be indecisive and shortchange the decisions you made eight years ago, back when you had time to actually experiment and make quick rectifications."

Not to mention, it's not even the same dubbing company to begin with. Not to mention, it's all the same. Even if it's not the same language between Japanese to English, it's still a DIFFERENCE to people who are used to one way. The reaction is still the same.
    Not really. When you're localizing an anime, your demand for an English voice cast is left unfulfilled. That demand clearly cannot be fulfilled by the original voice cast since they can only speak Japanese and not English. It's not reasonable to demand that you must have the original voice actors and that the English voice actors don't sound the same.

However, in this case, the demand for an English voice cast for Pokemon had already been fulfilled eight years ago by the current voice actors. This is a situation where the original voice cast is willing to continue to lend their voices and are clearly accessible to PUSA. It doesn't make sense you replace them with people who will imitate their voices when the original voice actors are the ones who are the best at... Well, imitating their own voices.

But you can have five different real life Batmen.
    Three different Batmen. They kept Michael Keaton for the first two Batmans. Then the series when down the crapper when Joel Schmaucher came on board and used Val Kilmer and George Clooney as Batman.

Having a different Batman makes sense in Batman Begins since it was a continuity reboot; the need to maintain the same actor as Batman isn't as strong.

...And why is everybody using my monochromatic stamp graphic? Is it that good?
    Last edited by Swifty; 24th March 2006 at 7:39 AM.

When you're this late into a production, it's too late to change any voices. I think fickle was the wrong word to choose though. It's more like, "you can't be indecisive and shortchange the decisions you made eight years ago, back when you had time to actually experiment and make quick rectifications."
    Once again, they had NOTHING to do with the decision when they're a DIFFERENT DUBBING COMPANY. They didn't choose who would do who's voice when 4Kids hired them. They're just starting out with the show and it costs money to hire VAs, pay for royalties with anything that comes from the original version (such as Pokémon voices or music), as well as money spent on any kind of paint editing. Plus their's broadcasting and advertisers which requires funding for the show to air. 4Kids made the decision to hire their specific group, not TAJ Productions or PUSA. Their decision was to go a cheaper route. Be thankful they're going with imitations at the very least as opposed to different voices.

Not really. When you're localizing an anime, your demand for an English voice cast is left unfulfilled. That demand clearly cannot be fulfilled by the original voice cast since they can only speak Japanese and not English. It's not reasonable to demand that you must have the original voice actors and that the English voice actors don't sound the same.
    Obviously you're not one of those people so you're not exactly aware of WHY they complain. Said people complain because the English voices tend not to sound like the character should sound like or don't put enough emotion into the character, NOT because they're speaking another language. e_e

However, in this case, the demand for an English voice cast for Pokemon had already been fulfilled eight years ago by the current voice actors.
    Not everyone agrees. As mentioned before, at least now we may end up with more VAs or ones that have better ranges with their voices instead of having Lisa Ortiz using the SAME VOICE for every character she voices. Some people don't agree with how Eric Stuart has been providing his voices, primarily as James. Hence why some of us don't even watch the dub to begin with.

This is a situation where the original voice cast is willing to continue to lend their voices and are clearly accessible to PUSA.
    Only three VAs have spoken, so far. The rest we don't know if they're accessable, nor do we have any clue of what kind of budget TAJ Productions has or if they could even afford to hire the current cast. While three of them are willing, details are still sketchy.

It doesn't make sense you replace them with people who will imitate their voices when the original voice actors are the ones who are the best at... Well, imitating their own voices.
    Read last response.

Three different Batmen. They kept Michael Keaton for the first two Batmans. Then the series when down the crapper when Joel Schmaucher came on board and used Val Kilmer and George Clooney as Batman.
    Count Adam West for the TV series and the recent actor for the recent Batman movie as well. :P

Having a different Batman makes sense in Batman Begins since it was a continuity reboot; the need to maintain the same actor as Batman isn't as strong.
    Point is that it doesn't follow continuity to begin with and that just about anyone can decide to hell with continuity and go on with making changes.

...And why is everybody using my monochromatic stamp graphic? Is it that good?
    I'm being different here and simply copying the style due to sheer laziness while using completely different arguments. Instead of bickering about "saving the dub" for using the old cast or the new cast, I say we ask that PUSA give us UNEDITED DVDs with subtitled Japanese audio included. :P

Akilah Imani Guest

This is getting blown way out of proportion. >_>

Well, I surmise that I'm one of the few who looks forward to the change. I really don't mind, for me hearing the same voices - which I already found annoying - again and again gets boring. Aside from that factor, its common for some shows to change their VAs every once in a while. I understand that it may be disappointing for some of you, but Eric Stewart, Veronica Taylor, Rachel Lillis, ect. have done this for ten years, they've had their run, its someone else's turn now.

It has the potential to either be good or bad, either way, any "true" Pokemon fan, who's been with the series since the beginning, wouldn't allow this to ruin their love for Pokemon, nor keep them from watching it. <_<

You'll grow accustomed to the new VAs just as you've grown accustomed to Eric, Veronica, and Rachel.

Akilah
    Last edited by Akilah Imani; 24th March 2006 at 9:04 AM.

Once again, they had NOTHING to do with the decision when they're a DIFFERENT DUBBING COMPANY.
    I'm confused as to who we're talking about in this current context. I was talking about PUSA, FYI. I'm not sure if we're on the same page right now.

Obviously you're not one of those people so you're not exactly aware of WHY they complain. Said people complain because the English voices tend not to sound like the character should sound like or don't put enough emotion into the character, NOT because they're speaking another language. e_e
    I'm perfectly aware of why they complain. The fact of the matter is that I'm sure the studios do their best to get the best sounding voice actors best fitted for their roles that were defined in the original language version. The best solution obviously would be to get the actual actors to reprise their roles. However, that's not possible because the said actual actors can't speak English. Therefore, we go on to the next best solution: get actors that sound the best in the local language and sound somewhat similar to their Japanese counterparts. It's not the best solution and retarded irrational hardcore fans will certainly be upset; however it's the best with what you have.

My argument is that if you want to get voices that sound similar to the original and those original voices are accessible and are a clear option, then the most absolutely rational thing to do is to reprise those original voice actors in their original roles. It's the most rational thing to do.

Only three VAs have spoken, so far. The rest we don't know if they're accessable, nor do we have any clue of what kind of budget TAJ Productions has or if they could even afford to hire the current cast. While three of them are willing, details are still sketchy.
    If only one original VA is what we can get, then we'll take it. If we can only get three, we'll take it. It's certainly better than having none of the voice actors reprise their original roles.

If it's a money issue, then we'll have to convince them to bite the bullet; that's what this letter writing campaign is all about. We're trying to show them that demand for the original voice actors is high enough to sustain supporting the original voice actors at a loss of what they originally wanted. If it is a heavy financial issue that'll cause them to go into the red in terms of revenue, then I concede; you cannot fight with reality. The fact that PUSA wanted to keep the old voice actors on principle but were limited by financial issues would be a perfectly okay alibi to me. However If they simply wanted to make a larger profit on Pokemon and were clearly in the black in terms of revenue, then nuh-uh; that's not going to fly.

Count Adam West for the TV series and the recent actor for the recent Batman movie as well. :P

Point is that it doesn't follow continuity to begin with and that just about anyone can decide to hell with continuity and go on with making changes.
    I think my point was that those Batmans follow different storylines and are established into different continuities; all those Batmans are considered as different people in different universes. That's clearly something we're not we're seeing with the Pokemon voice cast situation. There is no continuity reboot of the Pokemon anime storyline after the last 4Kid's dubbed episode airs; The storyline is still continuing with the very same characters after that point in time; again, there is no continuity reboot, there is no radical new direction... Unless they decided to suddenly redo the Ash mythos all over again, like what they do with continuity reboots in comic books and science fiction shows, changing the character's voice actor without a relevant transformation in the show makes no sense.
    Last edited by Swifty; 24th March 2006 at 9:45 AM.

Hey Ed, can I use your banner for my sig?

For arguements through the night. Oy Vey.

And thing is, you're acting like little brats. You've basically said "I don't want change. I don't care if it might improve the series.". You've tried and convicted the people who will be taking over.

Seriously, go the Battlestar route. The Battlestar pilot was awful, the acting was terrible. The fans complained and the studio in charge listened and when the actual show came out, the series was a huge hit.

You should do the same with this special. Treat it like a pilot episode. As soon as you see it, write PUSA with any critisms.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

I'm not really at all comfortable with this. I'm quite a subtle person when it comes to certain television programmes and I don't really adapt to change all that well. That's not to say the changes wont make a positive impact on the show, but when I watch pokémon I like it to be as consistant as possible throughout from when I first watched it (I guess I'm backward).

I've spent $400+ on dvd's on the dub building up a collection, which may sound horribly disturbing to some of you who aren't fans of the dub but nevertheless I think based on that I should try to do something, even if the affect I have on the cause is virtually negligible. Although it has to be said I live quite a distance away from PUSA studios.

I just thought, will they recast like Pikachu's voice and all that? Sorry if this has already been answered, I have issues reading through 18 pages :P
    -Formerly known as Banette-

Thanks to xxpoke_loverxx for the banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Banette
    I just thought, will they recast like Pikachu's voice and all that? Sorry if this has already been answered, I have issues reading through 18 pages :P
    Doubtful. Pikachu's voice comes with the Japanese episodes, so why would they have to get an English VA for that? The only reason they'd have to is if they're unable to get the actual sound clip of it's voice, but nowadays the Japanese writers always keep the dub in mind when they do stuff like that.

Also I think Al pretty much summed up my feelings on this whole thing. :3
    || The stars rule men, but God rules the stars. ||

OWNER OF THE CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE
    Cartoon Bish; Soundwave

I Wanna help save the actors, i dont want them to go it wont be the same without them
    IM BACK Everyone <3
    SPPF's NO 1 Ash ketchum Lover Forever <3 |Ash is My Bishie <3 * Holds Tight And Huggles
    [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/j9xzk4.jpg[/IMG]
    Soul Mate - Shikamaru | Banner - Katsu | Erica ~Still a Mudkip + Sceptile Lover
    The Mudkip | Torchic | Treecko Fan club | Ash Doll | Ash Club <3 | Emiline Ketchum - roleplay
    Pair - Flare | Penpals : Katsu Katsuko and Endless Summer
    Em*Katsu*Rubi*Hika*Kelly*Zino*Tama = The SatoQuintruplets
    Satochu Lover Twins - Pikagirl
    Ask me for my pearl code! | Diamond Friend Code - 3823 5121 4699
    No matter where you are Ash your always gonna be mine

Volt Tackle Guest

I'm cheering on the people who are convicing the Pokemon Company to change thier minds. No matter how good the immitators are the originals are much better. I would do join in but i have no computer.

I'm confused as to who we're talking about in this current context. I was talking about PUSA, FYI. I'm not sure if we're on the same page right now.
    Alright, let me slow it down a bit for you.

PUSA and TAJ Productions. They didn't change their minds on anything. They're not making secondary changes when they obtained the rights for the dub. They're not deciding to scrap the current cast as result of change of mind. Why?

BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HIRE THEM OR CHOOSE THEM FOR THE 4KIDS DUB IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Better?

TBA, feel free to use it. Just host it on your own thing. :P

I would do join in but i have no computer.
    ..Do explain how in the world you're on the forums then. o_O

I'm certainly anti-recast. Heck, I was angry when they recast Joy and Jenny.
    For various reasons, (not least because I've grown tired of this username), I've moved my operations over to other websites. If you're interested in following my adventures as I explore and subvert the many worlds of Nintendo through prose, look for me on Archive of Our Own, Bulbagarden, or OverClocked ReMix as "Daidalos."

And if you're a fan or a comic-maker from the old days, thanks for more than five unforgettable years of community, comics, and creativity. And thanks for remembering.

Peace out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercougar
    I'm certainly anti-recast. Heck, I was angry when they recast Joy and Jenny.
    That's a whole different story, especially when the new VA doesn't even sound anything like the characters the last VA portrayed, let alone puts any feeling into it. o_O

Thanks Ed, but I need the code for it. I think getting subtitled DVD's is more important than the voice actors being changed.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

To Pokemon USA:

I am glad to see you taking over for the Pokemon franchise since 4Kids did not do the best job. They get rid of all of the music, and culture that makes the series so great. They refused to even release the Original Japanese on their Pokemon DVDs which most anime DVDs offer. However there is one thing that makes the dub so great, its voice actors. Us Pokemon fans have known and adjusted to the original voice actors for about 10 years now. I'm sure they would be infuriated to find out that the voices are to going be replaced with new ripoffs that try to copy the originals. I am aware that you have probably already gotten many letters like this one in the past, but I will hope you will reconsider your decision to get rid of the pokemon voice actors that have been doing such a good job for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    Thanks Ed, but I need the code for it. I think getting subtitled DVD's is more important than the voice actors being changed.
    Just right-click and save it and upload it to your own server. XP

You know, I didn't even read the thread. I figure "Pokemon Politics" has been done to ****ing death.

So, how about this, guys: LET WHAT HAPPENS HAPPEN.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast